Author Topic: How did you discover SSSS?  (Read 5437 times)

Oripoke

• Tumblr
How did you discover SSSS?
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
How did you find out about Stand Still Stay Silent?

Was it based on a recommendation from a friend? Did you encounter it by chance when browsing the web? Or have you been following since A Redtail's Dream?

For me, I happened randomly across some fanart and meme edits while browsing Tumblr. I was taken by the pretty art style, so I Googled it, and ended up falling in love almost instantly.

Just curious what some other people's experiences were like!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: How did you discover SSSS?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
For me, it was a recommendation from one of my great-nieces. She knew that I liked beautiful art and was an enthusiast of folklore. So she suggested I read 'A Redtail's Dream', which was in its early stages then. I have been here ever since.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
I saw it featured on Kotaku, or maybe Io9 (or whatever the hell it was before it got changed to that) when they featured the language tree iirc.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »
I think it was TopWebComics or a similar site. Can't quite recall. Either way, found it, binge-read it, loved it.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
A friend of mine sent me an image (the Øresund base, I think it was). Then my Mum sent me the language family page, because I love languages and she thought it would be nice. Several years later, while I was feeling anxious about life in general, I decided to start from the beginning of the comic–and have had no cause for complaint ever since. (I’m divided on A Redtail’s Dream, though; I know it’s the more mythologically-accurate of the two, but I find myself preferring Minna’s later art style.)
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »
I started reading webcomics with Girl Genius, which I'd found through a recommendation on Philip Pullman's website, after reading the 'His Dark Materials' series!  I proceeded from there to other HiveWorks webcomics, including Namesake.  The sidebar banner featuring Lalli kept coming up, and I finally was intrigued enough to click through.  They were jimmying open the door to Spot 24 at the time, and while I wasn't too keen on a comic about looters, I went back to the beginning anyway.  The semi-woodcut style prevalent in the earliest pages of the Prologue hooked right into my Scandinavian aesthetic, and I binged the whole comic (at that point only about 15 months' worth) over New Year's 2015.  Only later did I go back & read ARtD, and later still started participating in the discussions.  I still somewhat prefer the woodcut style, if I'm honest, but the scope of Minna's overall worldbuilding achievement more than makes up for any niggles about knees which always are drawn a few inches below the hem of any garment, no matter how long.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:58 AM »
I had started reading Girl Genius, and some of the other Hiveworks comics advertized looked interesting. There was one to which I really wanted to give a try, but whose title I kept forgetting. At some point, I just went on the TV Tropes page listing all the Hiveworks comics that have a page there and started clicking on random titles to see if any of those were the work I was looking for. Since I like reading the TV tropes pages of stuff anyway, I would give a look at what the comics were about even if they were obviously not the one I was looking for. Since I have a soft spot for cats, post apocalypses and fantasy that is more slice of life than action, SSSS ended up being more interesting to me than the work I had originally set out to find.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:00:12 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
* LooNEY_DAC blows giant thick layer of accumulated dust from memories.
Ah, there it is.
I was looking around the internet for traces of half-remembered TV shows of yore (mostly to prove to myself that I hadn't just made the memories I had of them up); obviously, I stumbled over TV Tropes, which led me to the Order of the Stick. The home site for OotS (Giant in the Playground) ran banner ads from the now-defunct Project Wonderful, and one just happened to be Reynir looking terrified. I clicked through and found Lalli calling the moon. While it was slightly annoying to realize that the character in the ad hadn't even shown up in the story, the story itself caught me. I didn't comment until Emil stepped on the dead guy, though.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
Hmmm. I don't actually remember; and I don't actually remember either when I first came in, or just where I first caught up, though it was quite a while ago, and some time before I joined the forum. It was sometime after the prologue, because I remember going back to that; and sometime before the troll knocked Sigrid into the water, because I remember worrying about her and having to wait for the page.

I might have seen this mentioned on the snopes boards -- every once in a while somebody would list a batch of webcomics they were reading -- or might have clicked on an ad on Girl Genius or possibly elsewhere.

I still haven't read ARtD; tried once, didn't get very far. Probably ought to try again.

I'm not particularly into zombie stuff, though I like a good after-the-apocalypse story otherwise; but what pulled me into this one was a little bit the cats, somewhat the artwork, and in large part the fact that both female and male characters were drawn realistically and dressed for what they seemed likely to be doing; plus that they were casually mixed in together on the same sort of job without either the author's voice, or anyone in the comic, making any sort of point of it. IME quite a lot of people do behave like that -- or at least I've managed to hang around often with such people -- but it's pretty rare in comics.

AmericanViking

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he, him
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 01:11:03 AM »
Someone made and posted a Nordic Union flag to r/vexillology back in November that I happened to see. They linked to the comic and I binge read the whole thing over a week or two. I loved the world building and the art was a head above most other webcomics (or really, most normal comics) that I had read before this one.
Chapter Break Survivor:
:A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

silverceleb

• Tumblr
  • haltiamieli
  • Preferred pronouns: hän/se | they
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
I have been a Minna Sundberg fan a lot longer than SSSS has been going on. I first discovered her works in what must have been 2005(?) when she still went by the username ShadowUmbre. My friend had an art site of her own and had linked Minna's page there. I had this kid crush on my friend back then and I wanted to like all the stuff they liked, so I naturally went through all the links on her site.

For ARtD and SSSS tho, I didn't want to start reading an incomplete webcomic (too many experiences of artists abandoning their work). I followed Minna on deviantArt back when ARtD was updating but I don't remember really noticing when she got it done. Also I missed the start of SSSS. (Must have been more to do with a period of me cutting my online time.)

Then, a few years went by, it's late August or early September in 2015, I'm playing Flight Rising, a virtual dragon dress-up and hatchery game. They had a deal with Hiveworks and there were adds for SSSS. Around those time I also got active on dA again and saw some of Minna's SSSS art there and at some point I just got too curious.

I was hooked from day one, but still I'm very glad I did wait for the comic to properly start before I jumped in, since it was easier for me to get into it this way. These days I'm way too invested in the comics and go to read the update every day. ;;;
Speaks from best -> worst: :finland: | :uk: :usa: | :sweden: | :france: | :china:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

IntensiTea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
I discovered SSSS on TV Tropes, where after seeing examples from the comic on multiple pages in a short time, I became curious. Initially, I didn't have any intention of actually reading the comic itself, as post-apocalyptic media typically sets off my anxiety very badly.
As you can see, things worked out differently than I planned. I followed the link to the Tv Tropes page and was suckered in mainly by its description of Lalli. Specifically, I was charmed by his catlike behavior and (implied, plausible, arguable, whatever words I have to use to appease the canon-compliance dusklings) Asperger's syndrome, both of these being traits I share, and intrigued by his being from Finland, a country that my uneducated American arse had had no concept of outside of "that is the name of a country that exists" until a few months prior, when I had found myself in a class with a really cool professor who had moved to the area from Finland.
(I've referenced Cool Finnish Professor in the comments a few times. She's great. When there was the discussion over Lalli saying "Over...there...ish" when there is no equivilant to "ish" in Finnish, I showed her the panel and asked for her input on what he would be likely to say, which led to me telling her about SSSS and her actually being interested and saying she would have to look it up. I wonder if she did.)
My humblest apologies for my American-ness.

Temteno

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
My friend recommended this comic to me because she had liked it a lot! At first I wasn't too keen on checking it out since I hadn't found any Finnish comic before SSSS that had interested me. I decided to give SSSS a try though when I checked Minna's Instagram and it had gorgeous art.

Well, here I am! I remember being very surprised that the comic had so active fanbase that posts often in Tumblr and here. It has been a pleasant time to be in this fandom full of very nice people who are as dedicated to small details and overthinking as me :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »
I think I saw SSSS recommended a couple of times on a Facebook group for geek women Finland. I’m certain I saw the language tree a couple of times at least. So one time I was probably a bit bored so clicked through to the recommendation and well, here we are.  :emil:

I think it was early this year or very late 2018, as I think Adventure 2 had started but was in early stages. I binged A1 as quickly as my work and family commitments allowed. Or to be honest I spend so much time reading that my family was complaining... When I reached the end of Adventure 1 I decided to give it a little break to let it build up to so I wouldn’t have to wait for new pages... well, that didn’t happen  :lalli:

Then I lurked for a while and tried to get my family interested in the comic to have someone to talk to about it. Didn’t work so had to join the Commentariat  :sigrun:

I haven’t regretted it a bit (at end of the week I sometimes do when my iPad gives the “daily screen time” statistics...  :onni: ) as it’s not only given me the comic but this wonderful community too!  :mikkel: And even inspired me to do creative things after a very VERY long hiatus! SSSS helped!  :reynir:

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
About a year ago I started looking into webcomics, and after a while I ran into SSSS (which I’d already heard about in the Overly Sarcastic Productions video). The prologue kinda lost me though, so I didn’t keep on reading. I did read a Redtails’s Dream and loved it, and that encouraged me to try SSSS again - once I got into it, I could barely stop reading! By the time I’d finished, it was the chapter break before Lalli’s flashback, and partway through that chapter I decided to write a poem about the whole chapter so far. That basically catapulted me into the comment community as I started writing poetry and making comments, and that eventually led me here!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport