Author Topic: Adventure III fanfic?  (Read 4203 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Adventure III fanfic?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2022, 03:37:18 PM »
Personally I don't think there would be an adv 3.  I think they'd split up.  It's one reason I'm okay with where SSSS ended.  It's a nice calm moment and feels like a national end to the crew.
Now no, but I think Minna would have done an adventure III if circumstances did not change.

I imagine Sigrun not being swayed by Sweden and going home. Reynir might realize that his only chance of getting anything resembling training is to go to Norway with Sigrun and working with the mages there.
I would think everyone would have eventually gone to Norway, unless there was a unique adventure in Sweden for Sigrun

Mikkel I could see going either way.  I personally think it would depend on what the details are. I think he'd go with whoever he felt needed him most.   
I ship Mikkel and Sigrun.. I'd think he'd follow her to the ends of the universe

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 05:56:44 PM »
I don't think dead people can become trolls; not if they die before symptoms progress too far. And once they become trolls, while they're harder to kill I think they stay dead if they die.

Angry ghosts, I don't know about. That does seem like a possible outcome. We don't know how many of them there would be, though -- the number of people who a) were able to get onto a ship capable of getting there and b) decided to head to Iceland, ignoring probable warnings especially after the first ship or two were met with gunfire and c) made it as far as the patrolled area might have been fairly small; but maybe I'm wrong and there would have been a lot of them.

And hi, dreki! Nice to see you here.

My thought process on some of them becoming trolls is that 1. not everyone would die immediately 2. there are likely people who were quite far along and hiding their symptoms.

So I doubt many of them - but I definitely imagine a few people washing up on some forgotten beach or clinging to driftwood long enough to turn into trolls. 

And probably at least one would turn into a big bad from the anguish and rage and be an interesting focus for an Icelandic adventure.

And for after the first ships were met with gunfire - so this is actually happening nowadays with refugees and illegal groups. Not being gunned down but people die in transit.  And yet people are still spending their life savings to climb onto a train known to have a high death rate just for the possibility of a better life.

So even if people knew they'd still try.

But I don't think people knew.  Even as early as day 9 the newspapers were basically gone, and I doubt there was news. People who had access to a radio broadcaster would probably interact with each other - but those aren't hugely common and I doubt there was enough organization to recognize what was going on that fast.

It's strongly implied by Lalli having to do a spell to make the radio work and the radio being the same static as the troll speak that the trolls interfere with radio signals - so communication may already have been quite limited even by radio.

A few people might have been able to get a message out that Iceland fired on them, but that message has to be received and the people who received it have to live long enough to tell the tale.

People were dying and disappearing left right and center.  Boats were attacked by sea beasts.  Some of the boats were definitely privately owned and launched without telling anyone. It would take awhile to recognize any kind of pattern and the first assumption to any boat going missing would be sea beasts.

People knew Iceland had isolated itself because it was all over the news before everything went to shit - that's why they were going, they didn't necessarily get updates that Iceland was still doing well but just knew it was the most likely place.

It definitely could have taken years to realize what Iceland was doing to any boat that came near - assuming anyone ever realized.

I honestly don't know how many people are aware of what Iceland did to potential refugees as of year 90. 

I suspect it's not common knowledge because I think there'd be more antipathy towards Icelanders.

Now no, but I think Minna would have done an adventure III if circumstances did not change.
If Minna hadn't chosen to end SSSS she definitely could have ended it in a way that more implied they'd stay together - it's really more that the ending we did get felt like a really natural place to part ways. I do appreciate that she did that.

I would think everyone would have eventually gone to Norway, unless there was a unique adventure in Sweden for Sigrun

Yeah I struggle to think of anything that would keep Sigrun away from Norway. She meant to go on a "vacation" during her off season and it's turned into over a year away from home.  So I doubt she'll be willing to put up with any "quick trips". Going to Sweden would be a begrudging token of appreciation and possible hope they've got another bonus coming after the auction was completed.

(I personally like that as an option. Quick stop in Sweden to get money then continue to Norway.)

She doesn't seem motivated by money or glory, at least not enough to turn down returning to her own people. 

I ship Mikkel and Sigrun.. I'd think he'd follow her to the ends of the universe

I personally think their relationship would be the kind where they can part ways for awhile knowing they'll meet back up.  They both respect each others' capabilities. So I can definitely imagine that if Mikkel had to choose between a group that might get themselves killed without his help vs going with Sigrun - Mikkel choosing the former group and Sigrun knowing it's not a slight.

Sigrun is in the military the real world military has a strong habit of assigning people missions/deployment and you may end up split up and sent to different parts of the world if it's where you're needed.

Military spouses being deployed for a year or more is super common.

They also would have spent the better part of a year together in Finland.

Like even if it was just Lalli, Emil, and Reynir join the cleaners - I can totally see Sigrun pulling Mikkel aside and asking him to go with them to make sure those three get settled and don't get themselves killed or lost, then meet her in Norway once he's confident they're in a secure position.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 12:02:15 AM »
Well... I think Emil will go see his relatives, job or no. Lalli might follow him, and Onni may follow Lalli -- not leaving his cousin alone. Reynir follows Onni. Sigrun and Mikkel follow Reynir just to make sure he's not getting himself killed, what with not being immune or knowing Swedish. But what would there be to do in Sweden? Babysitting Emil's cousins? Maybe they can spend some time learning about how the Swedes do their Cleansing. The info page was nice, but I'd like to see all that in action...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »
Apparently the Swedes have a big thing about Cleansing their rail corridors. And sending trains to crazy places. JStevens did some fanfic of Emil and Lalli doing that.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
Sigrun did say she wanted to go to Norway, but then she also said she wanted to take 1. Mikkel and 2. all the "mute and language-limited" (I think) mages. And since "more people. more better", and she likes Emil anyway, she would be happy if he came along too. She might even suggest it. As to whether the mages would want to come, well, Reynir would obviously jump at the chance for an adventurous job in Norway. Onni wouldn't want to go, but could be manipulated by Mikkel, and would almost certainly follow Lalli if HE went. Emil would be happy to visit his relatives, but he doesn't actually live with them, and doesn't seem all that into Cleanser life, either,
Lalli is the real mystery. Just before Tuuri's death he wanted to go home, but then he seemed happy enough to stay in Iceland until whenever. The wish to go home seemed to be based on some sort of premonition. Based on how I interpret him, I think that, in the absence of premonitions or weirdness from Onni, he would prefer to do whatever feels least disruptive to him, psychologically. Which might be staying in a familiar place, or staying with familiar people. (That said, Onni might try to drag him somewhere safe.)

fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »

So I'm currently working on one sort of - and my idea for it is that Mikkel finds someone with a radio to be able to contact them and find out what's going on.

The message from Sweden is that they've finished the auctions.  They went well enough they want to give everyone a second bonus and WERE going to ask them to do a second mission to retrieve the left behind books and also get more - this time with proper funding.

Obviously they aren't available.

They confirm the map info over the radio.  Emil obviously already has reason to see them so will get it in person, Lalli will follow Emil, Reynir will go as well because he didn't get to know them as well.  Mikkel convinces Sigrun to go, as it's somewhat on the way to Sweden.

The next adventure will be in Norway.  Sigrun can pretty easily convince Reynir to go as it's the only way he'll be able to meet fully trained seidr mages. 

I'm not entirely sure how to convince Emil and Lalli yet.  It's basically if one goes the other follows.   

For Onni - I'm not sure.  He did survive in the silent world, but I don't think he'd be keen to throw himself into the non-Finnish wilderness.  He showed in Adv 1 he can help from afar.  He may go to Norway with them but stay in the safe area, or stay in Finland and communicate through Lalli and Reynir.

Without the Kade, it's safe to communicate with Lalli over the distances.

By the end of the Finland stay, everyone speaks at least a basic level of Finnish - enough to get around and basic levels of communication. Emil's and Mikkel's are the most advanced.

Lalli's swedish has come along quite well, too.  He hasn't been immersed in it so Emil's Finnish has become better, but Lalli can hold a conversation with both Mikkel and Sigrun now.

I have the idea that Reynir comes out with a slightly bastardized combination of Norwegian/Swedish/Danish that's reasonably understandable but leaves people doing a double take - because he tried to learn all three and got them muddled.

Lalli uses this as an excuse to claim he can't understand Reynir when he doesn't want to talk to him.  While I think Lalli has warmed up to Reynir, Reynir's high energy extrovertism still overwhelms Lalli and Lalli can't take much of it.

Reynir's muddling is partly based on my own failed polyglottery because I do get languages mixed up and it would be really awkward. And that was wildly unrelated languages - I got the Spanish 'si' and Japanese 'hai' crossed for weeks.  I was working with a Spanish guy, it was bad.   At least muddling Swedish/Norwegian/Danish is reasonably intelligible.

(My phone doesn't do the icelandic eth :( )

Reynir follows Onni.

So I've recently come to the conclusion that I ship these two but only a bit in the future - I do not personally agree that Reynir was acting on a crush in Adv 1/2.  The seeds of potential might be there, but that's it.

I think they both need some space to grow and mature a bit before it'll work.

I think Reynir would be more focused on either finding a place that his level of knowledge could be useful, or meeting seidr mages he can at least ask about his experiences.

I do imagine Reynir continues to bug Onni in the dream world from time to time.  Without the kade, Onni might even go to him sometimes - claiming to just want to check up on the team to make sure Lalli is safe, of course.

(I know this wasn't necessarily a shipping related comment and I think it's fair to think Reynir would want to stick to the mage he knows best - just my personal opinion on this one)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2022, 08:16:25 PM »
I found it puzzling in Adv II that they kept the crew together intact - even if you kept the core characters, new characters were required, certainly? I could've sworn it was going to be Bjarni.  Mauri & Vaino were introduced but only as side characters.

But anyway, may I recommend what I think is the best Adv. III already written?  Kasvatus by onnenlintu
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
Indeed, that whole series was a delight. It helped that Jack knew a good deal of Finnish language, music and folklore, and seems to have enough real life experience to write convincing human interaction. That is always good in a fanfic author, or indeed in any author.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 01:52:18 AM »
Wave and Róisín - I agree. I go back to onnenlintu's work frequently to enjoy a reread.

Is anything known about John's current status? No desire to be intrusive - I just worry about the folk we haven't heard from in a while, especially because of Covid.

Róisín

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2022, 02:11:40 AM »
Not by me, but I hope things are well with him.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
He's been a lot less active on tumblr lately, although I did see a couple of posts from a sideblog of his recently.  I'll drop him a PM and let him know we're thinking of him fondly.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 08:23:31 AM »

But anyway, may I recommend what I think is the best Adv. III already written?  Kasvatus by onnenlintu

This is one of my absolute favorites.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 02:37:16 PM »
I found it puzzling in Adv II that they kept the crew together intact - even if you kept the core characters, new characters were required, certainly? I could've sworn it was going to be Bjarni.  Mauri & Vaino were introduced but only as side characters.

I don't think you necessarily need new characters.  I suppose a bit on the side, similar to how there was the Sweden team in Adv 1.  I think the main reason we didn't get something like that is because Minna was losing interest in the project.

Like Scooby Doo has had the same 5 core characters for over 50 years.  It can be frustrating to shake up the core crew too much.

And the way Adv 2 ends, it is entirely possible they split up.  I can see it being very likely that Emil & Lalli go to Sweden, Sigrun & Mikkel go to Norway, and I can see Reynir going to either (but ultimately I think he'd go to Norway to meet other Icelandic mages and try to learn more).

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 06:48:18 AM »
I've started doing an adv 3 fanfic on AO3 and I just remembered this thread exists so I think it's okay to share it here -
https://archiveofourown.org/works/44239663/chapters/111250354

A kind of tl;dr of it is - They go to Norway.  I just really think Sigrun needs to get back to Norway from how she felt at the end of Adv 2.  I did have them make a stop in Sweden with an offer for another mission over the winter - which seems to be when Norwegian troll hunters kind of have time off.

However I dragged Reynir to Iceland to have him get properly trained by an experienced mage in a location where he's not likely to get himself killed. Nowhere near his family though, sorry Reynir-mamma. I also just really wanted Onni to have a few months of living in genuine safety. 

It focuses quite a bit on Icelandic magic, but also in the collaboration between Icelandic and Finnish mages. 

(Also it's an Adv 2 rewrite, but it's a good Adv 2 rewrite and Sleeping Giants has just ended for anyone who has not seen it)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 02:38:16 PM »
Thanks for the reminder - I have sooo much fic to catch up on, oyyy (this is a very good thing!)