Author Topic: Riddle time!  (Read 18706 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Riddle time!
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
Yes Jitter, you got it! :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2020, 07:34:17 PM »
Aha whoops this thread was very active in the days I was away
latin riddle: (though I highly doubt this is the answer)
Spoiler: show
a nut

Yes! And there is one more possible answer!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

afreude

« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2020, 07:44:44 PM »
I just joined the forum and immediately was intrigued by this riddles thread!

Is the other answer to the Latin riddle
a riddle?

Here's one:

There exists an infinite hotel with rooms numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 ... and so on forever.  All of the rooms are occupied.  An infinite tour bus arrives with another [countably] infinitely many guests.  Can the hotel accommodate them?  How?

(I did read through the whole thread to see the riddles, and I see that there is at least one member who probably already knows the answer to this.)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »
I just joined the forum and immediately was intrigued by this riddles thread!

Is the other answer to the Latin riddle
a riddle?

Here's one:

There exists an infinite hotel with rooms numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 ... and so on forever.  All of the rooms are occupied.  An infinite tour bus arrives with another [countably] infinitely many guests.  Can the hotel accommodate them?  How?

(I did read through the whole thread to see the riddles, and I see that there is at least one member who probably already knows the answer to this.)

I don't know, but our quarantine facilities would love to know the answer!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2021, 02:39:31 AM »
Came across this thread after/during the Great Forum Restructuring. The riddle about the infinite hotel could be an exercise of a maths lecture (some introductory course or a set theory lecture). Thread necromancy:
Spoiler: A solution • show

There are a lot of different approaches, here's one of them.

First make an infinite amount of room in the hotel, by moving every person to the room with double their current room number. (n -> 2n. For example the occupant of room 5342 goes to room 10684, or the occupant of room 111 goes to room 222).
This leaves all the (infinitely many) odd numbered rooms empty.

Then we enumerate the people in the buses. I don't want to write down the enumeration procedure yet, 'cause its a bit technical. Just assume, every person trom the buses has got their unique natural number. We may also require, that for every number there is a passenger with this number, if we like.
Now we assign the first passenger to the first odd-numbered room of the hotel, the second passenger to the second odd-numbered room etc. (passenger n goes to room 2n-1)
Then we're done and have filled the whole hotel again.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #290 on: July 16, 2021, 09:07:52 PM »
I don't have anything smart to say, I just wanted to give a verbal thumbs-up at Groupoid's necromancy. Love the infinite hotel problem and its solutions.
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

catbirds

« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Groupoid!

I'm glad this sort of thing doesn't exist! If I were unfortunate enough to be in room, say, a million, I'd probably be a pile of dust before I got to room two million…

afreude

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2021, 06:07:08 PM »
Groupoid, you are exactly right.  I think it's straight out of the first week or so of set theory (or possibly just intro to proofs, it's been a long time) showing why the sets of natural numbers, integers, rational numbers, etc. are all the same size.

I always thought it was a really clever and accessible way to help explain countably infinite sets.  It's pretty easy to take that idea and say: okay, everyone in the hotel is a positive integer, and everyone on the tour bus is a negative integer, and just line them up the same way so now we see that natural numbers and integers are sets of the same size.

What prompted your username?  I'm assuming topology or category theory/logic type interests?

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2021, 01:18:04 AM »
Yeah, though it's only little more than name dropping, I haven't studied groupoids much. I know them as fundamental groupoids of a space and that ∞-groupoids form a model of some type theories and haven't yet encountered them in a lecture.

Sorry, only saw your question today and am going on holidays (with little internet) right now.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru: