Author Topic: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)  (Read 73438 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »
Cookie recipes would be great. I will start baking in a week, I hope, and I always like to try out new sorts.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »
Coconut Shortbread Cookies
Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, March 2004
Makes about 30       

2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut* (about 2 ounces)
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ½ tsp. vanilla and ½ tsp. coconut extract, if you have it)
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread coconut on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until coconut is light golden, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Cool completely.

Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; stir lightly with a fork or whisk till blended.

Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add the flavoring extracts. Beat in flour mixture in 2 additions. Stir in toasted coconut. Gather dough together; shape it into a tube about 2 inches thick.  Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Soften slightly at room temperature before slicing.)

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper [although I find neither parchment nor greasing is necessary]. Slice the dough tube on a lightly floured surface with a sharp knife, making slices about ¼ inch thick. Lay out the slices in staggered rows on the prepared sheets.  If the ends of the tube are uneven, mold them together and reroll for rounder slices.

Bake cookies until light golden, about 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. (Can be made ahead. Store airtight at room temperature up to 1 week.)

* Unsweetened coconut is available at natural foods stores, Indian markets, and some supermarkets.
     Note from Stannie:  I halved the recipe size (it originally called for 3 sticks of butter and made about 75 cookies). I also upped the amount of coconut, which I love, added the baking powder to make them crisper, and changed the method from roll-and-cut-out to the easier slice-and-bake.

Original recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Shortbread-Cookies-109280
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
Winter times is porridge time, and nothing says "christmas right around the corner" like a bowl of rice porridge with cinnamon and raisins..

Not exactly the healthiest dish but it fills the stomach.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2014, 03:30:13 AM »
Two of my favorite dinner recipes.  The first is a hearty, wintry dish that's SSSS-friendly.  The second.... isn't.  But it's super-good.

Roasted Cauliflower & Leek Gratin
Serves 4-6 as a main course, 8 as a side dish  [though I usually make a half-portion, e.g. just one cauliflower, 1 cup milk, etc.  Also, I love leeks, so I often use 3 rather than 2.]
Courtesy of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Roasting the leeks and cauliflower (which you can do well ahead) brings out deeper flavor and a crisp-around-the edges texture.  Serve as a side dish with roasted meat, or as a main course with salad and bread.

Roasted vegetables
2 small heads cauliflower, about 3 pounds untrimmed
4 tablespoons olive oil
-- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced [or 1-2 tsp. garlic paste]
2 large leeks

Gratin
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 cup (generous) grated Parmesan, gruyere or Manchego cheese
-- Kosher salt and white or black pepper
1 teaspoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
1 to 2 ounces ham, cut into baton shapes [optional -- I never use it]
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)

To make the roasted vegetables: Preheat the oven to 400°.

Cut the cauliflower into florets that are 1 1/2 inches wide. In a large bowl, toss the florets with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and spread out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender with just a bit of bite and browned, 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic after 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the coarse dark tops of the leek and cut lengthwise. Wash thoroughly, then cut each half into 2-inch lengths, discarding any more dark green ends and checking for hidden dirt.

Separate the layers and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and some salt, then spread out on another large rimmed baking sheet and roast until crispy in some parts and thoroughly soft throughout, about 15 minutes. (You can roast the vegetables several hours ahead and refrigerate before completing the dish.)

To make the gratin: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes, taking care that it doesn't brown. Whisk in the milk until smooth, then bring to a simmer. Maintain the heat so it's bubbling gently; stir often until the sauce thickens and the flour cooks, about 15 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan and stir until just melted. Remove from the heat and season well with salt and pepper, then stir in the mustard.

When the vegetables are done, reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Toss the vegetables with the ham, if using, in a 13- by 9-inch baking pan, such as a Pyrex. Pour the sauce evenly over the vegetables. Combine the breadcrumbs (if using) with the remaining cheese and sprinkle over the top.

Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, 20 minutes. If you like, run the gratin briefly under the broiler to brown well. Serve warm.

Per main-course serving: 246 calories, 9 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 17 g fat (6 g saturated), 21 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.

The next recipe is a meal for one, an easy and relatively quick way to recreate the ambrosial flavors of Thai food at home.  The secret ingredient is Thai green curry paste, which contains hard-to-find seasonings such as galangal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves. 

Note:  I have a timid palate, so I entirely omit the hot sauce and drop the amount of curry paste to 1 Tbsp.  Someone like JoB would probably double both seasonings!

Thai chicken, sweet potato and spinach curry
From the Telegraph newspaper.

2 chicken thigh filets, skin removed
1 tbsp cooking oil
½ onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped [or 1 tsp. garlic puree]
2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
200ml (7fl oz) chicken stock or water
200ml (7fl oz) coconut milk [light coconut milk works fine and is somewhat less fatty]
300g (10½oz) sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks [cooked Kabocha squash also works]
1 tsp Tabasco, chilli sauce or hot sauce (or to taste) 
½ tbsp soft light-brown sugar
100g (3½oz) spinach, washed, tough stalks removed  [bok choy or other Asian greens also work]
½ tbsp fish sauce
Juice of ½ lime
Small handful of cilantro, roughly chopped

Cut the chicken into chunks and season. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and add the onion and chicken. You just want to get a little color on the meat and start it cooking. Add the garlic and the curry paste and cook for a further two minutes.

Add the stock or water, coconut cream, sweet potato, hot sauce and sugar. Bring to just under the boil then turn down the heat to simmer for 15 minutes. In this time the potato should become completely soft and the chicken chunks cooked through. You can press some of the potato chunks with the back of a wooden spoon if you want to thicken the mixture a little.

Add all the spinach, fish sauce and lime, stir and heat through. Taste – you may want a little more hot sauce, fish sauce, sugar or lime, depending on your taste. Scatter with the chopped cilantro and ladle over steamed rice.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:42:14 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:55 AM »
Not a recipe post :( but I made a huge batch of pasties today! They'd totally still exist in SSSS :3

Also, at this time of year the supermarkets sell these amazing cranberry and pistachio shortbread biscuits and they are sooooooo moooooooorish I could eat them forever.
I really want to find a recipe and try making some in the holidays :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2014, 04:53:39 AM »
Not a recipe post :( but I made a huge batch of pasties today! They'd totally still exist in SSSS :3

Also, at this time of year the supermarkets sell these amazing cranberry and pistachio shortbread biscuits and they are sooooooo moooooooorish I could eat them forever.
I really want to find a recipe and try making some in the holidays :)

Will you share the pasty recipe?

Also, I'm good at reverse-engineering recipes.  If you can't find *that specific* cran-pistachio shortbread recipe online, let me know the ingredients listed on the package and its general taste/texture (e.g. is it crispy like an American-style chocolate chip cookie or soft and crumbly like classic Scottish shortbread?) and I bet I could come up with something similar. 

The simplest shortbread is just flour, butter, and sugar, plus any flavorings.  Cookie recipe only start getting complicated when you add in eggs, baking powder, non-standard flours and sweeteners, etc.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
Will you share the pasty recipe?

Also, I'm good at reverse-engineering recipes.  If you can't find *that specific* cran-pistachio shortbread recipe online, let me know the ingredients listed on the package and its general taste/texture (e.g. is it crispy like an American-style chocolate chip cookie or soft and crumbly like classic Scottish shortbread?) and I bet I could come up with something similar. 

The simplest shortbread is just flour, butter, and sugar, plus any flavorings.  Cookie recipe only start getting complicated when you add in eggs, baking powder, non-standard flours and sweeteners, etc.
I sorta.... Made up the pasties...but the ingredients were:
1kg beef mince
2 onions
2 garlic cloves
2 potatoes
3 carrots
2 cups? (Two near-empty packets) Frozen peas
2 cups? (A bowl) beef stock
1 tin of tomatoes
Extra water because it tried to catch on fire
Sooooo much tomato and Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
One million cups of corn flour. (Kidding...I don't actually know how much... Just enough to thicken it up a little)
1 pack of crusty frozen short crust pastry from the depths of the freezer

Makes approx 24 pasties and 12 small pies (maybe more if people didn't keep EATING the filling while I was filling the pastry ;______;) :P

The biscuits are thick (about 1.5-2cm high) and crumbly (the top is like a choppy sea but the lower half is solid) but melt in your mouth... I'll check out the packet tomorrow :3
...or maybe in a minute ;P

Edit: just checked the pantry. They have all been eaten x_______x
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:04:29 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
I sorta.... Made up the pasties...but the ingredients were:
1kg beef mince
2 onions
2 garlic cloves
2 potatoes
3 carrots
2 cups? (Two near-empty packets) Frozen peas
2 cups? (A bowl) beef stock
1 tin of tomatoes
Extra water because it tried to catch on fire
Sooooo much tomato and Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
One million cups of corn flour. (Kidding...I don't actually know how much... Just enough to thicken it up a little)
1 pack of crusty frozen short crust pastry from the depths of the freezer

Makes approx 24 pasties and 12 small pies (maybe more if people didn't keep EATING the filling while I was filling the pastry ;______;) :P

Ooh, that sounds tasty.  And I like your spirit of improvisation -- that's how some of my best dishes came about.

Does "beef mince" = "ground beef/hamburger meat" here in the U.S.?
"Corn flour" = that super-fine, white powder we call "cornstarch" and use to thicken sauces?  Or is it more like "cornmeal," which is yellow, grittier than flour and we use to make mush, cornbread, etc.?

Method:
I'm assuming you brown and crumble the meat first, adding the diced onion and garlic once it's thrown off enough fat to fry the vegs in.  Once the onions start to soften, add the potatoes and carrots (peeled and chopped) and fry gently till all the vegs are soft.  Then add the frozen peas, tomatoes, broth, etc., and cook until it's gooey and the flavors have melded.  (Thicken with cornflour as needed.)
Then... scoop filling into hand-sized circles of pastry?  Fold in half and bake? 

I look forward to trying these.  But after Thanksgiving, because the traditional American menu is set for at least the next 48 hours.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Ooh, that sounds tasty.  And I like your spirit of improvisation -- that's how some of my best dishes came about.

Does "beef mince" = "ground beef/hamburger meat" here in the U.S.?
"Corn flour" = that super-fine, white powder we call "cornstarch" and use to thicken sauces?  Or is it more like "cornmeal," which is yellow, grittier than flour and we use to make mush, cornbread, etc.?

Method:
I'm assuming you brown and crumble the meat first, adding the diced onion and garlic once it's thrown off enough fat to fry the vegs in.  Once the onions start to soften, add the potatoes and carrots (peeled and chopped) and fry gently till all the vegs are soft.  Then add the frozen peas, tomatoes, broth, etc., and cook until it's gooey and the flavors have melded.  (Thicken with cornflour as needed.)
Then... scoop filling into hand-sized circles of pastry?  Fold in half and bake? 

I look forward to trying these.  But after Thanksgiving, because the traditional American menu is set for at least the next 48 hours.
Yup, it's minced beef, and the fine corn flour :)
I actually browned the onions first, then added the beef and garlic.... Not sure what you mean by the fat though? (It's not store-bought beef)

I prefer triangle-shaped (with twisted edges) because there's no left-over pastry :3

Rae

• My grade B buddy
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »
If you like candy making, these apple cider caramels are amazing...  http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/10/apple-cider-caramels-the-book-is-here/. (Scroll way down for the recipe)

Half of them are going to a Thanksgiving celebration - otherwise I will eat them all myself! Pretty easy and fast aside from the time it takes to reduce a quart of cider down to 1/2 cup. Makes a delicious, slightly gooey caramel - gotta put it in the fridge and cool it down before I cut it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
If you like candy making, these apple cider caramels are amazing...  http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/10/apple-cider-caramels-the-book-is-here/. (Scroll way down for the recipe)

Half of them are going to a Thanksgiving celebration - otherwise I will eat them all myself! Pretty easy and fast aside from the time it takes to reduce a quart of cider down to 1/2 cup. Makes a delicious, slightly gooey caramel - gotta put it in the fridge and cool it down before I cut it.

Ohh, you beat me to it -- I LOVE Smitten Kitchen's recipe for apple cider caramels! 
The one change I make to it is substituting salted butter for the unsalted butter-plus-kosher-salt combination. 

Rae

• My grade B buddy
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
Ohh, you beat me to it -- I LOVE Smitten Kitchen's recipe for apple cider caramels! 
The one change I make to it is substituting salted butter for the unsalted butter-plus-kosher-salt combination.

Aren't they amazing? Yeah, I halve the salt and use coarse sea salt and salted butter. I'd like to cook it a little longer to make the caramel a bit firmer, but I'm always too paranoid I'll burn it. This time I skimped and used half and half instead of cream - still worked like a dream.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
I did it - for the first time in forever I tried to cook caramels. My mother never allowed me to try this when I was a child because she was afraid I would burn it and myself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't buy the sort of apple cider described in the recipe anywhere, so I substituted it with 1/2 unfiltered apple juice and 1/2 alcoholic cider (3,5%). I didn't have corse sea salt either and used normal salt, but I'm afraid I took too much (1+1/4 teaspoon) because what I ate from the pot tasted really salty (but so good! Still, my mother was right, I burned my tongue badly.  :P ) I wonder if there is a difference between american and european teaspoons?

Now I'm impatiently waiting for the mixture to cool down because I'm not really sure it will become firm at all. Well, if it doesn't I'll serve it with yogurt as a dessert.  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fenris

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Fresh off of making another batch of mead, and I figured I could post the recipe I've used (although, the one I made today was an incredibly lazy variant, since I want to have it done by mid-january):

Lazy Way of Making Mead
Ingredients:
- 4 kg honey
- 16 liters of water
- 1 packet of fortified wine yeast (or regular wine yeast for a lower ABV)
- Sugar (preferably brown sugar).

Heat up the honey while in their glass bottles (by lightly heating up water around it). Boil sixteen liters of water and put them in a fermentor (20-25 liters volume). Pour all of the honey into the fermentor, and stir well. Put the yeast and a spoonful of sugar in some warm water (30-35 degrees celcius). Cool both down until both are room temperature, and mix the yeast in with the honey. Put airlock over fermentor and let it yeast for a period of 30-90 days (minimum thirty, and never do it if the airlock spends less than a minute between each bubble/indicator the fermentation process is still ongoing).

Once the mead's fermenting process is done, add in a dash of hops, stir it then bottle it. You can also add other tastes to the mead at this point by mixing in juice from fruit, hops, cloves, etc. From my experience, pear juice works very well with mead.

Rae

• My grade B buddy
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
I did it - for the first time in forever I tried to cook caramels. My mother never allowed me to try this when I was a child because she was afraid I would burn it and myself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't buy the sort of apple cider described in the recipe anywhere, so I substituted it with 1/2 unfiltered apple juice and 1/2 alcoholic cider (3,5%). I didn't have corse sea salt either and used normal salt, but I'm afraid I took too much (1+1/4 teaspoon) because what I ate from the pot tasted really salty (but so good! Still, my mother was right, I burned my tongue badly.  :P ) I wonder if there is a difference between american and european teaspoons?

Now I'm impatiently waiting for the mixture to cool down because I'm not really sure it will become firm at all. Well, if it doesn't I'll serve it with yogurt as a dessert.  ;)

Hooray for giving it a try! I like the sound of your juice/hard cider combination, and I think smitten kitchen's recipe is a bit high in salt overall - I only used the full 2 tsp the first time I made them. Finer salt is going to have a more distributed salty effect, rather than the bursts of salt crunch with kosher or coarse sea salt (I have never seen the flake salt listed in the recipe in stores, but sk's in NYC if I recall correctly, so fancy ingredients abound). If you give it a go again, maybe try 3/4 tsp? My american tsp says it is 4.93 mL for comparison.

Your poor tongue! Tasting hot sugar syrups is such a no-no, lol! I grew up making peanut brittle with my dad, and he required us to clear the kitchen of pets, kids and superfluous adults when he went to pour the brittle onto the cooling pans. Almost guaranteed 2nd degree burns if you get any on you, ouch.

I had to put my caramels in the refrigerator to get it hard enough to cut. And I kept my leftover caramels in the fridge and they've still melded together. Apple cider caramel sauce sounds great too though...hmmm :)