Author Topic: I would have wiSSSShed... what is missing from SSSS?  (Read 15978 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: I would have wiSSSShed... what is missing from SSSS?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2021, 05:17:20 AM »
I too would have liked to see what happened with the nature spirits in Koli. At least a lot of the material about Ásatrú and the old Finnish beliefs is still extant in our world, even if we may never see the Minnaverse interpretations. A pity.

I would have liked to see more of all of their personal backstories and family histories, and I have always been curious about what exactly Lalli had gone off to do in Site 24 before he so abruptly defenestrated and was caught by Mikkel. Questions to which we may never know the answers!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2021, 07:09:26 AM »
I have always been curious about what exactly Lalli had gone off to do in Site 24 before he so abruptly defenestrated and was caught by Mikkel. Questions to which we may never know the answers!
At the risk of prompting great pain, I'd say that the chances of getting that answered have long gone out the window.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »
At the risk of prompting great pain, I'd say that the chances of getting that answered have long gone out the window.

...which in turn leads me to wonder about the practice of playing music in the Known World, and whether this practice as old as humanity itself was threatened by the impetus to stay quiet.  I mean, no flutes? no trumpets?
No drumkits upon which to go 'ba-dum-tssssh'
?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2021, 05:48:58 AM »
...which in turn leads me to wonder about the practice of playing music in the Known World, and whether this practice as old as humanity itself was threatened by the impetus to stay quiet.  I mean, no flutes? no trumpets?
?
We know they have kantele at least. They can very well sing of their history as they know it. Another instruments like a willow flute -- I suppose people can make those. Otherwise, I don't think anyone has much time making instruments, they're too busy farming and other things they need to survive.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2021, 06:50:44 AM »
?

If you have protected settlements, you could do loud things there. Like music or parenting (kids are very loud).

JoB

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
If you have protected settlements, you could do loud things there. Like music or parenting (kids are very loud).
... soundproofed underground day care centers ... ? >:D
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
Another instruments like a willow flute -- I suppose people can make those. Otherwise, I don't think anyone has much time making instruments, they're too busy farming and other things they need to survive.

I imagine there are a lot of instruments left over from Y0.  There are three hundred year old violins that are still in use; no reason people in Y90 couldn't use old violins and other stringed instruments.  I think flutes and trumpets and the like would keep just fine if they were in a cool, dry, dark place.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
If some sami survived (and they do live in a very cold region it puzzles me very much we did not see some) maybe they would still know how to make a fadno https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fadno.

catbirds

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
HM

My personal feeling about this topic is that it'd feel almost unnatural for people to not sing or dance. Maybe a new form of music or instrument would show up or they'd start having traditions where they play instruments during exceptionally loud storms.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2021, 04:12:16 PM »
Oh yes, the Sami are definitely missing. My headcanon is that their survivors are making sure the Finns and Scandinavians don’t know about them. Based on history, a reasonable plan.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2021, 10:57:06 PM »
Music is such a basic human instinct I think people would keep it against any odds, or reinvent it.  Edit: also many styles of magic need music to work.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2021, 11:38:27 PM »
My guess is they'd play music in protected places, and also in bright sunshine -- I was going to say also in deep cold, but most instruments (as well as fingers) don't like that much, do they? They might well have gotten inventive about that over 90 years, though.

-- Jitter, I like that headcanon about the Sami! So well hidden that even Minna thinks they're not there. Maybe their numbers are coming up and they're thinking about coming out of hiding by around year 100, though?

catbirds

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2021, 12:22:32 AM »
So well hidden that even Minna thinks they're not there.

Oh yes, the Sami are definitely missing. My headcanon is that their survivors are making sure the Finns and Scandinavians don’t know about them. Based on history, a reasonable plan.

Ahha! That's smart. Either way, there's no way they're gone or that the other explanation Minna gave is true.

Edit: also many styles of magic need music to work.

Yeah, ages ago, Lalli did sing spells. Wasn't that cool? I mean, it could've been a poem, but it also could've been a song.

My knowledge of Finnish folk music also tells me that they did have some fairly quiet songs. Still, it's a bit of a weird situation for other survivor groups since in some cultures people reasoned that loud noise would ward off evil.

JoB

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2021, 06:22:14 AM »
Spoiler: an *actual* spoiler today • show

Say, y'all are aware that this entire "no music, because SSSS" angle arose from a tongue-in-cheek pun chain, aren't you ... ?

-- Jitter, I like that headcanon about the Sami! So well hidden that even Minna thinks they're not there. Maybe their numbers are coming up and they're thinking about coming out of hiding by around year 100, though?
Ahha! That's smart. Either way, there's no way they're gone or that the other explanation Minna gave is true.
To bring everyone to the same page, after effectively declaring the Sami language extinct in the post-Rash world per the Language Trees, Minna presented the in-story explanation that the Sami people have joined the settlements of non-Sami survivors and mixed into the general population there.

catbirds

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2021, 06:57:12 AM »
Spoiler: an *actual* spoiler today • show

Say, y'all are aware that this entire "no music, because SSSS" angle arose from a tongue-in-cheek pun chain, aren't you ... ?

Oh. LOL. I don't know, I just poked my head in a second ago to see what was going on. I see it now.

To bring everyone to the same page, after effectively declaring the Sami language extinct in the post-Rash world per the Language Trees, Minna presented the in-story explanation that the Sami people have joined the settlements of non-Sami survivors and mixed into the general population there.

Spoiler: a lil controversial maybe • show

Urk, yes, that's a piece of "lore" I'm aware of and I think most of us too. But the historical motives for the erasure of indigenous cultures and languages are pretty similar to that explanation, so it isn't really a considerate backstory to give them.