Author Topic: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8  (Read 12867 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8
« on: October 03, 2022, 06:21:52 AM »
Either way, we're the first humans venturing this far since the dawn of our time.  :mikkel:
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Copenhagen - Chapters 5-8
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 08:08:44 AM »
p 223.  I noticed Emil is wearing white boots.  They will not stay white without a lot of work...
Mikkel looks bored

In Minna's comments she talks about signing for her house.  I am thinking that the comic and the sale of books and ad revenue must have been good enough to buy a house.  (Good stuff)

p 228.  I think this is Lalli's first taste of refined sugar.  I am sure he would have had sweets like honey, dried fruit.  Though they would probably be few and far between.  Yes, sugar can be addictive.  I know people who tried to remove it from their diet.  It is very difficult especially if you by processed anything.  (I was shocked to see how much is in Ketchup) 

p 229  score!! 

p 230 Emil insulting the dead...

p 232.  The first view of a city.  COOL

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:10:21 AM by dmeck7755 »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 12:10:08 PM »
Early chp 5 has some surprising (in reference to other parts of the comic) high tech: the proximity alert system, decontamination closet (UV? We don’t really know) and the decon spray. I wonder if they run out of the spray later, or why does Lalli have to take (cold?) baths? And Mikkel is constantly doing laundry. But not today!

And, the city! I probably wasn’t paying proper attention at all when I first binged through here - I was delighted with the city scenes, the ruined interiors etc. And I probably completely missed Emil’s friend on p 232 before! He’s very calm and brave, considering! (He probably didn’t really see it, just a flash of movement (and is rookie enough to not yet know a flash of movement is lethal in an inner city environment)).

Again a great combination or adventure and danger, humour, and forming relationships with new teammates.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »
Early chp 5 has some surprising (in reference to other parts of the comic) high tech: the proximity alert system, decontamination closet (UV? We don’t really know) and the decon spray. I wonder if they run out of the spray later, or why does Lalli have to take (cold?) baths? And Mikkel is constantly doing laundry. But not today!

If I'm remembering right for the bath - Lalli got super covered in it so all the dregs had to be washed out of his hair and such.

The decontamination is probably more like a disinfectant spray.  If there's a lump of raw chicken, you can't just spray disinfectant on it and expect it to be good - it would have to be fully washed away and any small bits removed.

For the laundry - I have a family of 5 and laundry is basically nonstop. 5-6 adults living in close quarters without proper plumbing? Clean laundry helps.

(and is rookie enough to not yet know a flash of movement is lethal in an inner city environment)).

Emil's earlier obsession with how his teammates see him definitely didn't help him. He probably was afraid of being called jumpy or seeing things or having his bravery questioned.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 10:57:27 AM »
Sympathy for the laundry! When my first husband (a mining engineer) was still alive, and our five kids were little, and we lived in the bush, often with no electricity, laundry was just a permanent ongoing thing.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 11:07:24 AM »
Sympathy for the laundry! When my first husband (a mining engineer) was still alive, and our five kids were little, and we lived in the bush, often with no electricity, laundry was just a permanent ongoing thing.

I cringe when I have to do manual laundry for a few pieces.  I would hate to think what it was like for a family!! You are my hero!!

-Frank Zappa

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 11:59:20 AM »
We lived, among other places, at Tomahawk Creek in outback Far North Queensland. Population 8, occasionally 11 when everyone was there including us. We were around 50k from Comet, the nearest place with facilities such as a post office.

We had to haul water from the waterhole on the mostly dry creek, and then heat it on an open fire or a portable gas fire. Difficult with two of the kids still in nappies. But a good place to live anyway. But those types of experiences did give me a degree of sympathy for Emil in the comic, a city person suddenly reduced to that lifestyle.

Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 01:15:08 PM »
Dreki, you are of course right about any lumps etc needing getting washed off. I seem to think the baths were a regular occurrence later, but maybe it’s just all the fanfic I’ve read :) And you are absolutely correct  about the close quarters and need for frequent laundering of basically everything.

Ok now I’m thinking how on top of everything else the inside of the Cattank also smells of damp laundry.

dmeck7755

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 01:54:13 PM »
Quote from: Jitter link=topic=1315.msg192455#msg192455 date=1665162908

Ok now I’m thinking how on top of everything else the inside of the Cattank also smells of damp laundry.
[/quote

If it smells like soap, that wont be so bad..but if it smells like laundry left in the washer too long EWWWW

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 02:44:03 PM »
I’m thinkin the latter. Maybe not quite as if left in the washer but when trying to line dry in damp conditions (which I believe corresponds quite well with Danish winter weather)… at lest Mikkel is drying things outside and the air is probably generally clean, so maybe it’s not too bad. Unless it never ever gets properly dry at all and has to be folded inside the tiny living quarters while still completely damp. Uuf.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:56:07 PM by Jitter »

dmeck7755

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 05:25:34 PM »
I’m thinkin the latter. Maybe not quite as if left in the washer but when trying to line dry in damp conditions (which I believe likely corresponds quite well with Danish winter weather)… at lest Mikkel is drying things outside and the air is probably generally clean, so maybe it’s not to bad. Unless it never ever gets properly dry at all and has to be folded inside the tiny living quarters while still completel damp. Uuf.

I use a clothes line as much as I can, and every so often i fold something that may have been not quite dry.   Especially in New England winters.  I *know* that smell and hate it. Luckily for us modern folks there is Frebreeze

-Frank Zappa

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2022, 11:36:02 PM »
Luckily for us modern folks there is Frebreeze

Ack! I'd rather smell the mold!

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 05:00:54 AM »
One advantage of cold is that it dulls the nose! (I remember winter wilderness camping adventures where I shared tents for several days, without proper hygiene--this was mostly New England, no saunas--and the smell would hit us only during the drive back.) Not sure how cold it is in the tank, though.

And yeah, Lalli's decon baths are a fanfic staple, but I think we only see them once, on page 305? They seem to involve a (cold?) hose to remove the bits, and then a warm bathtub. We don't see why he needed one, btw, and it's still unclear to me why Emil is involved. Anyway, surely at least Emil and Sigrun get the same treatment when they come back? They are much more likely to get covered in goop.

Onto the comic!

I love Sigrun's comments on scouts on page 221. There's clearly some history there.

p223, yeah, white boots, whose idea was that? In general, I would like to meet the uniforms' designer and ask them some questions about their choices. (Although I suppose they might just be recolors of the cleanser/scout/hunter/support uniforms of the military of some country?)

p224, why is Lalli scratching instead of knocking? Because it's quieter? He's not actually a cat.

p226, yeah, that looks like UV light, but the way the clothes are all bunched together it's not going to get into all the crevices, so hmm.

p227, Lalli now knows how to give detailed scouting reports! Sorta. And we see that little 'leadership struggle' between Sigrun and Mikkel, plus... poor Emil.

p228, Emil doesn't lie! He did punch a giant in one of its faces--on the train. His previous field experience really was non-existent, wasn't it? And ooh, the first time we see radio black speech! Those early pages were so dense with information.

p230, I have heard many theories about Mikkel's relocation, but "he was fired" is still my top contender. And poor Emil, trying to sound cool.

p231. Amazing! But hmm, those open-wide houses suggest explosions, don't they?

p233. Wait, Emil's boots look black now. I know there's shadow, but Sigrun's are still white. Is that the design?? White in front, black in the back??

fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
Ack! I'd rather smell the mold!

I do not like the "fake febreeze" smells also.  Usually vinegar or bleach will kill the smell.

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 11:00:26 AM »
Tehta, there are no burn marks, doesn’t look like explosions. Maybe all residents became one giant and exited via roof?

Next, entering the first site! Sigrun’s rules seem sensible, although it might have been more sensible to set them while still at the Cattank so that Tuuri could have translated. And also rules are more useful if you actually stick to them. Other than that, I like the way Sigrun checks the site first. Her pep talk to Emil (ready to give up at first setback) on p 241 is also good. Furthermore it sounds like she’s actually done scavenging before. Has she, or is she just making it up to cheer up her little Viking?

Patpats from Lalli on the same page probably also lift Emil’s spirits considerably. A nice and actively friendly gesture from Lalli, which I had completely forgotten.

And poor Lalli, first he has to run all night and then scout for the away team during the day! No wonder he’s not very cheerful.