Author Topic: Character Development: Mikkel  (Read 33162 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Character Development: Mikkel
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
Do they? I don't recall we have actually seen them talk together.

They speak Danish and Norwegian respectively. If this comic is representing Scandinavian language relationships accurately they would have few problems understanding the other's mother tongue. Danish is less intelligible to Norwegians than Swedish, but still perfectly understandable (in fact we have several Danish lecturers at my University).

It will be more clear when the language info sheet is released.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
Oh, my assumption was Norwegian speakers had as many difficulty understanding Dannish as Swedish speaker do (and are indeed shown to in the comic, since Tuuri apparen't can't understand even a simple greating in Dannish).

But I guess that, yeah, Norwegian and Dannish are closer?

In that case, let's revise this:

Tuuri can understand and be understood by everyone.
Lalli can only understand and be understood by Tuuri.
Emil can understand Sigrun and Tuuri and be understood by by Sigrun, Mikkel and Tuuri.
Sigrun can understand and be understood by Emil, Mikkel and Tuuri.
Mikkel can understand Emil, Sigrun and Tuuri, but only be understood by Sigrun and Tuuri.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
Okay, to be honest it just depends a lot on the people in question when it comes to danish. Some danes are better at making themselves understood and some norwegians (and probably swedes) find it easier to understand danish. It's hard to generalise.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
Oh, my assumption was Norwegian speakers had as many difficulty understanding Dannish as Swedish speaker do (and are indeed shown to in the comic, since Tuuri apparen't can't understand even a simple greating in Dannish).

But I guess that, yeah, Norwegian and Dannish are closer?

In that case, let's revise this:

Tuuri can understand and be understood by everyone.
Lalli can only understand and be understood by Tuuri.
Emil can understand Sigrun and Tuuri and be understood by by Sigrun, Mikkel and Tuuri.
Sigrun can understand and be understood by Emil, Mikkel and Tuuri.
Mikkel can understand Emil, Sigrun and Tuuri, but only be understood by Sigrun and Tuuri.

If you are referring to Emil's assertion about the incomprehensibility of Danish then keep in mind that Emil is defined by being arrogant and uncooperative. A little goodwill and cooperativeness helps a lot.

Tuuri speaks Swedish as a second language. I've heard that people who learn a Scandinavian second language have a much harder time dealing with the other two languages than people who've grown up speaking a Scandinavian language.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:37:57 AM by Fimbulvarg »

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »
Norwegian speakers are generally given pause by a Dane speaking freely, but it mostly is a case of "getting used to" there. I remember Norwegian Cartoon Network airing Danish-dubbed commercials for kids products and such.
I was generally able to understand it even as a kid, but a thick accent(like the Bornholm accent apparently is) would basically be incomprehensible to the untrained ear.

There's also the possibility of Norwegians not being quite so good at understanding other languages in year 90 because Norwegian itself has basically lost 90% of its linguistic diversity.
Current-day Norwegians are generally used to being exposed to a wide variety of thick accents, but year 90 Norwegians may not be.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:43:46 PM by BrainBlow »

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Because I have no discipline, I spent an hour making this instead of doing productive things like working and stuff.
But, it might be useful? Info taken from Rollo's post and then revised after the other replies...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:44:08 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
Because I have no discipline, I spent an hour making this instead of doing productive things like working and stuff.
But, it might be useful? Info taken from Rollo's post and then revised after the other replies...

This is terrific!  Pictures really do help clarify!  But would it be possible for you to shrink the graphic a little?  I'm having to scroll nearly 1/3 its width on my antique little Mac screen.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »
This is terrific!  Pictures really do help clarify!  But would it be possible for you to shrink the graphic a little?  I'm having to scroll nearly 1/3 its width on my antique little Mac screen.

I edited my post, it should be smaller now!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 02:14:34 AM »
A good sketch is word a thousand words, right ? This one is VERY good !
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:59 AM »
Sigrun and Mikkel can be seen conversing in today's page so I suppose that settles the question.

Great work. It really puts things into perspective. So what we have is a quartet of understanding in the middle (Emil, Sigrun, Tuuri and Mikkel) with Lalli and possibly Braidy as outliers. So much for Icelandic being the next world language of communication. This only concerns ability to communicate though; Tuuri won't be able to listen in on Mikkel if he converses with the other two Scandinavians.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:55 AM »
...Because I think we can now give up any hopes of Sigrun filling the parental role.
Dunno, she sure got the RPM for a helicopter mom. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
A further thought about Mikkel: He's the guy who apparently has read up on the rest of the team - and Sigrun hasn't!

SO: he exhibits care, forethought and attention to detail. I like that in a medic!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 10:29:56 AM »
A further thought about Mikkel: He's the guy who apparently has read up on the rest of the team - and Sigrun hasn't!

SO: he exhibits care, forethought and attention to detail. I like that in a medic!

Well ... She clearly knew Lalli was the mage, so she must have some sort of overview. It's the attention to detail that is lacking.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »

He reminds me of a bear (if talking about appearance). He's analyzing the prey!

Or he's a care bear.

On a serious side, yes, I noticed that too. Mikkel seems to have read the others' profiles and paid attention, enough to remember Lalli's language abilities. I wonder if Sigrun read them at all (she knew Lalli was a mage, but she might have been told by Trond, or just glanced at the file to know each member's abilities.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »
Or, indeed, Sigrun might have recognised Lalli's uniform?
My one-and-only: :uk: