Author Topic: Fan exchanges elsewhere  (Read 9977 times)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Fan exchanges elsewhere
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
I remember reading about some people missing the creative fan exchanges that used to be so frequent. They are no longer so common on the forum, but multifandom exchanges still happen on AO3, this year I was lucky enough to participate in trick or treat, and next up is chocolate box (the occasion, I think, is Valentines day so it might be a little too shippy for some)

I'll try to put up more links here as they come, and also please if anyone else knows about exchanges, post the links here so more people may get to know about them!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:21:19 PM by Unlos »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Fan exchanges elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
I'm signing up for Chocolate Box this year, even though I don't really like shippy content. There's lots of scope within family relationships (the & is a powerful device).
Thanks Unlos for the heads-up!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
A few tips to those new to multifandom Ao3 exchanges:

- Usually you are required to request at least 3 fandoms and offer at least 4 fandoms. But sometimes this varies. The rules for the exchange will explicitly state what the requirements are.

- You can only request fandoms, characters, or pairings, if they are in the tag set. The tag set is set up during the "nomination process". Details about when this starts and ends will be in the exchange's rules/FAQ.

- Some exchanges, like Chocolate Box and Trick or Treat, require a 300 word minimum. But many exchanges require a 1000 word minimum. Make sure to check what the requirements are before you sign up.

- Optional details are very important in exchanges like this. You don't need to write a letter; you can leave your details in the "optional details" box on the signup form. But giving some information is very useful to the person writing for you, because there is a good chance that your writer will be a complete stranger, and they won't know what kind of stories you like. You don't need to write a lot; it can be as simple as "I like A & B friendship, magic, and happy endings" or "I really enjoy ghosts, canon-typical horror, survival scenarios, and space AUs".

- If you don't like something, mention it in your optional details. It's best to be brief and to the point. "Do not want: Ghosts, unhappy endings, A/B romance, and AUs/Crossovers".

- It is also useful to mention the ratings you are comfortable with, because most Ao3 exchanges do not match based on rating. Again, be brief. "18+ is okay" or "no higher than PG-13 please".

- On Ao3, the mod contact email is located at the top of the header, if you need to ask them a question. There is no way to directly contact mods on Ao3 because Ao3 does not have a PM system.

I think that's all for now... or at least those are the main things that come to mind.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:12:06 PM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Thanks Yuu for explaining and clearing up a bit about exchanges on Ao3.

And about requesting different fandoms, it is to make the job of matching easier for those organizing. The last exchange I participated in, however a redtails dream, City of Hunger and SSSS was listed as three different fandoms :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:00:31 PM by Unlos »

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
It's an excellent idea to have a thread for fan exchanges!
I'm also going to sign up for Chocolate Box (already nominated a couple of relationships). And thanks Yuu for your tips, they're always very helpful.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
Worlbuilding Exchange is open for signups, currently. I love the concept and think plenty of other people here might appreciate it as well, given how many compliments SSSS worldbuilding receives.

- 3-10 fandom requests, 4-10 fandom offers
- 8 character and 8 worldbuilding slots for each request
- 1,000 words or a finished piece of art minimum
- aRTD, SSSS and City of Hunger are all available
- Signups are open until the 29th
- Assignments due on March 16th

Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Elleth! Is it necessary to make a dreamwidth account to participate?

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Elleth! Is it necessary to make a dreamwidth account to participate?

You're welcome! And it generally isn't necessary to have a DW or LJ account; the journals are usually for the organizatorial parts of the exchange only (announcements, tag set clarifications, etc.). You do need an AO3 account in order to participate, though.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
Four hours until signups of worldbuildingexchange close, and I made it (barely). 

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:50:00 PM »
Smut Swap has nominations open until Wednesday! As the name probably implies, it's for NSFW fic and art, so I'm not going to go into more detail here and refer you to the link instead: https://smutswap.dreamwidth.org/

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:55:38 AM »
Another slew of exchanges is coming up, so if you write SSSS fanfiction, be sure to have a look!

Fandom 5K has signups open until Saturday. If you like meaty fics of the longer sort, this one's for you, because the minimum wordcount is 5,000 words.

Night on Fic Mountain is an exchange for smaller fandoms of under 500 works on AO3 (completed, over 1,000 words and in English), and SSSS is scratching the upper limit of eligibility for this one, so it's very likely the last year it'll be allowed in. This one currently has nominations open, so if the main thing preventing you from exchanges is that you're not interested in what's nominated, head on over, read the rules, and nominate. ^^

Finally, a non-SSSS exchange, but if you're a music afficionado, Jukebox is a music-based exchange that has signups open until next Wednesday; you write fanfiction based either on a song or a music video - over 600 to choose from!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
I believe ARtD should still fall well within their maximum guidelines?

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 12:40:14 AM »
Thank you for letting us know!

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:38:52 AM »
I believe ARtD should still fall well within their maximum guidelines?

It does! A few characters and pairings for that are in the tag set, too. And, I suppose, City of Hunger, for purposes of keeping the crew in there after SSSS has become ineligible.

Thank you for letting us know!

Aw, you're welcome! I hope some people decide to sign up, it's getting a bit lonely with only one or two fandom members there.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »
It looks like tagset nominations are open tfor AO3 Mother's Day Exchange as well. 
I couldn't sign up for the long fic exchange because I just couldn't pledge enough for the fandoms and tagsets that were out there, even though I have some ideas that could be developed.  Moral of the story - get in on the tagset nominations to set up the fandoms and/or relationships you are interested in!