Author Topic: Thoughts on the End of SSSS  (Read 16901 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Thoughts on the End of SSSS
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2023, 07:53:01 PM »
The good new days sounds wonderful!

Thank you Glass for your beautiful words. Like Buteo says, we're fewer but we are still around! And of course welcome to the forum! We have some squirrel cookies around, the head cookie baker (Mirasol) just came by with a fresh batch. You are welcome to share!

I myself joined the fandom late, after the heyest heyday (early days of Adventure 2), but the world, the characters and the community have become more than important to me. Also like Buteo said, your feelings are very familiar. It was different for us, who hoed and feared for the story and the characters as and when what happened, happened, but weirdly complex feelings is a good description. As you will see, if you read the various threads about the aftermath of “Lovely people” and then during the winding down of Adventure 2, it was weirdly complex for many of us. It still is. But we are around, and intend to stay here!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2023, 08:28:02 PM »
I could never say no to cookies Jitter, thank you. As for the words; they're one of the things I think I'm okay at, and I'm glad you could see beauty in them.

I've taken a look at a few threads (including this one) and the reaction to Lovely People is telling all on its own. I don't think I'll be reading it, my feelings about Minna's work have already been soured enough. Though admittedly the reactions and opinions on this very forum have helped a great deal to even out the shock I was feeling a day or two ago, and I may or may not have started putting down Silent World related words.<.<

The resilience of the community here is something to admire. I'm glad to, even for a few moments, be around it - not to say I don't intend to take a look around and see where I can throw some thoughts, or what kind of people I can meet.

It's nice looking at a forum textbox again, as weird as that is to say.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2023, 11:24:43 PM »
Hi Glass! Must be a bit of a shock to see the changes. I’ve been here since quite early days, and find it sad to see a brilliant making discarded so carelessly.

Still, one of the things I do in the real world is storyteller, and something I have discovered in the course of a long and varied life is that a story is a story, no matter whether it is an ancient folktale or a modern webcomic, and each story is a fertile substrate from which other tales may grow. That is human imagination, the craft of making, and the folk process.

I recommend this community’s deep and amazing stash of fanart, fanfic and creative speculation and discussion. We try to maintain the spirit of the original work. Join us and have fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2023, 01:08:52 PM »
I strongly recommend staying off Lovely People. It, and particularly the author comments at the ens, was so bad I stopped making voting reminders* in the Disqus comments because there was a huge LP banner and I didn’t want to promote it in any way. This is remarkable because I loved the reminders, and I don’t think we knew at that time SSSS was ending.

Some insight to Minna’s process of thinking and of faith can be found in her personal testimony comic A Meandering Line. It’s still not recommended unless you want a great big portion of Christianity, but it’s about her and not about what everyone else should do / believe and therefore a lot more palatable to me at least.

We’d love to see you stick around! If you do write something, do post on the Writing board (you can poat a link to AO3 or other fanfiction site, or post the work directly here, or both, as long as it’s PG-13 / T rated. There’s a separate board for mature works). And we have the ongoing ”forum event” Prompt of the Week, which could well be a low threshold way to stretch the writing muscles as drafts are very welcome!

* we used to vote for SSSS on thr TopWebComics list every day to get more readers, and someone would put in a reminder to do so every day. Until LP dropped that is.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Glass

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2023, 07:27:03 PM »
Hi Róisín, lovely to meet you - and you're more than right on feeling shocked. It's the comic book equivalent of an icy plunge, hah.

I recommend this community’s deep and amazing stash of fanart, fanfic and creative speculation and discussion. We try to maintain the spirit of the original work. Join us and have fun!

Do you happen to have any fanfic or the like that you particularly enjoy or would recommend?

Some insight to Minna’s process of thinking and of faith can be found in her personal testimony comic A Meandering Line. It’s still not recommended unless you want a great big portion of Christianity, but it’s about her and not about what everyone else should do / believe and therefore a lot more palatable to me at least.

I grew up around a lot of Christian sectarian violence - and a lot of the same questions Minna mentions in that testimony comic which I...admit I couldn't actually get all the way through. It felt very twee with the bunnys as people again, though maybe I'm still getting over my SSSS bitterness. Having gone through the dark tunnel of 'oh god eternity is a thing and we're a drop of sand in its neverending beach' I came out the other end still pretty firmly agnostic - so empathy for the fear there, sure, but a healthy bit of scorn that I probably shouldn't hold on to too tightly. 

We’d love to see you stick around! If you do write something, do post on the Writing board (you can poat a link to AO3 or other fanfiction site, or post the work directly here, or both, as long as it’s PG-13 / T rated. There’s a separate board for mature works). And we have the ongoing ”forum event” Prompt of the Week, which could well be a low threshold way to stretch the writing muscles as drafts are very welcome!

I do trend towards writing horror, as horifically as it comes, (and the body horror element of the Silent World still strikes me today) so I'm sure if I decide to put anything together for people to read the AO3 link will need dropped in that more mature section. The prompts sound fun though, I'm always looking for more excuses to write.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:29:21 PM by Glass »
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2023, 08:00:57 PM »
(Hello, welcome, and yes - many people here hold onto the same sentiments about Minna's new work as you do)

Unfortunately ao3 is down so I can't provide links but I know a fan-favourite fic series is 'Kasvatus', which essentially continues the story after adventure 1 in a different direction. Lots of worldbuilding, lots of Emil/Lalli pining then 'Emil/Lalli moderate relational hurdles' as well as interesting exploration of other character relations as well, lots of sheep, interesting OCs, and plotlines that will make you want to keep turning the pages. Metaphorically.

We've also got the SSSS Scriptorium board on this forum which has a whole treasure trove of fic (many of which can be accessed without ao3, which is an advantage at the present moment)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Glass

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2023, 10:41:05 AM »
I know I'm bouncing between here and the intro thread now but I wanted to be polite - thank you for the welcome, Looking, and the recommendation. I'll check it out once A03 is properly functional again; it's been a while since I read fanfiction but I have a strangely revived interest.

In the meantime I'll glance at the Scriptorum, and hopefully find a spark that kindles some inspiration.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Róisín

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2023, 11:24:31 PM »
Fan writers I would recommend at first thought are Onnenlintu, JStevens, Jiiri (who is the same person as our Jitter). There are others whose work is equally good, but whose precise tags I can’t remember, and at present Archive is down from some kind of hacking incident. Hope it comes back, I have some work there myself. I’m Tanist there.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2023, 04:38:10 PM »
Oh thank you Róisín! I’m honored!

One of the consequences of What Happened was that I nearly stopped writing. I have taken it up again but my main storyline(s, I think they will merge at some point) is more or less in a hiatus. At least the short stories and silly bits are all here too :)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2023, 05:45:52 PM »
There are others whose work is equally good, but whose precise tags I can’t remember...
SectoBoss.
OwlsG0/AuntyAgonee and Lazy8 orphaned their works but left them up, and the Index links still work.

Róisín

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2023, 11:32:46 PM »
Yeah, definitely SectoBoss!