Author Topic: Preparations - Prologue Y0 and chapters 1&2  (Read 10247 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Preparations - Prologue Y0 and chapters 1&2
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
My guess would be that Lalli has a weird sense of humour -a bit rustic.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2022, 05:28:31 AM »
Yeah, that would make sense too.
I think I have posted before that I think the orphanage comment he made to Emil was a joke? Since he had heard the discussion of Emil's dad earlier.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2022, 01:05:50 PM »
On the other hand, Lalli's actions with that squirrel suggest that he has no idea what he is doing as a hunter, which just seems weird to me. I interpret it as him taking someone's suggestion literally. Like, "Sigrun says it'd be great if we could get a squirrel in that stew!" which would sound crazy to him, but, hey, half of what is asked of him makes no sense, so... maybe it's a foreign recipe.

(I know, I know, Minna added it for humour value.... I am overthinking...)

Lalli was tired.  Tired of this mission, tired of this country, tired of these people.  He was especially tired of the Dane's excuse for cooking.

His Vision was working well today, and he could see the small normal animals around him in this young forest. That squirrel there ...

Lalli approached as Grandma Ensi had taught him.  I am not here.  The wind in the branches, a cloud across the Sun.  I am not here.  The squirrel was still grooming himself when Lalli struck.

“I've got a squirrel for supper.”

Tuuri didn't look up from her notes.  “Toss it in the stew pot then.”

He glared at her bowed head for a moment before stalking to the stew pot and tossing the squirrel in without bothering to skin it.  Mikkel fished it out as Lalli stalked away.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2022, 03:25:46 PM »
That works! And, as ways of expressing frustration go, squirrel in pot is better than soup in face...

And then, I really like the idea of expressing fan theories or interpretations as stories rather than commentary. Maybe we should do it more often...
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2022, 08:04:51 AM »
Lalli was tired.  Tired of this mission, tired of this country, tired of these people.  He was especially tired of the Dane's excuse for cooking.

His Vision was working well today, and he could see the small normal animals around him in this young forest. That squirrel there ...

Lalli approached as Grandma Ensi had taught him.  I am not here.  The wind in the branches, a cloud across the Sun.  I am not here.  The squirrel was still grooming himself when Lalli struck.

“I've got a squirrel for supper.”

Tuuri didn't look up from her notes.  “Toss it in the stew pot then.”

He glared at her bowed head for a moment before stalking to the stew pot and tossing the squirrel in without bothering to skin it.  Mikkel fished it out as Lalli stalked away.

LOL  Lalli being so literal, I can see him doing what Tuuri said.  Not bothering to peel/clean it at least
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »
LOL  Lalli being so literal, I can see him doing what Tuuri said.  Not bothering to peel/clean it at least

Yes, that's what I think happened too, Tuuri not telling him to clean/skin it, just presuming Lalli would do it automatically. Pretty sure he does know how to skin an animal. Not that eating squirrel would be common, but there was a time, long ago, that squirrel skins were used as money.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2022, 10:59:48 AM »
Perhaps I should have written, "He glared for a moment at the bowed head of his ungrateful cousin".  He engaged in malicious compliance, doing exactly what she said when he knew very well that she didn't mean that.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2022, 12:26:26 PM »
That's how I read it, lwise. (That's why I mentioned expressing frustration -- I thought he was feeling unappreciated, AS USUAL, after having shown all that initiative and skill.)