Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149298 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
I reset my phone and it seems to be back to normal now. I guess it just means I need a new phone :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
So, slight bit of news: our forum host is rolling out a new hosting package, and I have the option to upgrade us to it. I'm thinking I won't do it just yet, since it is in beta and bugs are expected, but if it looks promising it's something I'll be considering in the future. First reports are saying it's much faster, and it'd be more easily upgradable if we grow significantly as time goes on (not that we're anywhere near the limits of what our current package can handle!).

I dunno how to fix on tablet, but I accidentally fixed on laptop, which had same problem. I just downloaded adobe flash????

but I dunno what to do with tablet. it can open youtube vids, but not if it is embed on the forum.....

Yeah, that's basically what we figured--youtube requires flash, most mobile browsers (and some laptops) don't have flash support, viewing with flash support fixes it. Would still be nice to have a more graceful fallback for those who don't have flash, but this would require some PHP coding and possibly some back and forth with the plugin author. We'll be looking into it.

Ok I don't know if this is just me or what, but instead of the little green squares next to people's names when they are online I see little german flags. Also for some strange reason the little green square is showing up as one of the happyfaces. I am currently viewing on safari on my iphone 4 if that helps any. I took screen shots but I can't post pictures from my phone easily.

Hmm, that sounds like it could be a cache issue, possibly. Try clearing your cache: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24682904/how-do-you-clear-image-cache-in-iphone-5s-safari-browser

ETA: Forgot to mention, one of the big changes in the upgraded hosting would be the presence of varnish caching. That could make the forum run way faster, but might also cause bugs. FWIW.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:41:01 PM by hushpiper »

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
I reset my phone and it seems to be back to normal now. I guess it just means I need a new phone :P
Nah, something like that would happen anyway. Although you could use it as an excuse...

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »

iPhone 4 (not even an s oh my god) squad for the WIN!
Although yes, I am trying to trade mine in for a newer model, mainly because mine is so old and broken that it can't download the new ios.
YEET

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
Testing a fix for the mobile youtube issue:

ETA: Tentative success, at least on chrome browser on android. Calling everybody with a mobile device--or a device that doesn't run flash--to test it out themselves.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:19:22 PM by hushpiper »

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Video embeds now work on the Kindle Fire's native browser (Android, but modified) so seems good.

However, it doesn't like the mobile theme much. The unread posts section and all the boards are now displayed in a tiny ribbon about 15 characters wide, so stretches for a long time with all those posts. Also, posts are now displayed *under* people's avatars, with a blank space where it used to be before, to the right of the avatar. The new mobile-friendly icons are there, but only take up about a quarter of the infobar/thing.
Generally, it looks like a mobile theme squashed into a desktop theme.
However, the new theme looks pretty good on my iPhone 5, although the titles for threads are still very narrow and don't use all the available space.
Uh..
Did that help? I'm not sure they were very helpful descriptions. I'll see if I can get some pictures if they weren't.

Redacted, Eriaror previously mentioned it as a known bug (and I'm blind or something) so no issues with the new theme then.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:40:19 PM by ParanormalAndroid »

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »
Is there a way to view all unread topics on the mobile version like on the desktop version? Also is there a way to switch to the desktop version on a mobile?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #367 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
The mobile version of the browser has changed, like, WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK?!?!

Guys, IT LOOKS WEIRD NOW!

Am I experiencing bugs? Does anyone else use their phones to check the forum? Because I am having some issues, check out the screen grabs from my phone:

This is the home screen, where are the logos? how do I know if there are posts I haven't checked?

The S.S.S.S. thread looks WRONG. All the thread options are jammed on one side! And I can't tell if there are any new posts like in the computer version.

There aren't any pictures to go with user accounts anymore!

How do I reply to a topic? I CAN'T, THERE IS NO BUTTON ANYMORE

HELP GUYS I'M FREAKING OUT

I
NEED
MY
MOBILE
UPPPDDAAATTTEEESSS!!!

*clutches knees and rocks in the corner*
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #368 on: July 06, 2015, 05:49:13 AM »
And without the avatars to take up space, the text is so widely spread that it's only fit for mice.  Zooming in to readability means scrolling back and forth to read. XP  I'm on a windows phone; I'll try rebooting, because this is just not usable now.  Blecch!
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »
OK, I've rebooted & the forum is still just as horribly wonky.  Please UNIMPROVE, or make the desktop version an obvious option to switch to.  It was fine before.
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2015, 06:17:42 AM »
Most of the issues experienced are not our fault, but bugs and/or wrong design decisions in SMF's mod, which is in admittedly in Beta, so it can have bugs and wrong design decisions.

This is the home screen, where are the logos? how do I know if there are posts I haven't checked?
SMF devs decided to hide that functionality on mobile. Working on undoing that right now.

The S.S.S.S. thread looks WRONG. All the thread options are jammed on one side! And I can't tell if there are any new posts like in the computer version.
Known bug in SMF's mod.

There aren't any pictures to go with user accounts anymore!
That's weird, I had user avatars when I last checked. Will look into it.

How do I reply to a topic? I CAN'T, THERE IS NO BUTTON ANYMORE
WHAT. Just... how? Nevermind, checking it... Edit: Looking at your picture for a little longer I realized that you're simply just not logged in there! You aren't logged in on the SSSS Board pic either, that's why there are no little tags. :)

Currently there's no option for users to turn off mobile layout, but I can make one real quick if there's demand. ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:55:38 AM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2015, 06:23:02 AM »

Currently there's no option for users to turn off mobile layout, but I can make one real quick if there's demand. ;)

Yes please. And thank you :)

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2015, 07:00:13 AM »
Yeah, if it could be turned off until the "bugs" are worked out, that would be nice.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
Most of the issues experienced are not our fault, but bugs and/or wrong design decisions in SMF's mod, which is in admittedly in Beta, so it can have bugs and wrong design decisions.
>snip!<

ObFilk:  Not My Fault, sung by Clam Chowder. ;). Yes please, to the button.  Absolvo te.  ;D
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »

Sorry I put the new theme up without letting you know, and that it took me so long to do so! I'm kinda glad that I did though, most of these usability issues wouldn't have occurred to me just from messing around with it on the dev site. An on/off button would be excellent while we're in this transitional period. PM me with whatever you've got when you're ready and I'll slap it up ASAP. :D

Currently the mobile theme comes up when the window you're looking at the site in is smaller than a certain size--I'm kinda wondering if it'd be better from a usability perspective to have certain changes linked to window size (like the smaller header image, so that the page isn't stretched and buttons are a decent size), but others linked to the browser's user agent? *muses*

ETA: fiddling with the mobile mod seems to have fixed the issues with the thread listings being all squashed. Eri's working on the other changes now, like a boss.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:32:57 AM by hushpiper »