Author Topic: I would have wiSSSShed... what is missing from SSSS?  (Read 15977 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: I would have wiSSSShed... what is missing from SSSS?
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
Well, that is one of the points that bothered me.  Building a press would be far more efficient (and more accurate) than paying a bunch of people to retype books, like a bunch of medieval monks hand-writing illuminated manuscripts.  I have to figure what was happening with Torbjörn is that he was transcribing a delicate book so that those ruffians at the printers would have papers that they could handle with their clumsy, inky hands instead of the precious original manuscript.
FWIW, with the number of copies that the Known World likely needs made of most original books, typesetting may well prove uneconomic due to its fixed costs. Back when I was in school, before photocopiers became affordable, the teachers distributed sheets they made with a spirit duplicator - and yes, as long as we're talking walls of text, the master sheets were made with a typewriter. (Of course, the math, geography, etc. teachers would add small hand-drawn illustrations as well.)

(And then, when the school bought its first photocopier, the fuser occasionally failed. Then we'd get exercise sheets where the toner was barely held on by electrostatic attraction, and when you handled it roughly, blew or sneezed on it or somesuch, you'd have a blank sheet of paper instead of instructions for your class- or homework. Fun times. ::) )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »
They do have newspapers, so some way of printing is in use
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »
FWIW, with the number of copies that the Known World likely needs made of most original books, typesetting may well prove uneconomic due to its fixed costs. Back when I was in school, before photocopiers became affordable, the teachers distributed sheets they made with a spirit duplicator - and yes, as long as we're talking walls of text, the master sheets were made with a typewriter. (Of course, the math, geography, etc. teachers would add small hand-drawn illustrations as well.)

(And then, when the school bought its first photocopier, the fuser occasionally failed. Then we'd get exercise sheets where the toner was barely held on by electrostatic attraction, and when you handled it roughly, blew or sneezed on it or somesuch, you'd have a blank sheet of paper instead of instructions for your class- or homework. Fun times. ::) )

Depending on the book, of course, you might not need many copies, as you said.  On the other hand, it might be worthwhile to mass-produce schoolbooks and scientific texts.

One of my first jobs was as a gofer, and among other things, I was trained to fix the copier.  I had a certificate showing I was qualified and everything!

I had never heard of the "spirit duplicator" before.  That's really interesting.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2022, 03:01:29 AM »
Depending on the book, of course, you might not need many copies, as you said.  On the other hand, it might be worthwhile to mass-produce schoolbooks and scientific texts.
Agree on schoolbooks, not so sure about "scientific texts". Even in our time, print runs of outright scientific publications are so small as to make some of the journals prohibitively expensive even to university libraries (which leads to "publications" that, ironically, aren't really "public", and scientists working with stacks of photocopies from whenever they got the chance of making some, to the detriment of lists of references in later publications based on them; and, further down the chain of causality, online "preprint" services to cut out the middleman with the printing press ...)

They do have newspapers, so some way of printing is in use
In our history, the first forms of the printing press were woodblock printing and movable type, both fraught with high fixed cost of producing (and, to an extent, storing) the master. (Sidenote: I'm rather surprised to see that hot metal typesetting was that late.) I'd guess that the Known World, having the info about ancient technology at hand, would rather start doing the larger priint runs with offset technology; apart from the phototypesetting and computer typesetting variants of producing the plate, which can be replaced by somewhat time-consuming manual work IMHO, it's still not rocket technology.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2022, 09:05:35 AM »
Agree on schoolbooks, not so sure about "scientific texts".

I meant basic scientific texts, the sort of thing that freshmen in college would study in Y0.  Since they destroyed the books in the immediate aftermath of the Rash, they would need to print those anew.  "Schoolbooks", to me, means books you would use to teach children, so wouldn't include college textbooks.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2022, 02:49:12 PM »
Back when I was in school, before photocopiers became affordable, the teachers distributed sheets they made with a spirit duplicator

I remember these when I was in elementary school!!!  Goodness!  I remember all of us students smelling the paper when the tests were handed out.

Years after, I did a stint as a teacher’s aid.  One of the things I got to do was make the tests with the machine.  The stuff gave me such a headache.  It was way better smelling the paper, than the machine.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

SSSSFiend

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2022, 01:56:53 PM »
The only thing I'm missing is Sigrun's and Mikkel's wedding. And I haven't entirely lost hope yet.

SSSSFiend

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »
New page is up, and I lost the hope. Ah well. It's in my head.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2022, 04:39:36 PM »
Hello SSSSFiend and welcome to the dark this side!

I’m sure they’ll want to get married in Dalsnes, don’t you think?

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2022, 01:50:18 AM »
Or the Madsen farm on Bornholm?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2022, 02:05:00 AM »
Back to books - we have many books that are 100+ years old in libraries today, but they are generally printed on rag-content paper, whereas "C+ for Dummies" and countless of its ilk were printed on fairly low-grade and acidic wood-pulp paper.  Hence the detail of books which had crumbled to dust and silverfish remains rang true.  (An intact notebook left out on a desk, though, with actual printed photographs tucked into it instead of photos digitised into a patient database? Pull the other one, mate.)

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
Maybe they were already getting power interruptions and internet outages, and started the notebook/hardcopy photos for that reason?

Seems likely to me that there was already considerable chaos by the time of those serum experiments.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2022, 10:39:54 AM »
Yeah, I am not surprised that they were keeping non-digital copies of important documents around. And plenty of people do use notebooks still, even if they own tablets and suchlike.

The 'very well-preserved in spite of lying exposed on a desk' thing though, yes, that seems odd.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
  • Preferred pronouns: Your Lordship
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2022, 07:56:07 PM »
I do wish that the fire that was seen in one of Emil's dreams would be explained. Was a village being burnt down? Was the forest on fire? Was it in Östersund, from where I believe Emil came from? This is the only thing I feel is somewhat missing.

My personal theory is that that's the factory (I seem to remember someone calling it that) Emil's parents owned, and so when it burned down they hit rock bottom. Thus Emil dropped out of school, joined the cleansers, etc etc.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
     My personal theory is that that's the factory (I seem to remember someone calling it that) Emil's parents owned, and so when it burned down they hit rock bottom. Thus Emil dropped out of school, joined the cleansers, etc etc.

I think the order is slightly different.  It burned, they hit rock bottom, Emil couldn't have his useless tutors anymore and therefore went to school for two years, then he joined the Cleansers for two years before joining the expedition.  So he didn't drop out of school because they hit rock bottom; instead, he went to school because they hit rock bottom.