Author Topic: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8  (Read 14132 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2022, 04:38:39 AM »
Golf, at least in its modern form, requires a large amount of time, energy, water, and chemical input to be applied to a large area of land in order to produce the sort of very even greens surface that won't send the ball in unexpected directions. I wouldn't expect that to have survived the famines.
Well, we have variants to address those points already. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2022, 11:28:06 AM »
There’s also winter golf :) But yeah, not likely to be among the top sports!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2022, 12:58:07 PM »
Oh I had forgotten about farming competitions.  Iceland will certainly have things like a state fair to show off animals/produce/herding skills. It's a pretty vital part of the farm industry. There's usually smaller games for people and particularly children as well.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »
Well, we have [url]variants to [url] address those points already. 8)

I almost added something like "well, maybe miniature golf". You're right, of course, that some variants might have survived; but I suspect the book that was rescued (or left in the cat tank?) wasn't primarily about those variants.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2022, 03:40:46 AM »
I suspect the book that was rescued (or left in the cat tank?) wasn't primarily about those variants.
The book promised to make the reader into a professional golf player, which would be atypical for any variants other than "standard" and minigolf, I guess, and to do so within 30 days, which suggests that it must refer to some version so apocryphal that we have not even thought of it yet. :3

(Maybe its author invented one of his own and in order to qualify as a "professional", all you'll have to do is to send him a "where do I find that 'professional league' you're talking about!?" letter so that he can enter your name on his sucker list? >:D )

On a marginally more serious note, the golfer displayed on the title seems to be wearing rather "traditional" clothing. No glove or cap, though, and the club he's holding would be a putter (if not a minigolf one) ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2022, 12:26:57 PM »
Plus Outback Australia has Desert Golf, not to mention the Todd River Regatta, a footrace run by teams each carrying the shell of a boat through a course along the dry bed of the Todd River. It’s fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 12:38:51 PM »
Just so you know I am declaring a break fir Christmas. I don’t think anyone is actually up to date with the current schedule, or at least hasn’t commented according to it. Let’s carry on in January!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »
Plus Outback Australia has Desert Golf, not to mention the Todd River Regatta, a footrace run by teams each carrying the shell of a boat through a course along the dry bed of the Todd River. It’s fun!

We have bed races . . .

No river beds involved. Actual beds. More or less the kind of beds one sleeps on, though embellishments of wildly varying types are common, as are costumes. Attach wheels. One team member must remain on the bed. Others push. Attaching wheels so they stay on is recommended, but often not attained.

Róisín

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2022, 08:38:42 PM »
We have bed races here too, but more often in the cities.

thorny

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2022, 11:58:43 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing them in the cities here (though somebody may correct me); I thought it was a small-town thing.

Antipodes!

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2022, 12:52:32 AM »

I definitely think what's done will vary by location.  Like the great plains in America would be good for a form of golf - provided it's been cleansed and they didn't need the land for food.  Which is possible.

I imagine areas like the outback would be incredibly inhospitable for trolls, aren't food for farming, and would end up a good choice for some recreation.

Just so you know I am declaring a break fir Christmas. I don’t think anyone is actually up to date with the current schedule, or at least hasn’t commented according to it. Let’s carry on in January!

You mean this isn't the official SSSS sports thread? 

Sounds good to me, enjoy your holidays!

Róisín

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2022, 01:12:10 AM »
Small towns do bed races too, but some of the most memorable ones I have seen took place in the 1960s in the broad streets around Melbourne University. For some obscure reason Engineering students were often involved. We general science students used to provide peripheral amusements: my own speciality was stinks, smoke and sparkles.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2022, 03:09:35 AM »

You mean this isn't the official SSSS sports thread? 

Sounds good to me, enjoy your holidays!

Oops sorry, didn’t mean it like that! Please continue the discussion about sports and other games, it’s very relevant to the season (see e.g. Advent Calendar entry for the 18th) and came up because of canon, no worries whatsoever. I didn’t mean to shut you up.

There IS a sports thread too (at least one) if you want to check it out: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1145.0

dmeck7755

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2022, 07:19:05 AM »
Small towns do bed races too, but some of the most memorable ones I have seen took place in the 1960s in the broad streets around Melbourne University. For some obscure reason Engineering students were often involved. We general science students used to provide peripheral amusements: my own speciality was stinks, smoke and sparkles.

I did not know bed races was a thing.  My town does them on Labor day.  (We have a parade later in the morning, so the street is closed to traffic) I just thought it was some little local town weirdness
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »
I did not know bed races was a thing.  My town does them on Labor day.  (We have a parade later in the morning, so the street is closed to traffic) I just thought it was some little local town weirdness

I think it is a local town weirdness that just happens to be wide spread to many local towns.   :)

Oops sorry, didn’t mean it like that! Please continue the discussion about sports and other games, it’s very relevant to the season (see e.g. Advent Calendar entry for the 18th) and came up because of canon, no worries whatsoever. I didn’t mean to shut you up.

There IS a sports thread too (at least one) if you want to check it out: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1145.0

Ah you didn't you're fine.