Author Topic: Into Silence - Chapters 3 & 4  (Read 6005 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Into Silence - Chapters 3 & 4
« on: July 05, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »
Are we ready to re-see some action? I know I am!

I think I was hooked already by the cover of Chapter 3, but after seeing that train, I would pause my reading for no reason. I actually love a panel of the train later in Chapter 3 even more than the cover, but in either one, the Dalahästen is the epitome of SSSS world building. 10/10, would never ride.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Into Silence - Chapters 3 & 4
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
From the comments, page 151, Bill Haverberg gets a called-it award, almost (they didn't think of alternate communication forms):

Draksaw Richard Weir • 8 years ago

Also, tough i want everybody to stay alive, lets start the favorite discussion of webcomics: Death Roulette.
So which named character will die first?

Bill Haverberg Draksaw • 8 years ago

Law of drama says something will happen to Turri as that would leave Lalli and Emil unable to communicate in a crisis situation. That would also force character development for all three.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:20 PM »
Guys? Anyone?

Ok, I’ll go. On my first read, I didn’t notice Lalli noticing the clawmarks on the train. Later I was wondering whether the attack scene was a vision Lalli got from touching the marks, or a depiction of Taru’s story. But this time I understand the maks Lalli is looking at cannot be from that accident - the original train has windows (oh the complacency of the Swedes!) and the entire carriage has a different shape. If the original carriage was modified into the new windowless Trainsaw Massacre, the marks would have been gone too. Interesting discussion about the nature of trolls, and there still are some readers wondering if there actually are real trolls at all. And, someone suggesting the saws on top of the train are needed because of spider-deer jumping from trees. I hope that person was still reading when we met the Spidermoose :)

Also, despite having looked at the panel with the attack many times, I only now noticed how the people on the right are getting their heads sliced right through. They were probably the lucky ones, though.

This was also the first  time I paid proper attention to all of Emil and Lalli’s interaction in the station hall.  Emil is so precious. I don’t understand why many commenters seem to dislike him so much <3

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 04:33:56 PM »
Thanks thorny for saving me from double posting on myself (this doesn’t count as I’m now replying to you :) ) In addition to that one there are several painful comments about how everyone wishes Tuuri will not face too harsh consequences for her curiosity… it will never not be too soon.

dmeck7755

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:13:53 PM »
When I look at the Chapter 3 flash page, I see the blood on the train, but not any claw marks...

On page 145, when the troll breaks in the two people in the front left are just sitting there.  I noticed that when there are drawing of a lot of people there are always one or two that look like they "have a stick up their butt"

And those are some deep claw marks on the following panel.  (I never noticed them either)

On page 146, I wonder why the conductor is giving Emil "the look".  He has not done anything yet....

Page 148-149 Lalli's Moon magic is great.  The drawing is pretty cool also when the moon pops out.

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 07:05:54 PM »
The woman at the front, I just realized, has just spilled her drink all over; but the man at the front looks only annoyed, as if people were making a commotion for no reason. Maybe he's supposed to just not have noticed yet? but it looks as if his arm is half missing or at least half under the giant, which makes that seem pretty unlikely.

And Emil was giving the conductor rather a look in the panel before -- I've no idea why; and then looks away trying to appear so very very innocent in the panel where she looks at him. Maybe that's why?

… it will never not be too soon.

I wondered a bit about drawing attention to that; but it was pretty much Minna's exact stated motivation. And we do need to be able to talk about it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:08:25 PM by thorny »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 07:37:22 PM »
I don't interpret Emil's glance at Agneta (which is her name, as we find out) as anything other than 'bah, official stuff, let's get through this', but then I guess he can see she was holding a picture of him (pretty fancy train passes, eh?), which showed him with sparkles, and he manifests the sparkles to match.

Minna's comment on whether the touching of the damage caused a vision or whether it's just an illustration of Taru's recounting of the incidents, "I'll leave that up for everyone to interpret as they prefer, both are viable alternatives story-wise. :3"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:28:54 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Ah yes. The marks. Not so odd that Lalli is scared to go in one? At least before a prayer. While still seeing the Moon. How else would he know if his plea is answered with a blessing if not by bathing in Moonlight under that window? And the bed belt hassle. Emil making the mistake of not using it even after Lalli does - and tries to use point-it-sign- language to tell him to do the same? And about leaving the compartment. Maybe you should listen to the scout more... well, at least the train guards pay attention when Lalli points them to the trouble. Emil's totally wearing his bed belt later. Did he think that keeps giants from attacking or something? Then we get Emil's stupid Danish-joke and Mikkel playing his infamous face-cancer prank on Emil.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
I will comment on each page, and then maybe add some generalities.

142: I kind of skipped past this image on my first reading, but even if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been as shocked as most new readers, as I had been (somewhat) spoilered by TV Tropes, and was expecting giant monsters of some kind. I still like the comment (by Zadown): Whenever you are having RL problems, just think of that train running over them, chainsaws chewing air and aforementioned problems at full speed.

143: We find out why Our Heroes are taking the train and not a boat: the train is free! Also, the Swedes at least seem a bit optimistic. I suppose they haven't taken it before. (I can't remember -- does the Committee take the train back?)

144: OMG, Emil trying to impress Lalli by showing him the train (as started in 143) and then Lalli taking too-good a look... And Emil somehow completely failing to understand the meaning of the scratches, even though he goes back to look at them. Emil. Do you think they're a manufacturing defect? (At least Tuuri knows, because of the anti-Swedish gossip shared by Taru.)

145: So, it could be a vision. Minna says so, in spite of Jitter's earlier comments! I guess it doesn't have to be tied to those specific scratches? Except we don't really see Lalli get these sorts of visions otherwise? (I mean, we don't get to see much of what he sees, except through his actions and briefly through Emil's eyes, but doesn't this seem like a pretty useful power that would have come in handy in some more obvious way?)

146: I don't see anything weird about the look Emil gives--I think he's trying to match his photo, as people say--but I suspect that the look he gets back is due to some not on his ticket mentioning the stolen Cleanser supplies. Or some other shenanigans. This is a military train, there's probably a rundown of his military record on there.
And hmm, so, people have fallen off the ramp before? Sigh.
Regarding the comments, I am shocked that Noah O says it's impossible to understand Lalli. To me it's pretty clear that he's been reacting with alarm and confusion to seeing many things for the first time, and is now reacting with alarm and... lack of confusion... to seeing something he is familiar with.

147: Oh Tuuri! I get where you're coming from--you're stressed out from the story, Lalli's issue seems random to you, and it's not like he's going to tell you it is not--but maybe you could try? Your threats are awful. And this 'just carry him around' thing is, as noted, a bit creepy. (Part of the blame goes to Lalli, too. I know he has his unique issues, but surely describing *danger* to people is one thing he has been taught to do? Repeatedly?)

148: Love how the guard doesn't even notice the beautiful performance going on before him. I guess it's all Finnish to him. And I am definitely in agreement with whoever said that Lalli is likely concerned with whether the gods CAN hear him, so far away: he puts in verses about the distance, and I think his uncertain, single-eye-opening face is not something he does after every spell. So his little hop onto the train is not just 'Yay! Moon!' but also 'Yay! Kuutar hears me still!'

...more some other time...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:32:28 PM by tehta »
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 04:02:12 PM »

(Part of the blame goes to Lalli, too. I know he has his unique issues, but surely describing *danger* to people is one thing he has been taught to do? Repeatedly?)

Kyllä

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 04:17:16 PM »
Exactly! He even got extra classes on 'using his words' after that one. If anything, 'mrh' is a step down from 'kyllä'.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
Exactly! He even got extra classes on 'using his words' after that one. If anything, 'mrh' is a step down from 'kyllä'.

Yes well, I suppose it's more that he knows Tuuri isn't going to listen no matter what he says. If she doesn't listen to her older brother, why would she listen to her younger cousin? Bodily resistance at least gets her attention long enough to let Lalli remain long enough for his prayer.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 05:41:43 AM »
(I can't remember -- does the Committee take the train back?)
They are shown getting into the train to leave Öresundsbro Base, but whether they went directly / train-all-the-way to Mora remains unclear.

(At least Tuuri knows, because of the anti-Swedish gossip shared by Taru.)
Not to mention that Lalli is within earshot at least for part of it, too. Frankly, back when I read it, I took the flashback as being a visual aid to Tarus tale, not an actual vision of Lalli ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 06:34:38 PM »
Pages 153-154. Some great / unfortunate Emil moments, and absolutely fabulous Lalli! Great gofy moments before the action starts.

Interestingl, the comments have loads of shipping on p 154 already <3

dmeck7755

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 08:19:20 AM »
Emil is one of the characters that has the most personal growth through the story to me.  You see he starts out as a self-absorbed young man.  You see hints that there is more to him.  I like how he changes through the adventures. 

I like how the conductor turns off the noisy radio broadcasting the new Troll disco station on page 157.  Pge 158 is the first time you really get a look at the nasties...(Though you get a feel for them on page 138 when they are explaining the expedition).

(Another though I had from the earlier pages in panel 138.  If books are so valuable, there is a fortune in that room.  )
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa