Author Topic: Character Development: Mikkel  (Read 33544 times)

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
Re: Character Development: Mikkel
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
I remember reading either here or in comments about character spirit animals, and Mikkel was given "bear", because big strong whatnot, but if anything, i think the animal that describes him best- both in-universe and out-universe contexts- is the bull.

Sure he is strong, but most of what he does is move stuff, provide food, stay behind, moo sagely, maybe thwack a blunt horn at someone who gets too close.

So yeah, the thread is named Character Development, but i think its more fitting to be Character revalation. hes a grown man, i doubt he can get any meaningful development as much as he can help the youngsters get their own, while revealing the development he got.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
Sure he is strong, but most of what he does is move stuff, provide food, stay behind, moo sagely, maybe thwack a blunt horn at someone who gets too close.

XD I laughed way too hard at that (especially the "moo sagely" part) .... If we had upvotes on this forum, you would get mine!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:42 AM »
Well, when they were on the train and Emil asked if they wanted anything from the dining car, Tuuri said that Lalli "doesn't like anything". The only think we've seen him eat so far is a sandwich, as whenever the others were eating he was either too sick or asleep to join them.
Lalli likes cookies, though.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
I'm actually REALLY looking forward to the point  when the guys start growing facial hair; though I don't think Lalli could really grow much of anything, and I feel like Emil might just be able to grow out a mustache. But I'm only basing this on the amount of facial hair that 19yr olds in Canada can grow.

But I am hoping that Mikkel will have a beard at some point!

Hey now being scrawny doens't mean one can't grow a beard  :P, but i think Lalli would already have some facial hair at this point if he is going to grow any since im some what younger and having some stubble growing. It is not a pritty sight, but my big brothers magnificent beard gives me hope for a good future.

In terms of Lalli however i imagine he could grow a small one for the very least which could look nice and with the added benefit od actually knowing what gender he without confusion this seems like a win-win situation. Maybe after they realize that they are stuck in sjäelland we might get some *two months later* scenes.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »

In terms of Lalli however i imagine he could grow a small one for the very least which could look nice and with the added benefit od actually knowing what gender he without confusion this seems like a win-win situation. Maybe after they realize that they are stuck in sjäelland we might get some *two months later* scenes.

"Why does this girl have a beard?"
 ;D

But srs he might grow out a tiny barely visible one.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
I'm actually REALLY looking forward to the point  when the guys start growing facial hair; though I don't think Lalli could really grow much of anything, and I feel like Emil might just be able to grow out a mustache. But I'm only basing this on the amount of facial hair that 19yr olds in Canada can grow.

But I am hoping that Mikkel will have a beard at some point!

Yes! Mikkel with a beard, yes yes! As for amount of facial hair 19-year-olds can grow, in my experience what happens if they don't shave is frightening. I'd swear half the "teenagers" I know were actually youngish adults...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

P__

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
Yes! Mikkel with a beard, yes yes! As for amount of facial hair 19-year-olds can grow, in my experience what happens if they don't shave is frightening. I'd swear half the "teenagers" I know were actually youngish adults...
half.
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2015, 12:43:39 AM »
From page 269:

curiosity
Can't help but think that there's more to Mikkel than meets the eye, probably more than he'd like to show himself. I suppose farming doesn't require special education (as long as we speak about mundane job at least), but has he undergone any training to join army as a healer? And since he seems rather conversant with some things, how did he acquire that knowledge? While doing various jobs? Talking to educated fellows? Or maybe self-educating was his leisure? I am curious to find out eventually.

Sunflower 
I agree that there's a lot more to the big fella than meets the eye. Hopefully Minna will provide more backstory some day.

Meanwhile, I like to think it helps that Mikkel grew up on the Madsen family farm, which we know they had long before the Rash. I picture it as the kind of big, rambling place where interesting old things lurk in the corners (kind of like "mathoms" in hobbit-holes).

So the Madsen kids could have grown up playing with beat-up old golf clubs, reading Before-Time magazines, maybe being allowed to look things up in Oldefar's medical encyclopedia (eeeww!!!). At any rate, they'd have more cultural continuity with Before Times than people who had to become refugees, gun-slinging wanderers, isolated survivalists, etc.

Crazybean 
Mikkel's backstory is the one I am looking forward to most. I hope we get plenty of flashbacks. With his frequently changing jobs there's bound to be some story there. I'm picturing his young adult life less than happy. The longer it's not touched upon in canon the more tragic the backstory becomes in my imagination.

wolfie 
I think Mikkel is one of those jack-of-all-trades who knows little about a lot, because he was constantly doing different jobs. It makes you a creative problem solver and a quick thinker in many situations. About being a medic, maybe it is 'grannie knowledge' taught from generation to generation, if farms are far away from hospitals, you learn to fix wounds yourself with herbs and stuff?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:56:54 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2015, 05:36:10 AM »
I was wondering if, maybe, Mikkel is in fact a very smart guy, the sort who learns so fast that he can make the best of even the slightest education. Maybe he read a lot of books while on his family's farm and learnt something from them! It would explain why he found farming so boring.

Somebody like that can get tired of working with less clever, less well-educated people. Some become bad-tempered and impatient, some lay on the patience with a trowel - and some resort to making private jokes at the expense of other people's stupidity or ignorance. That might explain a lot about Mikkel.

Incidentally, Mikkel might not have needed to know beforehand what golf is. He might only have to skim through a book like "How to become a golf professional in 60 days" to realise it was describing a game.

I wait to see how Minna takes his character development!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:52 AM »
Incidentally, Mikkel might not have needed to know beforehand what golf is. He might only have to skim through a book like "How to become a golf professional in 60 days" to realise it was describing a game.
I think that theory nails it. Incidentally, there are a lot of golf courses on present day Bornholm. Even if they've been converted to farmland after the rash it wouldn't be surprising if either golf books, golf equipment or first hand knowledge of golf survived.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
It says on Sigrun's character page that she lives for the military and therefore is not that well educated, and it sates that thats not uncommon for military leaders. Could it be possible that Mikkel is literally too smart for his own good and showed up his bosses too many times?
Depends. It might be common for Norwegian military leaders, but do we know that Mikkel has ever served under any of those?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
He served under Admiral Olsen. While the good Admiral was sufficiently well-informed to know "face cancer" is not a thing, he did begin to shout out the team's secrets in a way that suggests lack of verbal impulse-control* - which would NOT endear him to a self-restrained type such as Mikkel!

* Also known as Foot-in-Mouth Syndrome or Prince Philip's Disease.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Laowai

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
Depends. It might be common for Norwegian military leaders, but do we know that Mikkel has ever served under any of those?

hmm, thats a good point. I read it at first as military leaders in general, not just Norwegian.

Although, it may just be my personal experience, but given what I know of "well-educated" military leaders today, it's still possible to me that Mikkel could out-smart them.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2015, 05:11:21 AM »
I wonder if Sigrun can read more than an elementary level. Maps yes, but a non-illustrated book?
There's no reason to conclude that she can't at this point, but her reading comprehension when it comes to Danish literature could very well be lacking.

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2015, 02:26:38 AM »
The opposite actually! I have a lot of trouble keeping a high enough body temperature, and I'm most comfortable in 80-90 degree (F) weather. That, however, is mostly unique to me--my sisters don't share my woes.

Is your normal temp just under normal (98?F)? I have for the most of my life run a temperature of 97.3?. I am also had problems absorbing enough iron. I usually have to take iron supplements at double the normal rate to get my iron content up to where it should be. When I do I start running a normal 98? temperature and don't have problems with being cold. A quick way to tell is to prick your finger and look at the color of your blood. If it is the color of deep red garnets you have enough iron. If it is the color of rubies you need to take iron supplements.