Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 228832 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
The Music Thread
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
What are you listening to?  This is where you can post links to songs, and talk about the music you like.
I'll start us off.  This is one of my favorite songs, so I'll just post this here!
Helios - Halving The Compass
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
After noticing your avatar I figured I'd listen to Chris Hadfield singing Space Oddity

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
Listening to Nightwish - I want my tears back

And I just figured out how to use links!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisOneGuy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »
I listen mainly to U2, but also to other rock bands, like for example Sonata Arctica (Which happens to be Finnish. Yey!).
My favourite songs from U2 are probably Window In the Skies and Pride (In the Name of Love).

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:41 AM »
I listen to all sorts of stuff! Indie mostly, some shoegazey post-rock stuff, swing, movie/game soundtracks :) Since everyone else also shared a song, here's one I like, by a Swedish electroswing/hip-hop band:

Movits! - Äppelknyckarjazz
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:42:31 AM »
Movits! - Äppelknyckarjazz

Name of the song looked so strange that I had to click it. It's not my cup of tea, but it was ok. BTW, how popular that band is? Million views seems much, or at least it would be much for a Finnish band.

Does anyone else listen to fan made music? Lately I have been listening to Miracle of Sound, who mainly makes songs about videogames.
Also, I like this Dark Souls song even if it's not my type of music: Lordvessel by Tanooki Suit

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:11 AM »
What are you listening to?  This is where you can post links to songs, and talk about the music you like.
I'll start us off.  This is one of my favorite songs, so I'll just post this here!
Helios - Halving The Compass

Thanks for introducing me to Helios! I have been listening through that album, loving everything.

I mostly listen game music and other instrumental BGMs, but my absolute favorite song right now is the main theme from How to Train your Dragon.

Newbornstranger

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
Does anyone else listen to fan made music? Lately I have been listening to Miracle of Sound, who mainly makes songs about videogames.
Also, I like this Dark Souls song even if it's not my type of music: Lordvessel by Tanooki Suit

Sure do. My favourite is both of the concept albums by the Protomen. They're both stories about the mega-man world, but they're great 80's style rock. I could imagine Meat Loaf or Queen playing most of these songs.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »
Sure do. My favourite is both of the concept albums by the Protomen. They're both stories about the mega-man world, but they're great 80's style rock. I could imagine Meat Loaf or Queen playing most of these songs.

That song sure is catchy! I'm not that familiar with Megaman so I don't know how well lyrics portray the games. I might listen more to these guys, I like singer's voice and that old style 80's (?) rock. Googled this band a bit, it seems they are quite successful. I wonder if there is more fan bands that have gotten popular.

Does anyone listen metal? More specifically folk metal? Well if you don't, then now is time to try it:
Turisas-The March of the Varangian guard
Turisas - The Bosphorus Freezes Over

Nimphy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

Does anyone listen metal? More specifically folk metal? Well if you don't, then now is time to try it:
Turisas-The March of the Varangian guard
Turisas - The Bosphorus Freezes Over

Yay, so I'm not the only one to listen to metal! I can't say I listen to folk metal specifically (more like symphonic and heavy metal), but I really liked those two songs, thanks!

... Hehe in real life when I say that I like metal I get so many Looks.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
Name of the song looked so strange that I had to click it. It's not my cup of tea, but it was ok. BTW, how popular that band is? Million views seems much, or at least it would be much for a Finnish band.

Seems to be relatively popular? They've released 3 albums since 2007 and I know one of their songs was featured on a popular American talk show, which may explain the high number of views.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »
Yay, so I'm not the only one to listen to metal! I can't say I listen to folk metal specifically (more like symphonic and heavy metal), but I really liked those two songs, thanks!

... Hehe in real life when I say that I like metal I get so many Looks.

You mean traditional heavy metal? Only symphonic metal bands I have listened to are Nightwish and Within Temptation. Can you recommend something you listen to me?

I'm not complete metal geek, who knows everything about all metal subgernes and bands. But I do enjoy lot of different bands from different subgernes. And I love folk music so folk metal is especially close to my heart.

Seems to be relatively popular? They've released 3 albums since 2007 and I know one of their songs was featured on a popular American talk show, which may explain the high number of views.

Thank you for more info! Are you Swedish yourself? If so, can you tell what's really popular in Sweden now?

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »

Thank you for more info! Are you Swedish yourself? If so, can you tell what's really popular in Sweden now?

Oh gosh no, I just happen to listen to a lot of Nordic music (It started with Mew way back in high school and went on from there). Seems like whenever I find a band I really like they turn out to be from there.

I'm originally from Russia but I've lived in Canada for about 14 years now.

Nimphy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
You mean traditional heavy metal? Only symphonic metal bands I have listened to are Nightwish and Within Temptation. Can you recommend something you listen to me?

I'm not complete metal geek, who knows everything about all metal subgernes and bands. But I do enjoy lot of different bands from different subgernes. And I love folk music so folk metal is especially close to my heart.

I'm absolutely not a metal geek either. I just like to listen to it quite often (but then again I never care about the genre of music. Classical, jazz, metal, rock, I just listen to it), and I'm the only one in my immediate circle of acquaintances.

Hmm, I really like Nightwish, but it seems you've already gotten to them. Blind Guardian and Therion are two bands I particularly like.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Oh gosh no, I just happen to listen to a lot of Nordic music (It started with Mew way back in high school and went on from there). Seems like whenever I find a band I really like they turn out to be from there.

I'm originally from Russia but I've lived in Canada for about 14 years now.

That's cool too. I don't know if this is rude to ask, but do you feel more Russian or Canadian? Equals?

Kind of odd that you end up liking Nordic music that much. I do listen to bands outside of Finland, but usually I like only, say, 3-4 songs per band. With Finnish bands it's different, they just "speak" more to me and I'm more likely to like their whole discography.

I can't recall any Canadian music. But there is some random Russian songs I like. My mother listens to Vladimir Vysotskij and I do like some of his songs. Have you noticed big differences between Russian, Nordic and Canadian music? There must be some.

Anyway, recommend something. :)  It doesn't matter if it's Russian, Nordic or Canadian. All new music is exciting!

I'm absolutely not a metal geek either. I just like to listen to it quite often (but then again I never care about the genre of music. Classical, jazz, metal, rock, I just listen to it), and I'm the only one in my immediate circle of acquaintances.

Hmm, I really like Nightwish, but it seems you've already gotten to them. Blind Guardian and Therion are two bands I particularly like.

Hey Nimphy! I will listen to those two bands and report back when I have an opinion about them.

I have never understood why genres are so important to so many people. I'm not saying that it's bad, but it just is something that I don't myself understand.  I usually don't know what genre I'm listening to, so all music seems equal to me. Good music is good, no matter what.

It's kind of funny when you say that nobody close to you cares about metal. It's quite different here. :D The ones who have never listened to metal are in minority.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:17:39 PM by Hedge14 »