Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73470 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
Try not to eat all of them at once.
And that's where the recipe takes a turn to being virtually impossible to succeed with. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »
If you want to experience what Lalli felt when he tasted Mikkel’s cookies, try this very easy recipe:

Vaniljekranse (Danish Butter Biscuit)

(snip)

AHH these look really easy to make... and the ingredients are similar to what I use to make shortbread, so I assume the taste is similar. I'm totally going to have to try this. *_* (I've always wondered how to make the wreath-shape, never would have thought to use a piping bag because it isn't a standard part of my kitchen. Looks like I'll have to make an addition! : D )
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
Perfect photo ;) And wise but difficult advice isn't it, Lalli ?
I don't have a piping bag. I had one, and wasn't very successful with it ::) Maybe I could try again...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2015, 11:27:15 AM »
AHH these look really easy to make... and the ingredients are similar to what I use to make shortbread, so I assume the taste is similar. I'm totally going to have to try this. *_* (I've always wondered how to make the wreath-shape, never would have thought to use a piping bag because it isn't a standard part of my kitchen. Looks like I'll have to make an addition! : D )

Yes, it's very easy to make this and working with the piping bag is kind of fun. I totally recommend to try it.
The hard part is to keep the biscuits until you meet your friends - I had to put the box on the top shelf :D
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
If you want to experience what Lalli felt when he tasted Mikkel’s cookies, try this very easy recipe:

Vaniljekranse (Danish Butter Biscuit)

Ingredients

300g flour
200g butter
100g icing sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp (15-20 ml) of vanilla paste

Ingredients must be at room temperature.

Put the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix with the butter. Add the vanilla paste and the whipped egg, and combine well.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a piping bag to form little wreaths.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 8-10 minutes.

Mmmmmm!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

hhheresy

• Tumblr
  • warning: i dont "socialize"
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
Ohohohohoh I just LOVE to cook, so this thread is like an early Christmas present!

Holiday Roll-out Cookies (the kind that people ice fancy designs on)
Makes 36 cookies, more if you cut them smaller

INGREDIENTS:
2.5 cups (355g) flour
3/4 cup (160g) Powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons (28g) cream cheese, room temperature
Splash of vanilla extract, as much as you want really

First, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer (or by hand, it'll just take longer) until that's combined.

Then, with the mixer running on low (or you stirring slowly) add the butter one piece at a time until the mixture looks kinda like damp sand.

Next, mix in the vanilla and cream cheese until the dough comes together in a big clump.

Knead that dough until it's all staying together (aka grope it with your hands until it isn't falling apart) and then divide into 2 pieces. Smoosh those pieces so they're sorta disk like, wrap them in plastic wrap or wax paper, and stick them in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes.

Now you can preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit or 177 Celsius, making sure you've got a rack in the middle part of the oven.

Working with just one piece of dough at a time, put it between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll it until it's as thin as you want it, but probably not any thicker than around 1/8 inch or like 1 cm. Then, put the rolled dough on the baking sheet and put in in the fridge AGAIN, for 10 minutes this time.

Now just peel off the top layer of wax paper, cut out designs, and repeat the rolling process until you're all out of dough. I've rerolled the dough like ten bajillion times without it getting weird, so it's probably fine with it. If it's getting too soft, put it back in the fridge.

Finally you can bake them for about 10 minutes on a wax paper lined baking sheet, rotating halfway through. Then let them cool before eating or glazing them!
Native: English
Learning: Norwegian
Vaguely grasps some aspects: Spanish, Japanese

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2015, 11:59:02 PM »
 Here is an absolutely non-christmas related recipe that I planned on posting a while back but never got around to it.

Spoiler: Lamb Curry • show
Ingredients:
500g Ground Lamb, divided into cherry-sized chunks.
~ 4 medium-sized potatoes chopped into grape-sized chucks.
A lot of spices:
   Turmeric
   Ginger (If you have some, fresh ginger is best. about 1 tbsp small mince.)
   Cumin
   Fenugreek
   Pepper
   Salt
   Paprika
   Onion/Garlic Powder
   Ground Chili Pepper
   Fennel
   Dill
   Ground Mustard
   Some fresh mint
   -all to taste

A 796ml (26 oz.) can of diced tomatoes (or ~4 fist-sized fresh tomatoes, diced. If you use fresh tomatoes, you will need some extra tomato juice on hand)

3 long, unpeeled, carrots cut into 1/2 cm thick discs.

1 big red onion, chopped into thin slices and broken up into rings

4 large cloves of garlic. (or less, if you do not like garlic as much as I do.)

Anything else you have in the fridge that you would like to throw in. (celery, radish maybe?)

Some white wine

First, put the potatoes in the large pot and add enough water to cover them. Add all the spices except the dill to the water, and stir it to coat the potatoes with the spice. Do not put a lid on it, just let it boil off. Stir the potatoes every couple minutes.

Then, start cooking the onions, garlic, carrots, and whatever other vegetables you had in the frying pan. (I use olive oil because my mom cannot have lactose, but you could use butter) Cook until the carrots are softened and then push the veggies to the side of the pan and add the lamb. Toss in the mint leaves and a bit of white wine. Let the meat cook for a while, stirring about every 3 mins.

Put the dill, some turmeric, and some salt in the can of tomatoes (or in a bowl with the fresh tomatoes) and give it a stir to let the spices soak in before you mix it into the main dish.

Once the meat is fully cooked, empty the entire pan into the pot with the potatoes. Stir it all together. At this point you can pour the tomatoes into the pot, and stir them in well. Let the mixture heat up for a while and spoon into bowls. Serve hot!  :D

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »
Hmm, after all these delicious sounding recipies I feel a bit like a bummer to post my questions here, but it says "Other food-related stuff", so I figure this is the place for it.
I was wondering for a while now: How long is food stored in tin cans edible. Would it be possible for the SSSS-crew to resupply from y0-foodstorage if it was in tin cans or from well stored dry goods? I don't seem to find sources in the internet which cover this kind of question or, specifically, cover a timespan longer than a few years.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

IKEA

« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »
Hmm, after all these delicious sounding recipies I feel a bit like a bummer to post my questions here, but it says "Other food-related stuff", so I figure this is the place for it.
I was wondering for a while now: How long is food stored in tin cans edible. Would it be possible for the SSSS-crew to resupply from y0-foodstorage if it was in tin cans or from well stored dry goods? I don't seem to find sources in the internet which cover this kind of question or, specifically, cover a timespan longer than a few years.
Don't know. I'm down in my pantry right now, and my evaporated milk supposedly expired two years ago :P but the ends of the can aren't bulging so it should still be fine. Here's a paper on canning that may or may not help (I just skimmed)http://bmb.oxfordjournals.org/content/56/1/1.2.full.pdf

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2016, 01:43:53 PM »
Thank you for the link. It doesn't answer my question but is quite interesting in itself. =)
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.

Survived:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »
I was wondering for a while now: How long is food stored in tin cans edible. Would it be possible for the SSSS-crew to resupply from y0-foodstorage if it was in tin cans or from well stored dry goods?
Foodstuffs have a best-by date because legislation insists that they have one. Run-of-the-mill tin-canned food puts that a couple years into the future, special "prepper" versions advertise 15 or more, and freeze-dried tin-canned long term provisions currently name dates in the year 2040.

Nonetheless, and off camera, so to speak, a lot of producers say that tin-canned food will actually last as long as it takes the very can to get breached - "save changes of taste". The preppers confirm that by saying that tin cans will turn bad "early", or not at all.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the link! What an interesting, and slightly disturbing, site. And I found my answers! :D

Survived:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #192 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »

Some things would certainly be edible in Y90.  That's assuming they have a can opener.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #193 on: February 29, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
Today I found myself in a tragic dilemma because I was located near a number of fruit smoothie sellers, and a number of coffee sellers, but seemingly no caffeinated fruit smoothie sellers.

It got me wondering about getting a smoothie and getting a double espresso and dumping it in and mixing, but that might end up unspeakable awful. I don't know! Nor what kind of fruits it might be decent with, if it's not inherently dreadful - would mango and guava be a horrible mistake? banana could be safe, but ideally banana with something additional? does orange go with coffee or is that as bad as combining orange juice with milk? raspberry smoothies usually aren't offered here but coffee goes very well with raspberry?
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #194 on: February 29, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »
Coffee goes well with raspberry, almond, cinnamon, cardamon, and very nicely with orange. Orange with strong black coffee and chocolate.....mmmm!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!