Author Topic: SPAM-SSSS  (Read 31297 times)

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: SPAM-SSSS
« Reply #1350 on: January 17, 2018, 03:09:24 AM »
since there's already 3 people asking and it might inform your other decisions:
neither of the newcomers know about people with a caravan, and what physical descriptions you can give of the bike-riders or the dog doesn't seem to fit with someone from their group.
:chap5: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book2: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book3: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap18: :chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6:

thorny

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1351 on: January 17, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
Just to clarify: by "large caravan" you don't mean "a [large] group of travelers, as merchants or pilgrims, journeying together for safety in passing through deserts, hostile territory, etc."; you mean "a large covered vehicle for conveying passengers, goods"?

In other words, there are only two people visible, along with one closed vehicle that they're pulling?

-- I can see them wanting to pause and try to get a better look at us, rather than heading straight for the castle as fast as possible. While trolls and beasts are certainly a danger to them, they don't know whether we might also be a danger to them. So I don't think they'd have to be either loony or sinister to be making camp first at some distance.

Our food supply is still low; I'd rather not trade food to New Swan unless we get a lot more coming in before we go there. Do we owe them a kitten plus 12 units, and the kitten was valued at 10? Will our kittens be old enough to travel? I'm losing track. If the kittens are old enough to travel, we can bring them two kittens -- they said they'd like to have two -- plus one generic resource; that would at least cover what we owe them. I'm not sure what else we could bring them. I definitely agree that we should call them up on the radio.

More before Friday --

P__

« Reply #1352 on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
it is indeed option 2 (ish) : the kind of thing people attach to their cars when they go camping. A large one, and attached to two bicycles  instead of a car (must be quite hard to pull, but these people have strong legs). Sorry I didn't make that quite clear.

Regarding New Swan, you only owe them 12 food. They gave you 10 as an advance payment for a kitten, but their actual value was not decided. Depending on how things go, this may cover all or only part of the price to buy a kitten.
It was agreed that you wouldn't bring the kittens for this trade as they're probably too young to travel, but you can now discuss this by radio.
:chap18: :chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6:

thorny

• Ranger
« Reply #1353 on: January 17, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
Thanks for clarifications. If the kittens are still too young then we'd better not bring them yet.

Do we owe 12 food as food, or 12 food-equivalents some or all of which can be in some other form?

P__

« Reply #1354 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »
Food-equivalents, thanks for asking that's a good excuse for me to quote what they said they wanted as payment because they did indeed not want *food* for it.

They agree to do credit for up to 10 12 units, payable in resources, salt, seafood, cats or chickens only.

thorny

• Ranger
« Reply #1355 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
How many chickens have we got? and how much is a chicken worth?

-- if the kittens aren't old enough to go yet, we're going to be tight on even doing that, let alone on having enough to trade to be able to buy anything else. Even if we set up salt marshes this week, how long would they take to produce? -- we could try setting up the smokehouse, and hoping for a good seafood catch this week and/or next.

P__

« Reply #1356 on: January 18, 2018, 03:51:10 AM »
How many chickens have we got?
2 Hens, 1 rooster and 7 chicks of indeterminate gender.

and how much is a chicken worth?
All questions will be answered when next you discuss with New Swan.

Barring bad luck, the salt marshes could start producing the week after they're finished. Keep in mind that collecting the salt will take some work, though (if you're reasonably successful with the construction and the weather's fair, a Tertiary action should yield 2-3 units of salt)

thorny

• Ranger
« Reply #1357 on: January 18, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Wow, we've been getting an awful lot of eggs out of two chickens.

We obviously can't spare any adult chickens. We could maybe spare a couple of chicks. We should ask on the radio what baby chicks are worth, and what salt is worth. And describe the people in the caravan.

Maybe we should try for setting up the salt marshes, if we can do so on a bright sunny day and as close as possible to the castle.

Will try to get a more thorough vote in by tonight here, which will already be Friday some places.

thorny

• Ranger
« Reply #1358 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
OK better get a vote in --

Drill the militia.

Additional couple should keep trying to make babies.

02, convert food to fuel; and 07, keep the beacon going. Make a sacrifice only if we have very good fishing etc.

03, call New Swan on the radio; tell them we’ve got it going so will hold off on the hilltop beacon for a while. Discuss trades for two weeks from now including what they think baby chicks and/or salt and/or smoked fish or kelp would be worth. Describe both our New People and the Caravan people, and ask if any of them sound familiar. Do this at the beginning of the week, as results of the discussion may affect our other choices.

010, music/storytelling/etc evening.

— I’m inclined to wait a bit on using medical supplies for pregnancy tests etc, until we see what’s up with the caravan people, as maybe we’d be able to use part of a medical supply unit to test all new people for immunity. So not yet.

31: do the new people need to stay in quarantine another week, or have they already been there long enough? if they need to stay, bring them more light work. if not, let them out, but keep a discreet watch on them for a while, and on the radio to make sure they don’t make unauthorized calls.

32/33: Watch the people with the caravan, and hail them when they get close. If they want to come in, and if they seem plausible, put them and their dog into quarantine (especially if our current new people can come out now); but search the caravan before letting them bring it in, and separate them from any weapons. Don’t use items from the caravan without their permission, except to feed and otherwise maintain the caravan people or for an emergency, so long as the caravan people cooperate. If they insist on moving on without coming in, let them do that, but have the scouts keep an eye to try to make sure that they actually leave if so. — do not attack them unless they attack us first; but, if they do, then of course fight back. (And, if they attack us, whatever’s in their caravan becomes fair game, if we can take it.)

Hey, our options have increased! must be contributions to our workload from the new people.
But we’re also low on bullets, low on weapons in general, and under high troll pressure. But we also have to have something to trade in two weeks. Bah.

If we can do it in bright and sunny weather, and close to the castle so nobody needs to be outside at night, and if New Swan will pay something significant for salt: E2, set up salt marshes to harvest salt. Take two cats, at least one of them trained, but none of them pregnant or nursing; our one weapon and two of the explosives; and scouts and militia. That takes a major (and a resource, but maybe we can use the bull resource.) So in that case the only other thing we can do is a tertiary: and there’s not a lot of things we can do with only a tertiary. But we may not be doing a sacrifice for lack of good food supplies; so if we’re doing E2, then for the secondary wither F8 if Roisin’s ready to do so, or F5 as tertiary if not.

If weather is crappy and/or New Swan won’t pay much of anything for salt but will for smoked fish/kelp, then:
F2, make bullets, and E1, build a smokehouse; each as a secondary; except that if New Swan won't pay much for smoked fish/kelp, then F2 and E8, plant the herbs.

Róisín

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1359 on: January 19, 2018, 01:51:03 AM »
Anent the travellers being cautious: for all they know we might be Punch /the Raiders . I 'd be cautious in their place. Send a group of scouts out to them, maybe one to approach them under flag of truce, two to keep watch, and a cat with the person approaching both as an indicator that they are not infected if these people know about cats, and as a check on whether they and the dog are infected. And never underestimate the value of a cute kitty as a conversational icebreaker. 

Otherwise I think thorny has everything covered. 

If you like I can construct at least the outline of a suitable ritual. And come Spring, the search for bees just got more important, because for many of the Celtic gods the proper offering was honey, mead, music, flowers and fruit.  Also light and fire. Given where we are heather ale is a possibility once we have bees. Which would also give us a major trade good. I'm dropping in here a lot today, when the weather drives me indoors, but only in five minute increments, so I'll work on that tonight after market prep or Saturday night after market.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

P__

« Reply #1360 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:05 AM »
31: do the new people need to stay in quarantine another week, or have they already been there long enough? if they need to stay, bring them more light work. if not, let them out, but keep a discreet watch on them for a while, and on the radio to make sure they don’t make unauthorized calls.
They spent two full weeks in quarantine, so it'd be safe to think they're fine.

Hey, our options have increased! must be contributions to our workload from the new people.
Yep, I assumed you'd let them go out (I thought I'd mentioned it somewhere, but apparently I didn't. Well, you noticed so it's fine)

======

Twice a week might not leave quite enough time to finalize votes. If you wish I can push back this round a day or so. Otherwise, it will happen about 6 or 7 hours from now.

Róisín

« Reply #1361 on: January 19, 2018, 04:21:01 AM »
I meant to add: salt is important, so we should start on that as soon as we can. Trade goods, preservatives, generally useful. And it just occurred to me that a salt marsh in that part of the world will likely have other resources such as shellfish, birds and edible halophytes. Worth setting up a saltpan as soon as possible.

thorny

• Ranger
« Reply #1362 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
Glad we can let the new people out of quarantine. (For one thing, it'll make it a lot easier if we need to put the Caravan People in. And I think we could just put the dog in with them; it can be walked outside on leash with supervision if needed. But if so, use a good leash and a full harness, not just a collar.)

I like Róisín's idea for how to approach them if they don't come to us on their own; and will add that the approaching party should include at least one woman. ETA: both to reassure the caravan people that women are safe among us, and so that we can check whether they seem to treat her on an equal basis with men.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:34:18 AM by thorny »

Róisín

« Reply #1363 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
That's a good idea, thorny. Will reassure them if they need it and let us check their attitude. Just hope their dog is civilised around cats and strangers!

P__

« Reply #1364 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »
Welp. I forgot to do the round tonight, so tomorrow it is :torbjorn: