Author Topic: Are the oldest topics deleted?/What to do with old topics (SOLVED)  (Read 5280 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Are the oldest topics deleted ?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »
Hey everyone! So now that our forum is older than 2 I was thinking it might be time to have this discussion. We have a few topics that are no longer relevant and have been locked.

My proposal, in order to keep things from getting too hard to find, is to make an archive board. Once a topic becomes irrelevant or inactive for say over a year, we can move it to a new Archive Board. That way our past history can be kept for reference and memories, but we can keep things from becoming too cluttered.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Do you think this is a good idea?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
Re: Are the oldest topics deleted?/What to do with old topics
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
I think that makes sense. Sorry I don't have more to add... :P
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:20 PM »
Hey everyone! So now that our forum is older than 2 I was thinking it might be time to have this discussion. We have a few topics that are no longer relevant and have been locked.

My proposal, in order to keep things from getting too hard to find, is to make an archive board. Once a topic becomes irrelevant or inactive for say over a year, we can move it to a new Archive Board. That way our past history can be kept for reference and memories, but we can keep things from becoming too cluttered.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Do you think this is a good idea?

That sounds like a good idea.

Is there any criteria other than activity that would render a topic irrelevant? Certain niche-interest subjects, for example, don't get posted about very much, but it's still useful to have those threads open.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »
That sounds like a good idea.

Is there any criteria other than activity that would render a topic irrelevant? Certain niche-interest subjects, for example, don't get posted about very much, but it's still useful to have those threads open.

When I say irrelevant topics I was mostly referring to things like "chapter 8 speculation" and "the forum's 1st birthday". Topics that haven't been posted in for over a year can be added, but we could put in a clause where if X amount of people request it be reopened, we move it back and reopen it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
When I say irrelevant topics I was mostly referring to things like "chapter 8 speculation" and "the forum's 1st birthday". Topics that haven't been posted in for over a year can be added, but we could put in a clause where if X amount of people request it be reopened, we move it back and reopen it.

OHH okay, that makes perfect sense, then. :V
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
The idea of an Archive board sounds good! Maybe a pinned favourites thread inside it would be good too, with links to the really interesting old threads. Right now it seems really chaotic trying to go back through old threads, and that would be good to bring a level of organization to it. :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
I've started up a board for the archived topics, feel free to give suggestions and comments here.
Not all the topics have been added yet, what's there is a bit of a sample.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
Once a topic becomes irrelevant or inactive for say over a year, we can move it to a new Archive Board.
but we could put in a clause where if X amount of people request it be reopened, we move it back and reopen it.
As far as I can see, it is in fact a move in that the topics (and the posts therein) can still be reached through the old hyperlinks. I'ld like to point out that that's an important feature, breaking the existing links and putting the topics into a board that people will exclude from searches more often than not would IMHO rob the topics of their chance of ever becoming active/reused again.

... otherwise, full agreement.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15