Author Topic: Preparations - Prologue Y0 and chapters 1&2  (Read 10965 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Preparations - Prologue Y0 and chapters 1&2
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 02:39:55 PM »
Not intending to interrupt your tale spinning but the fic ideas repository is here for any future needs: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=978.0
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 03:11:44 PM »
Sorry, I should not have derailed this.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 06:12:06 PM »
Oh no, all of is relevant! But you seemed interested in such a thread so I pointed it to you.

But as far as I’m concerned, do keep up speculating about the motivations of the Schemers. It’s unclear in canon anyway.

I have also written fluffy Yule stories where Emil and Lalli are in Mora with the Västerströms, and in my ”main arc” Toivosaari Siv at least send nice packages to Emil so I’m not 100% in They Are Evil camp, but the more I consider their actions the more I disapprove. I have to say I can easily see Trond as a crimelord :)

Oh and I think we have at least one fic on it already, featuring Vile Västerströms who absolutely everyone is terrified of. It’s very dark, which is why I didn’t finish it at the time but it might suit my current mood better! I think it’s one of Looney_DAC’s

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 07:19:01 PM »
Oh and I think we have at least one fic on it already, featuring Vile Västerströms who absolutely everyone is terrified of. It’s very dark, which is why I didn’t finish it at the time but it might suit my current mood better! I think it’s one of Looney_DAC’s
Yes, but it isn't finished.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
Soo, nothing to say about first glimpses at the Hotakainens? I have been dreadfully busy but got round to Keuruu finally.

Lalli’s arrival to his “home” or barracks room is heartbreaking. The only personal detail is that his blankets are under the bed. Maybe, just maybe, there are cosy sommon rooms somewhere, and he meets with family and friends there? But maybe not. It is sad.

On the other hand, at the docks Onni holds both Lalli and Tuuri in his arms. Trying to stop them from going, sure, but it is a lo of human touch and Lalli doesn’t seem to mind at all (or not any more than he minds all of the confusion).

And here’s Taru again, denouncing their being close relatives. So I’m pretty sure she has not lived in Keuruu at least for a few years now. Tuuri is telling Lalli about her being their cousin as news. I mean Lalli could have not known her even if she did live there, but Tuuri would have known her and their kinship at least on some level. Based on the interaction it may be that she and Onni are more familiar with each other, s perhaps she has lived there ealer b moved away before Tuuri and Lalli became adults. Or “adults”, I sort of agree with Onni that thy don’t seem to be capable of making rational decisions…

BTW I went to Keuruu last winter. I’ve been meaning to make a scouting report, is anyone interested?

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2022, 10:59:26 AM »
Auau! I have been looking forward to this 'real start', but somehow I got confused and thought we were still on the info pages! And that I would have all of next week to post all sorts of random commentary.

Anyway, yes, finally! It must have been so exciting for in-real-time readers to reach this point, and meet these characters for the first time.

I don't hate Lalli's room. It seems cozy, with everything a person needs, and it's all his own. I would imagine that young soldiers often have to share? Well, Lalli may be young, but he's been in the military for years. Although... his 'job' doesn't sound strictly military, if it's something that allows for casual firing/quitting. Also: is Lalli's place even in the barracks, or civilian quarters? the fact  that it's behind a wall suggests the civilian quarters on the map, doesn't it? 

It's amusing to me to remember that Lalli's default expression used to be confusion. By Adventure Two it seems to be annoyance.

Onni's default expression is more consistent but, wow, his facial structure looks very different to me than Adventure Two Onni.  Tuuri is just adorable, in her excitement!

And I like how Onni says he would never call Tuuri an idiot, then proceeds to do so right afterwards.

The interaction with Taru is weird indeed. I agree that she doesn't seem to run in the same Keuruu circles as our heroes. As for how she seems to know the older ones, well, is it possible that she only really met Onni when she offered him that job? (She's also right that Tuuri and Lalli are good at their jobs, so she lucked out there!)

Oh, and I don't think Lalli tends to freak out when touched in general? Later, Tuuri will tell a train employee that he won't resist just being put on the train. (Which is worrying, actually.) I think it's possible that he avoided Onni's later hug to avoid the emotional side of it.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2022, 11:15:57 AM »
Lalli doesn’t seem to like the shoulder punches (although that’s possibly partially because Sigrun punches hard) in general, and there are other moments where he evades or at least appears displeased at touch. Although in the train he doesn’t seem to mind being held by Emil. So perhaps it comes and goes with him? He also speaks here, for example on p 78 he comforts Tuuri about her disappointment.

And final panel on p 76… Tuuri oh Tuurii. Never not too soon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:23:37 PM by Jitter »

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »
Shoulder-punches are clearly terrible: painful and confusing. I would hate them too! (But then I don't much like hugs, either. Although, again, I think it's less because they feel bad physically and more because they are socially confusing--how long do we do this thing?--and because one can kind of pick up the other person's mood, which can be overwhelming. So maybe I am projecting my preferences on Lalli.)

Anyway, yeah, you are right, he does seem to mind being manhandled, like when Mikkel lifts him. So maybe Tuuri is not being strictly truthful with that train guy?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2022, 12:22:15 PM »
I don't hate Lalli's room. It seems cozy, with everything a person needs, and it's all his own. I would imagine that young soldiers often have to share? Well, Lalli may be young, but he's been in the military for years. Although... his 'job' doesn't sound strictly military, if it's something that allows for casual firing/quitting. Also: is Lalli's place even in the barracks, or civilian quarters? the fact  that it's behind a wall suggests the civilian quarters on the map, doesn't it? 
Lalli may not be the best roommate and the higher-ups decided it is best to leave him alone.  Also he is a night scout.  Working different hours from most of the other staff.

Onni's default expression is more consistent but, wow, his facial structure looks very different to me than Adventure Two Onni.  Tuuri is just adorable, in her excitement!
Most of the characters changed a bit as the adventures wore on.  I like ADVII Onni better than early ADVI

The interaction with Taru is weird indeed. I agree that she doesn't seem to run in the same Keuruu circles as our heroes. As for how she seems to know the older ones, well, is it possible that she only really met Onni when she offered him that job? (She's also right that Tuuri and Lalli are good at their jobs, so she lucked out there!)
officers vrs enlisted?  In many militaries interacting is forbidden or looked down on.

She definitely did luck out with Lalli and Tuuri. 
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2022, 01:22:57 PM »
Actually, now that you mention it, Lalli being a nightscout would be the perfect reason for him to have a roommate: a dayscout! Hotbunking is common in some military situations.
(I mean, it's clear that this is not happening here, because of the bed-under-the-bed, but it amuses me as an idea.)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2022, 02:57:15 PM »
We were talking about the governments earlier (probably in the info pages thread) and how te military could exist without a government. In one of the comments in this section Minna says that Keuruu is strictly military only and there are no children allowed. If someone living there wants to have children, they have to move to Saimaa. So, Keuruu is not a warlord-led city state but a par of something that is the state or at least county of Finland.

This again makes me raise the question I have wondered before - why is the army stationed s far from main population? Or do they train here but deploy smaller troops to the populated areas? What is he point?

dmeck7755

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2022, 03:05:02 PM »
Actually, now that you mention it, Lalli being a nightscout would be the perfect reason for him to have a roommate: a dayscout! Hotbunking is common in some military situations.
(I mean, it's clear that this is not happening here, because of the bed-under-the-bed, but it amuses me as an idea.)

I did not think about hot-bunking.  That can be the case especially if Keuruu is small.  (I believe it happens
in submarine situations, where space is at a premium.)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2022, 06:46:31 PM »
Although... his 'job' doesn't sound strictly military, if it's something that allows for casual firing/quitting. Also: is Lalli's place even in the barracks, or civilian quarters? the fact  that it's behind a wall suggests the civilian quarters on the map, doesn't it? 
The only two places on the map of Keuruu where you can possibly cross a stream (by drawbridge) to get to a wall and have buildings right behind it are by the quarantine facility in the South (entering Keuruu proper), or in the Northwest (getting on the small-ish island there). In both cases, the buildings behind the wall are marked in red, so, barracks. (Though if this is in the South, Lalli wouldn't have to walk far to get through the inner wall and into the civilian quarters, so that could, in theory, have happened between panels.)

Either way, the population statistics next to the map summarily place "Scouts" under the header of "Military".

And here’s Taru again, denouncing their being close relatives. So I’m pretty sure she has not lived in Keuruu at least for a few years now.
There may be a Hollola buried in Toivosaari, but none made an appearance in Lallis flashback, even though supposedly more or less the whole town was present for the baker's sale ...

BTW I went to Keuruu last winter. I’ve been meaning to make a scouting report, is anyone interested?
No.

Spoiler: show

And if you believe that, I wouldn't trust you to not have fallen for some farm guy having scribbled a cardboard sign saying "KEURUU INSIDE" and attached it to his barn! 8)

Page 70 has a short discussion on whether cats are edible. No Róisín back then to clarify, it seems. :P

why is the army stationed s far from main population?
To better protect the civilians? :-X
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »
Isn’t there some kind of military base near our-world Keuruu? Might have grown from that in the Minnaverse? And Jitter, I would be curious to see that scouting report.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2022, 04:10:53 AM »
Isn’t there some kind of military base near our-world Keuruu?
If I remember correctly, even back when it first appeared in SSSS, the military base at Keuruu had already been much reduced and the unused facilities repurposed. There were ... an engineering corps and a training facility still left, I think, but no outright base.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15