Author Topic: Podcasts!  (Read 7228 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Podcasts!
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
For all those into scifi, I am listening to a podcast called Steal the Stars and it is really really goooooood. I highly recommend it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
My search for something to listen to while I re-relearn to knit made me stumble upon The Adventure Zone, a DnD game by the aforementioned McElroy brothers (plus father!) I really only just started, so I don't have a reasoned opinion about the plot, but it's hilarious, with truly great interaction.

And you don't even need to know how to play DnD, you can learn with'em!
It's pretty great.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:34:57 PM by Shine »
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
My search for something to listen to while I re-relearn to knit made me stumble upon The Adventure Zone, a DnD game by the aforementioned McElroy brothers (plus father!) I really only just started, so I don't have a reasoned opinion about the plot, but it's hilarious, with truly great interaction.

And you don't even need to know how to play DnD, you can learn with'em!
It's pretty great.

As someone whose friend is constantly relaying the events of The Adventure zone to me as she listens to it, I can say that the plot is absolutely ridiculous, but also great. The first couple of episodes are apparently not that great, but the quality of the campaign improves significantly as everyone figures out how to play. I'm very spoiled for plot points, but I'll probably end up listening to it myself, anyway!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
As someone whose friend is constantly relaying the events of The Adventure zone to me as she listens to it, I can say that the plot is absolutely ridiculous, but also great. The first couple of episodes are apparently not that great, but the quality of the campaign improves significantly as everyone figures out how to play. I'm very spoiled for plot points, but I'll probably end up listening to it myself, anyway!
The Adventure Zone is one of my favorites! The plot does start out really ridiculous but it ends up being really heartfelt and moving. Ana's right in that the first episodes aren't great but it gets so much better.
I haven't listened to the new Commitment arc, but the Balance arc was really good.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »
I listened to the ending of the Balance arc of TAZ not too long ago, and let me just say that it was one of the most satisfying endings I've gotten out of a long-form story like that. Especially given the fact that a considerable chunk of it is essentially improvised.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
Right now I'm listening to Deadly Manners which is done in an old fashioned murder mystery style. It's really great so far, and some of the people from No Sleep are working on it. I also started a podcast called Heavyweight recently, and it's oddly heartwarming. It's nonfiction, and the host tries to help people resolve conflicts that have kept them apart from friends and family members. I've only listened to the first two episodes so far, but I'm definitely interested in more.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 04:17:27 PM »
I've been listening to "King Falls AM" a lot recently. Think morning talk show host, but with werewolves, aliens, and other monsters and cryptids.
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
...Does it count as thread necromancy if I've been led here by Gwenno's post in another thread?

Oh well. If you like anime and you're not averse to (occasionally crude) humor and memes, you can try the Rant Cafe Anime Podcast, available on Twitch, YouTube and Spotify. It's hosted by three anime YouTubers, who talk about anime-related stuff and make fun of each other along with their numerous guests. The same bunch also hosts the One Piece Virgin podcast, available on the same YouTube and Twitch channels, in which one of the hosts reads One Piece manga for the first time and discusses his reactions with the others.

euseevius

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
I listened to the ending of the Balance arc of TAZ not too long ago, and let me just say that it was one of the most satisfying endings I've gotten out of a long-form story like that. Especially given the fact that a considerable chunk of it is essentially improvised.
I cry every time I listen to TAZ:B's finale. It really is sooo satisfying, I'd rank it in my personal TOP3 of long-form story endings just behind FullMetal Alchemist (manga and Brotherhood) probably.

I'm incapable of listening to non-fiction podcasts, so my podcast repertuar mostly consists of d&d actual play podcasts and couple of narrative fiction ones. From the former category I can wholeheartedly rec (in addition to The Adventure Zone, lol) The Mortal Path and Dungeons and Daddies. From the latter, Welcome to Night Vale is my forever favourite, and a newer obsession is The Magnus Archives - which starts its final season next week! V excited for that.
Yes: :finland: :uk: | Ehhhhh: :sweden: :germany:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
...Does it count as thread necromancy if I've been led here by Gwenno's post in another thread?
I feel like it's legit to necromance (if that's a word) this thread. There are so many good podcasts to talk about!

It looks like all the fiction podcasts I listen to (The Magnus Archives, King Falls AM, etc) have already been talked about here, so just adding a few author-specific podcasts:
The Prancing Pony Podcast - A Tolkien-themed podcast in which two guys read through and discuss Tolkien's works. Their knowledge of Tolkien's Legendarium is quite extensive, and they're good at engaging both long-time fans of Tolkien and people who have never read Tolkien's works before. They're currently working through LotR (they've just reached the end of the Mines of Moria) after having already covered the Silmarillion and The Hobbit. They also have some really interesting episodes where they interview Tolkien scholars.
Harry Potter and the Sacred Text - Two atheist chaplains use traditional sacred reading practices in chapter-by-chapter discussions of the Harry Potter series. It's pretty interesting, and they're pretty good at making their discussions open to people of any religious background/belief system. They just finished Book 6.
Reading, Writing, Rowling - Each episode is an interview with a different Potter scholar. Tends to be focused on literary theory.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
I've been listening to so many podcasts lately. Some that I've been listening to for years are 99% Invisible (design and architecture), The Memory Palace (general history), and Sawbones (medical history), but I've recently started catching up with Welcome to Night Vale--I'm five years behind--and listening to a decade-old podcast by the BBC called A History of the World in a Hundred Objects. I think I need to get more caught up with WTNV before starting The Magnus Archives or the newest Adventure Zone, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
I was wondering wether a thread like this existed, and it does! Hurrah!!

I've been listening to so many podcasts lately. Some that I've been listening to for years are 99% Invisible (design and architecture), The Memory Palace (general history), and Sawbones (medical history), but I've recently started catching up with Welcome to Night Vale--I'm five years behind--and listening to a decade-old podcast by the BBC called A History of the World in a Hundred Objects. I think I need to get more caught up with WTNV before starting The Magnus Archives or the newest Adventure Zone, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.
I've heard of Welcome to Night Vale because I've seen it compared to The Magnus Archives, and, combined with all the fans here, I must say I am intrigued. Maybe that'll be my podcast project next summer. My sister also really likes Sawbones, so it's funny to see several people recommend that. My podcast friend is also really into MBMBAM and TAZ, so all the talk of those are making me really interested! One I haven't seen mentioned yet that the same friend is currently listening to is Critical Role-- I haven't listened to it but she says it's very good, it's another DnD podcast.

To be honest, I've sort of resisted getting into podcasts/audio dramas/even audiobooks because it's the sort of thing I saw myself really liking, but I don't really have the time to listen very regularly and I didn't want it to become a huge time suck. But I fell into the black hole anyway, and it's really cool to read through all the recommendations on this thread!! I have been looking for a good collection of international mythology, though, so thank you to whoever brought up "Myths and Legends" (I think it was Gwenno?)!!!

small storytime because I'm in a talkative mood:
I actually heard of The Magnus Archives from ILoveMySocksAndSweater (not sure how active she still is in this forum), and thought "oh, that looks interesting! I'm not really into podcasts, but I bet you my friend who likes horror and podcasts will get into this soon enough!", and then said friend did just that. Forgot about it for a few months, until one day, in late summer this year, I was bored and decided "what the heck, I'll try it, join her in listening to it". I liked it! But not enough to continue listening when school started and things got busy. Cut to about a week before Halloween, I thought, "in the spirit of Spooky Season I'll listen to some more".
My friend, I listened to about 100 episodes in a couple days. It was very fun and I am obsessed now and very sad that there's only like 10 episodes left until the series ends. And very scared as to what will happen in the end, this is one of the most unpredictable stories I've ever consumed. Anyways, that was all a very long-winded way to say that I love The Magnus Archives SO MUCH and I'm very happy there's a significant amount of Fandom overlap on here and I highly recommend it and I welcome anyone to DM me and fangirl about it  :).
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2020, 02:20:59 PM »
Oh, look what a thread we have that I didn´t know was there!

I´m not all that much of a podcast-listener myself, but one I do like I can recommend:
It´s called "The wayward-guide for the untrained eye" and has actually an accompanying show on Youtube (same name, also free). It´s really cool because show and podcast tell different and more aspects of the story even though both of them work as seperate pieces as well (It´s always one episode show, then one episode podcast). It´s a horror-comedy (with werewolves) by the Tincanbros and will be completed in two weeks I think.
(It´s really really good you should check it out! Also the other works of Tincanbros and by extention Starkid, they´re amazing! But this is so far the only podcast they made I think...)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie: