Author Topic: Mission: Rescuing Tuuri  (Read 1503 times)

Róisín

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Mission: Rescuing Tuuri
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:33 AM »
Of course, many of us have some French, either as a learned or a native language. I'm not familiar with the Full Metal Alchemist tale or its fandom, but don't let language stop you from posting relevant stories if you write them in French. After all, there are stories in Russian and Finnnish on the SSSS part of Archive of our own.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Scout
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
Good to know. So far, I've stuck to English for SSSS. But the Fullmetal Alchemist ones were in in French (and published on a French site), and my fanfiction.net account was born from translating two or three. Basically, the Fullmetal Alchemist story starts with two brothers trying to resurrect their mother, and not only failing, but angering some higher power who takes parts of their bodies away as punishment in the process  (Tv Tropes page). The circles used for alchemy bear a passing resemblance to Icelandic runes. So the meaning behind my previous post was that magical resurrection plots are an old friend of mine.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:14:40 AM by Grade E cat »
Note to self: I live in France and go to bed early, I do NOT get time zone induced early updates
Native: :france:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :usa:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :spain:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :japan:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :germany:

Sc0ut

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »
Or create a new body...

For some reason I'm getting really unholy, Bad vibes from this. You guys, what if the source of the Rash is someone trying to pull a soul out of Tuonela? Botched rituals can be really dangerous in some traditions. I like the idea, the downside is that if the story goes this way, they might end up trollifying Tuuri despite her initial "safe" demise. If this were so easy*, why aren't Finnish mages resurrecting people left and right?

* of course, the easy reply is, it's not easy, you need a special Icelandic boy who has a boat in the dreamland and they're only born once in a century or something. Possible.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:25:12 AM by Sc0ut »

Róisín

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
There are tales where that is done, but unless the gods are very much on your side, and/or actively helping, it is usually an unwise thing to do. Celtic lore has the dead soldiers from Bran's invasion of Ireland resurrected in the Cauldron, to fight again. They are voiceless and obedient, but if nobody stops them they just go on randomly killing - sort of a Celtic zombie. Then there is Bloddeuwedd, who was not dead, merely bodiless until the mages Gwydion and Math enchant a body made of flowers to be her vehicle. That tale didn't end well either, at least not for her husband Lleu (who was also, come to think of it, resurrected and re-embodied, though to a much better purpose). The Finnish and Estonian tales, and the Greek and Egyptian myths also have examples, generally not ending well unless a god is involved.

In the magical traditions of our world, results seem to be better if the soul of the dead person is called into either the body of another person or animal or into some artifact. Tuuri's body is infected, drowned at the bottom of the sea, and by now has possibly been eaten or absorbed by something, so resurrecting her in the flesh is likely beyond the ability of our heroes.

If I were in the Minnaverse, I would be disinclined even to try such a thing without knowing a great deal more about the nature and origin of the Rash, and the tale has not yet revealed that information. I suspect the disease will turn out to be at least partly magical in origin.

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 08:02:50 AM »
In the magical traditions of our world, results seem to be better if the soul of the dead person is called into either the body of another person or animal or into some artifact. Tuuri's body is infected, drowned at the bottom of the sea, and by now has possibly been eaten or absorbed by something, so resurrecting her in the flesh is likely beyond the ability of our heroes.

If I were in the Minnaverse, I would be disinclined even to try such a thing without knowing a great deal more about the nature and origin of the Rash, and the tale has not yet revealed that information. I suspect the disease will turn out to be at least partly magical in origin.

Resurrecting her in the flesh might be possible if they recover the body. The Rash doesn't survive long in a dead host, that's been hammered home time and again in the story, so that even taking a load of laundry with a Rash dog's gore on it does nothing to a non-immune after a couple of hours, and that effect is accelerated if it's cold, which it is. Vejle Fjord apparently only has minor surface currents, so unless Tuuri sank to the bottom (~30m, less by the shore) they might be able to find her and have a newly uninfected vessel to bring her soul(s) back into. And there's the precedent of Lemminkäinen to get the body functional again... maybe it turns out the failed cure is just the thing to replace Ukko's nectar/honey/water of life? Could try having Onni cry on her, that middle name's gotta be good for something...

Okay, I'm grasping at straws with the last point, but... SSSS (and aRTD before) took some leeway with the mythology, so the possibility might exist...
Native: Fluent: Decent: Learning: Wishful:

Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
You know, you're right about the short duration of the vector! Hmmmm.....

Solokov

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
Resurrecting her in the flesh might be possible if they recover the body. The Rash doesn't survive long in a dead host, that's been hammered home time and again in the story, so that even taking a load of laundry with a Rash dog's gore on it does nothing to a non-immune after a couple of hours, and that effect is accelerated if it's cold, which it is. Vejle Fjord apparently only has minor surface currents, so unless Tuuri sank to the bottom (~30m, less by the shore) they might be able to find her and have a newly uninfected vessel to bring her soul(s) back into. And there's the precedent of Lemminkäinen to get the body functional again... maybe it turns out the failed cure is just the thing to replace Ukko's nectar/honey/water of life? Could try having Onni cry on her, that middle name's gotta be good for something...

Okay, I'm grasping at straws with the last point, but... SSSS (and aRTD before) took some leeway with the mythology, so the possibility might exist...

Time to write a fic about a small civilization that survived the rash thanks to mild cryogenenic treatments.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ilral

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
When I said create a new one, I was more thinking "reincarnation" than "horrifying flesh golem made from troll bits". The art of making new humans might be a bit difficult, but it's not lost.
:chap14:
:chap15:
:chap16:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Wubba lubba dub dub!

Also, isn't three partly what happened in ARTD? Regardless that too feels rather Rick Sabchezy as well.

Tbh I don't want Rick Sanchez to help. He'd bring her back but he'd also start the apocalypse by freezing the swan.

That or he'd turn the whole world back to normal. Forcing Reynir to go on adventures against his will with morty.

ButterflyWings

• Valkyrie
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Death changes people, Tuuri has left pure, albeit at her own hand.

The kind of ritual to bring back the dead demands a very specific kind of dead personality. A personality Tuuri doesn't embody. Instead you would allow a portal to open up to Tuonela and something else would come through.

If you are lucky you would notice it in that while it wears the face of Tuuri, it wouldn't be her. In a worse case Tuuri's body is possessed by Tuuri and an other who would suborn Tuuri's memories and personality to its own use.

Imagine that Sleipnope is on the lighter side of the hideous and terrible creatures that inhabit Tuonela. There are those that ravenously hunger to be back among the living.

There is a reason why the dead should stay dead.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:58:49 PM by ButterflyWings »
Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/She/Her
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
They could try to find Väinämöinen's kantele. I don't think it was ever used to bring someone back from the dead in Kalevala, but in one of my favorite re-interpretations of the classic story, Don Rosa's the Quest for Kalevala, it was used to bring Louhi back from Tuonela, and Väinämöinen back from where ever he was residing. Since Kalevala is public domain, there is no definitive version, this one could be as canon as the original
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
Well, raising the dead with music is certainly classical enough. But if you propose that sort of magic, you would have to construct your limitations with the most finicky precision. Tuuri, and only Tuuri, as her own weaselbunny self, with nothing attached and nothing missing, in a functional body.

Ever read a modern play called 'The Monkey's Paw'? Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »
He'd bring her back but he'd also start the apocalypse by freezing the swan.

Might kinx things... but can it really get much worse than horrifying flesh golems and wandering enraged souls of things out to eat people for lunch? I'm about 90% certain that's a normal wednesday for Rick Sanchez.

That or he'd turn the whole world back to normal. Forcing Reynir to go on adventures against his will with morty.

Adding that to the list of fics that need to be written...
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:58 AM »
Ever read a modern play called 'The Monkey's Paw'? Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Ooh yes that was nightmare-inducing, and quite often in literature it ends horribly. But! Butbut!

The truth of one type of fiction does not hold true for all. There are plenty of fictional characters come back from death, for better or for worse, and the results depends much on the tradition of that type of literature.

On Butterfly Wings, I don't agree that what you say re characters returning from death is applicable to all genres of fiction (Gandalf is the most striking example I can think of just now).

If it applies to Minnaverse or not, remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:20:09 AM by Unlos »
Languages: native: :norway: fluent: :uk: understand and speak some: :spain: remnants: :france:
:artd: :book1+: :book2::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:30 AM »
I'm having a lot of half-baked ideas suddenly that involve the crew's trip being a trial run for an underworld journey, but there's one panel I CANNOT now think of as anything other than foreshadowing in terms of Mission: Rescuing Tuuri, regardless of how wrong I am about the rest:

Yes? No? Thoughts?
Native: Fluent: Decent: Learning: Wishful:

Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: