Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73449 times)

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
Speaking of chilipeppers. Somewhere in discussions under SSSS pages there was mentioned an apple pay with chilipepper. Maybe, someone knows it's recipe(-es)?
majavanainen

tesseract

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
Hey, since we've got a pretty international bunch here in the forums, how does everybody feel about peanut butter?

I love it. It's a cheap source of vegetarian protein, rich in B vitamins, and I can slam my poor peanut butter and jelly sandwich around and it'll still taste good at lunchtime.

But I've also heard it's sort of an acquired taste. Is that true?
I can speak English (natively) and Spanish (más o menos).

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
But I've also heard it's sort of an acquired taste. Is that true?

Well, even though I'm American, I must now put in my two bits. I've actually lost my taste for peanut butter, somewhat recently. I mean, it's still good, but I no longer put it on all peanut-butter-less things. But peanut butter cookies will ALWAYS be good. :)

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
Hey, since we've got a pretty international bunch here in the forums, how does everybody feel about peanut butter?

I like peanut butter, but I hardly ever eat it with jelly. When my mom used to prepare peanut butter sandwiches for me, she'd sometimes spread peanut butter on one side, and butter on the other. It's not bad, really, but you need to have zero qualms about fat content. Now that I prepare it myself, it's just peanut butter on bread (less things to do/wash) and eaten on the drive to work.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
Speaking of chilipeppers. Somewhere in discussions under SSSS pages there was mentioned an apple pay with chilipepper. Maybe, someone knows its recipe(-es)?

Your wish is my command.
New Mexico-style apple pie with green chilies and pine nuts.  (pi [N-with-tilde]on is the Spanish word for locally harvested pine nuts) http://www.rionuevo.com/news/index.php/2013/10/recipe-of-the-week-new-mexican-apple-pie/
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Here's a recipe the Known World might plausibly eat (with alterations).  I've made it several times -- handy for a single person because it makes a big batch of pancakes that you can take out and heat in individual servings.

These produce thick, fluffy, American-style pancakes, not the European kind good for wrapping around things (crepes, Swedish pannkakor, etc.).

Toaster Pancakes (recipe via the Washington Post)

3/4 cups quick-cooking oats (i.e. rolled oats, not nubbly Irish-style oats)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken before pouring, plus 2 tablespoons, or more as needed
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, or more as needed
1 1/2 tsp. (1/2 T) baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (omit in the Known World, or substitute ginger or other sweet spice)
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (ditto)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (i.e., fluffy, coarse-flaked salt; slightly less if regular table salt)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 T. melted unsalted butter
1 T. maple syrup, or to taste (real maple syrup, not "pancake syrup"; in the Known World, substitute molasses or other liquid sweetener, or equal quantity of buttermilk/liquid)

Stir together the oats and 3/4 C. of the buttermilk in a medium bowl; set aside to soak for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a mixing bowl.

Beat the egg in a small bowl and add it to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter, syrup, soaked oats, and remaining buttermilk.  Stir to form a lumpy batter; do not over-mix, or pancakes will be tough and less fluffy.  Thin with more buttermilk or thicken with a bit more flour, as needed.  [Note: I always need more liquid or the pancakes turn out impossibly thick, almost like scones.]

Grease a griddle or large frying pan and heat to medium.  Pour a small amount of batter for a test pancake; cook for a minute or two on each side (till bubbles pop), then taste and adjust the level of sweetener in the remaining batter as desired.

Working in batches, pour or spoon batter by about 1/4 or 1/3 cup to create 15-20 pancakes.  [The original recipe said 6 pancakes of 2/3 cup each, but those were as big as my pan bottom and too big for me to flip without messing them up.]

Cook for a minute or two on each side, till bottoms are lightly browned and bubbles pop.  Flip them over and cook for a minute or two on the other side.  Transfer to a warm plate as you work.

If not serving right away, cool and refrigerate (for up to 3 days) or freeze.  These reheat nicely in a toaster oven.  (I can't vouch for how they'd work in a pop-up, vertical toaster.)

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »
Your wish is my command.
New Mexico-style apple pie with green chilies and pine nuts.  (pi [N-with-tilde]on is the Spanish word for locally harvested pine nuts) http://www.rionuevo.com/news/index.php/2013/10/recipe-of-the-week-new-mexican-apple-pie/
Thank you! I am going to try it as soon as I found all the ingridients, maybe tomorrow. I don't think they sell piñon somewhere around here, but siberian cedar nuts should be good enough...
majavanainen

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Curried Spinach-Pea Soup
From Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

5 cups water
1/2 T. salt
8 cups diced potatoes (about 5 medium)
8 garlic cloves
1-2 T. vegetable oil
4 cups chopped onions (3-4 onions)
1 1/2 T. grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. (i.e. 1/2 T) turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste  [You can substitute a dash of Tabasco or other pepper sauce]
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 T. fresh lemon juice, or to taste (about 1/2 lemon)
1 lb. frozen green peas (about 3 cups)  [NOTE: This is one of the few cases where frozen peas are actually better than fresh; they keep their color better when cooked.]
4 cups packed fresh spinach (or equivalent frozen)
1 can low-fat coconut milk (14-oz. can, or 1 3/4 cups)

I tried this one today and gosh it's good! I had some Quark left and put it in there. As i still have fresh coconut left I took that one in instead of the milk and portions head to be reduced down to one persons meal. It tasted delicious and I will put that one into my receipe book. Also it is really healthy :)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
I tried this one today and gosh it's good! I had some Quark left and put it in there. As i still have fresh coconut left I took that one in instead of the milk and portions head to be reduced down to one persons meal. It tasted delicious and I will put that one into my receipe book. Also it is really healthy :)

Isn't it good?  The aroma of those spices could revive a dying person.  I like nearly all the recipes I've gotten from Moosewood Restaurant's cookbooks -- they are carefully tested, easy to follow, and interesting (but not bizarre) ingredient combinations. 

Jungle Soup is right in my "sweet spot" for the ideal amount of spice.  I'm pretty spice-positive for someone of my ethnic ancestry in the U.S. (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)... but a total weakling compared to California's multi-ethnic population, who joyfully pack into Indian, Thai, Mexican, African, and Szechuan restaurants demanding more, more, more chilies!

Meanwhile, my parents, who are in their 70s but trim, active, and in excellent health, once asked me how to find turmeric supplements.  It turned out some medical school newsletter recommended eating turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties.  I was nonplussed, because who would want to gulp down some dumb capsules if you could eat turmeric in delicious Indian food?

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
So I tried the apple-chilli pie today! What can I say about it... When I was like "Maybe I'll preserve some pieces to share with my colleagues tomorrow" my parents all gone like "No! Nom nom nom!" Even inspite of I have forgotten of cinnamon. I hope not to forget about cinnamon next time...
majavanainen

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 05:05:09 PM »
So I tried the apple-chilli pie today! What can I say about it... When I was like "Maybe I'll preserve some pieces to share with my colleagues tomorrow" my parents all gone like "No! Nom nom nom!" Even inspite of I have forgotten of cinnamon. I hope not to forget about cinnamon next time...

Huh, when people propose adding chilli to deserts I'm automatically sceptical. Judging by your parents chilli and apple pie is actually a good idea.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 02:34:20 AM »
My father made me this for lunch today.  It is not only tasty and healthy, it could be served in the Known World (with a few ingredient substitutions), since kale is a cold-tolerant green.

It's good for a simple lunch or supper (maybe paired with rice or other grain, or potatoes), or as a side dish.

The Commodore's Kale

1 8-oz. bag pre-cut and cleaned lacinato/Tuscan kale (or about 1.5 bunches fresh, stemmed and chopped)
3 slices pancetta (Italian cured pork belly) or bacon
1-2 shallots, or 1/4-1/2 onion  (add or substitute cloves of garlic if you prefer)
1 14-oz. can low-sodium chicken broth ("low-sodium" recommended even if you're not trying to cut down on salt, as the pancetta is quite salty)
Olive oil

Dice the pancetta and shallots/onion small.  Wash and chop the kale if it wasn't already prepared.  No need to dry it off.

In a large, deep frying pan, add about 1 T. olive oil (enough to lightly coat the bottom) and heat to medium.  Fry the pancetta gently -- you're not trying to get it crisp-fried like American bacon, just melt the fat.  Add the diced onion/shallot and fry gently until it's limp.

Add the kale and saute until it's lightly coated with the fat and starting to go soft.  Then add all the broth, stir, and cover.  Braise for 10-15 minutes, or until the kale has softened to your liking. 

Season to taste.  Some people like a shot of balsamic vinegar or hot sauce on their greens. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:37:54 AM by Sunflower »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Another soup recipe, adapted from "Moosewood Cooks at Home," one of my favorite cookbooks.  (In fact, my paperback copy is *literally* falling apart, I've used it so much.)
Other than the turmeric and pepper, it's Known World-compatible.

NOTE:  Winter squash can substitute for the yellow summer squash, as noted below.  Liquid whey can substitute for up to half the broth or buttermilk.  (I had some left over from making cheese.)  If you don't have canned broth, use bouillon cubes and the equivalent amount of water.
The last time I made this, I ran short of Cheddar and substituted grated Parmesan for half of it.  It was still good.

GOLDEN CHEESE SOUP A LA MOOSEWOOD

1 cup chopped onions (about 1 small or 2/3 large)
2 T. vegetable oil
2 potatoes (preferably a smooth-skinned variety such as Yukon Gold, not russet/baking potatoes)
1 large carrot
1 medium yellow summer squash (you can also substitute an equivalent amount of winter squash, peeled and diced)
1/4 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. turmeric (or to taste)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
2 cups/a 14-oz. can vegetable stock or chicken broth
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup tightly packed, grated sharp Cheddar
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
1-2 green onions or chives, optional

Peel and chop the onions.  Scrub the potatoes and cut out any eyes or bad spots.  Peel and slice them very thinly.
Scrub and peel the carrots and slice them thinly.
Scrub the squash and cut off the ends and any bad spots.  Slice them thinly.
Grate the cheese.  Wash and chop the green onions, using just the white part and the tender bottom halves of the green part.
Saute the onions in the oil until they're soft.  Stir in the sliced veggies, pepper, and turmeric. Stir all until the turmeric evenly coats the veggies.  Add the stock or water and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.  Turn off the heat.
Add the cheese and stir until it's melted.  Add the buttermilk.  Very important:  Let the soup cool until it's cool enough to touch -- stir if necessary, run cold water against the pot, or even set the pot outside, covered, for a few minutes.  (Hot soup will splash up painfully in the blender.)
When the soup is cool enough to handle, puree it in the blender in batches (or use a stick blender right in the pot, which is MUCH easier).  Reheat gently, and add salt to taste. 
Sprinkle the minced green onions or chives on top for garnish.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:28:08 PM by Sunflower »

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I forgot sugar in a cheesecake...
I...I don't know what to say....

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
NOTE:  Winter squash can substitute for the yellow summer squash, as noted below.  Liquid whey can substitute for up to half the broth or buttermilk.  (I had some left over from making cheese.)  If you don't have canned broth, use bouillon cubes and the equivalent amount of water.

You made cheese. :D