Author Topic: Mission: Rescuing Tuuri  (Read 1504 times)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Mission: Rescuing Tuuri
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
The idea of rescuing Tuuri from Tuonela has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm thinking it deserves its own topic. The floor is open to speculation as to how they will accomplish this, but I just want to say: REYNIR HAS A BOAT,  PEOPLE! IN THE DREAMWORLD!! ON WHAT PRETTY MUCH LOOKS LIKE THE BORDER OF TUONELA!! Ahem. Why would the first Dreamworld scene we see him in depict him in a boat, if not for splendid foreshadowing? I am soo aboard that idea. Any takers?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:44:04 AM by Unlos »
Languages: native: :norway: fluent: :uk: understand and speak some: :spain: remnants: :france:
:artd: :book1+: :book2::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Luth Nightbreeze

• Skald
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Treat the unknown with curiosity
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Mission: Rescuing Tuuri
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
The idea rescuing Tuuri from Tuoonela has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm thinking it deserves its own topic. The floor is open to speculation as to how they will accomplish this, but I just want to say: REYNIR HAS A BOAT,  PEOPLE! IN THE DREAMWORLD!! ON WHAT PRETTY MUCH LOOKS LIKE THE BOARDER OF TUONELA!! Ahem. Why would the first Dreamworld scene we see him in depict him in a boat, if not for splendid foreshadowing? I am soo aboard that idea. Any takers?

OOH! Reynir's boat, thats a good point! I had forgotten about that! I definitely want to see him paddling down the river Tuoni now.

:chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:
:chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17:
Speaks: :canada: Can sing, apparently: :norway: Learning in school: :spain: Wishlist: :finland: :iceland:
Proud Admiral of the Aurora

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »
Personally, I don't think Tuuri will be leaving Tuonela. We miiiight see a dreamworld visit or vision of it, but I don't think Minna will have her "rescued" or brought back. I think we'll see her in flashbacks from time to time, and maybe her spirit will show up for some purpose, but her death felt very final. I think the text on the info page about Tuonela, about "a place few living souls have visited, and fewer departed souls have returned from" is simply referring to various legends in Finnish mythology. I don't think it's foreshadowing anything. The last line, "It is an abode of quiet," sounds incredibly final, definite, resolute. I feel that Tuuri will not be disturbed in her resting place.
"Hope, now, is a tricky thing. A real double edged sword. It is the sole power that keeps mankind on it's feet. Heads up and at it. Even in time of crisis. An invaluable force of nature. But as hope can be true... it can also be false. We choose the way to go, but will the road set us free?"- Marko Saaresto
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :book3:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
The major problem with this idea is that Tuuri's body is now at the bottom of the sea. With no body to come back too, any soul saving mission is a bust from the get go.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Windfighter

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
The major problem with this idea is that Tuuri's body is now at the bottom of the sea. With no body to come back too, any soul saving mission is a bust from the get go.

So what we need to do is kill someone else in the crew so Tuuri's soul can inhabit that vessle instead! >:D
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Ilral

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
So what we need to do is kill someone else in the crew so Tuuri's soul can inhabit that vessle instead! >:D
Or create a new body...
:chap14:
:chap15:
:chap16:

P__

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
The major problem with this idea is that Tuuri's body is now at the bottom of the sea.
if my vague memories don't fail me, fishing back a drowned body has totally been done before (although it was a bit of a hassle, involving bees and holy nectar to get it into working condition again)

Or create a new body...
Well THAT is an easy thing too. Only problem is that it's not exactly a Finnish tradition... Oh well, the team was set up to retrieve ancient knowledge anyway ;)
:chap5: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book2: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book3: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap18: :chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Copy pasts from disqus. There are 3 ways to come back to lief in Finnish mythos.

1. A god brings you back

2. They fish you out of the lake of tuonela and ukko sends a bee. (I'm under the impression that you don't need a body for this)

3. They take the soul and run. They need a body for this I *think*

Meh who knows. We'll see in the future. Or they could just ring Rick Sanchez to help them.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »

Meh who knows. We'll see in the future. Or they could just ring Rick Sanchez to help them.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

Also, isn't three partly what happened in ARTD? Regardless that too feels rather Rick Sabchezy as well.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Or maybe Kisu would agree to share a body.... One of the fanfic writers, I think it was GradeECat, has an ongoing fic in which Tuuri and Onni have been dead since Saimaa, but share a body with Lalli and manifest as needed.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:11 PM »
There's a reason people weigh down corpses when they dispose of them in water. They have a habit of floating...

JoB

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
Why would the first Dreamworld scene we see him in depict him in a boat, if not for splendid foreshadowing?
You do remember that it was promptly re-captained by Long Skull Silverpelt the Nyuuuutinist, right?

I think that Siv's former colleagues have a couple spares around.

(Of course, skald Tuuri would love to take over from Nordic Council Lady, what with all the bureaucracy to manhandle so as to accidentally OK and fund many more missions into the Silent World ...)
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 09:51:47 PM »
If, as many readers suspected at the time, what invaded Reynir's boat was the spirit of the beastdog which Emil later killed, it will be gone now.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 01:31:34 AM »
You do remember that it was promptly re-captained by Long Skull Silverpelt the Nyuuuutinist, right?

Pfft, of course! Trusty doggy is either guarding the boat that Reynir so thoughtlessly left, or is, as Róisín suggested, gone.

Plenty of arguments against it of course but they don't convince me. I feel that we haven't seen the last of that boat  8)
Languages: native: :norway: fluent: :uk: understand and speak some: :spain: remnants: :france:
:artd: :book1+: :book2::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Grade E cat

• Scout
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:29:03 AM »
Or maybe Kisu would agree to share a body.... One of the fanfic writers, I think it was GradeECat, has an ongoing fic in which Tuuri and Onni have been dead since Saimaa, but share a body with Lalli and manifest as needed.

Stictly speaking, they are supposed to be very elaborate illusions that started out as other personalities. Or at least Tuuri is. One of the reveals of the story is that Onni basically pulled a Pastor A and is the reason his illusion counterpart has a source of magic separate from Lalli, so the description isn't completely inaccurate.

Otherwise, don't tempt me with the idea of magic resurrection of Tuuri, all of you (I'm on the wrong thread for that, aren't I?). I wrote a lot of Fullmetal Alchemist fanfiction in my early adulthood years and what's currently on my fanfiction.net account is only what I got around to translating from French at the time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:36:18 AM by Grade E cat »
Note to self: I live in France and go to bed early, I do NOT get time zone induced early updates
Native: :france:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :usa:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :spain:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :japan:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :germany: