Author Topic: Musician Talk  (Read 21483 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Musician Talk
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
I quite like the Newfie accent. Especially in singing.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »
I was at the beach today and I saw the remnants of a bird carcass washed up in the waves and my brain immediately jumped into poetry mode except this time it decided to put it to a melody. And I recorded it. It's only about 10 seconds long, and I cannot guarantee that my singing is any good, but it isn't awful, and there are appropriate crow noises at the end if you listen hard enough (the crows' contribution, not mine).

https://soundcloud.com/user-621540133/dead-bird
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
Clever. And there is nothing wrong with your voice!

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
I was at the beach today and I saw the remnants of a bird carcass washed up in the waves and my brain immediately jumped into poetry mode except this time it decided to put it to a melody. And I recorded it. It's only about 10 seconds long, and I cannot guarantee that my singing is any good, but it isn't awful, and there are appropriate crow noises at the end if you listen hard enough (the crows' contribution, not mine).

https://soundcloud.com/user-621540133/dead-bird
oo, that sounds like an excellent start to a possibly longer song!

*percussion nerd rant mode on*
today as a band assignment, I watched a two hour long video about Percussion!! And it was actually really fun!!!! My personal highlights of new knowledge:
- So many fun percussion words like paradiddle, paradiddlediddle, zzot, ratamascue, flam, and pataflafla
- Learned there's at least 26 drum rudiments to learn (thats a loooot)
- who knew there were so many different ways to play a triangle? or a tambourine?
- apparently the chimes part in the 1812 overture is never loud enough
- even if you're not interested in watching the whole demonstration thing (which i wouldn't blame you for, I only did it for school and found it interesting after I started. Never mind how darn long it is :))), there's a very cool performance at 1:34:20

Anyways, for anyone who's interested enough, here 'tis the video:
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fluffyfinance

• Super-Newbie
  • Young and stupid, but learning.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
Keep looking, wow, that sounds really cool!
Laugh it off, sure, but not always. Sometimes you really just need a good cry.

I have wayyy too many inside jokes.

Fluffyfinance

• Super-Newbie
  • Young and stupid, but learning.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2020, 08:52:24 PM »
oo, that sounds like an excellent start to a possibly longer song!

*percussion nerd rant mode on*
today as a band assignment, I watched a two hour long video about Percussion!! And it was actually really fun!!!! My personal highlights of new knowledge:
- So many fun percussion words like paradiddle, paradiddlediddle, zzot, ratamascue, flam, and pataflafla
- Learned there's at least 26 drum rudiments to learn (thats a loooot)
- who knew there were so many different ways to play a triangle? or a tambourine?
- apparently the chimes part in the 1812 overture is never loud enough
- even if you're not interested in watching the whole demonstration thing (which i wouldn't blame you for, I only did it for school and found it interesting after I started. Never mind how darn long it is :))), there's a very cool performance at 1:34:20

Anyways, for anyone who's interested enough, here 'tis the video:
/>

That is so epic! I used to take drumming lessons but I quit because I was pretty young and wanted to focus on the piano. I had no idea there were so many techniques and fun words like that though! I'm going to have to watch this when I can find the time :D
Laugh it off, sure, but not always. Sometimes you really just need a good cry.

I have wayyy too many inside jokes.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
Every year at the NZ National Contest for brass bands (well, not this year) there is also a solo competition, with musicians competing within their instrument (cornet, baritone, euphonium, etc), and percussionists have to present three different apparatuses.  Then there is a Champion of Champions event, with the top soloists for each instrument competing against one another.

The brass band Champion of Champions over the last few years has often been a percussionist (much to the chagrin of all those *brass* players).  She usually contests CoC on marimba, but once I saw her do a full 8-minute piece on a single snare drum, using the drum, frame, floor, drumsticks, and her own body.  She is not a music professional, she's in med school. 

Percussion rules.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2020, 04:07:57 PM »
Every year at the NZ National Contest for brass bands (well, not this year) there is also a solo competition, with musicians competing within their instrument (cornet, baritone, euphonium, etc), and percussionists have to present three different apparatuses.  Then there is a Champion of Champions event, with the top soloists for each instrument competing against one another.

The brass band Champion of Champions over the last few years has often been a percussionist (much to the chagrin of all those *brass* players).  She usually contests CoC on marimba, but once I saw her do a full 8-minute piece on a single snare drum, using the drum, frame, floor, drumsticks, and her own body.  She is not a music professional, she's in med school. 

Percussion rules.

Woah, that's so cool with the snare! one of of the delightful things about percussion iS that it's so very versatile; you can use almost anything (like not using only the snare head, but also the surroundings and other parts of the instrument). Heh, that does sound quite vexing to the brass players, though (especially if she's training for the medical field, not to be a musician-- she's got talent for that only being a hobby!)
in other news: i found an old harmonica, and have decided that learning how to play it can be my new quarantine past time!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »
Woah, that's so cool with the snare! one of of the delightful things about percussion iS that it's so very versatile; you can use almost anything (like not using only the snare head, but also the surroundings and other parts of the instrument). Heh, that does sound quite vexing to the brass players, though (especially if she's training for the medical field, not to be a musician-- she's got talent for that only being a hobby!)
in other news: i found an old harmonica, and have decided that learning how to play it can be my new quarantine past time!

Oooo, mournful solo harmonica is a very fitting soundtrack for quarantine!

Also, Rachel as a GP: breaks into an uncontrollable giggle when she needs to test a patient's reflexes...

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
My dad used to play the harmonica. I loved to listen to him, times he was home, at night when I was going to sleep. He played a lot of things like waltzes and opera tunes, as well as folk music. I think hearing him play ‘Belle nuit, o nuit d’amour’ (the Barcarolle from ‘Tales of Hoffman’) was what sparked a taste for opera. And a harmonica is really good for jazz and blues.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
I, uh, hello...

I never know how to start posts...

Anyway: I managed to finish my first complete song today/yesterday technically, shh/ - a feet I am actually really proud of:

>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/we81eg2f5y3p0kd/Life.mp3?dl=0 <<<

(the windchime samples are from, let's see:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeNgQLxwkV8TqEyxG_q60Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCASiqmfYr9dXqZAdap8AfcQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiIJK9wQDAvc2MByAltv2jA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpt6EQ7D-h6jMwRENZOlwOA
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfRnzRi89c)

It's the background music for a part of a fic I'm writing (or should write and did music for instead, whoops), which is a montage/timeskip section.

Okay, bye! *hides*
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
😱I'm shook! that's sO cool!!!!!! I love the, is that bongos?, percussion!! and the strings and flute melody!!!! aaAH!!!!!! Don't hide, I want more  XoX

Róisín

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
What Alkia said! That is lovely!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2020, 08:55:34 PM »
It's a really lovely piece of music!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2020, 09:36:36 PM »
I hereby promise to come back and listen to these after the "live" streaming of the Australian brass band championship is over.