Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73467 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
Fresh off of making another batch of mead, and I figured I could post the recipe I've used (although, the one I made today was an incredibly lazy variant, since I want to have it done by mid-january):

Lazy Way of Making Mead
Ingredients:
- 4 kg honey
- 16 liters of water
- 1 packet of fortified wine yeast (or regular wine yeast for a lower ABV)
- Sugar (preferably brown sugar).

Heat up the honey while in their glass bottles (by lightly heating up water around it). Boil sixteen liters of water and put them in a fermentor (20-25 liters volume). Pour all of the honey into the fermentor, and stir well. Put the yeast and a spoonful of sugar in some warm water (30-35 degrees celcius). Cool both down until both are room temperature, and mix the yeast in with the honey. Put airlock over fermentor and let it yeast for a period of 30-90 days (minimum thirty, and never do it if the airlock spends less than a minute between each bubble/indicator the fermentation process is still ongoing).

Once the mead's fermenting process is done, add in a dash of hops, stir it then bottle it. You can also add other tastes to the mead at this point by mixing in juice from fruit, hops, cloves, etc. From my experience, pear juice works very well with mead.

Ooh, this looks interesting. I don't even know what a fermentor is though, so I probably don't have the necessary equipment.

Fenris

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »
Ooh, this looks interesting. I don't even know what a fermentor is though, so I probably don't have the necessary equipment.
Well, you get everything you need with the 'make your own wine/beer starter kit' they sell at Europris (although, an alkometer is always nice before you start drinking). A fermentor is really just a big jug with a hole in it for an airlock so you can pay attention to the fermentation process process. It was a bit difficult finding some of the English term for things (fermentor = gjæringskar, airlock = gjærlås).

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2014, 04:43:50 AM »
I kept the caramel mass in the fridge over night and was able to cut it into, well, lumps which I wrapped in baking paper. To eat the candy, you have to lick it off the paper, but it is worth the effort. ;) And it seems the salt wasn't too much at all, maybe I had a "salty corner" in the pot.

Don't worry about my tongue, I tasted from the pot after I had poured the caramel mass out and it was already cooling down. So no severe burns. :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
Those of you who have read page 228 know what I'm talking about.

Assuming that the baked goods that blew our little scout's mind were classic, sweet cookies (or biscuits) -- not fish-based kitty treats, because I doubt Lalli's feline nature was mentioned in his dossier -- what was in them???

Assuming that something so delicious as to transport you into a world of violet blooms and tinkling kanteles could be made from worldly ingredients, let's try to reverse-engineer a recipe. 

Ground rules:
They can only include ingredients available in the Known World.  So no chocolate or vanilla (and probably no citrus), although let's assume flour, eggs, butter, leavening of some kind (e.g. baking soda), and sugar (beet) are available. 

Cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, saffron, and cardamom -- probably not (though it's possible someone post-Rash could have tried to grow cardamom from seedpods in a greenhouse).  Ginger, quite possibly (since it's grown as an ornamental and might have survived in greenhouses or especially warm nooks of Bornholm). 

If citrus exists, it's probably prohibitively expensive.  But I am willing to allow the existence of raisins, sultanas, etc.; even if they're expensive, Mikkel is probably shrewd enough to use his precious stash for morale purposes.  And the Known World very likely has cool-weather dried fruits (cranberries, blueberries, currants, plums, etc.), as well as nuts. 

If you want to assume dried lavender or some other floral ingredient is in there (hence the purple flowers), go ahead.  Alcohol-based extracts and flavorings (such as rum or amaretto) are probably available but very expensive.

That said, here's my first approximation (with unobtainable ingredients crossed out).  Also, where the recipe says "food processor," substitute "kitchen-minions working their arms off."  For "refrigerate," substitute "put out on the windowsill in a meat safe."

Spiced Cranberry-Orange Zingers

MAKE AHEAD: The dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 1/2 months.  Makes about 60 cookies.
Ingredients:
      3/4 cup picked-over fresh (or defrosted) cranberries, washed and patted dry
      3/4 cup granulated sugar
      2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest (colored part of the skin only)
      Scant 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (may substitute 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
      16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened yet still cool, cut into chunks
      2 1/3 cups flour, plus more as needed
      3 tablespoons defrosted orange juice concentrate
      Coarse crystal sugar, turbinado sugar or granulated sugar, or about 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts or almonds for garnish (optional)

Combine the cranberries and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar in a food processor. Pulse until the cranberries are chopped fairly fine. Turn out the berry-sugar mixture into a large bowl. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the orange zest, cardamom, baking powder and salt in the processor. Process for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, until the zest is very fine.

Add the confectioners' sugar, butter pieces and 1 1/3 cups of the flour. Pulse until the butter is cut in and reduced to fine bits; the mixture should not yet be coming together in a mass. Drizzle the orange juice concentrate over the mixture. Pulse just until the juice concentrate is incorporated and the mixture starts to come together.

Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the sugared, chopped cranberries; stir until well blended. Sprinkle over the remaining 1 cup of flour. Stir lightly, lifting the mixture from the bottom. Then use your hands to gradually knead in the remaining flour until all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated and the berries are evenly distributed. If the dough seems too wet to shape, work in up to 4 more tablespoons of flour.

Divide the dough in half. Working on sheets of wax paper, shape each dough portion into a 10 1/2-inch log. Smooth and stretch out the middle of the logs so they are evenly thick and about 11 inches long. Roll up each log in the paper, twisting the paper ends to keep it closed. (For logs that hold their round shape during chilling, slide each log into a discarded paper towel tube that has been slit lengthwise. Close the tubes with rubber bands or tape; date and label them. Place in resealable plastic food storage bags.) Refrigerate the logs for at least 2 hours, or until very firm but not so hard that they are difficult to cut. Alternately, refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Let refrigerated dough warm up until just barely soft enough to slice before baking (about 10 minutes); thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees. Line several large baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking oil spray.  Use a sharp knife to cut one of the logs crosswise into 30 slices of equal size; for evenly shaped slices, rotate the log a quarter-turn after each cut. Space them about 2 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle the cookie tops with a little sugar or with pistachio nuts, gently patting them into surface.

Bake (middle rack) one sheet at a time for 12 to 16 minutes or until almost firm when pressed in the center top and slightly browned at the edges. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack; let stand until cooled to warm, then use a spatula to transfer the cookies to the wire rack to cool completely. Repeat to bake all of the dough (the second log).

SOURCE: Cookbook author Nancy Baggett, via the Washington Post.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:28 AM »

Assuming that the baked goods that blew our little scout's mind were classic, sweet cookies (or biscuits) -- not fish-based kitty treats, because I doubt Lalli's feline nature was mentioned in his dossier -- what was in them???

Assuming that something so delicious as to transport you into a world of violet blooms and tinkling kanteles could be made from worldly ingredients, let's try to reverse-engineer a recipe. 
Ooooh! I'll have a go! Sort of! I just made shortbread :3 I definitely don't think Mikkel has shortbread in that bag though- it's too crumbly- but I'll write it down anyway :)

Would there be rice flour available?? ???

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of plain flour
1/3 cup of rice flour
1/2 cup of caster sugar (but I'd think regular sugar shouldn't make it implode or anything...)
Pinch of salt
225 grams of butter, chopped
Nom noms:
Generous handful of dried cranberries
Generous handful of macadamias, chopped up
Numerous (about 10) shavings/chunks of honey1

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Put flours, sugar, salt and butter into bowl, rubbing it into a breadcrumb texture with your fingers.
2. Add nom-noms.
3. Press together and knead into a smooth dough.
4. Flatten dough out with hands, patting into a large rectangle about 1cm thick.
5. With knife, cut rectangle into even pieces, place biscuits onto trays lined with baking paper.2 Place in the oven for ~40mins or until the biscuits are slightly golden. Allow to cool/place on cooling rack. :)

1 my honey is solid....
2 I poked happy shapes into the biscuits with a skewer X'D it's not necessary but...I wanted to...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:35:40 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
Ooooh! I'll have a go! Sort of! I just made shortbread :3 I definitely don't think Mikkel has shortbread in that bag though- it's too crumbly- but I'll write it down anyway :)

Would there be rice flour available?? ???

Oh, that sounds DEE-LISH!  I have to try making them.

In the Known World, I don't know if they have rice (though maybe wild rice, which is native to the Great Lakes area and therefore cold-tolerant).  But they probably would have found a substitute that gives the same nice crisp texture as rice flour. 

One question:  Is the honey (in chunks) one of the nom-noms?  It's not necessary to make the dough stick together, or something?  (I ask in case I don't have enough or want to substitute.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2014, 02:02:52 AM »
Oh, that sounds DEE-LISH!  I have to try making them.

In the Known World, I don't know if they have rice (though maybe wild rice, which is native to the Great Lakes area and therefore cold-tolerant).  But they probably would have found a substitute that gives the same nice crisp texture as rice flour. 

One question:  Is the honey (in chunks) one of the nom-noms?  It's not necessary to make the dough stick together, or something?  (I ask in case I don't have enough or want to substitute.)
Yeah, the honey is an extra :) just add to taste

Rae

• My grade B buddy
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »

I'm cheating here - haven't made these, but I love walnuts, and I'm pretty sure they would grow in Denmark? Just ditch the vanilla and add currants or lingonberries? Dried cherries? Maybe I'll try them this weekend...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/walnut-cookies-ii/

Skatiebobatie

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »

I think citrus is a stretch, as are raisins. Think honey, oat flour, dried berries (lingon or elderberries), and flavors from plants in the wild. Elderflower, lavender, mint, even thyme. Hardy plants that would have survived and thrived. I've eaten elderflower cheesecake, made from a medieval recipe - it was sweetened with honey, and I think had an oat flour crust. SO GOOD. So there's really lots of possibilities. And back before sugar beet cultivation, a medieval sweetener was the parsnip. I'd have to look up how that worked, and modern parsnips probably wouldn't work as well, but again, possibilities. I think a honey-sweetened shortbread biscuit flavored with some kind of flower would fit the bill well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:08:27 PM by Skatiebobatie »
"Oh, bother," sighed the Borg. "We've just assimilated Pooh."

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2014, 02:56:05 AM »
All my biscuits were eaten ^u^ and I've been politely encouraged (read: "WHO DID THIS?! WHO ATE THE LAST ONE?! I MADE TEA FOR NOTHINNNNnnnnggg...*gross sobbing*" -Anon Family Member) to make some more, a double batch :3

I'm going to use the same shortbread recipe, but try a honey and apple version....honey-apple always works in cupcakes...I hope it works in shortbread OAO

EDIT: I wasn't allowed to put apple in :( oh well
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:59:56 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2014, 04:26:44 AM »
 ??? Don't tell me there are family members who don't like apples? (I mean, having an apple farm and such...)
Another sidenote to the apple cider caramels I made: In the end, they were to liquid to make caramels out of it, but they tasted super yummy on bread (stereotypical German: bread = <3). And also in combination with cream cheese. My mother asked me to make a full glass of it, but I can't find the time at the moment.  :-\
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
??? Don't tell me there are family members who don't like apples? (I mean, having an apple farm and such...)
Another sidenote to the apple cider caramels I made: In the end, they were to liquid to make caramels out of it, but they tasted super yummy on bread (stereotypical German: bread = <3). And also in combination with cream cheese. My mother asked me to make a full glass of it, but I can't find the time at the moment.  :-\
My spoilsport sister said it would make the biscuits soggy ;__;

However, I took a picture of the non-apple biscuits :) they're not very square because i gave up trying to be accurate....

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
Ooooohhhh... You're making me HUNGRY! ;D
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

P__

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »
My spoilsport sister said it would make the biscuits soggy ;__;

However, I took a picture of the non-apple biscuits :) they're not very square because i gave up trying to be accurate....

don't show those to Lalli or there won't be any left for us  :-[
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
don't show those to Lalli or there won't be any left for us  :-[
[Pictures Lalli in a harness making the cat-tank airfoil over the seas from Denmark all the way to those cookies]

Well, Minna did say that she's planning for later, more distant expeditions for our heroes. Let's call them the Cookies Ex Machina, shall we? ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15