Author Topic: Character Development: Mikkel  (Read 33088 times)

illuvatar

• How 'bout I do anyway?
Re: Character Development: Mikkel
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
At this point in the comic we're all pretty informed when it comes to the origins of most of the main characters, however I've noticed that we don't know much about Mikkel's backstory (except for the fact he has many siblings on Bornholm) or how he became enlisted in the expedition aside from Trond enlisting him out of the blue. He seems to be well-versed in many things, for instance correcting Emil (the supposed academic) on a book in Chinese. Is this just a result of him moving through jobs or is it something else?

I'm curious about his origins and if you guys have any theories about him
Native: :england:
Intermediate: :germany: :sweden: :spain:
Beginner: :poland:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
At this point in the comic we're all pretty informed when it comes to the origins of most of the main characters, however I've noticed that we don't know much about Mikkel's backstory (except for the fact he has many siblings on Bornholm) or how he became enlisted in the expedition aside from Trond enlisting him out of the blue. He seems to be well-versed in many things, for instance correcting Emil (the supposed academic) on a book in Chinese. Is this just a result of him moving through jobs or is it something else?

I'm curious about his origins and if you guys have any theories about him

I think that there's a theory going around that Mikkel is a spy/agent for the Council, all hush-hush and secretive, and that his mission was to find out scientific things the Old World left behind.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
I think that there's a theory going around that Mikkel is a spy/agent for the Council, all hush-hush and secretive, and that his mission was to find out scientific things the Old World left behind.

There were also a theory that he was send to sabotage the expedition, because Council feared that sucsess would led to a renewed push for reclamation. ;) But, this theory seems to be disproved... by now)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
There were also a theory that he was send to sabotage the expedition, because Council feared that sucsess would led to a renewed push for reclamation. ;) But, this theory seems to be disproved... by now)

If we wanted to go down that route, maybe he was sent to sabotage the expedition, but switched sides once he got to know his companions?
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »

I always figured it was a stretch: after all, it's practically doomed already, and given the precarious situation they'd be in if anything went wrong, it'd be likely Mikkel would die along with the crew. Mikkel doesn't strike me as the sort of person to give his life for anything.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 02:27:07 AM »
I always figured it was a stretch: after all, it's practically doomed already, and given the precarious situation they'd be in if anything went wrong, it'd be likely Mikkel would die along with the crew. Mikkel doesn't strike me as the sort of person to give his life for anything.

Or at least not since the Kastrup Disaster.  It seems plausible to me that once there might have been a vein of conviction within the character of the deadpan, rather cynical jokester. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2017, 03:53:01 AM »
Agreed, Sunflower. Mikkel comes across to me as the sort of idealist who grows bitter, cynical and world-weary when those ideals are crushed. And maybe this crew have stirred that idealism again....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
Agreed, Sunflower. Mikkel comes across to me as the sort of idealist who grows bitter, cynical and world-weary when those ideals are crushed. And maybe this crew have stirred that idealism again....

Yeah, I get that read on Mikkel as well.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
As to not being ready to give his life for anything, let's recall that he was about to dive in to (try to) help Sigrun against the sjodraug.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Or at least not since the Kastrup Disaster.  It seems plausible to me that once there might have been a vein of conviction within the character of the deadpan, rather cynical jokester.
Agreed, that is often the case. 
Indulge me a moment, I just happen to have drawn this for InkTober, but I think it belongs here as well. 
Spoiler: "The recruitment of mikkel madsen" • show

The "scheming mountain monkey" strikes again?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
I wonder, how does Mikkel feel about being the promoter of Lalli and Emil staying behind on their own (against Sigrun's wishes, btw), now that they're supposed dead?
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2017, 01:19:14 AM »
I wonder, how does Mikkel feel about being the promoter of Lalli and Emil staying behind on their own (against Sigrun's wishes, btw), now that they're supposed dead?

Mmmm, yeah, good point.  I assume, however, that he's long since come to terms with the fact that he's made some 'poor life choices.' Such either go the full denial route, or shrug and move on, or try not to let the topic come up lest they have a clothes-rending crisis of apology.** Have we seen any examination or admission of error? The closest incident I can remember was Mikkel telling Emil that he made up the concept of 'face cancer.'  That incident leads me to believe that he takes the shrug & move on approach.

**I am put in mind of the Fawlty Towers episode where hapless Manuel starts operaticaaly singing, "Myyyyy Mistake, I have Maaaaade My Mistaaaaake!"

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
The closest incident I can remember was Mikkel telling Emil that he made up the concept of 'face cancer.'  That incident leads me to believe that he takes the shrug & move on approach.

Mmmh, yeah, or when he picked up Lalli in the clinic and admitted he misread the situation...
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2019, 06:54:48 PM »
(Please pardon the thread necromancy.)
I love the description in Mikkel's new character page - Profession: Miscellaneous

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:27 AM »
It's on his Adventure I character file as well, but after "Farmer" and "Healer". But now having only that part is kind of funny.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.