Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)  (Read 10107 times)

R.M.S.N.P

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Person by day, asleep by night.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/that idiot/ Anything else you feel like using
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »
Name: Oliver Harwood
Nationality: British (Scottish and English ancestors)
Languages: English, Scots Gaelic (can understand the other Gaelic languages with some difficulty), Icelandic (speaks slowly with heavy accent),
Intelligence: Very good visual memory and perception, but not good academically unless there's a direct practical application, is contemptuous of purely academic study.
Physical Condition:  extremely rugged, is good at ignoring pain and cold to the point that it's a bit dangerous. Very good upper body strength due to longbow training from a young age, but this has damaged the bone structure slightly, generally strong overall from climbing.
Magical Abilities: None
Immunity: Yes
Training: General survival and tracking skills, good with most forms of ranged weapons, including bows and thrown (ammunition is difficult to manufacture on Barra and the surrounding isles). Knows a bit about sailing, being from the isles, about enough to sail without someone more qualified helping him.
Equipment: Full strength yew Longbow (silent and easy to make ammunition, shoots faster than a crossbow), Old hunting shotgun, Large backpack full of survival gear inherited, manufactured or looted from the silent world (Rollmat, blankets (doesn't like sleeping bags as they're hard to get out of in emergency, wrapped up like a sausage roll for a troll), camping hammock, tarpaulin, firestriker, airtight box of tinder (silver birch bark and king Alfred's cakes fungus), hand crank dynamo and wires, electric lamp, headtorch, first aid kit and so on ), Multitool, knife, axe. Believes that no one has ever been killed by being too prepared, and that he's not going to live long enough to care enough about any damage to his spine for carrying too much.
Appearance: Short dark brown hair (somewhere between horse shit and oak bark in colour). Hazel eyes. Tends to shave with a knife, so normally has substantial stubble.
Personality: Confident and enthusiastic but still quite reasonable. Prefers honesty and direct solutions, but isn't totally tactless. Doesn't get stressed or anxious easily, so can be a bit insensitive to others who are. Sense of preservation is possibly a little lacking.
History: Trained from the age of 6, but still had a balanced childhood and got on well with other children. Only formal education was two years of reading, writing and arithmetic. Has picked up knowledge of religion (Celtic and Anglo-Saxon paganism) and some history/geography from his comrades, everything else was learned by doing.

Micellaneous:
Height: 192 cm (~6ft 2in)
Left handed
Asexual but not aromantic
Plays the bagpipes and the accordion to an good standard, sings a lot.

Portrait coming soon when I finish drawing it or get artbreeder to stop playing up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:10:34 PM by R.M.S.N.P »
:gb:-Native speaker
:fr:-conversational (once upon a time (2 years ago))
:fi:-basics
old english (wessex)-some
:ru:-can swear

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »
@Lallicat Hello! Since this is your RP I just wanna say, please don't be intimidated by a large amount of posts that was sent in your absence, it's always like this at the start and not much has actually happened <3

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
Can I just say I love reading your game as it unfolds :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
Can I just say I love reading your game as it unfolds :)

Just wait until it inevitably derails and we set France on fire.
Gotta top the previous RPs somehow.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »
Oh yes, I haven't read the previous ones (I'm sure they are worth it but you know, life and all) but I can already smell the shenanigans on the wind!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »
@Lallicat you asked about the recharge time of the engines. 1,5 hours seems like... like there have been extreme developments in either ship engines or photovoltaics. Or both. Which is fully possible, considering how the Cattank apparently ran on air??

1,5 hours in proper sun could be time when the ship can be moved some after it's been completely emptied, but full charging doesn't seem reasonable. On the other hand, when the weather is sunny (i.e. not during the night!) the solar panels keep recharging all the time, so it's not very likely to run completely empty if they are paying attention to it.

Also the rate at which the solar panels give electricity depends a lot on the weather but also the time of day and the position of the panels towards the sun. I guess we can assume the panels can be moved somewhat, but as they need to still be attached to the ship after a storm, they probably aren't mounted on fully rotating stands. So, the recharging time may vary a lot. Just so you know this might become an issue at some point.

(I hope nobody minds me barging in. I'm an engineer, I can't help it. I even majored in environmental and energy technology, although sadly we didn't have anything about propelling ships by solar panel driven electrical engine using post-apocalyptic improved technology).

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
@Lallicat you asked about the recharge time of the engines. 1,5 hours seems like... like there have been extreme developments in either ship engines or photovoltaics. Or both. Which is fully possible, considering how the Cattank apparently ran on air??

1,5 hours in proper sun could be time when the ship can be moved some after it's been completely emptied, but full charging doesn't seem reasonable. On the other hand, when the weather is sunny (i.e. not during the night!) the solar panels keep recharging all the time, so it's not very likely to run completely empty if they are paying attention to it.

Also the rate at which the solar panels give electricity depends a lot on the weather but also the time of day and the position of the panels towards the sun. I guess we can assume the panels can be moved somewhat, but as they need to still be attached to the ship after a storm, they probably aren't mounted on fully rotating stands. So, the recharging time may vary a lot. Just so you know this might become an issue at some point.

(I hope nobody minds me barging in. I'm an engineer, I can't help it. I even majored in environmental and energy technology, although sadly we didn't have anything about propelling ships by solar panel driven electrical engine using post-apocalyptic improved technology).

Your help is always appreciated \o/ Thank you very much <3 <3 <3

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
No absolutely! I know absolutely nothing about ships or solar panels so I appreciate your input a lot! I kinda just threw a random number in there and hoped it landed somewhere in the ballpark.  :'D What do you think would be a more reasonable number?
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 04:30:06 AM »
considering how the Cattank apparently ran on air??
The Cattank was spec'd to have its batteries recharged by some sort of all-fuel engine and generator. The kinds of fuel it was said to accept were all combustible liquids, though, so it's probably not a Stirling Engine.

1,5 hours in proper sun could be time when the ship can be moved some after it's been completely emptied, but full charging doesn't seem reasonable.
Recent research results in battery technology have been interpreted as promising e-cars that can be 80% charged within 15 minutes, but that's with the typical total capacity of e-car batteries, which still falls way short of a large-ish gasoline reservoir; I'm not entirely sure, but I think that those 80% have been "translated" to a reach of 100 km or so.

Which is to say, given powerful enough a source of electricity to recharge the batteries with and short enough a reach with "a full load", you can do such a "full load" faster than you can manually connect-and-disconnect-again the cable. ;)

Also the rate at which the solar panels give electricity depends a lot on the weather but also the time of day and the position of the panels towards the sun.
Total solar irradiation on the planet surface, annual average and measured on a flat surface, is about 100 W/m² in the Nordics and 200 W/m² around the Mediterranean. Tilted panels and catching the hours of full summer sun gets you closer to the DNI, but short of magic, I see no way to sustainably get more than 1 kW/m² of actual battery charge out of a collector.

Of course, if your "collector" were something that you can let spread on the water surface like an oil slick, and scoop back up and put into a small tank when you're done, getting a heckuva surface would be a nonproblem ...

... anyway, how strong do you want your ship engines to be, compared to the prototype coal carrier with its 2400 kWh battery capacity ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 01:16:08 PM »
Also Lalli, JoB and Jitter, if you don't feel like figuring this all out I'm also cool with it just being like Astrid randomly popping in and saying "LOW POWER" from time to time, to up the stakes and all that, and ignoring it in between

but then again, if you nerd at cars and batteries and tech as much as I nerd at maps, you might have your job cut out for you...

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
JoB, I think you are overdoing it :) I imagine the players don’t want engimeering specs, just something plausible taking into consideration the presumed advances. Although the floating solar panel would be good!

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
The Cattank was spec'd to have its batteries recharged by some sort of all-fuel engine and generator. The kinds of fuel it was said to accept were all combustible liquids, though, so it's probably not a Stirling Engine.
Recent research results in battery technology have been interpreted as promising e-cars that can be 80% charged within 15 minutes, but that's with the typical total capacity of e-car batteries, which still falls way short of a large-ish gasoline reservoir; I'm not entirely sure, but I think that those 80% have been "translated" to a reach of 100 km or so.

Which is to say, given powerful enough a source of electricity to recharge the batteries with and short enough a reach with "a full load", you can do such a "full load" faster than you can manually connect-and-disconnect-again the cable. ;)
Total solar irradiation on the planet surface, annual average and measured on a flat surface, is about 100 W/m² in the Nordics and 200 W/m² around the Mediterranean. Tilted panels and catching the hours of full summer sun gets you closer to the DNI, but short of magic, I see no way to sustainably get more than 1 kW/m² of actual battery charge out of a collector.

Of course, if your "collector" were something that you can let spread on the water surface like an oil slick, and scoop back up and put into a small tank when you're done, getting a heckuva surface would be a nonproblem ...

... anyway, how strong do you want your ship engines to be, compared to the prototype coal carrier with its 2400 kWh battery capacity ... ?

I'm not sure but this was said in Discord by RM

If we go by the fact that the ship is around corvette size (it's a bit smaller), we can expect a speed of around 30 knots or about 55kmh if we're being optimistic about the engines

So uh, how strong would the engines be for that?

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »
JoB, I think you are overdoing it :) I imagine the players don’t want engimeering specs, just something plausible taking into consideration the presumed advances. Although the floating solar panel would be good!

oh and also this is all good and interesting info to have <3 I don't mind, and I'm sure others don't either.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
Also Lalli, JoB and Jitter, if you don't feel like figuring this all out I'm also cool with it just being like Astrid randomly popping in and saying "LOW POWER" from time to time, to up the stakes and all that, and ignoring it in between
I presume that everyone's going to suspend disbelief to the point that the vessel's reasonably operational, and unless you plan to state in detail how many hours the panels have been charging at every stop (and how much battery charge has been drained by the crew perusing pinball machines etc.), things are unlikely to turn totally unbelievable ...

JoB, I think you are overdoing it :)
Gee, did you read some of my older posts, perchance? :P

I'm not sure but this was said in Discord by RM
If we go by the fact that the ship is around corvette size (it's a bit smaller), we can expect a speed of around 30 knots or about 55kmh if we're being optimistic about the engines
So uh, how strong would the engines be for that?
Erm, so, on par with actual corvettes of our oil-guzzlin' Ancients' military, about twice as fast as even their steamboat-era counterparts ... ? :-[
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
Erm, so, on par with actual corvettes of our oil-guzzlin' Ancients' military, about twice as fast as even their steamboat-era counterparts ... ? :-[

I'm sorry, I don't understand that sentence  :'(