Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)  (Read 9997 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »
Hello! I’m not sure I have time to commit, but sounds mighty interesting. It far (far FAR) too long since I have played any RPGs.

Could you tell a bit more about how it works? I got what you said about describing your actions, but not that of other players. But who writes what happens around the characters? Like can anybody see something interesting, or have a storm descend upon the ship, or say “My-character opens the door, and a huge giant with at least seven heads jumps out”?

And if so, can the next player say “my-character casts fireball and the giant is not a threat any longer”?

We've tried to have DMs before. I was one of them. None of us really have any experience and things tended to go off the rails anyway.
Basically, if you want something big that affects multiple characters happening like a giant, talk it over beforehand (Discord is really good for this). It'd avoid scenarios like you describe.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 11:58:00 AM »
EEEEE this sounds so cool!!!

Can I still join? I don´t have any experience in roleplaying, but I always wanted to do it! I don´t have discord though, is that a problem? If not, is there still a job that needs to be covered by a character?

Should probably grab Discord, it's easier to communicate there than here tbh.
We still need the following:
Captain/person who knows how to make boat go vroom
Military/tough guy
Proper mage (can be comboed with other roles but magic is yay)
Skald type who can read and figure out stuff and generally be The Nerd
Medic (we kinda have one but main role is better than partial, no offense meant @Lallicat)
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
No offence taken Ragnarok! Honestly I wouldn't fully trust Astrid with serious injuries myself, she can be a bit of a klutz!  :'D

And I updated my character profile @Kitty !
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
Hello! I’m not sure I have time to commit, but sounds mighty interesting. It far (far FAR) too long since I have played any RPGs.

Could you tell a bit more about how it works? I got what you said about describing your actions, but not that of other players. But who writes what happens around the characters? Like can anybody see something interesting, or have a storm descend upon the ship, or say “My-character opens the door, and a huge giant with at least seven heads jumps out”?

And if so, can the next player say “my-character casts fireball and the giant is not a threat any longer”?

Hello! I will occasionally put some events, but take that only in the broadest sense. You can declare stuff is happening, but consider the capabilities of your character and make sure no OP stuff happens :> Next player can and totes should react to the big stuff you decided to put in the game tho :>
A forum-based roleplay is written and relies on people working with each other to make a reasonably coherent story. Think of it as creative writing, but you're writing with a group.

EEEEE this sounds so cool!!!

Can I still join? I don´t have any experience in roleplaying, but I always wanted to do it! I don´t have discord though, is that a problem? If not, is there still a job that needs to be covered by a character?

discord would be nice, but i don't think you ABSOLUTELY NEED to have it to join... it would be more convenient tho, if possible. But I will post stuff here from time to time, if some big discussions happen and someone isn't in our server.

anyhow, most important thing is to have fun with other people uwu
I hope you have fun RPing here if you decide to join.

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
Ok, I made a character :))

Name: Dísa Ánnsdóttir
Nationality: :is:
Languages: :is:, a smattering of :fi: and :it:
Intelligence: above average at book-smarts, not the greatest strategist
Physical Condition: good and persistent swimmer, otherwise not exactly physically strong
Magical Abilities: fully trained Icelandic mage, Fylgia is a puffin
Immunity: yes
Occupation: mage, has steered a boat before, but it was significantly smaller than this one. Still, could probably jump in if necessary
Training: Was trained as a military mage, afterwards had some free time without a job and studied a bit on old-world-history (especially was really interested in mythology of the Mediterranean countries), can shoot harpoons
Equipment: a knife and a gun (those are always useful), an extra-harpoon, a fishing-rod, equipment for gutting fish, a guitar, some books on history and mythology from the relevant area (especially ancient Greece and Egypt), lots of paper and paint for drawing runes (or just regular drawing), several dictionaries (Egyptian, Italian, English), warm and light clothes, a rain-coat, cookies to last for at least a month
Appearance: thick, curly, brown hair, about shoulder-length, she usually wears it as two pigtails, one streak that would be in the way is braided separately, dark blue eyes, height about 163cm, a little stout, scar on her left arm
Personality: very nervous but happy to actually really leave home now for the first time, tends to get overly excited, awkward and quiet around new people as she´s not used to not knowing anyone, but when comfortable with her surroundings very bubbly and optimistic, functions best when under stress, so good for dangerous situations. Self-taught musician who brought her guitar less in the hopes of it being useful, and more to have something familiar with her, but would immediately be down for playing music with anyone who wants (maybe a bad idea in the silent world…), loves cats, those usually merely tolerate her
History: She was born into a family of fishermen, which is where her experience with steering smaller boats and harpooning things is from. But fishing was never her goal in life. After it turned out she was a mage when she was 11 she went to Seiður-academy and finished her training there. She wanted to join the military and move somewhere away to see the world, but then never actually did as there was an emergency in her families company. Their largest boat sank due to a beast-attack and every helping hand was needed to make up for the resulting deficit in fish to sell. While her family´s finances were recovering, she signed up for college to keep herself busy, and somehow ended up in the history- and mythology-classes. She had already more than halfway given up on her dream of leaving Iceland when she got the opportunity of joining this expedition.

EDIT: I finished drawing her:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:11:52 AM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
Such a good character <3

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
Thank you! This was really fun to make!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 10:32:53 PM »
Name: Marianne Haugen

Nationality: Norwegian

Languages: Native Norwegian, fluent Icelandic, basic Danish and Swedish, bad Finnish

Intelligence: Bright

Physical Condition: Big, strong, high stamina, lousy sprinter, clumsy as hell except when fighting

Magical Abilities: None known

Immunity: Yes

Training: Certified to pilot any watercraft up to 50 meters. Trained in water rescue and CPR.  Competent with a handgun, rifle, or harpoon.  Proficient at close-quarters combat.

Equipment: A large hunting knife, her diary, a pencil, and the clothes on her back. The expedition will provide everything else, just like in the Navy, right?

Appearance: 6', muscular, slightly plumper than she'd like to be, short brown hair, brown eyes, resting b**** face.  Has been told she could be pretty if she'd just smile more and do SOMETHING with her hair.

Personality: Brave, persistent, sarcastic, and honest to a fault.  Uses her size, fighting skills, and natural bluntness to mask a tender heart and some pretty bad social anxiety. 

History: Was discharged from the Navy nine months ago after a six-year enlistment.  Is totally not sad about the fact that she was encouraged not to re-up.  Did NOT take it personally and sink into depression.  Nope.  Not at all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:13:10 PM by phyrestorm999 »
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 12:23:33 AM »
Spoiler: show
 rises from the dead..... AUGH IT'S ME I'M HERE

Name: Doctor (of Marine Biology) Ludvig Nyman
Nationality: Swedish
Languages: Native Swedish, fluent Icelandic, fluent Danish, fluent Norwegian, can read English
Intelligence: Brilliant scientist, mediocre at human interaction, pretty awful at common sense
Physical Condition: Moderately in shape, but only by accident... he didn't have the funding for a research assistant, so he carried all the heavy equipment himself. Can walk for a long time while talking; "professor won't shut up" syndrome. Can't run for long periods of time. Not ultra buff.
Magical Abilities: None. Has never even witnessed magic, much to his chagrin.
Immunity: Immune.
Training: Trained to be a professional medic. Has a doctorate in marine biology. When he was a kid he tried shooting a rifle once, and hit a target once out of his ten attempts! Yay?
Equipment: Has a first aid kit, but it's small and kind of mediocre. Hopefully the ship has something better... also has a trunk of scientific equipment that he stole from his old university. It's mostly fish catching equipment (rods, spinners), dissection stuff, and various unlabelled chemicals from a long time ago that no one bothered keeping track of.

Keeps a booklet of pictures of his past pet fish close to his heart. Has also brought an assortment of awful sweaters, a raincoat, and a single bowie knife his sister gave him last minute. no he doesn't know how to use it
Appearance: He's so incredibly average, his own advisor kept losing him in crowds over the five years it took him to get his PhD. Ludvig has brown hair, an average build, and is 5'10". He doesn't wear glasses, he keeps his hair short, and he wears a variety of interchangeable sweaters. He could get away with a murder and no one would remember his face.
Personality: Ludvig is a conspiracy theorist at heart. He makes wild connections and gets obsessive over science and other things, which can be... offputting. He's genuinely caring, and means well, but he doesn't quite know when enough is enough. While he listens when he knows he's out of his element- see any military situation- he can be impulsive if he thinks that forbidden knowledge is close.
History: Ludvig was born to an academic, middle class family in Mora. After going to university, he continued on to be an academic, against the wishes of his older sister, who thought it was a waste of his time.

After being a professor for a few years, he quit the department when they stopped funding his "conspiracy theory" experiments, leaving only with his pet goldfish and whatever equipment he could steal. After sleeping on his older sister's couch for a few months, he eventually gave up and got qualified as a professional medic, since no one would hire a PhD in Marine Biology.

Now, freshly minted as a medic, he's ready for whatever the world may give him...especially because it's on a BOAT! With FISH! His true passion! This might work out, after all...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:01:14 AM by amaranthineamusement »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 12:41:40 AM »
Name:  Leo (Anderson) Kalsea

Nationality: :finland:

Languages: Read/speak :finland: ( also but doesn't advertise it read/speak :denmark: :sweden: :iceland: :norway:, Read :england: )

Intelligence: Sharp, but gets too focused on a single subject sometimes.

Physical Condition: Can (and has) choke out an elk.

Magical Abilities: None.

Immunity: Immune.

Occupation: Generalist/Medical first responder for his home village.

Training: Trained in Mora and qualified as a paramedic. Camping, hunting, rudimentary plant ID, cooking and driving. Can work a smithy in a pinch, and has a decent understanding of how firearms work.

Equipment: a "Lars Pattern" rifle that has an unusually heavy receiver and helical magazine. Has no actual markings indicating the manufacturer. Two skinning knives, a heavy "knife" (slab of steel in the approximate shape of a large kukri) a whetstone, a tarp, a bundle of chord, a blanket, small trauma kit, a well read of Frank Herbert's Dune (en), tinder kit, field reloading kit and some supplies for reloads.

Appearance: 5'9" bear of a man with a large beard and shaggy long dark brown hair that he normally keeps tied back in a ponytail.

Personality: Introverted, avid conspiracy theorist in regards to the Lars Rifle Co. thinks the Lars Pattern Rifle wasn' invented, just based off a pre-rash rifle (has based this theory off a photograph he as in an ancient magazine called "soldier of fortune"), bookworm.

History: The son of a former machinist that was ostracized from society after being blamed for a batch out of spec firing pins being delivered to the Danish military under contract for the "Lars Rifle Company". The out of spec firing pins, which lead to malfunctions and soldier deaths while on patrol. Leo's father had actually tried to stop the shipment from going out after bench testing samples and determining them to be to too brittle for operation, but ultimately was given the blame.

He has sworn vengeance on Lars Alecsson, CEO of the Lars Rifle Co. and "inventor" of the Lars Pattern Rifle, the most common rifle in use by the Danish military. He largely blames Lars Alecsson and the social ostracization that was heaped on his father as the driving force as to why he died young. His primary motivation for why he joined this expedition is to find proof that Lars Allecson stole the idea of the "lars pattern rifle" from the past.

Growing up in the frontier of Finland led Leo to be a generalist with a specialization in medicine.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:52:48 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 06:44:06 AM »
So we now have two and a half medics, and both proper ones are conspiracy theorists with very specific focuses.

Noice.

Fuzipeg

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 10:51:38 AM »
Name: Svenny, but answers to "hey you", "whathefu-gerrrrofffoffme", "why're you in my seat?", and general expletives.

Nationality: what's that? Home is on a boring island with lots of walking comfy fluffy things, and the occasional long-legs.

Languages: cat. Understands any language when being pointed to our shouted at, in the sense that he should move now, quickly.

Intelligence: brilliant, should he bother to use it.

Physical Condition: very athletic when wants to be, or a threat is close.

Magical Abilities: can get in and out of tightly locked places. No one knows how. Always dirtier than he looks.

Immunity:  cat

Occupation: Grade B cat. Could have done better, couldn't be bothered.

Training: Grade B cat. Life experience with many fluffy things. Will attack threats, and guard areas.

Equipment: Grading collar, teeth, whatever is around.

Appearance: Lean, mid sized tuxedo dark tabby short-haired cat. Looks like a tuxedo black and grey cat, because the tabby is so covered in oil, and the white is covered in whatever he last laid in. Does wash, but mainly the important bits, as everything else just gets dirty again. Makes sure to never get matted fur, that would ruin the aesthetics. Face usually looks cleanest.

Personality: so laid back he's often horizontal, and upside down, in your clean laundry, making it dirty. If there's a threat, he usually yawns, sits up, then does a God-awful screech; as if he's dying. Once he has attention, he'll just meow half-heartedly while trotting in the direction of the threat. Will climb nearest upright if spooked, including legs of the long-legs. Mostly spends his time napping. Usually so sleepy he nearly face-plants the food while trying to eat. Will sleep anywhere vaguely comfy. Your dashboard, head, back of your chair etc.

History: born to a renowned sire and dam in the breeding program, he didn't know his parents long, and only remembers a slight memory of a smell. Never bothered to try his best in the program, and much preferred to slink off and find something interesting, then somewhere comfy. They usually coincided, or very close to each other. Graduated easily as a Grade B, as any test was completed easily, just wasn't enthusiastic at the effort required for advanced tasks. Such as searching thoroughly. Why don't they let the threats come to them? He knows where they are anyway. Has since spent most of his time on coastal farmland, getting comfy, and occasionally stopping the fluffy things going too close to the water. If they get wet they're no longer warm, if they get eaten then that's a set back.
From the :gb: , and I'm into a lot of things.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
very cool very good :>

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »
I think we have everyone we need.

I'm thinking initial stuff will start off at the docks where our ship is? Everyone can arrive as they please, and the first post (either me or @Kitty) can set up our ship, the basic reason behind this expedition, etc.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »
So we now have two and a half medics, and both proper ones are conspiracy theorists with very specific focuses.

Noice.

I already offered in the discord, I can re-roll if we wanted to diversify the characters a little more.
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man