Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 572367 times)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
Good mornblegh, I'm potatobunny, also referred to as "bunny", and potato on Disqus. 1.7 Tuomis, making me the same age as Hannu, and precisely 4 days older than Minna. I found SSSS through Girl Genius, read it once, went to ARTD, read that twice, reread SSSS, and started commenting when I read SSSS for the third time.
I'm from Malaysia, 3.5th generation Malaysian Chinese, and the languages I know are English (like duh), Chinese, and Malay (they tell me my accent sounds foreign, though.  :( ). I can read Indonesian because it's very close to Malay, and I can understand spoken Hokkien (Min Nan) and just a smidge of spoken Cantonese. I've considered learning Icelandic and moving to Iceland, partly because my Icelandic friend's mom wanted to adopt me and I hadn't gotten a job. (My parents are alive and well, and I have a job now.)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 11:29:18 PM »
Hello, forums at large! I'm known as Lenny here, Lenny or LennyThynn every place else. I live on the same island as OragamiOwl, though on the opposite side.

My discovery of Minna's works was pretty much the same as potatobunny's! GirlGenius got me onto SSSS, then I read ARtD twice, then SSSS twice again. I started commenting when I'd caught up to the latest page on my second readthrough of SSSS, and made an account on the forums almost as soon as they were made. My own personal opinion is that if Minna continues going the way she is, she'll become quite a big name in the comic world. To me, she is brilliant and a really cool role model, and her comics brighten my day each time I read through them.

I'm from... all over the place, really. I've lived the longest in Tasmania, Australia, though. I'm a cross-breed myself - Dutch and South African. I speak Dutch, Afrikaans, and of course, English - but, due to living with people who know all three of those languages, they've bled into each other. Yay. I'm trying to get them more purified, but it's a long and irritating process.

Due to time differences, busy schedule, and a really perfectionistic and slightly insecure personality, I don't post too much. I do lurk around, though - resident ninja, haha. Even though I don't comment much, I find this the nicest and one of the most diverse communities I've joined yet!

(I also go through font phases. Currently it's Baskerville Old Face, previously it was Bookman Old Style, and I might be horrible and go for Old English Text MT or Arabic Typesetting next. I avoid Comic Sans, Times New Roman, and Calibri like the plague.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:03:11 AM by Lenny »
Am notified of private messages via email.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 05:07:04 AM »
My turn, I guess. 

I'm... a few years older than Taru.  I live in Silicon Valley, where I work (or more precisely, am looking for work) in marketing communications.  I've been a writer, word person, and fount of useless knowledge as long as I can remember.  I worked as a journalist, researcher, and copy editor before going into marketing, so maybe it was inevitable that I'd be drawn to the role of skald and archivist here.

I have kind of a split personality -- on one hand, I'm a sedate, respectable voter and taxpayer who's fond of cute little cardigans, pearl earrings, and "Mad Men"; on the other, I have a substantial geek side.  For example, when handed a super-powerful Dyson vacuum at a church clean-up day, I couldn't help but brandish it and proclaim, "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!" before settling down to vacuum pet hair and glitter off the pew cushions. 

I'm a late-breaking convert to comics, or rather "sequential art" (as the awesome Scott McCloud terms this art form in Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art). 

I follow a fair number of Web comics, and came to SSSS via ads on the Girl Genius site.  This is the first fandom I've joined -- or Web community of any kind, really.  (I'm really put off by the nastiness that breeds in some online communities/comment threads.  And I'm afraid I used to look down on fandoms as showing unseemly enthusiasm for "trivial" things.... until I found myself neck-deep in one.)

I got into SSSS in late June, when the plot began speeding up.  I had glanced at the Prologue, but it wasn't grabbing me.  So I only made perfunctory checks every few weeks. 

Then suddenly in Chapter 2, something clicked.  Character interaction!  Humor!  Pathos!  Backstory!  Emil's suitcase full of explosives!  Adorable horsies!  Lalli being spooked by the moving sidewalk!  At that point I was hooked, and went back to reread it all from the start (as well as aRTD, which I had drifted away from somewhere in Chapter 4.).   

THEN I discovered the Disqus comments under each page, and my fate was sealed.  As others here have said, SSSS attracts a remarkable community.  When Eich set up this forum, I promptly joined -- and have been posting so much that I sometimes think I should just shush and give everyone else a chance to talk.

I like cooking, opera and ballet, salsa dancing, fonts, and wandering around outside.  I am fussy about spelling and grammar, probably because I majored in Latin in college.  My favorite writers include Jane Austen, Ursula K. LeGuin, Bill Bryson, and Robertson Davies.

I got my forum name from a photo of some flowers I'd grown -- the first thing to catch my eye when I was looking for a suitable icon.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:45:32 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »
Hello hello!

I'm never really good at writing these so I'm going to post stats.

Nationality: Finnish
Languages: Finnish, english, tiniest grasp of swedish, even tinier grasp in german
Favorite book: The Belgariad series by David Eddings
Favorite movie: Long time favorites include The Road to Eldorado, Back to the Future series, Beauty and the Beast
Favorite anime&manga: One Piece, Mushishi, Mononoke, Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys
Favorite anima: cat
Favorite comics: Homestuck, SSSS, Gunnerkrigg Court, Archipelago
Favorite thing to do: Write stories, roleplaying

Sharion

• Scout
  • Proud lunatic and Meanister of Word-Spinning
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
Hail fellows, well met!
Hungarian bookworm here, brutally butchering English language for far too long (and still not getting better in it).
My first act in life was to cause some disturbance in the force by being born on the day we call "Day of the Dead". Someone above must have known that I'd grow up to love black humour. (I'm not much younger than Sigrun, by the way, and female.)
I'm a whimsical type, so one can catch me reading Baudelaire one day, webcomics the next and the Malazan Chronicles from Steven Erikson on the third. (Well, this "jumping around" comes handy when I try to sell books, which is my job.) That's why, when I first found SSSS, I left it after a few pages. (Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!)
The second time I saw it, I was in a really bad mood, and the bleeding landscapes were love at first second sight. To my greatest surprise, I hadn't even been through the first chapter, when I noticed that I actually don't want to see anyone getting ripped to pieces by something hideous with lots of clawed appendages anymore. I got stuck like a fly in the honey jar, and I don't mind it in the least. :3
Truth to be told: I was thinking about joining in the discussions for a longer while. After reading the comments for some time, I decided that I definitely like the mentality of the people here - so here I am, posting not just under a comic, but even on a fan forum, which I've never done before. Doh. It must be that I'm going soft in my old age...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:28:29 AM by Sharion »
Survived so far:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8: :chap9:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
Hello everyone! I am Solovei, and currently one of the co-admins of the SSSS Wiki (along with Nimphy). 1.6 Tuomis, lives in Canada but born and spent the first bit of my life in Russia.

I'm technically a librarian except for the fact that I don't have a job right now, but hopefully that will soon change. That is, I have the degree you need to be a librarian but nobody's employed me yet. Um, I like webcomics a lot (too much) and also religiously listen to Welcome to Night Vale. I usually use a lot of emoticons when I type, so this is definitely a rarity. Ummm lets see what else... I'm trying to get better at drawing and cooking!

(Also, I'm really happy this forum exists because the comment threads on the comic kind of scare me... so many people...)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:47:59 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
Hello everyone! I am Solovei, and currently one of the co-admins of the SSSS Wiki (along with Nimphy and I think Fimbulvarg?). 1.6 Tuomis, lives in Canada but born and spent the first bit of my life in Russia.

I'm technically a librarian except for the fact that I don't have a job right now, but hopefully that will soon change. That is, I have the degree you need to be a librarian but nobody's employed me yet. Um, I like webcomics a lot (too much) and also religiously listen to Welcome to Night Vale. I usually use a lot of emoticons when I type, so this is definitely a rarity. Ummm lets see what else... I'm trying to get better at drawing and cooking!

(Also, I'm really happy this forum exists because the comment threads on the comic kind of scare me... so many people...)

(Pssst! It's just you and me as far as I know admining the wiki)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Raya

Re: Presentation board
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm impressed how international the forumites are. We need to do a map of what countries we all represent :D

As for myself? I'm Raya, a few years shy of Sigrun and as English as buttered scones. I'm a palaeontologist, but since getting a museum job is ridiculously difficult I'm currently stuck in an office. As you may have noticed I'm a big fan of roleplaying, but I also enjoy wargaming, cosplaying and writing.

watches anime in Japanese because she can't stand dubs of any sort,

Some dubs are pretty good, check out the English dubs of Hellsing and Martian Successor Nadesico.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
(Pssst! It's just you and me as far as I know admining the wiki)

Oh, really? Sorry! I'll go change it :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Hi, I'm Sparky Dragon. I am...uh, one Tuomi, or .75 of the average of Lalli and Tuuri. I'm an American, and recently moved from Alaska to the far south. It's hot here. Uh... I speak English, obviously, and I'm working on Finnish and Hungarian currently. I love reading, and I love musicals. That's all. 0__0

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Sharion

• Scout
  • Proud lunatic and Meanister of Word-Spinning
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
I'm impressed how international the forumites are. We need to do a map of what countries we all represent :D

That's a great idea. You have my vote. :D
Survived so far:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8: :chap9:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
As for myself? I'm Raya, a few years shy of Sigrun and as English as buttered scones. I'm a palaeontologist, but since getting a museum job is ridiculously difficult I'm currently stuck in an office.

You're a palaeontologist?!???!!! That was my childhood dream job!! (I was a huge nerd-child about fossils and petrified wood and stuff [and dinosaurs asdfghjkl!] haha I was a weird child :P) 8'D That sounds so awesome! Even if you're stuck at a desk :(

What would you normally be doing if you weren't in the desk job?? OuO
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Yannick

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:35 PM »
Hello evryone,
my first name is Yannick, I am french, and live in the south of France.
This might explain some errors in my english ;)

I have Sigrun age, but Lalli and Tuuri are my favorites characters as we share some personality traits.  ;D
And thank to my near birthday, I bought the 2 books of Minna.  :)
I will try to post many things on this forum soon.
But as I sometimes have a short attention span and many books and mangas to read, there might be periods of silence!  :-X

I found SSSS one month ago thank to an add in "Girl Genius Online", which I found thank to this wonderful page of a wonderful site:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HugoAward

If there are others francophone readers on this forum, I'd like to discuss in french too!
S'il y a d'autres lecteurs francophones sur ce forum, j'adorerais discuter en français aussi !
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »
i guess that i have been around for a little while, so my introduction is probably a bit overdue!

so hi everyone, i'm ruth and i'm tuuri years old. i'm a cuban-norwegian girl born in the united states and currently in mostly-permanent exile in canada, first for love and second for the cheap education. i'm a student in cognitive scientist, but i love languages and learning as many as i possibly can is my pastime and passion. spanish and english are my muttersprachen, and i'm conversant, if not fluent, in german, french, and as of veeeery recently swedish (thanks wallander!). other languages i'm constantly tooling around with are catalan, norwegian, yiddish, japanese, mandarin, icelandic, and probably one or two others at any given moment.

here are some facts about me: possibly addicted to cheese ravioli. definitely addicted to cuban coffee. aspiring world traveller, incorrigible europhile. despite being cuban and norwegian, never visited cuba or norway. sucker for cop shows. partnered to an editor. involuntarily re-educated to canadian culture.
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:38:27 AM »
Hello everyone,
my first name is Yannick, I am french, and live in the south of France.
[...]
If there are others francophone readers on this forum, I'd like to discuss in french too!
S'il y a d'autres lecteurs francophones sur ce forum, j'adorerais discuter en français aussi !

I suggest you connect with FrogEater, who is French, as shown by his self-deprecating forum name.  You've probably also seen him on the Disqus page.  He is both erudite and charming, as shown by the exchange about Baudelaire starting here.  Maybe those are common French traits?   ;)

Bienvenu au forum!
- Mlle. Tournesol
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: