Author Topic: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8  (Read 12877 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2023, 09:30:30 PM »
I think it was letting Hilja bring the package in, after Lalli told her there was something wrong with it.

Though I think it wasn't exactly agreeing to let the package in -- I think it was looking Hilja in the eyes when Hilja told her to do that (page 118, adventure II). It was after she looked Hilja in the eyes that she agreed to let the package in; she might have done so because she'd already let the Kade in. I think that's what the Kade's reminding her of, when she was about to try to cleanse Hilja's corpse; and she says she was stupid, stupid and then tells Lalli that he mustn't look her in the eyes. (Pages 139-40 in Adventure II.)

dmeck7755

« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
I thought it was looking Hilja in the eye, which allowed Hilja to bring in the infected beast home, to infect everyone.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2023, 12:03:51 PM »
I also think that Ensi's mistake was looking into the Kade's eyes. But I don't think they ever name her mistake outright, so that may not be it.

Re the abusiveness: SSSS reads to me like Minna did not realize that what she depicted was abuse.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
Reads that way to me too; she just thinks it's normal behavior.

Which is what worries me about her own life.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2023, 12:47:15 AM »
I fear the acceptance of abusive behaviour as the norm is all of a piece with the religious stuff. That is all too often the case, sadly.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
I fear the acceptance of abusive behaviour as the norm is all of a piece with the religious stuff. That is all too often the case, sadly.
Though there is the question if Minna sees it like that in RL or if it's just part of the Y90 world. I mean Hannu and Paju acted like that too, but they were still seen as mean. Just that most of the others are too scared or whatever to do anything about it. Particularly Hannu's idea that Paju is always mad at him for some reason, he has no idea why (and I guess he doesn't really care either). I suppose Hannu is simply not intimidated by her in the slightest, unlike most of everyone else.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2023, 02:51:15 PM »
Beginning of chapter 8 shows us a noita doing noita stuff. Do you recall what you thought when we were shown what Lalli was up to? Were you more like Emil or like Tuuri?

Here we also have Mikkel stating he would never melt candles into the soup. Should we believe? Did you? Where did the fan concept of candle soup come from, as we clearly see here Mikkel would never!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

noonnoommoon

« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2023, 03:04:24 PM »
This chapter's cover is so pretty. I've always admired Minna's ability to draw snow!(the color scheme too my god)
Wow this fandom is Old

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
364-370
Page 264 has a beautiful transition and simple but effective visual storytelling.

Does anyone else find page 367 panel 2 unclear? I think it’s supposed to be Sigrun’s arms stretched upwards but I am not sure.

I don’t really remember what I thought of Lalli’s actions on first reading. On reread, I thought I would find it offputting due to the animal gore, maybe I did on my first read though, but this time I least I just thought it was nice of Lalli.

Can’t say for sure but Mikkel probably did use the candles for food. If not here, then later. Candles are not great, but a food source is a food source.

Is it odd that Mikkel had seen Emil’s educational records? I know they had profiles that Mikkel has likely seen but education records seems like a lot. Maybe things like high school dropout would be on there but I don't see why Mikkel would know more than that. I think it’s just story convenience, which is not the worst thing, but still. (Insured theory that Mikkel works for Trond for Secrect Reasons here.)

I forget if I have said this before but something that makes SSSS great is the character interactions. So many pages just ooze with it! A1 gives lots of small and big moments between characters and it really shines because of it. Also, a big reason A2 was much weaker was because it lacked this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:59:12 PM by NightMareMage »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2023, 03:39:35 PM »
Nightmaremage, panel 2 of 267 looks to me like Sigrun reaching out in front of her, to feel the snow or indicating it, or both. In any case I’m sure it’s her.

I can’t quite remember what I thought about Lalli here, but the butchering on p 269 looks so strongly ritualistic that I think I saw it as noita stuff the first time around as well as now. I think I would remember if I was badly grossed out. I was bingeing on my first read, so I probably went too fast to appreciate the gravity of this fully. Poor Emil, who doesn’t believe in mages at all this early in the story!

And yes, you are absolutely right about the interactions! Sadly missing almost completely in Adv 2.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2023, 03:58:54 PM »
The reason I think Sigrun is reaching up is because of the little picture in the text bubble. In it, it looks like her arms are up.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2023, 05:11:41 PM »
Out of sequence, sorry, but as NightmareMage said, there were a lot of small and telling interactions in building Adv. 1.  Here's one from chap. 7 that still blows me away.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2023, 08:34:45 PM »
Though out adv 1 adventure, there are little hints about Lalli and Emil.  You could ship them (as I do).

But they can just be a bromance.  Really close friends.  It is always great to see them together. 

Lalli being stuck in Emil’s head to me makes the see the others perspective
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2023, 01:40:42 PM »
Beginning of chapter 8 shows us a noita doing noita stuff. Do you recall what you thought when we were shown what Lalli was up to? Were you more like Emil or like Tuuri?

Here we also have Mikkel stating he would never melt candles into the soup. Should we believe? Did you? Where did the fan concept of candle soup come from, as we clearly see here Mikkel would never!

Yes well -- I guess Emil had a reason to suspect. Also, it may not mean he did not put candles into the soup, only that he did not waste energy by melting them separately. Or that he did it later, just because they gave him the idea. They were rather low on resources.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2023, 04:13:33 PM »
Oh yeah that’s right! Maybe it occurred to him right because Sigrun asked that the candles could be used to supplement the low rations!