Author Topic: Character Development: Sigrun  (Read 16502 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Character Development: Sigrun
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
You know, it does make sense to me...

Sigrun strikes me as a very theatrical sort of person. She likes people! She likes being around people! She ESPECIALLY likes being seen and heard by people! ("You're so tall!" "I like you already!") And so the things she does are somewhat informed by the assumption that she has an audience--she's like the class clown, except she's not stuck with just playing for laughs. She likes attention ("Inside voice, sweetie."), and she'll happily play to one role or another to get that attention and show herself in the most positive possible light.

So yeah, if she were on her own, she'd probably run full speed ahead. Why not? I suspect she's skillful enough as a hunter to come through pretty well even if she's horrifyingly reckless.

But ah, when life makes you the commanding officer over a naive, starstruck little kidling--one must take that for all it's worth!

That *absolutely* makes sense to me.  A lot of schools I've seen have the big kids "buddy" the little kids for a similar reason -- when you're 11 years old, you might do a lot of stupid things if left to your own devices.  But when there's a defenseless little kindergartner looking up at you with big, awed eyes, you've got more motivation to act like A Role Model.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:20:14 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 04:00:22 AM »
Both of you have written out what I wanted to express, I think - great team work  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

woolly socks

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »
As many people have pointed out, I don't think Sigrun is incompetent at all. She's a captain, she's seen action, she knows first-hand just what they're up against and how horrifying it can get. She knows that as captain, if she ****s up, people will die horribly.

I think that her natural character just is really, uh, energetic to the point of being overcharged. Maybe it's a more general survival tactic with the Norwegians; life is so hard that you have to have a CHAAARGE AT IT attitude to pull through and keep going and go to yet another and another and another mission and take the damage and recover and go again. Definitely she likes attention and loudness and trolling people and bossing them around, is brash and straightforward and has a rough sense of humour bordering on hazing. She doesn't mean ill, but is accidentally rude and probably disrespects the heck out of useless civilians.

It's interesting how she assumes Lalli can't even read a map but at the same time is curious about him and seems to fully trust his ability to fulfill his orders. She's used to things getting done when she gives the word. She's used to orders being OBEYED and her team being trustworthy, I think, which is why she can joke about it and doesn't stress about attaining the authority through shouting or being strict.

I think she really loves adventure and gets a kick out of danger and getting out of tough spots alive and facing improbable odds AND BEATING THEM HELL YEAH TAKE THAT MOTHERF*CKER TELL YO MOMMA I SAID HI. I can't wait to see her in action. I have no doub't she'll heroically take down something huge with rash recklessness about her own welfare and Tuuri will start to worship her even more.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:13:06 AM by woolly socks »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »
It's so cute how she had a consoling (or attention-getting) hand on Tuuri's shoulder in panel 4 of page 220!  The Captain and her "little pal" -- awwww.  That is totally not how Admiral Olsen or Trond would play it -- or even Taru, probably.

Edit:

I totally agree with woolly socks' estimation.  HELL YEAH TAKE THAT MOFO TELL YO' MOMMA I SAID HI.  How on earth did you become so fluent in Jive?  Does American hip-hop have a broader reach into the Nordic lands than I thought?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:09:59 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »
Re: Sigrun's comment on p. 221 that scouts work alone -- "Even if you offer to tag along, they just run away from you!  As if you're some crazy lady!"

Betty Adams
Does anyone else get the idea that Sigrun is speaking from personal experience?
In the defense of the scouts who appear to have fled her presence I cannot imagine the necessary stealth and patience that is required to keep them alive being a part of her skill set.

Sunshine 
I got that impression as well! Not only did she seem quite bitter about it all, but her decision to use the term "crazy lady" rather than "crazy person" makes me feel like she's had some experience with scouts who didn't want her tagging along. Which, since Sigrun seems like a very curious and adventurous person, I can see how that would offend her.

On the other hand, though, you're right in that she probably doesn't have the necessary patience and ability to keep quiet that comes with the job.

Sigrid Marie
Maybe that's because you are a crazy lady, Sigrun

Lars_B 
awww Sigrun is not crazy... she is enthusiastically sane (like so many Norwegians I know).  It's just that her and the scouts' version of stealth differ slightly... while they go for "not detected" I think she is more of the "leave no witnesses behind" type of girl... same goal, she just uses a bit more ammo.
=)

Sigrid Marie 
I guess I'll join the group of "enthusiastically sane Norwegians", then. I somehow feel like I would fit in there...

Tsk tsk, scouts, just because you think being stealthy means being all sneaky and quiet and stuff doesn't mean that you have the right to exclude Sigrun simply for having a different opinion
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:47:41 AM by Sunflower »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
From p. 228, where Sigrun is asking Emil about his troll-killing experience:

Zouzam
I really love Sigrun's face in the panel [#7] where's she's talking to Emil. There's something about her smile that's really genuine and reassuring.

hushpiper 
I can't help but think the soldiers under her must love her to bits. Sure her recklessness terrifies cautious persons like poor Mikkel, but look at her going all warm and encouraging for the awkward teenaged newbie who just wants to impress her!

Lars_B 
and it looks like she leads by example... that really works!

Sharion 
I hope we'll see some flashbacks of *her* rookie days. :D

drill sergeant *walking up and down, holding a speech*: "...and so, we're here on the site. I'm sure most of you are anxious by now. Don't forget: even in the midst of limb-tearing battle, always be cautious, but never surrender! It's not a game, but not impossible either to...! Where's Sigrun?"
other soldier: "I think she started without us."

Lars_B 
most precious X-mas gift
Stuffed Troll or Play Assault Rifle?

??????? ????????? 
it's a set, so not 'or' but 'and'

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 01:33:12 AM »
Hmm... the way Sigrun snaps at Emil on the recent page led me to some speculation- clearly it was an impulsive exclamation, but I'm just wondering...

1. Could it be a sign of how absolutely seriously she takes the expedition? That she gets so irritated that Emil "broke" the book because books are so important to the mission? Obviously there are dozens of other books on the shelf right by them, maybe she was planning to treat every single book like a sacred text. Also might note how she says on the previous page that it's "practically money in your hands."
2. ...Or that she's just used to working with people who are super careful and professional? Also, her comment suggests that she would not have "broken" the book had she handled it herself, when clearly Emil had done nothing wrong (but she knew her was inexperienced).
3. ...or she is secretly not fond of Swedes.  :D

...or I just look too far into small things. I was known to do this in my AP Lit class.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:52:28 AM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Deirdre

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 02:22:14 AM »
Ad. 2, I'd say it's most probable, except I also see it as that kind of irritation on someone breaking things characteristic for other people usually breaking things. And I don't want to suggest Sigrun is not professional, but her energy and enthusiasm... can lead to many situations.

Or I am just overanalysing, being pretty scatty myself...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 03:19:55 AM »
Ad. 2, I'd say it's most probable, except I also see it as that kind of irritation on someone breaking things characteristic for other people usually breaking things. And I don't want to suggest Sigrun is not professional, but her energy and enthusiasm... can lead to many situations.

Or I am just overanalysing, being pretty scatty myself...

Huh, interesting. Kinda selfish of her if you think of it that way - scolding someone for breaking things when you break things yourself all the time. Adding the "you ham-fisted Swede" part made me think that she wasn't used to being scolded for breaking things, because it's not like her fellow Norwegians would call her a "ham-fisted Norwegian"... but I dunno. It's very late, I can't get my thoughts together.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »
Eh, tbh I interpreted that more as an outgrowth of her naturally effusive personality than anything. Go into treasure box > find shiny valuable thing > shiny valuable thing falls to dust > OUTBURST OF FRUSTRATION!!1!

After all, she's very much not the sort to censor herself. Or worry about others' feelings / reactions to her. At all. :P

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
Eh, tbh I interpreted that more as an outgrowth of her naturally effusive personality than anything. Go into treasure box > find shiny valuable thing > shiny valuable thing falls to dust > OUTBURST OF FRUSTRATION!!1!

After all, she's very much not the sort to censor herself. Or worry about others' feelings / reactions to her. At all. :P

Heheh, see what comes out of my head when it's late at night? Overspeculation!
Oh, I know, that definitely had a lot to do with it. I was paying attention to, more specifically, what she said than the fact that she outburst at all. It's not like I was expecting her to censor herself. And thus, since she didn't censor herself, some version of her "true feelings" (for lack of a better phrase) came out...? It made me think "Does she talk to everyone like that??", just because it seemed particularly harsh to me.

Crazybean

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Well it wasn't nice, but also relatable as an "outcry of frustration". Who hasn't snapped at someone in a moment of anger? Sigrun also quickly concedes the point and realizes it wasn't Emil's fault. So points to her.
How Emil is taking it is a different matter. With his constant worrying about what everyone thinks of him it might seem more harsh to him than it is. But that's speculation for the Emil thread.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
I actually thought that with the alliteration, and how it could've been a lot worse, that it was pretty tame for Sigrun and maybe a little bit endearing? Maybe...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 10:46:30 PM »
I dunno, I'm probably wrong.(again, I blame my old lit teacher, overanalysis could've been the name of the class, but ignore me) Hadn't seen her snap like that before so it seemed harsh to me (not that she would think it was harsh herself, clearly she didn't). It's not like Emil was hurt by the comment, anyway. And I'm not saying it wasn't for comedic effect, either; I thought it was kind of funny myself.

Deirdre

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 07:04:31 AM »
It seems from the latest page she noticed it might be a bit too harsh. Sigurn's reassuring and kind behaviour is what I really love seeing. :)