Author Topic: How did you discover SSSS?  (Read 5435 times)

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
Re: How did you discover SSSS?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
In mid 2015 I found Minna's art on deviantart while looking at landscape paintings, and that led me to A Redtail's Dream, which I loved as soon as I started reading it. I was sorta skeptical about SSSS originally because I'm not super into post apocalyptic stuff, and I'm definitely not into zombies, but after about a month I finally decided to start reading because if nothing else I knew the art would be good, and I was so enthralled. The fact that the story takes place at a time where people are starting to properly thrive again instead of everything being super bleak was a very nice surprise. The trolls were so much better than traditional zombies, there was a mystical aspect to go with them(which I actually also don't usually like but I love it here lol), the character interactions and dynamics were fun to read and felt very realistic(as well as the characters themselves!), among many other things, and oh my god the art.

Of course when I caught up is the day that particular chapter break started, but I survived. :P
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:07 PM »
... as it’s not only given me the comic but this wonderful community too!  :mikkel: And even inspired me to do creative things after a very VERY long hiatus! SSSS helped!  :reynir:

I can second that - I started doing drawing again for the first time in...maybe 17-18 years?...after joining this fandom in 2015.  I also joined a Forum challenge in early 2016, and wrote my (pretty much) first ever fan fiction at the ripe old age of 53, which I later ended up expanding into a fully-fledged multichapter work.  I now have written all sorts of works for several fandoms, as well as make silly doodles.  It's a rich part of my experience now (even if my work is not exactly deathless).
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:54 AM »
Wavewright, I certainly get that. While the art skill that runs in my family has skipped me entirely, I have been writing since I was a child. However, I started out writing poetry, and still do. As an adult I have written more technical papers and articles than anything else. Then, in my mid seventies, when one of my greatnieces introduced me to Minna’s work, I both discovered the concept of fanfic and discovered that I wanted to write it. So I have. I knew about webcomics because my beloved reads them, and has for about as long as they have existed. He had introduced me to Girl Genius, which I quite enjoyed.

Now, as well as working on the cookery book and foraging text which are my current projects, I write fanfic (I’m Tanist over on Archive of Our Own) and thoroughly enjoy it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »
I'd caught up with some webcomics that were either over or on indefinite hiatus and was moaning about this to my sister, who's majoring in visual art, and she recommended SSSS to me. I put off reading it for a while because of school applications, but once I started reading I (like everyone else here it seems :D ) got completely sucked in.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Malahan

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
I have an original character named Reynir and one day I was looking his name up on Google. I wanted to tell my friend something about the name's meaning and I wasn't sure if I remember the tree species right  ;D So I googled the pictures and saw a cute braided redhead there. Of course I couldn't resist and had to find out which story is that cutie from. I guess you all can imagine the rest  :))
Native: :czech:
Second language: :uk:
Learning: :iceland:

Temteno

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
I have an original character named Reynir and one day I was looking his name up on Google. I wanted to tell my friend something about the name's meaning and I wasn't sure if I remember the tree species right  ;D So I googled the pictures and saw a cute braided redhead there. Of course I couldn't resist and had to find out which story is that cutie from. I guess you all can imagine the rest  :))

This is so cute story! <3

Vaska

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
I stumbled on the comic on TVtropes, saw that it involved norse religion, which piqued my interest since I'm a heathen myself and gobble up any fiction that does more than loosely refer to the religion. I was hooked immediately and it reminded me a few story ideas I'd had myself, so I breezed through the whole thing in 2 days lol.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
Yeah, isn’t it nice to find a work which depicts us pagans/heathens as just regular people rather than automatically evil villains.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »
          I remember I had just finished a really cheesy, kinda bad but also absolutely wonderful webtoon called ‘Where Tangents Meet’ (it’s made by the same person who’s doing ‘Sirens Lament’, if there’s any other people out there who follow too many webtoons religiously and know that one) and I had that feeling where you don’t know what you’re going to do with your life after a huge entertainment has been forcefully ripped from you via ending, and so, logically, I browsed several websites and articles about ‘top 50 webcomics of the year!’ Or ‘10 webcomics you want to check out’, desperately searching for something to fill that empty space. One place recommends ARTD first and then went on to say how the same artist has mad a new, still-updating comic, and so I arrived at the SSSS website. The rest is blissful history (this is also the first and only story I’ve commented on and become a part of the fan community in, and I do think I chose the perfect community!)

Anyway, that was a very long and boring story for a small question.
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 07:34:56 PM »
I found it on TV Tropes and it looked interesting. I kept thinking about it, so one day I sat down and strated reading.

I did recommend it to a friend. He may or may not read it, who knows with him. (Light Hearted)

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 09:55:36 PM »
I discovered it by a random Google Search result. Quite strange actually, for I was searching for another comic and I found a link to this comic. Been enjoying it since then. It was during the last proper chapter break of 2 weeks, before Adv 2 Ch 14.
It's become a habit since then to open the comic every update day for a new page.

I think I'll be stuck with that habit for a while.
Somewhat fluent:🇺🇸
Native language:🇮🇳(telugu)
Somewhat rusty:🇮🇳(hindi)
Trying to learn:🇳🇴

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 08:43:06 AM »
This is a bit on the geeky side--

I was trying to explain to some one the etymology of a word, so I did a web search.

In the images return was the Language tree map, with the words stand, still, stay silent.

Intrigued, I clicked on the comic link, and "well here we are"!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Shotgun at the Disco

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »
I was milling around on a Space Battles board concerning a pretty good crossover fic, then I found some dude make mention of SSSS regarding its monster designs.
I was intrigued and gave it a look, haven't regretted it since.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
I actually discovered SSSS before I found ARtD! One of my friends recommended it to me and I followed it through to the very end (even re-reading it once to remember the full story) It ended up pulling me in with the visuals and story (+some favoritism in terms of characters. Lalli and Reynir's designs will have my heart forever.)

Also got reminded of it about halfway through reading because of OSP's (overly sarcastic productions) video over post apocalypses where Red (one of the two people who run the channel) mentions SSSS as being an excellent example.
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »
I am another person who found it through TV Tropes. Just before an intense weeklong hiking vacation. I remember reading a bit of it at the end of each day, and struggling to stay awake (because so tired). I also remember that I was hiking on a glacier soon after reading the but where Emil drags Lalli around and wondering whether I should try how it feels to do that with a friend. (Sadly, I didn't really have the equipment.) Although he wasn't on a glacier, was he?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others