Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73453 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
That's the thing, though, 1 cup is actually a standard measurement! It's a specific measuring cup size. You don't, like, just grab a coffee mug and use that. ;p Errr it's about... 236 ml?
Maybe I should have done the metric conversions....
Don't worry for the conversions :) I'll search. It must just be me translating "a cup" without asking myself anything else.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
Laufey was curious about my Butter Tart recipe, so here it is! Unfortunately, I don't have any photos at this time, but maybe later on....

Vintage Canadian Butter Tarts

...As long as you reduce the temperature on time, they're pretty foolproof.

Those sound really yummy, unfortunately I don't have any tart pans, but I'm keeping it for future reference.  Or could it be baked as a pie?  Also, you have to reduce the temperature? *Is confused by the last line*
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Those sound really yummy, unfortunately I don't have any tart pans, but I'm keeping it for future reference.  Or could it be baked as a pie?  Also, you have to reduce the temperature? *Is confused by the last line*

Hmm, I've never tried it as a pie. The result would probably taste similar to a pecan pie. But you would need to account for differences in baking time and probably oven temperature as well, so I'm not sure I'd recommend experimenting.

And yes, you need to reduce it. You bake it at 450 for 8 minutes, then after that you reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake it for 15-20 more minutes. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
Hmm, I've never tried it as a pie. The result would probably taste similar to a pecan pie. But you would need to account for differences in baking time and probably oven temperature as well, so I'm not sure I'd recommend experimenting.

And yes, you need to reduce it. You bake it at 450 for 8 minutes, then after that you reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake it for 15-20 more minutes. : D

Thanks for the info!  I'll just have to get tart pans someday...
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
That's the thing, though, 1 cup is actually a standard measurement! It's a specific measuring cup size. You don't, like, just grab a coffee mug and use that. ;p Errr it's about... 236 ml?
Maybe I should have done the metric conversions....

Yes, in cooking in the English- speaking world, "1 cup" = 8 fluid ounces or 1/2 pint.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2015, 04:03:30 AM »
Laufey was curious about my Butter Tart recipe, so here it is! Unfortunately, I don't have any photos at this time, but maybe later on....

snip

Yayyy thank you! This recipe sounds really good, I can't wait to try it!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DiscoMonster

« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »

A typical Finnish farmhouse in 1946.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
Yes, in cooking in the English- speaking world, "1 cup" = 8 fluid ounces or 1/2 pint.

WARNING WARNING WARNING.

Cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, ALL OF THAT.

Standard here at my house is to put the measurement in millilitres or grams or whatever system used next to it.

Because wouldn't you have it, a cup or a tablespoon or a teaspoon is DIFFERENT depending on which country it is from, regardless if English-speaking or not. Some recipes note a cup as being only 200ml. Others note it at being 220ml. The standard form of 1 cup in Australia is 250ml. 1 cup in the US is usually not in metric at all. Tablespoons are horrific, sometimes being 12.5ml, sometimes 15ml, sometimes 20ml, and sometimes even 25ml (for some things this is fine, but if you put twice as much baking powder in something as needed... eh...). The only consistent measurement I have found is in fact the teaspoon, which I have never ever seen as anything but 5ml.

But yes. Considering the international audience of this thread, perhaps putting measurements along with cups/tablespoons/etc. would be a good standard to adapt? Metric/Imperial can be converted, after all, but an ambiguous measurement of "1 cup" which can have more than three different meanings cannot.
Am notified of private messages via email.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
WARNING WARNING WARNING.

Cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, ALL OF THAT.

Standard here at my house is to put the measurement in millilitres or grams or whatever system used next to it.

Because wouldn't you have it, a cup or a tablespoon or a teaspoon is DIFFERENT depending on which country it is from, regardless if English-speaking or not. Some recipes note a cup as being only 200ml. Others note it at being 220ml. The standard form of 1 cup in Australia is 250ml. 1 cup in the US is usually not in metric at all. Tablespoons are horrific, sometimes being 12.5ml, sometimes 15ml, sometimes 20ml, and sometimes even 25ml (for some things this is fine, but if you put twice as much baking powder in something as needed... eh...). The only consistent measurement I have found is in fact the teaspoon, which I have never ever seen as anything but 5ml.

But yes. Considering the international audience of this thread, perhaps putting measurements along with cups/tablespoons/etc. would be a good standard to adapt? Metric/Imperial can be converted, after all, but an ambiguous measurement of "1 cup" which can have more than three different meanings cannot.

A pint is also very different between the US and the UK -- it's 20 fl oz in the UK and 16 in the US.

But 1 US cup is a smidge under 240ml
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Tap

• Scout
  • previously Sahoin
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Yay, weekend is here, so this newbie has a bit of time to stop just lurking on various threads and actually start adding to them! c: I'll just start right off: I'm a lifelong vegan/vegetarian/plant-based-diet-arian, and I really love cooking and gardening and stuff like that. It just makes me super happy to make something both beautiful and yummy and then to have other people enjoy it ^u^ Any other folks around here who are eating a plant-based diet or interested in one? I'd love to talk, especially if anyone has any questions.

Here's a quick recipe to share: vegan hot cocoa! It's late autumn where I am, and my faaaavorite drink is a warm cup of cocoa with whip cream. (I love a vegan brand from the store called Soyatoo, though I'm not sure if that's available outside the US. I also love making my own from coconut cream though; if anyone's interested, that's another recipe I could put up here sometime.)

As mentioned above, I'm from the US, so I shall be using US measurements. There are probably conversions out in the Vast Lands of Google, should anyone need to convert the measurements c:
Spoiler: Vegan Hot Cocoa, Simple or ~Fancy~ • show
Basic Ingredients:
~ Hot water
~ 1/3 Cup coconut cream*
~ 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
~ 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
~ Pinch of salt
~ Sweetener of choice in your preferred amount**

*Try to find a can with a BPA free lining!
**I like to use honey or agave, but anything works. You don't need much, especially if you're adding something sweetened like whip cream c:

Optional Ingredients: There's no end of fun stuff you can dress this up with! I like to use all sorts of things: whip cream, flavor extracts (such as mint or orange), cocao nibs, sprinkles, vegan marshmallows, you name it c: Remember though, if you're going to add in any extracts, always start with very tiny amounts, because in cooking/baking, it's always easy to add more, but much harder to take things out.

Instructions: While your water is heating up, simply grab your mug and put the rest of the ingredients in -- I suggest starting with the coconut so that your powder is more easily dissolved. If you're adding an additional extract, put that in now. Stir it all together a bit, and then pour your desired amount of hot water in. Be sure it's quite warm, otherwise your cocoa powder won't dissolve properly! Now you can either drink it as is, or dress it up however you like to first. Enjoy!

If you want something even creamier, you can use any sort of non-dairy milk (or regular milk, of course) in place of water; you can heat that up in a saucepan, but be sure to stir it frequently so that it doesn't scald!

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
Sunflower asked me about home-made jams recipes. So they are below.

Orange and ginger jam
Spoiler: show
Ingredients
Oranges - 1.5 kg
Sugar - 2 kg
Water - 2.5 cups
Fresh ginger - 1 cup (can be reduced)

Wash oranges, then cut them into slices and select the pips. Clean and chop fresh ginger root (or it can be rubbed on a grater). Pour water in pot, add sugar, stir, then cook at low heat until it boils.

Add orange and ginger. After boiling reduce fire. Remove the foam when it is necessary. Cook for 2 hours. (Do not close the lid.)
After that cool and put in jars.

Pumpkin, apricot, lemon and cinnamon jam
Ingredients
Pumpkin - 1 kg
Dryed apricot - 0.5 kg
1 lemon juice
Cinnamon - 1 tea spoon

Wash dryed apricots and put them into warm water for 10-15 minutes.
Wash and peel pumpkin: cut it, remove seeds and skin. Chop the pumpkin into small cubes.
Then chop dried apricots. You may do it as you like, and if you chop finely, they would not be visible in jam, if you make it large, you’ll have whole pieces.

Put pumpkin into pot, add sugar, and cook for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. After that add dried apricots, stir and simmer for about 40 minutes.

Red currant-cinnamon jam
Ingredients
Red currant - 1.5 kg
Sugar - 2.5 kg
Cinnamon - 1-2 sticks
Water – 20 ml

Wash red currant berries in cold water, pour into pan, and then add sugar and cinnamon. Leave the pot in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, put the pan on low heat, add 20 ml. water and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cool. Simmer for 20 minutes once more.

Persimmon-vanilla jam
Ingredients
Persimmon - 500 gr
Sugar - 500 gr
1 Anise (badian) star
Vanilla beans - 2 cm

Wash persimmon, remove skin, seeds and leaves, then chop. Add sugar and anise. Jam over medium heat about 2 hours. Cool, then simmer again for 2 hours.

Mint jam
Ingredients
Fresh Mint: 300 gr
Water: 0.5 liters
Sugar - 1 kg
2 lemons

Wash and chop the fresh mint. Wash lemons and silce with the skin. Add water and cook for 10 minutes. Then leave it for 24 hours.

After a day filter it, add sugar and cook for two hours on low heat, removing the foam.

Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
I made some lemon loaf to bring in to work, so I decided to share the recipe here as well. Imperial measurements again, I'm sorry.

If you've had Starbucks lemon loaf... this is sort of like that, except it's a million times better. ; ) It's also super easy to make. Recipe under the spoiler.

Lemon Loaf
*Makes 1 loaf in a standard-sized loaf pan

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tb lemon zest
2 tb lemon extract
1 + 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix eggs, sugar, oil, and lemon extract, beating after every addition. If you do not have lemon zest, increase lemon extract amount to 2.5 tb instead of 2.
Add flour, baking powder, and salt, beating after every addition.
Add sour cream.

Grease loaf pan thoroughly before pouring. Lining bottom with wax paper in addition to greasing is recommended (yes, it really is that sticky).

Bake at 350F for 55 minutes or until it tests with fork as finished.

You can add a lemon glaze after it cools, or maybe a poppyseed glaze. But it's also really good plain, too. And it stays moist and fresh for a really long time. : ) It also freezes well.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »
Right, so, easy-peasy

Re-hyrdate some dried mushrooms.  I prefer to use porcini, but use whatever ones you like.  Make sure to squeeze the excess water back into the bowl so you don't lose any of it, because you're going to use it to cook some rice.  Your preference; I often do it with brown rice and occasioanlly wild rice.

When the rice is about half done, dice up some onion and sautée it (I use olive oil, but that's not critical) until brown and just starting to crisp.   Chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces, sautée them as well (or you can do it at the same time as the onion, but that's harder to make sure it's all cooked).

Mix it all together and you have a lovely accompaniment to fish or poultry.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2015, 01:30:07 PM »
Found some interesting sites:

Food for kinaesthetics: http://www.looklistensmelleat.com/

And the second site contains illustrations for various recipes: http://www.theydrawandcook.com

Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »
If you want to experience what Lalli felt when he tasted Mikkel’s cookies, try this very easy recipe:

Vaniljekranse (Danish Butter Biscuit)

Ingredients

300g flour
200g butter
100g icing sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp (15-20 ml) of vanilla paste

Ingredients must be at room temperature.

Put the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix with the butter. Add the vanilla paste and the whipped egg, and combine well.
Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a piping bag to form little wreaths.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 8-10 minutes.

Try not to eat all of them at once.

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: