Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 150130 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #690 on: December 16, 2022, 11:55:06 AM »
I also know what the time is here now, but I want to see when previous posts have gone up :)
FWIW, test-changing my offset from the default "0" to "6" also changes the "Today at 11:28:56" displayed above your post to "Today at 17:28:56".

If only it were to accept proper timeZONES as the setting, rather than a simple (fixed) offset to whatever "forum time" is, it would be a really useful localization tool ...
(I know there's a unixoid OS underneath the forum, so there's a system clock running on (DST-less) UTC and a catalogue of timezone definitions that receives OS updates, available to all software that knows to make use of such features.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #691 on: December 17, 2022, 06:02:54 AM »
Do you want me to see if we can change the way that you can self-allocate what personal time it shows you (ie changing it into choosing a timezone from saying how offset you are from forum time which afaik is american east coast time)? It doesn't sound too impossible to do.

(I have to admit, though, that before now I didn't actually know that the personal time feature existed)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #692 on: December 17, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »
Do you want me to see if we can change the way that you can self-allocate what personal time it shows you (ie changing it into choosing a timezone from saying how offset you are from forum time which afaik is american east coast time)? It doesn't sound too impossible to do.
I would consider it a notable improvement of SMF, but not for myself, thanks. I log in straight to the Recent Unread Topics page to catch the news, and when I dig into the forum's past (and were concerned with the original posting timestamp in the first place ...), the important part rather is the date and not the exact time. 8) I'm just noting that if I wanted the timestamps to be properly given per my timezone, the differing DST rules between that and the forum time would prevent the "constant offset" mechanism from achieving that.

(... already / so far. Can't wait for the EU to abolish DST switching altogether.)

FWIW, we're running SMF 2.0.19, so we seem to be sorta caught in between existing mods for 1.1.x and 2.1 ... :3
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #693 on: May 25, 2023, 09:27:44 AM »
For at least a couple of hours yesterday (May 24th 2023) afternoon and evening (Eastern Daylight Time, New York State) all I could get when I tried to come to the forum (Firefox on an old Mac desktop) was:

Table './pogopros_ssss/smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

Other sites were working normally for me.

I presume it was repaired, whatever it is, as things seem normal now. But I don't see anything on the forum about it. Was it somehow just me, or was it a forum problem?

And also: is there a way I could have reported this for attention, given that I couldn't get at the boards to do it here?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #694 on: May 25, 2023, 10:26:43 AM »
Yes, that was a problem with the forum - once I tried to check the forum and saw the issue, I contacted hushpiper (our backend admin) who was able to resolve it quite quickly. Sorry for neglecting to put a notice out - I've had a bit of a crazy day with some family stuff on but it would've been a good thing to do.

I do check the forum every day to see what's happening in case an issue like this comes up and I need to find a way to resolve it or contact someone who can (usually hushpiper). However, my email is keeplooking353@protonmail.com if you want a way to get in touch or alert me to things if you can't do so through the forum.

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #695 on: May 25, 2023, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks!

-- and I figured the lack of notice was probably due to mods being busy.  :)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #696 on: May 25, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
I had the same problem and the same message, thorny, and those were some loooong hours while the table got repaired.
(of course the Forum has to be standing over something. Nobody leaves a website on the ground, it's not hygienic)

Thankfully it's all good now. :)

Thanks Keep, and Hushpiper. You are great! Also I wrote down the contact email, just in case.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #697 on: May 26, 2023, 06:39:28 PM »
Many thanks to Keep and hushpiper!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #698 on: November 04, 2023, 11:37:11 PM »
I looked around and I think this is the best place for this but I am not 100% sure. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

So I came back after IDK how long and found that my access to the Mature Board was gone. When I click on it it says, "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

I am not sure if it is down for others. I also thought that maybe my access was removed because I did not have my age in my profile, so I fixed that.

Sorry again if I should have taken this somewhere else on the forum, but this thread was the closest I could find for this issue.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #699 on: November 05, 2023, 03:58:00 AM »
Ohno! I'll have a look if there's anything up with your profile and if something's gone funky with the roles or the mature board (and get you access back of course). Thanks for letting me know!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #700 on: November 05, 2023, 04:24:15 AM »
Update after several minutes of poking things:
It appears that something has broken with the mature board and / or some of the forum membergroups because normal (non-admin) members do not seem to be able to access the mature board (clicking on it gets an error readout). The mature board definitely still exists because I can access it, and after some poking at membergroups I am still not sure what is going on, so this might take a while to resolve.

Would any of the mods be able to let me know if they're able to access the mature board?

I might take a while to fix this issue as I am honestly stumped as to what is going on (and have exams this week), but thank you for letting me know what's happening.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:26:03 AM by Keep Looking »

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #701 on: November 05, 2023, 10:37:18 AM »
Keep, I get the same error. Curious!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #702 on: November 05, 2023, 10:38:44 AM »
It’s probably in the member groups rather than the boards because I get the same thing for the Politics board. Personal board does however work!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #703 on: November 09, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
Sorry to be a bother, but any word on the progress of fixing this?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #704 on: November 10, 2023, 07:45:20 AM »
I've had exams this week so I haven't been able to properly look at it, but my exams are done now so I'll be trying to fix it this weekend. Once I start whacking at it properly I'll keep you guys updated on how it's going.

Ruler of Changi Airport