Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73451 times)

IKEA

Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #195 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
Today I found myself in a tragic dilemma because I was located near a number of fruit smoothie sellers, and a number of coffee sellers, but seemingly no caffeinated fruit smoothie sellers.

It got me wondering about getting a smoothie and getting a double espresso and dumping it in and mixing, but that might end up unspeakable awful. I don't know! Nor what kind of fruits it might be decent with, if it's not inherently dreadful - would mango and guava be a horrible mistake? banana could be safe, but ideally banana with something additional? does orange go with coffee or is that as bad as combining orange juice with milk? raspberry smoothies usually aren't offered here but coffee goes very well with raspberry?
Just add a whole ton of sugar. Basically the same effect as caffeine.

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2016, 06:45:51 PM »
Coffee goes well with raspberry, almond, cinnamon, cardamon, and very nicely with orange. Orange with strong black coffee and chocolate.....mmmm!

Ahh, you're really making me wish the smoothie trucks would have some of these ingredients for flavour!! As far as I can tell, the options are all fruit chunks + ice, end of. But I bet I could bring some form of chocolate along with me and do a chocolate orange one some day, maybe in winter... I had a banana/papaya/mango one today that, as I remembered to think about it, tasted like it would be pretty amazing with coffee.

Just add a whole ton of sugar. Basically the same effect as caffeine.

My poor beaten-down body is not sufficiently responsive to that! I'd practically have to drink hummingbird nectar, and even then...
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »
*finishes grave-digging*
Hello!
I was looking to bake kanelbullar, and couldn't find one by quick-searching the thread :/ fortunately, a more thorough search got me Viiskielinenkantele's (finnish) cinnamon rolls.
So since I had already decided to revive the trhead but didn't have a recipe to ask for, I figured I might as well take the time to find all the recipes and link them here for easy(er) reference.
ThisCat / mods feel free to copy/link the list in the first post if you think it's useful

Pastries, desserts and sweet snacks
Solovei's Apple Pie (it's a family tradition)
OrigamiOwl's Chocolate self-saucing pudding
Sunflower's Toaster Pancakes
Sunflower's Coconut Shortbread Cookies
Sunflower's Spiced Cranberry-Orange Zingers (they're cookies/biscuits)
OrigamiOwl's Version of Mikkel's Cookies (honey, cranberry and macanamia biscuits)
Sunflower's Buttercup Squash Muffins with Grated Apple[/ur]
Nimphy's [url=https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=118.msg16478#msg16478]Albanian Bakllava
(similar to the Turkish baklava)
Gwenno's Almond Cake with Custard Glaze (it's gluten-free!)
Sunflower's Lemon Moon, in Danish Citronmåne or Danish cop's delight
Sunflower's more authentic Lemon Moon,  a traditional recipe translated by Ole the Inventor
Viiskielinenkantele's Hildegard von Bingen Nerve Cookies
Aprillen's Rosemary Cookies (tested by me and approved at meetups)
Viiskielinenkantele's Pikkupullat ja Korvapuustit (make small buns and cinnamon rolls / kanelbullar with this recipe)
Aprillen's Kryddpepparkakor (Spicy Gingerbread Cookies)
Viiskielinenkantele's Dampfnudeln with Vanilla Sauce (family recipe for a traditional sweet pasrty with a salty crust)
OrigamiOwl's Honey and Apple Self-Saucing Pudding
Gwenno's Valmuefrø Kage (Danish Poppy Seed Cake)
Divra's Chokladbollar (Swedish no-bake Chocolate Balls)
Aprillen's Chokladbollar Variation (based on Divra's, for a more grown-up palate)
Mélusine's Zimtsterne / Cinnamon Stars (tested and much approved at meetups)
Yuuago's Vintage Canadian Butter Tarts
Yuuago's Lemon Loaf
Helia's Vaniljenkranse (Danish butter biscuit)
Hhheresy's Holliday Rollout Cookies (the kind that people ice fancy designs on)
Fauna's New Comfort Food (It's not new anymore. Also it has exactly 2 ingredients)
Wavewright62's Cappuccino Non-Dairy Ice-Cream
      External links:
Sunflower shares a New Mexican Apple Pie (with chili peppers and pine nuts)
Rae shares how to make Apple Cider Caramels
Rae shares Walnut Cookies
One more from Rae, this time Honey Coriander Shortbread
Tripwires shares a Lavender Shortbread Cookie recipe

Main courses and the like
ThisCat's Freestyle Cauliflower and Sausages
Faust's Easy rice/cheese/vegetables meal (is really easy)
Bobrilha's Borsch (is a heirloom recipe)
Kjeks' Pumpkin Soup (re-written by Sunflower just below, for readability)
Sunflower's CURRIED Pumpkin soup
Pessi's Mushroom Pot
Sunflower shares a Curried Spinash-Pea Soup (from Moosewood vegetarian restaurant)
Sunflower shares The Commodore's Kale
Sunflower (again) for a Golden Cheese Soup à la Moosewood
Hushpiper's Ridiculously Easy Chicken Korma
Sunflower's Split Pea Soup / Ärtsoppa
Sunflower's Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Gratin
Sunflower's Thai Chicken, Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry (it's in the same post as the Cauliflower gratin, just scroll down a bit)
OrigamiOwl's Improvised Beef Pasties and Pies (just the ingredients; the method is somewhat discussed below)
Laowai's Scallion Pancakes
Aprillen's Nettle Soup
Divra's Fläskpannkaka (Pork Pancake)
Solokov's Turkey Stroganoff (a family recipe)
Solokov's Bonus Homemade Noodles (scroll down)
Solovei's Marinated Mushrooms
Urbicande's Mushroom Rice (an easy one)
Luth Nightbreeze's Lamb Recipe (looks delicious)
PaperArtillery's Two-Pot Norwegian Sausage Something
      External links:
Bobrilha's very official link for Kalakukko (you can get it in several/all EU languages by changing the "EN" at the end of the address to something else)
Ana Nymus shows us Hungarian Soup (she recommends adding a poached egg in the end)
Starfallz shares some Pea Soup (if you're vegetarian it works fine using water instead of broth)

Snacks, Condiments and Drinks (yes, they're all in the same group; there's few of them)
Rollo's Instant Breadsticks
FrogEater explains How to Make Mayonnaise
Fenris' Lazy Way of Making Mead
Solokov's mom's Tofu Sour Cream (goes well with the Stroganoff described in the same post)
Viiskielinenkantele's Elderflower Syrup (also the "hugo" summer drink that uses it)
Tap offers a Vegan Hot Cocoa Recipe (with an option to make it fancy!)

External links:
Sunflower links to the Veterinarian's Midnight Snack (a Danish open sandwich)
Wonkle shares some Harry Potter-Themed Cocktails

Guides, simple "how to deal with X" tips and miscellaneous
Solovei's favorite Mixture for curing salmon
Kjeks shares how to handle winter squashes and pumpkins
OrigamiOwl's Easy way to deal with Pumpkin (by mashing it)
Potatobunny's Guide to Stir-Frying
Faust's meatball-omelette-roll adventure (or how you can make a decent meal by improvising and adding stuff)
Sunflower's Basics of making cheese
Rae shares a blog about Gerdening in Nordic Countries (here, Sweden)
Sunflower the ever-cooking devised a recipe for Apple Toddy (a cough syrup that tastes good)
Aprillen shares one of the many conversion helpers you can find online
Laufey gives some tips on traditional Icelandic food
Viiskielinenkantele shows us Schwäbishes Habermus (it's an ancient breakfast food with obscure ingredients, that's why I didn't put it in the Sweet category)
RandomTexanReader's Texan Delight (an easy main course, sadly 2 ingredients are missing - one presumably tomato soup and one unknown)
Olga Veresk shows us Several Different Jams (I put it with the guides because there's 5 of them!)
Olga Veresk shares Two Links: one for nice-looking foods, and one for illustrated recipes
Róisín indicates Some Fruits That Pair Well With Coffee

I only did until page 7 for now, there's quite many recipes!
edited to add page 8 9 10 11
FINALLY DONE! (until almost the end of page 14, but there's no other recipes at the moment)
page11 edit: The lists are getting pretty long now, maybe I should put spoilers instead of titles...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:20:40 PM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »
On the topic of cinnamon rolls, do use whey rather than milk! Most recipes will say milk, but whey is really the absolute best when baking any type of bread and pastry, and will make a world of a difference.

Whey is super easy to make - pop an unopened milk carton in the dishwasher and the warm water will separate it for you.  ;D And if you're feeling ambitious, you can also squeeze cheap, easy and delicious instant cheese out of the other stuff. It's great with some berry jam.

EDIT: You might want to make sure that the milk jug won't melt first.. lol... I'd recommend paper cartons.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
*finishes grave-digging*

Excellent idea! (is also glad for the thread necromancy, I really loved trying out all these cool recipes from all over the world!). Thanks for putting that all together  ;D

I'll go ahead and add it to the first post :)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »
Two-pot (kind of) Norwegian sausage...something

This is my horrific trainwreck of a transcription of a recipe I just kind of have in my head (it's a family thing from the clusterf#*@ that is my mother's side, so it's got to be some sort of mixture of Irish, Russian Jewish, German, and Norwegian O_o).  Pretty easy and quick to make with simple (if "cheater") ingredients and is very filling and hearty for cold nights.

For hardcore mode, replace the gravy and make authentic Norwegian sauce (most are familiar with it with meatballs, and it's essentially heated butter, flour, onions, and brown cheese that can be hard to find especially in the United States) and replace the potato flakes with real mashed potatoes.  Because I officially suck at explaining my process in the kitchen, if you have any questions, do ask.

Sorry for the English system measurements. I prefer Metric but live in the United States and that's just how cooking tends to work.

Spoiler: show
1 pkg, probably a pound of precooked (bought that way, or you've already cooked it) sausage (or however much, really, depends on how many you're feeding, so scale everything up accordingly)
2 cups water
parsley
basil
onion and green pepper, sliced not chopped. (the onion is a primary flavor. amount to taste)
black pepper
1 packet of brown gravy mix that requires one cup of water
enough potato flakes for 1 cup of water, or the equivalent of real mashed potatoes
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch (make slurry in a little bit of cold water and add later)
milk to taste (or as much as potato flake instructions require)
butter to taste (or as much as potato flake instructions require)
salt to taste (or as much as potato flake instructions require)
IF YOU CAN GET IT thinly sliced brown Norway cheese, or cream cheese for a substitute if need be
crumbled bacon (if you're not kosher)

add gravy mix to the 2 cups of water, mix according to packet directions (ignore the fact that it's too much water)
once it is done and boiling add sausage and seasonings (really hard to overseason)
bring just to boil again until gravy mix is properly mixed in and then pour into second pan with potato flakes

stir to make potato flakes...not flakes, with milk and butter as required

add the cheese if you have it

keep hot and add cornstarch slurry til thick, cook until heated through all ingredients

serve over toasted flatbread or wheat toast (EDIT: or apparently pierogi/varernyky, thanks to drunk roommate) and garnish with more parsley (for looks) and crumbled bacon
goes well with a side of steamed vegetables (pref. carrots and such, avoid broccoli or cauliflower for texture)

pairs well with spiced liqueur or neutral spirits.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:34:49 AM by PaperArtillery »
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
I've found my new comfort food.

1 Banana
2 egg yolks
Mash banana and whisk in bowl with egg yolks
Nom on it.
This is actually pancake batter so I guess you could fry it, but lol it's actually better if you don't.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »

1 Banana
2 egg yolks
Nom on it.
This is actually pancake batter so I guess you could fry it, but lol it's actually better if you don't.

This sounds disgusting so I must try it. Thanks for sharing!

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
This sounds disgusting so I must try it. Thanks for sharing!
Whaaat, but it's basically just cookie dough without the flour? :D Oh well, enjoy~

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

1 Banana
2 egg yolks
Nom on it.

This sounds really odd but also interesting. Not sure I could handle trying it at the moment but will go to the grocery later today and get a bunch of bananas. FOR SCIENCE
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Cappuccino Non-dairy 'Ice cream'
Posted in reference to a conversation in the comments with @Euodiachloris - this was originally from Sara Finkel's "Classic Kosher Cooking" cookbook (which is very highly recommended).  This was presented as a pareve chocolate ice cream (meaning it could be served with either dairy meals or meat meals), but it also suits the lactose intolerance of my husband and daughter.  Sara gives many lovely variations in the book, but I submit the cappuccino variant I came up with.  It's not rich, it's delightfully light and fluffy.
NB I have productive backyard chooks and do not worry about consumption of raw eggs.
NB The original recipe was in imperial measure, but really because it's so imprecise (due to variable egg sizes) you can make it work using metric measuring utensils as well.
Original:
Beat together until frothy: 6 large egg whites (7 smaller ones) & a pinch of salt;
Add gradually and beat until stiff: 3/4c sugar (I use sugar that I keep used vanilla pods and cinnamon sticks in);
In separate bowl, beat until light: the 6 (7) egg yolks;
Add and stir until combined:  scant 1/2c oil, 1/4c water, 1/2t vanilla, 4T cocoa;
Fold white and dark mixtures together and freeze in covered container(s).  Mix well! as the dark tends to fall out of solution, although if it's not really mixed together that well you do get a cookies'n'cream sort of vibe.
Sara says this makes 1 quart, but maybe my eggs are really large because I get about 2 quarts/scant litres from this.

Cappuccino variant:
Omit cocoa.  Dissolve 3T instant coffee in the 1/4c water, or use 1/4c very strong coffee in place of the water.  Add lashings of ground cinnamon.  Can add some cocoa or grated dark chocolate back in if you like.

Edit:  Whoopsie, now I remember the whole point of the conversation was riffing on a piparkook (gingerbread) variant.  Here's what I came up with:
Omit cocoa;
Replace water with strong coffee;
Spices a-go-go - 1t cinnamon, 1t cardamom, 1/2t ground cloves, 1/2t+ ground ginger, 1/4t white pepper (can use black);
2t molasses;
2T golden syrup;
Can substitute a darker sugar for the white sugar - I used 1/2c grated palm sugar & 1/4c vanilla sugar
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:05:52 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

P__

« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
Bump just to indicate that all recipes are now on the list (here).
Could a mod please update the 1st post?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

XanaduTrigger

• Not even gonna try
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
For any of you who don't know. On page 702 of SSSS Minna told us that she had been suffering from pollen allergies and a Minnion going by the name of PeachBlossomTea had the idea of consuming honey from a local apiary to adjust to the season. Many others boiled the honey and added spices to make a tea of sorts. I thought I could make it a little more enjoyable and had the idea of creating recipes for various dishes including the natural gold. Please Vote!
Fluent- :england: :spain: :canada:
Loathing Those who do speak it- :sweden: :norway: :iceland: :finland: :netherlands: :japan: :portugal:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm glad you included that last option, otherwise I would be sitting here in a paralysis of indecision up to the close of your poll.

The Medieval indifference to separating sweet and savory has always appealed to me. It makes finding the proper balance between the honey and the other flavours a challenge that is absent from most of the other cooking I've ever done.

I'm looking forward to your results!

XanaduTrigger

• Not even gonna try
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
I'm glad you included that last option, otherwise I would be sitting here in a paralysis of indecision up to the close of your poll.

The Medieval indifference to separating sweet and savory has always appealed to me. It makes finding the proper balance between the honey and the other flavours a challenge that is absent from most of the other cooking I've ever done.

I'm looking forward to your results!

Glad someone agrees with me! I've found that the two are either the best or the absolute worst combination of flavors for the human palette.
Fluent- :england: :spain: :canada:
Loathing Those who do speak it- :sweden: :norway: :iceland: :finland: :netherlands: :japan: :portugal: