Author Topic: SSSS Forum Re-read - planning  (Read 2617 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
SSSS Forum Re-read - planning
« on: March 30, 2022, 07:58:34 AM »
Hello all!

Here we are, at End. It is certainly an important end, but still it’s just AN end, not The.

Ever since learning Adventure 2 will be the last one, we decided we’ll do a Forum re-read from the beginning. I’m sure many of us have reread, perhaps many times (in some cases even too many times) but this is more than that! The idea is to set a schedule so that everyone knows which part in particular is being discussed. And also to include the comments. I for example have not read the comments on most of the pages of Adventure 1 despite knowing full well they are worth attention.

This thread is for planning of the reread. Do we read one page a day? 10 pages a week? One chapter per week? Of course everyone can and many probably will read ahead at their own pace as well. Discussion will be much easier than when reading a work that is new to some or everyone, because we will assume everyone has read through already and there are no spoilers to be avoided. So we CAN discuss how something on page 100 lays the way for something on page 200.

I’m also thinking maybe we could start separate threads for parts of adventures. One for each chapter maybe too much, but bunches of a few chapters for each thread? Or if it turns out the discussion is very active, one thread per chapter is ok too - it’s not like we have an upper limit to the number of threads we can have (I think…). This would make it easier to keep the re-read discussion going on for people who join later or take a break and return. It would also create a platform for future new readers to discuss the comic as they are reading - when catching up there’s a million things I would have wanted to discuss, but with an ongoing comic the established fan base is naturally focusing on the current pages. However in the future this will be different, and it might help new, future readers join the discussions. The reread would create starting content on each chapter, but the threads would be kept open for general discussion about things and events in those chapters.

So, what do you think? How quickly or slowly we want to go? Do you like the idea of chapter-specific threads?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: SSSS Forum Re-read - planning
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »
I like the idea of a reread!

We could do atleast 10 pages a week, and also along with that, the threads could be set up based on the sub arcs, such as the Introduction arc, the Swedish Travels arc, the Copenhagen arc, the Odense arc and so on.

I agree that chapter specific threads may be a bit too much to handle.
Somewhat fluent:🇺🇸
Native language:🇮🇳(telugu)
Somewhat rusty:🇮🇳(hindi)
Trying to learn:🇳🇴

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 11:23:08 AM »
I love the idea of a reread! And I would prefer a slow pace, so I can really stare at each page almost like it's new, and check out the comments. So maybe no more than ten a week? Unless a chapter will end in 12 pages or something.

Also, I like Kiran's idea of chapter-per-story-act.

(Finally, I am hoping that a reread might inspire people to jump into prompt-of-the-week. Although we should be encouraging non-ssss content there, too.)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 01:35:44 PM »
it’s not like we have an upper limit to the number of threads we can have (I think…).
This (new) thread: topic=1300
A recent thread on SMF's own forum: topic=579982

... good luck. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »
I agree with Kiran, pace the re-read by threads.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 02:29:58 AM »
I think that around 10 pages per week sounds good - that way people will easily be able to find time to read it, even if they're busy!

And yeah, I think grouping by story act is a good idea - that way there's some sort of thematic sense of the threads
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 04:36:35 AM »
Great idea about the sub-arcs! I was wondering myself how the chapters could be divided into groups that make some sense. The Prologue would naturally be it’s own chapter at least up to the time jump. But should the scheming and funding part get stacked with the other preparatory (up to arrival to the  base)?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 05:05:16 AM »
But should the scheming and funding part get stacked with the other preparatory (up to arrival to the  base)?
I suppose that the funding and scheming constitute one arc, the A Plan is Hatched arc, as I call it. The travels of the Hotakainen siblings to the base at Mora could be another seperate arc. That's what I feel.

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 05:07:50 AM »
Also, what we could do is that we could have a child board in the SSSS & ARtD board dedicated to the reread, so as to ensure that the rereading threads are not scattered throughout the main board.

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
  • Preferred pronouns: Your Lordship
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 08:12:49 AM »
I love the idea - I fell out of touch with the comments awhile back, only coming back in bursts to read big chunks of story, so I'd like to get back to discussion of the comic.

A page-a-day schedule seems the most intuitive to me - that way if it's day 36 of the reread then everyone knows we're on page 36. Plus of course a break between chapters.

dmeck7755

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 08:28:33 AM »
has it started already??  I think I missed something (hardly a surprise!!)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 10:17:12 AM »
No, we haven’t started yet. But we will, there’s clearly enough interest.

I like the idea of a child board! @Keep Looking is it easy to make one? It would also serve the future discussions.

One thing, when we start I or the staff can’t run the whole show. So, everyone and anyone can and should start discussing the section at hand, and not wait for me or another mod to come around saying ”OK what do you think of Dalsnes epilogue”. I mean I AM here mostly every day, but still :) Reynir likes to Help! Be like Reynir!  :reynir:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »
I like the idea of a child board! @Keep Looking is it easy to make one? It would also serve the future discussions.

Yes, I can fairly easily make one!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 09:39:44 AM »
Any idea on when we should start the reread? I suppose we could start from next week.

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 09:41:09 AM »
Also we may have to come up for names for the arcs so that we can name the threads the same, to avoid any confusion.