Author Topic: Key posts by Minna through the comments and on twitch  (Read 108079 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Archive - Key posts by Minna through the comments
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
Q.: If winter is the safest season, how come the next adventure is set in the warmer part of the year, or does the crew have no choice except to go?
A. (1:00:10): They have no choice. Kinda. Well, you’ll see. It’s mostly because of circumstances.
I guess those Danish book-buyers are going to get a bit rabid about the meager loot they brought back ... :3

A. (4:36:20): Yeah, [Onni]’s definitely going to be spending more time in the comic with the crew. I guess, uh, he and Reynir are going to have to work some things out. Other than that, he and Mikkel are gonna have some interesting interactions.
Considering that, as far as we know, Onni only speaks Finnish and Icelandic, that selection isn't too surprising ... ;)

A. (0:19:07): [...] What kind of hobbies do people have in times when there’s no video games or comic books?
... golf? >:D

A. (3:17:43): [...] I feel like they actually grow bananas, like in actual greenhouses in Iceland. I feel like that’s something that the guides said about, that they actually sell domestic bananas in Iceland. [...]
... yeeeeesssss ...

Q.: Does that mean puns wouldn’t work in the Dreamworld?
A. (2:48:00): Aaah, we’re getting too specific! If I say “no” then people who want to write fanfiction with puns won’t be able to do it, so I can’t answer that question.
Yeah, let's leave that punspecified. >:D

Thank you, everyone who worked on compiling this :) and Talimee for organizing it into categories
From me, too!
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2018, 06:44:16 PM »
... yeeeeesssss ...
Holy crap someone show this to Reynir
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »
Once again, so many thanks to those who contribute to compiling these transcripts!

(And wow, Estonians!  Canon Estonians!   XoX )
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
I'll cover for Talimee if you don't mind.

chatlog_250818

Trolls

Spoiler: show
Q.: Do the Notoros speak Danish?
A. (0:04:54): Yes, that’s what they would be speaking.

Q.: You mentioned before that certain trolls mutate in similar ways if they catch the same strain/are exposed to similar conditions during their mutation. In that case, do you know what circumstances led to the formation of the dusklings and/or the weird jelly-stilt trolls?
A. (1:04:35): I haven’t thought about the jelly-stilt trolls other than, you know, they looked kind of creepy and cool so I wanted to draw them, but dusklings developed from being in the cellar, how do you say it, basement? That had little windows that would shine in a little bit of light during the day so they would have to grow that stuff on there back to be comfortable. That’s what I was thinking, at least. It’s not, like, super specific or scientific.

Q.: Is there a specific ratio between people who contract the Rash and die versus contracting it and turning into a troll? Are they just the results of different strains?
A. (1:07:29): Yeah, I think I specified some ratio at some point? I don’t remember what it was, though; it was less than 50% at least, most people would mutate in a way that they died before they became something that could live.

Q.: Will our crew be encountering any spitter-type trolls at some point in the future?
A. (1:12:05): Maybe. It really only depends on where I want to take the story and what kind of scenes I draw. So if there’s a scene that calls for a spitter troll to make it work out then they will encounter it.

Q.: Have you ever come up with any stories for who or what some of the trolls encountered in the comic used to be before contracting the Rash?
A. (1:47:06): Sometimes I just kinda think super basic things like did they have a family and what age were they and stuff like that but they usually don’t come up with in depth personalities or stories. Or you know, maybe I think “Oh, this was an office worker” and you know, for some reason they decided that the office was the place where they wanted to weather the storm, so to speak.

Q.: What do you think of the name Flini for the creature lurking? It has a weird origin, I pitched it earlier. Flin = grin in Swedish and then combined with the Russian variety of pancake, Blini. Not complicated, just silly. Thoughts?
A. (4:58:00): Pretty good! Yeah, I approve. For me it is Tapeworm I can’t stop thinking of that it’s Tapeworm right now, but Flini is definitely a good name, less gross than mine.

Q.: (about the troll in the drawing) Just what is that thing in the water?
A. (1:26:10): Well, it is a- [laugh]; I think it’s a former seal that has become a little bit bloated and extra toothy.

Q.: Is its tongue sticking out?
A. (5:48:55): Yep, right here, but its tongue is not sticking out, its lower jaw is sticking out, its tongue is exactly where it’s supposed to be.

Q.: Have you seen "the thing"? Are the Monsters inspired by that?
A. (5:49:58): Yes, that’s a pretty large source of inspiration and one of my favourite movies.

Q.: I just got here, is this fishie based on the Chernobyl catfish?
A. (5:50:14): Is that a real thing? I’ll have to Google that later, haha. No it’s not based on it, I didn’t even know what it was, but it sounds awesome. I’ll definitely have to google it, it sounds horrifying.

Characters

Main Cast

Q.: Why was Emil washing Lalli in that scene in the 7th chapter (which, according to your words, wasn't supposed to be fan service)? Why couldn't Lalli wash himself?
A. (0:07:13): Well, because when you decontaminate someone, you can’t really count on someone being able to to wash their back properly and behind their ears and everything, there has to be another person supervising the procedure.

Q.: In the most recent comic did Lalli really think he'd be able to catch Emil?
A. (0:10:07): Maybe for a moment, and then, when he saw Emil falling, he decided “nope, not going to happen.”

Q.: Who overall is stronger, Emil or Reynir?
A. (sometime before 0:24:00?): I think they had that resolved in the bonus comic with arm-wrestling. I think Reynir was stronger than Emil, which would make sense him being a shepherd and carrying around sheep from time to time while Emil used to be a potato. I guess this is the way one would describe him, his past life [viewers then checked the bonus comic and determine that Emil beat Reynir at arm-wrestling, which Minna acknowledges. He was third strongest.] Well then, there’s the answer.

Q.:  If the Crew was fruits/vegetables which would they be?
A. (0:27:00): I don’t know! I don’t like fruits or vegetables! I don’t know what anything tastes like or is supposed to be. The only thing I know is that people spend way too much money on avocados and stuff because it’s cool to eat these days and it’s super expensive? But the only thing I will really eat because I need to get vitamins is frozen blueberries and sometimes I eat a banana. I’m kind of allergic to every fruit and vegetable to some degree. Like, it has to be frozen and then thawed out or boiled until it’s basically ruined for me to eat it without getting swollen gums and itchy ears and stuff, so I tend to avoid them. Avocados are good? I mean, I’ve heard they have, like, good fat or something. You know, I watch people scooping out that white stuff inside and it just looks disgusting.

Q.: It’s supposed to be green :U
A. (0:30:14): The inside of an avocado, you mean? I guess, I can’t actually tell what the color is, super light I think?

Q.: By the way, is Kissa out there in the art? I'm constantly trying to move the Manga Studio window to the right to see cheering crew on the other side of the water xDD
A. (0:33:25): Yes, she is right there. Very unhappy, because, obviously, she doesn’t like the big fish, heheh.

Q.: I have a question about summer art (you know, Ice-cream Tragedy art). If Onni was present, what he would be doing and wearing? xD
A. (0:41:26): That’s a tricky question since my initial answer would be that he would never go to the beach. But if he was forced there, for some reason I feel he would be fighting with the cafeteria people about something. They would get his order wrong, and he would be scowling at them and complaining. And then he would eventually come over to Sigrun and Mikkel and sit there, just being scowling and quiet and making them uncomfortable.

Q.: If Tuuri was part of the Summer Fun Time picture, what would she be doing?
A. (0:43:24): She would be making a sandcastle, and Reynir would accidentally step on it.

Q.: Why was Lalli so angry in the summer picture?
A. (0:47:00): Well he doesn’t want to be on the beach, and he’s annoyed that other people are having fun when he’s not enjoying himself.
Q.: Ok, so to expand on the idea of Lalli liking McDonald's; if he could go to a McDonald's, what would he eat/do there?
A. (0:58:12): I’m not really sure what they have at McDonald’s? The only thing I ever buy there when I very rarely, like once a year go to McDonald’s, are the McNuggets. I guess he would eat some hamburgers, like cheeseburgers or something. I’m not a McDonald’s expert. I do love McDonald’s, though! They have the best chicken nuggets.

Q.: What kind of occupations do you think the crew would have in a setting where the Rash didn't destroy the world?
A. (1:43:33): I’ve actually been thinking of doing a short comic sometime, you know, not soon, about the crew in an alternate universe where they live in, like, our world, in our time, you know, before the rash happens. So you would kind of see what kind of people they would be if they were in a normal setting. So, I think I’m not going to answer that question, and kind of leave it in case I do that comic sometime. It would be, maybe like, 20 pages or something, so not super-long, but enough to kinda explore who they would be and how they could meet. You know, without the world having to end for that to happen.

Q.: Among the crew who is most excited to go to a new adventure and why? xD
A. (1:45:03): I kinda feel like none of them is particularly excited? Maybe Reynir though. He has gotten a taste for the outside world. The others are just like “Eh, it’s my duty” or something.

Q.: What are the biggest fears of the different crew members?
A. (1:50:55): I don’t know, I think that’s something I would have to consider more carefully and just not throw something out, since it could be used in the story in the future, I don’t know. I don’t know right now what the biggest fears would be. Obviously, Onni’s biggest fear was losing his family members and going outside in the world, but the rest, I don’t really know, I haven’t specified.

Q.: Is the mage group pic which portrays the mages and their spirit animal guides canon? Cause Lalli has been shown with a small bird but in the pic he has a Lynx.
A. (1:52:51): The lynx is Lalli’s luonto, the little bird you see is his sielulintu, which is kinda the...a thing in Finnish mythology everyone has a bird that guides their soul through dreams and stuff and makes sure that you don’t get lost on the way to the dreamworld in your sleep. So that’s the difference in Lalli’s spirit-animal, so to say, his luonto is the lynx.

Q.:The painting of Kullervo’s curse reminds me of the design of Hannu and Lalli. Is that at all deliberate?
A. (2:10:06): It’s not super deliberate, but it is deliberate in the sense that I kinda use the same kind of visual that a lot of Akseli Gallen-Kallela’s paintings had, like sharp cheekbones and stuff, and stripey hair, well, not stripey but kinda limp hair, just it’s kind of typical of the poor Finnish aesthetic, this kind of facial and body structure.

Q.: Will Sigrun, Mikkel or Emil ever get the chance to meet their fylgjas, or is that spoiler territory?
A. (2:27:12): No, I don’t think they would be able to meet them because they aren’t mages so they don’t have the ability to see their fylgjas. Reynir could possibly see them, but it wouldn’t be super useful.

Q.: Is there a deeper lore reason why Lalli didn't/couldn't just wake up to escape the Seamonsters?
A. (2:31:12): Because he was still lost/not in his own mind and was only able to wake up once he was back to his own mind.

Q.: Will we ever find out what happened to Onni and Tuuri's parents?
A. (2:32:50): Yes, we will find out what happened to the town where they were all living.

Q.: Reynir looks upset too, but he looks in other direction.. sooo... why?
A. (2:45:45): I think he’s just feeling a bit uneasy about the whole situation and looking around to see can it get any worse, are they going to get attacked from, in this direction right now and be pushed into the water.

Q.: Will we see anything more of the teams home villages, or have we left that all behind? It would be interesting to see how the fight is going in other parts.
A. (3:54:33): We’re going to meet everyone’s families. We’re actually going to be more involved in the different parts of the Nordic countries, and their different situations. This first one was the one where we got to know the characters, and now we can get to know more specifically about their lives.

Q.: If it's not too spoilery, what is Onni doing now that Lalli just woke up and left him alone with the risk that he might not be back? He must be going crazy with worry?
A. (3:55:32): He’s probably sitting in some corner somewhere and trying to think of something to do to help and working himself up into a crazy state.

Q.: Are your characters based on people you know?
A. (4:27:50): No, nobody is modeled after a specific person. They have elements of people I know or have heard about or have read about or stuff like that but nobody is a representation of any real people.

Q.: Out of SSSS crew who would pick up 'bouquets' of pretty autumn leaves?
A. (4:41:03): Hmm. I kind of feel like that’s something Sigrun might do. Absent-minded picking up things. Since we already established I think last stream that her hobby would be collecting rocks, she would have that “picking up things off the ground” mentality already.

Q.: Does anyone beside Emil have a 'family' cat, who is not serving in military?
A. (4:47:23): Well, Emil doesn’t have one, Bosse doesn’t belong to him, that’s his cousins’ cat. I guess Reynir has a cat on the farm--I guess it’s not really his cat, it’s his parents’ cat. And Mikkel also has farm cats back home.

Q.: Do Lalli and Onni know how to find way by stars? Does anyone else from the crew?
A. (5:08:20): I think they would, that’s a useful skill to have. I have no idea how pathfinding via stars works so I can’t say much about it [laughs], like I’m afraid to say “Oh, definitely, they know everything” and then someone says “Uhhh that’s a fake thing that doesn’t actually exist.” [laughs]

Q.: Hannu did a lot of star pathfinding for sure XD he seems like a person who would survive all apocalypses.
A. (5:11:13): Well, is star pathfinding really super useful in the apocalypse? I’m sure you could find a map and a compass pretty easily. [laughs] You could break into any hiking store. I think that would be a lot easier of a way to find where you’re going than trying to follow a star. [laughs]

Q.: Will the crew ever travel other places like let’s say Russia, Poland, Germany etc.
A. (5:25:27): It’s possible? It kind of depends on what I want to do with future adventures, like a few years from now. It’s too early to say anything about it now.

Q.: (add-on to previous question) Or have a new crew from a different country?
A. (5:29:27): I don’t think I’m gonna do that kind of story. I am set on these characters.

Q.: Did Mikkel read bedtime stories to his younger siblings?
A. (5:55:50): Yes, definitely.

Q.: Is Onni gonna have to translate for Lalli and Emil? Will Lalli introduce Emil to Onni as his Very First Friend?
A. (6:01:00): I don’t think Onni is gonna be able to speak with Emil since he speaks Icelandic and Emil does not. As for the second question, I haven’t really decided how Lalli would introduce Emil to Onni. He might just say “He is a person who isn’t horrible, who I might tolerate a little bit”, and Onni would understand.

Q.: If you could imagine the characters voices, what celebrities (voice actors and regular actors) would you use for each one?
A. (6:03:06): I don’t know any celebrity voices. I can barely remember any celebrity names, I don’t remember what anyone sounds like. So the whole “who would you cast to play this and this character” that people seem to like to do I can’t do any of those, because I don’t know any actors or actresses. You could ask “who would play this character” and I’d say “Barack Obama? Donald Trump?” I can’t tell celebrities from politicians or musicians, or anyone from anyone.

Q.: How does Onni currently feel about the Västerström kids? How do they feel about him?
A. (6:19:01): He’s probably gotten used to them a little bit by know, and the kids have probably noticed that he’s kind of depressed, so they would have been leaving him alone a little bit.

Q.: Who out of crew gets tan best?
A. (6:21:34): Emil, definitely. He’s the “golden complexion” type of person; golden skin, golden hair. Mikkel would probably be the second best at getting a tan.

Q.: Will we ever see a something from Sigrun’s youth?
A. (muted): I’m sure we’ll see some sort of flashback soon, kind of see what she was like. I am not sure what part of her we will see, but something for sure!

Q.: Which characters would cry during a movie?
A. (muted): Well, Onni would cry, and Sigrun would maybe cry. If it were a romantic movie and it had a tragic/sad ending she would cry with tissues and all. Maybe Emil would cry too, but he would try to hide it.

Q.: If the crew could have access to more modern day cafes, which type of warm drink (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc) would each of them like to drink?
A. (muted): I feel Lalli would maybe drink hot chocolate, and everyone would just drink coffee. Lalli would also put coffee in his hot chocolate. That’s my answer, coffee for everyone!

Q.: Does Onni attract owls in waking world/ do they like him? XD
A. (6:31:12): That would be kinda funny, so I’m inclined to say yes. Like, he would be walking in the woods and then random owl would be ‘ohoo’. Curiously staring at him and wondering why he’s not a completely ordinary human.

Q.: Why does Onni take owl form in the Dreamworld sometimes and human form other times?
A. (6:33:01): Because he has the ability to take his owl form to recover when he’s exhausted and obviously it can be beneficial in case he needs to fly or see far. Lalli is not capable of taking his luonto’s form, which is why he never does it.

Q.: Is Mikkel muscle-soft or just soft?
A. (6:35:04): He’s muscle-soft. He has that kind of worker-man build.

Q.: Is Lalli a weak mage, or is he just untrained?
A. (6:38:22): He’s just untrained, since he was pretty young when his mage training ended and he’s mostly been trained as a scout and what he’s been able to do is enough so he doesn’t really need training to be a powerful mage, and he doesn’t have enough self-discipline in a way to train, he doesn’t really care about getting to the next level, so to speak. He will probably be like a little bit over mid-level powerful without training. He has a lot of potential, but he doesn’t really think of it much.

Outfits

Q.: Are cold blades see-through or at least transparent-ish?
A. (1:50:21): Are cold blades see-through… I don’t know what cold blades are? Ask again with, maybe different words, if I, you know, something that I maybe understand a little bit better. Maybe I missed a previous question and can’t make a connection with my brain right now.

Q.: I meant earlier that are the knives which at least Emil, Sigrun and Lalli have made out of something special or are they made of regular metal?
A. (2:29:51): If they don’t look like metal then it’s my fault and I wasn’t able to draw metal properly. [later, in response to a follow-up comment] Yeah, they look kind of transparent because it was just how I happened to draw them [laughs], they’re not made of magic elven special metals or anything.

Q.: I don’t know why but I really wanna see Sigrun in one of those Fallout power armors suits that the Brotherhood of Steel uses.
A. (2:50:11): I don’t like those at all, the design is super clunky to me for some reason. They just look like robots instead of cool warriors, and not even cool though, just like big boxes. I didn’t even want to play anymore after you get to the port where you have to wear the power armors because up until then you have your own whatever raggedy things you picked up and then you have to wear those horrible clunky things and it’s just like “Eh, they’ve collected all my cool gear and now I have to wear this plastic suit thing.” Metallic garbage bag.

Q.: Who thought of giving Emil a cloak? He doesn’t need more hindrance to his mobility than his own body already provides.
A. (4:23:38): If Emil wants a cloak, it’s because Emil wants a cloak. And the reason is probably because it looks fancy. He doesn’t care about mobility. Which is why he isn’t a star warrior.

Hair

Q.: What made you decide on keeping Reynir's hair short in City of Hunger?
A. (0:59:33): Mostly I just want an excuse to sometimes draw him with short hair. At some point when I was planning the story, I was thinking that Reynir would have his hair cut at some point, as part of some decontamination process or a quarantine process, but I didn’t want to let go of his hair, so I needed some other avenue where I can draw him with short hair now and then. He’s going to need his long hair for this story just because it looks cool. And too many people would be sad if I cut it in the main story!

Q.: Is Reynir able to brush his hair himself, or he needs other people to help him with that?
A. (1:01:04): He’s perfectly capable of brushing his own hair and braiding it. I used to have super long hair, like down to where I could sit on it. It’s really not difficult to brush your own hair. You just kind of drape it over your arm, and brush it starting from the tip and working your way upwards. And I think I was also able to braid it myself, which is also pretty easy once you get the hang of it. But long hair is super hair annoying to wash and dry, so I gave up that, I tend to cut it every time it starts reaching my middle back. It’s also a nuisance if you go hiking, or travel at all, because then you have to - and then the washing problem, you have to wash it in uncomfortable situations in like, a lake or something, and then you’re super cold for the rest of the day because it won’t dry.

Q.: Will you ever draw a picture with Reynir’s hair out and fluffy? I think a few fans would like that
A. (1:14:25): Yes, that’s on the list of things I will have to draw. I can’t promise fluffy, but I can promise loose, not in a braid or a ponytail.

Q.: How do you manage to draw Sigrun's hair?
A. (4:03:59): It’s super easy! It’s just.. like that! Maybe it’s because I created her hair, so I see in my head what it’s supposed to be like. Maybe that’s why I don’t really see a problem with drawing it.

Secondary Characters

Q.: How did Torbjörn and Siv meet? They seem to have not a lot in common, and I suspect that Torbjörn didn't really work before the Västerström-money was gone ...
A. (1:24:35): They probably met at some, you know, community meet-up things. Small communities tend to have a lot of get-togethers and stuff. And they don’t have a lot in common, but they are very compatible, very supportive people, and they get along really well, so they would have hit it off really easily.

Q.: Do you know what fate befell Ms. Stine, the news lady from the prologue who was the quickest to realize just how devastating the Rash illness would soon become?
A. (1:52:23): I’m sure she would, you know, maybe have kind of like prepper type of family members somewhere so she would have moved to someone’s farm and, you know, survived and lived happily ever after with some prepper husband that she found in that community [laughs].

Q.: Can you describe Ensi’s personality or is that too much of a spoiler?
A. (3:39:34): Her personality is kind of jaded, since she was born right when the world ended, so she really didn’t have any kind of childhood. And especially since she would have been able to see spirits or trolls, she would have had to be accompanying the adults on scouting out areas and dangerous places to get food from the city, so she would have seen really disturbing creatures at a really young age. And being kinda weird, not having a childhood. She would have been a terrible mother, she wouldn’t have actually been around for her children, and they would have been mostly raised by other relatives. So Onni’s and Lalli’s fathers—who are twins—were not really raised by her. She would’ve just been an overbearing person who stops by after she found out that Onni and Lalli were also born with mage traits, she just coldly swooped in, wanting to have a successor. A hardened soul, a very cold person. If Lalli had died in her care, out training, she wouldn’t have cried. She would have just been disappointed that a valuable asset to the community would have been lost.

Q.:  Will we ever find out just what dirt Trond had on Captain Asa?
A. (5:17:46): Nope. You will have to use your imagination. Unless I end up needing it for a bonus comic, but I think I have enough other things to make extra content from. I think most of Trond’s past will remain a mystery.

Q.: Mikkel’s cat. Are they named Magnus?
A. (4:48:50): Yes, all of the cats in the Madsen family are named Magnus. There’s like 10 of them on the farm and every one is named Magnus, even the female cats. [laughs]

Q.: What do Reynir’s siblings do for a living?
A. (4:50:31): They have different jobs. I think that all work internationally, like they’re not at home in Iceland all the time, they’re travelling. Since they’re immune, they’re very useful as workers. We will meet the siblings in the story very soon, so I’ll define everyone’s professions more detailedly.

Q.: Does Trond wear glasses because he needs them or just to look stern? XD
A. (5:13:53): I think he needs them. [laughs] Like, he’s a general, he would look a lot more badass or less vulnerable if he didn’t have glasses. Cause, you know, obviously having glasses shows that you have a weakness. [laughs] It’s not a warrior thing, to have glasses.

Q.: Are we gonna see more of Trond blackmailing people?
A. (5:15:26): It’s possible, if the story calls for it. It’s a good trick to have in the story arsenal, because if I need something to happen in the story and have to figure out “Hmm, how did they get permission to do this?” I can always pull out Trond and he will have someone to blackmail.

Q.: Do you know what is Ensi’s luonto?
A. (6:37:32): I don’t remember if I have decided that, so for now let’s say nope. I feel like I might have answered that in a previous stream and I’ve forgotten it.
[Note: This has been asked in the stream of 04-08-2018 before, the answer back then was “I don’t know yet”.]

Worldbuilding

Q.: Since we (Kira and Elleth) are going to cross Oresund Bridge tomorrow, how did you come up with the idea of collapsing it?
A. (0:21:12): Well, I needed some reason why they wouldn’t be able to just abort the mission once they found Reynir and you know, drive back and drop him off. So yeah, had to collapse it.

Q.: Follow-up question to Kira's question: Will the bridge ever actually be repaired or will it just be kinda left collapsed forever?
A. (0:22:16): It’s probably gonna be left there, no financial reason for the Danes to repair it. If they ever feel like they need it, then they would. But at this point it would probably be easier to just use boats if they need to cross the channel.

Q.: How much power does the Nordic Council have? Is it like a government for all countries in the Known World or do the Countries have their own government and the NC is just some sort of administration for joint efforts that concern all Nordic countries?
A. (0:35:09): They don’t have almost any control over any of the countries. Everyone has their own very unique situation and their own governing bodies, which are more like city politic stuff, since they are not very big countries. A country of 50,000 people is going to have a very different type of political governance than something with a few million. They must be just kinda act as special projects kind of things. They might fund common efforts to do something.

Q.: Is Natalism ("an attitude or policy favoring or encouraging population growth" M-W) popular? Like, do families with less children than a certain amount have higher taxes? Are there incentives to have as many children as possible?
A. (1:10:03): No, there wouldn’t be an incentive to have a lot of children because there’s a problem with having enough food and farmland. In the north, if you have too many children, the whole family starves to death if there’s a bad year, so you have to be really careful with expanding the population only as much as you can expand the available farmland securely.

Q.: Do you think they still make Kæstur hákarl in Y90?
A. (1:17:09): I’m sure they would, I don’t see a reason to stop making that. Since, you know, sharks are fish right? Yes, they’re not whales. [laughs] Fish wouldn’t affected by the Rash, so they would be completely safe to eat.

Q.: Wouldn't the tanks Tuuri drools over in page 185 be very impractical when it came to fighting trolls? Why would they spend resources in building them?
A. (1:55:27): Not all of them are for fighting trolls, some would be for transporting equipment through bad terrain and stuff. Also, some designs I used just because they looked cool.

Q.: Are we gonna see more of the Nordic Council?
A. (3:52:28): I don’t think we’re going to really see much about them specifically, might have mentions here and there.

Q.: Would SSSS world have actual Eye of the Bog? [see the question about inspiration for forests in Drawing subheading]
A. (4:36:30): Yeah, just have that hole of water and big eyes sticking out of it. I don’t know how effective a hunting method would be for that creature to just have their eyes peeking out of the hole. No, Pit of the Bog would be more effective, I think. Or it could be like a submarine where the eye just kinda sticks out like on a stick and looks around and goes “Ohhh, there’s my prey!” and then the tentacles come out.

Q.: In the post-rash world, are there any massive metropolitan city centers like modern-day Tokyo/NYC/London (with infrastructure, public transportation, etc), or are people still recovering to be able to regain that level of city-ness in the future?
A. (5:35:29): People will be not able to have that kind of big cities, yes. There’s just not enough need for it, because there aren’t enough people around anyway, and really big metropolical areas couldn’t be sustained yet, because there’s too much danger going around and a big city with lots of people in the same place would be risky, if it gets infected again, so those kind of metropolical areas wouldn’t be happening yet.

Q.: While the comic takes in Northern Europe do you think there are any survivors in other places?
A. (5:47:16): I’m sure there are many places that have survivors. Some place that’s not too close to majorly populated places and that has an ability to get food from somewhere; like hunting or farming in safe place places that you can kind of wall off, you know, mountains, islands, those sort of places.

Q.: Did Sandstorm by Darude make it through the apocalypse?
A. (6:06:33): I’m sure it did in some form. If nothing else, s*** music.

Q.: Did pizza survive the apocalypse?
A. (6:08:12): Definitely. It’s just bread with tomato and cheese and other things on it. I’m sure someone wanted to make it and found the ingredients and kept the art alive.

Q.: Did the rest of the world revert to their old ways as well?
A. (6:09:54): Well, if I was writing other societies in the SSSS universe, they would have similarly reverted to their old magic and beliefs and visual things from traditional stuff.

Q.: Did Hesburger or McDonald’s survive?
A. (6:11:20): No. Really wouldn’t have been the infrastructure or ingredients to have fast food chains going. I’m sure someone somewhere found an old McDonald’s or Hesburger location and decided to start living there. No, they wouldn’t be serving people hamburgers. 

Q.: How did things go vis a vis nuclear plants? With everyone dying off, were there a bunch of meltdowns?
A. (6:13:12): Probably? But, on the other hand, I think there would be things like shutdown procedures, people working there would probably realise society was melting down and do what they can. I don’t know if there is some sort of procedure to do if they know they have to abandon the facility.

Rash, Magic and Ghosts

Q.: Does the Rash always turn its victims into predatory monsters, or does it depend heavily on the kind of creature that is infected? For instance, would an infected deer be as equally driven to kill and/or eat non-infected creatures as an infected wolf?
A. (0:45:58): I think it would be kind of equal, you know, species to species. But individually different creatures will have different behavior. Some will be more prone to hiding from the light than going out and hunting and killing. Those might also be more prone to dying from hunger.

Q.: Will you be making an info page about the concepts of Finns having three portions of their soul? I never even KNEW Finns had their own mythology, let alone anything about it.
A. (2:01:58): I think I did at some point. I feel like that infopage is in the second book, because someone tweeted me a picture of the second book that they got yesterday and it had that page, I think. Maybe the infopage was only about luonto portion and not the other ones, I’ll have to check. If I didn’t include all of the information and only included the information about luonto I’ll definitely at least think about making a full infopage about other parts too, in the future.

Q.: Is taking the form of ones luonto just a matter of experience or an innate talent? Or is there some overlap with talent deciding how experienced one has to be to do it but it not being off-limits for any mage if they practice enough?
A. (6:36:22): Yes, it’s a matter of experience, and self-control, mostly. Since it’s part of oneself, part of the soul, one has to have the ability to be one with oneself, if that makes sense. But yes, it’s a thing that any mage with enough power would be able to do it. The weakest mage won’t have enough power, but if you train yourself, you will be able to train yourself do it.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:05:24 PM by Kis »
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Misc. information, personal stuff & widely S4-related

Q.: How’s kitty doing? =^.^=
A. (0:30:32): She’s sleeping, as usual, this is the time when she’s usually sleeping. She’ll probably wake up within a couple hours and come ask for food.

Q.: Do we talk too much, Minna?
A. (0:36:18): No, no! Talk as much you  like! I’m just really bad at using the chat. I think it’s supposed to like, if you scroll up and then click somewhere, it’s supposed to stop scrolling, so you can read. But I don’t know if my browser is broken or something, but it doesn’t stop scrolling. So you kind of have to finick around with it and keep scrolling up while reading. I think I’ll have to test visiting some other person’s stream, someone who has lot of chat going on, and see if I can figure out what exactly my problem is, test different ways to stop the chat.

Q.: Usually mine just has “more messages below” when I scroll up so that’s odd.
A. (0:38:35): Yeah, I also get that “more messages below” but for some reason it keeps still going down even though it’s showing that message. So I think maybe I have to start using another browser, maybe?

Q.: What browser are you using?
A. (0:40:47): To view the chat, it’s Firefox apparently. It could be out of date maybe, I’m using it on my laptop, which I never use for anything else, so it’s probably a problem on my end.

Q.: Ever thought of making merch clothes? Like a Tee with the flower/snowflake logo on it?
A. (1:18:54): Yes, t-shirts, at least maybe hoodies, will be possible. But, at least t-shirts are on my “to-do next merch-wise” list. I’m going to try to have something done in good time before Christmas this year, like in the next  maybe three months or something. I’m going to wait until all the books have shipped out for the Kickstarter before I start working on any new items for the store. I’m thinking maybe like October/November I would have something, t-shirt designs at least, added to the store. I’ve just, you know, worked with print-on-demand t-shirt place, so it wouldn’t be difficult, I’d just have to get around to designing a few. I’ll have to ask them for some guidelines since I’ve never done any t-shirt designs, so I don’t actually know; are there like colour restrictions or something? There used to be, back like 15 years ago or something, some sort of restrictions, like if you used this many colours it’s super expensive, and if you print on black it’s extra expensive because you have to print a white base first and stuff like that. But it’s probably changed a lot since then, since I see everyone making t-shirts all the time so it’s got to be pretty easy.

Q.: What are some of your favorite games that you've played in the past? Any specific genres you enjoy?
A. (1:20:48): Well, my favourite genre is roguelikes (or … rogue likes?). You know, some sort of randomised map and you have to survive; survival and base building elements are nice also. But my favourite games of the past? I really like Final Fantasy VIII, IX and XII? VIII and IX were my favourites because they were the first two that I played; those were really important to me. And, the Pokemon series for Gameboy would be another all-time favourite. And, as a kid, I really liked Spyro, it was also one of my most favourite games. I don’t like platformers anymore, but as a child that was the greatest thing in the world, and it’s one of the very few games that I’ve, like, 100%-ed; both Spyro 2 and 3. Oh, and, what was that game, Age of Mythology. That was my first proper PC game, so it’s really important to my development as a- I don’t know if “gamer” would be the right word since I, you know, try to avoid playing games since I have a, you know, I tend to become addicted and you know, waste too much time. So I avoid playing games these days, but yeah, it was really important to me, that game.

Q.: Well, just a plain logo sounds like it'd definitely be a possibility if I remember the escapades our class had correctly.
A. (1:22:57): Yeah, I think making multicolor cool t-shirt is really cheap these days, because I’ve seen what other people have done for their stores with Hiveworks, and some of them just printed full-color illustrations, and if that works I’m sure I can do a really cool pattern design, whichever colors, and not have it be, like, $50. But yeah, I have some pretty cool ideas that I think people will like. I think I’ll do three different to begin with; it’ll not overwhelm people with too many choices in the beginning, and if they do well maybe next year I’ll do a couple more. You know, maybe every year adds a little bit in a couple of extra designs, if people want some new stuff for their wardrobe.

Q: Did you hear about the recent crossover with FF14 and Monster Hunter World?
A. (1:24:22): Is FF14 the multiplayer version, like, the online one? Or was that the new single-player one. I haven’t played any of the newest FFs. And also I have never played Monster Hunter, so no, I have not heard about that. These days, if I do play a video game it has to be basically a base builder or survival or mix of those, like Dream World, Factorio, Don’t Starve, those kind of games.

Q.: Will the stickers of the SSSS crew ever come back into stock? I only found your comic earlier this year and I've been really hoping that they'd eventually come back on sale eventually.
A. (1:26:42): Yes, I thought they would already kind of be in the process of being back. I’ll have to ask Hiveworks, because I already told them they are out of stock and they said they would reorder it. They might have forgotten, because that was like, a month ago. So yeah, they should be in stock. Yeah, I’ll ask about them. But yes, I do want them back in stock.

Q.: I would sell my soul for an actual "Sigrun Eide: How hard can it be?" T-shirt.
A. (1:27:35): Ah- [laughs] I have to see if I make any, like, slogan-like t-shirts. I kind of lean more on the visual side - like cool designs that don’t really have a lot of text on them.

Q.: I would wear a shirt with the SSSS logo on it, the six pointed star.
A. (1:29:18): Yes, I’ll definitely make one that is centered around the logo. I think I’m gonna add some more ornamental elements around it, make it a little bit more cool. It’s a little bit lonely if it’s just the logo, I feel like. Kinda like I’ve done with the plush—it comes with a little tag which has a star logo but it also has the stuff around it, I’m gonna do something kinda similar to that, maybe have some kind of ornaments you would have on a typical Nordic shirt accompanying the star pattern.

Q.: Lol if there were a Reynir tee that's just a long braid down the back and nothing else.
A. (1:31:12): [laughs] I mean, it’s possible; I’ll definitely take, you know,  suggestions down the road. I’ll, you know, start off with something simple, easy-to-digest and just pretty designs, and you know, something maybe slightly humorous. And you know, then we’ll see. If people like them, I’ll expand to more ideas. I don’t know if there’s like, a limit where it’s too many designs, you know, oversaturate the supply? But, I’ll look more into the t-shirt market; what’s best practices for people to do and then sell.

Q.: Do you ever listen to nordic metal?(not complaining about this music, its new and interesting, the parts i understand haha).
A. (1:32:20): Yeah, I do. Nordic folk metal, I listen to. Regular metal, not really? The only conventional metal band I listen to (but it’s not really conventional) would be Apocalyptica. They do metal with, like (what’s that instrument?) cellos! So it’s, not like exactly normal metal, but it’s not folk metal. I honestly normally don’t listen to a lot of music, like, at all. Like, when I draw normally outside of the the stream I just listen to Youtube videos or other people streaming, other than music. And I only listen to music when I need inspiration, which is why I listen to folksy stuff, since, you know, it’s kind of seen with the theme of the comic.

Q.: I'm not sure if this is a tradition in any Nordic countries, but would the rest of the team have considered taking some of Tuuri's ashes with them? Like as a reminder of her?
A. (1:34:06): I don’t know if it has been the tradition before, like, nowadays cremation and ashes is a normal thing, it’s cheaper to bury an urn rather than the whole person, and also some people want to do, like, “sprinkle my ashes there and there” stuff. I think it’s kinda restricted in the Nordic countries, like, you can’t just sprinkle someone’s ashes somewhere. I guess it’s considered a health risk for some reason, you know, you can’t just sprinkle someone’s ashes in a river or something, haha. But I don’t know in the past, I don’t know if doing things with people’s ashes and keeping them in urns and stuff has been much of a thing in the Nordic countries, at least not in Finland or Sweden, where I’ve lived. I’ve never really come across that the same way that you see it in, like, Swedish media, people wanting to keep someone’s ashes. But maybe somewhere it’s known better, it’s just not something that’s been done I guess in my family or people I have heard of. [note: it doesn’t say anything about the crew to list it in Characters category]

Q.: (following the previous question) I know it's a tradition in my culture to keep someone's ashes once you cremate them, I've always found it kinda weird myself XD
A. (1:36:02): Yeah, that’s the thing. If people are cremated, you usually don’t keep the ashes, the point is that you bury the ashes, bring them to, like, their childhood home or farm or something where they liked to spend time, because they didn’t want to be buried in the graveyards. Like I guess animal ashes are more common, you know, pets are cremated pretty commonly, but even then cremated ashes are usually buried, people don’t keep their pet’s ashes in an urn either.

Q.: I just bought Book 1, I really appreciate all the extra stuff you've put into it. The quality of the book entirely is really good too. Can't wait for your next books.
A. (1:51:40): Well, thank you a lot, and I really happy that you enjoyed the quality. I also like books that are really good quality both on the inside and cover-wise, so I did put a lot of, you know, thought into design and material choices. I specifically wanted a cover with a texture so that it would be a little bit different.

Q.: I think the ARTD book material choice was perfect.
A. (1:53:50): I think that’s nice too, because I didn’t actually make really any choices there, I just kinda told the printer kinda like, what they needed, I just wanted it to be a matte cover, not glossy, and I wanted the pages to show color really well and they made the material choices for me. So it’s good that you like them.

Q.: I recall that you like Dead Space so I was wondering did you play all 3 games?
A. (1:54:33): No, I only played the first one myself and I watched lets plays of the second one. After that, I was kind of done with the series, like I felt I wasn’t that scared anymore, because the story had gone so much into the mythos, the creatures and the weird cult-things. So yeah, I haven’t watched anything about the third one.

Q.: What sort of extras would you think of adding to Book 2? Slice of life from Onni’s adventures in babysitting?
A. (1:57:02): Well Book 2 is already done, so it has its extras, it has a bonus comic about arm wrestling and I also have a series of pages where people were allowed to submit questions to the characters and I answered them in like the characters voices so people really like those, those were like my main extras. I think I had a couple of like illustrations in there also and the bonus comic and the character question pages were the main attraction. Book 2 is currently being shipped out to the backers of the kickstarter and it will be in the store probably like, well it’ll probably be a month before everyone’s things are shipped out and then it will be in the store for everyone to buy. So it’s coming soon-ish. Don’t know what date yet.

Q.: So you said you like Spyro, what do you think about the remake that they are making?
A. (1:58:23): I didn’t know they’re making a remake, but I tried one of the earliest remakes; the ones were after the Activision original trilogy and then they sold it off to some company, and they made Spyro 4 or something. It just didn’t feel the same. Maybe at that point I had already grown old enough that I wasn’t into platformers anymore, but it also felt that it was lacking something, you know, like the soul of the Spyro genre was not there. So after that I haven’t cared about remakes, I kinda just decided that the series was over for myself. So yeah, it was important for my childhood, but it’s not the kind of a game that I’m interested in anymore.

Q.: Have you seen any lets plays of Last of Us? If so, did you like it?
A. (2:03:04): No. Is Last of Us the one where monsters have mushrooms and stuff growing out of their head?  If so, then I kinda know about the game, but I haven’t cared enough to watch it. I’m not really been interested in a lot of these kind of new games that are first-person action games and story games. For some reason, Fallout 3 was the last one that I kinda enjoyed and was interested in. After that I’ve only been interested in—even for lets plays—strategy kind of games.

Q.: If you were born after the Rash a) where would you prefer to live? b) what your occupation/job would be? c) what grade would your Kitty have?
A. (2:06:18): Where would I prefer to live... Hm...I guess Finland, because I know the nature and stuff around here, so I will know how to get around fairly well. Like, in Iceland I would die just because I would get lost in a storm and not know what to do or where to go. And what my occupation would be.. Maybe like a farmer of some kind. I’m pretty weak, so I don’t know how good I would be as a farmer, but I can farm flowers. That would not exactly be useful. And my kitty would be... she’s pretty good at hunting, but that’s it, so I guess she would be grade B.

Q.: If you could go on vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
A. (2:07:55): Honestly, I keep wanting to go back to Iceland. I’ve been there twice and I want to go hike in more places there. I just really like the nature and the climate and the fact that there’s almost no bugs. Like, the only bugs we encountered were super-small flies around a lake where there was a lot of grassland and people’s fields; they had clouds of those tiny flies just rising out of the grass. The moment the wind would stop, you’d see this mist of flies rising from the grass. And we were walking through it and we would look at the ground and flies would be sitting. Like, the ground was grey from the flies and you would just walk on top of them. Oh, it was horrible. You know, they go into your eyes and your clothes and you had to get to the car, basically try to get them off our jackets in a way that wouldn’t have the car full of flies, too. Yeah, I guess I want to go back to Iceland again. I kinda also want to visit the Great Wall of China for some reason, I really want to go on, like, a hike walk the length of it. I’m sure there are hiking tours that you can buy and join a hike like that. I’m thinking that’s what I’d like to do some time.

Q.: Well you seem to like vacations so I hope you get to go all over the world when you retire from comic drawing.
A. (2:11:11): I think when I retire from comic drawing I’m going to be really old and might just want to go hiking in the woods nearby. I don’t really enjoy airplane flights, so I don’t like that aspect of travelling, I just really like hiking. But yeah, I definitely want to go to different places. And I do have enough of the income that I can save up money, so I’ve been going somewhere with my mother to hike outside of Finland every three years or something and that’s pretty nice. Like, we’ve gone to Iceland twice now, in the last 6 years I think, and I’m definitely going back, and that’s super-expensive. It costs, like, a 1,000 euros to just to fly there when it costs 50 euros to fly to Sweden. It’s like—aaargh. So yeah, that’s definitely the kind of trip that you really have to save up money for for several years.

Q.: Do you ever sometimes just browse some the fanart people have made for your webcomics? If so, do you have any favorite pieces or artists in particular?
A. (2:13:34): No, I tend to see the fanart that people send to me on twitter, I don’t browse the  places where people post fanart. I don’t even know where people post fanart. If it’s on the forum then no, because I don’t go there. I leave that place for you guys. Same with the fanfiction places, I won’t bother you people, I will leave you to your creative whims without me hovering and being judgmental, heh. But yeah, I don’t really browse for the fanart, I only look at it when people present it to me, both because I don’t really have time to browse different places even for other stuff, and I  also feel like, if people are drawing fanart that is weird and stuff (which people sometimes do) I feel like I’m... I don’t know if the people who draw that want me to see it, if they will feel, like, weird about it, so I don’t go looking for it.

Q.: Favorite Disney movie (if any)?
A. (2:17:22): Maybe the Lion King. I really like the old, hand-animated Disney movies. I’ve kinda gotten really bored of the Pixar animation, like, I liked a lot of them, but yeah, I’m tired of the 3D animation or such. I haven’t watched any of the new ones that are super-popular. I haven’t even seen Frozen, because I saw promotional posters for it and I was like “I have no interest in this.”

Q.: Favorite actor/actress?
A. (2:19:50): I don’t really know any actors or actresses. I’m trying to think of any that I can even remember the name of, that would probably make them my favourite just by default. I remember the name of Tom Cruise, so I guess he’s my favourite. And Brad Pitt, I remember those names. Like, when I watch movies, I don’t care at all who is the person acting.

Q.: What type/how much media do you even consume? You seem pretty busy but is there any sort of media to try to make time for?
A. (2:21:56): No, there is no media that I try to make time for, I only consume stuff that I can enjoy while I’m drawing, so it’s mostly things I can listen to, which means podcasts, other people streaming (who talk a lot) and lets plays where someone is explaining what they’re doing while they’re playing, which is why I like strategy games, because usually the person is talking, explaining their moves and stuff. Audiobooks are sometimes okay and sometimes I also watch sitcoms and things, where I can listen to the jokes and stuff and not have to look at the actual screen. It’s really the most that I consume these days.

Q.: Is there anything of SSSS that you're particularly proud of?
A. (2:23:18): I don’t know like particularly proud of, I’m just kinda proud of like the whole “that I’m being able to be consistent with it”. I guess I’m proud of that [laughs]. Since you know, so many webcomics kinda take like super long hiatuses and stuff, so yeah I’m happy that it’s been going well for so long and I guess I’m proud of actually getting books out of it.

Q.: What sort of podcasts and audiobooks?
A. (2:24:35): Really anything that I happen to be interested in. Sometimes I listen to news and podcasts, sometimes I listen to podcasts about comics, podcasts about video games, podcasts about internet drama, whatever I happen to be in the mood for and audiobooks… there is nothing specific, sometimes there are some really bad post-apocalyptic stories, sometimes I listen to like historical books and sometimes I listen to, like the last one I listened to, was some sort of exorcism story book about “true exorcism recountings” and stuff like that. So really, anything that I happen to be feeling likely to listen to. Mostly I listen to stuff on youtube, that’s really my go-to place.     

Q.: I think Makoto Shinkai animated Kimi no na wa (called ‘Your Name’ in English). [someone proposed Minna to look up Makoto Shinkai before]
A. (2:25:40): Alright, I’m actually going to Google that right now. Kimi no na wa. Alright, looks pretty cool. Have not seen that before. Haven’t watched any anime stuff in really long, exactly because I need stuff I can listen to and not watch, and I don’t like dubbed anime.

Q.: Any guilty pleasure movies? Like "bad" comedies or something?
A. (2:27:35): I like all comedies. Like if a comedy movie has got a rating of about six on IMDb I’m probably going to enjoy it, my taste isn’t sophisticated. But I don’t have any movies that I watch over and over again.

Q.: Do you realise that you've made Keuruu a tourist place?
A. (2:37:05): [laughs] I know at least two groups of people who came there just because of SSSS, even though there’s not much to see [laughs]. Well, that’s cool. Yeah, it’s not exactly a normal tourist place, but it is pretty. It has the wooden church, and also if you drive around it then the nature around is pretty desolate, and there are pretty farms and hills and little lakes around there. [laughs] And that’s cool.

Q.: If music were to be made to accompany SSSS, what type of music would you think could fit SSSS the best?
A. (2:37:59): Honestly the music that I get most inspired by to make SSSS is the stuff by Hedningarna, like the one that’s playing right now [Höglorfen - Hedningarna], that band. They make a lot of slightly weird tunes, very Nordic sounding, and it usually has some kind of flair to it. Gets me a little bit pumped up. I don’t know more specifically than that what kind of music, but that’s the music that inspires me most.

Q.: Do you like the rigs from Dead Space?
A. (2:52:58): Do you mean the body armor suit thing? Yes, I did like that. I especially liked health bar on your spine thing, that was really cool. I don’t remember more specific, what else they look like, but I remember that I wasn’t strictly bothered by them and I think I enjoyed them. So I’m going to say yes, even though I only remember the spine thing and the weapon, the laser cutter, that was also really neat design.

Q.: Really random question but did you happen to play mulle meck when you were younger? // Mulle Meck is a Swedish children's book figure created by George Johansson and Jens Ahlbom. Mulle Meck is called Gary Gadget in English and Masa Mainio in Finnish.
A. (2:54:55): Unless it’s something that I know by another name, then no, I have no idea what that is. Mulle Meck. Word’s that tell me nothing. Now I’m really curious, so please tell me what it is.// Alright, well I have never read any of those in any of those languages and haven’t heard about it before. So it’s a new... discovery is the word I’m looking for? Yes. A new acquaintance.

Q.: Will the 'City of Hunger' eventually get music to accompany it? What kind of music will you be looking for for that?
A. (2:55:33): Yes, it’s definitely gonna have music but I currently have no idea what I even want for it, so it’s gonna be the last thing I add before the next test version is ready.

Q.: Have you played TES V: Skyrim (or watched lets plays)? If yes, what do you think about it?
A. (2:56:52): I haven’t played it, I tried one Elder Scrolls game once and found it very boring. I think I watched a couple of episodes of Skyrim lets plays just to see what all hype is about, but... I’m kinda over those kinds of open-world, explore-on-your-own kind of games and, you know, do quests, I need games to either have some sort of strategic aspect and it also needs to be kinda difficult for me to be interested these days. Not difficult in the sense that you have to click really fast and hit your enemies and stuff like that, I like turn-based things. Don’t need to crack my brain or my fingers.

Q.: How long of a break are you going to take between the first and second adventure?
A. (2:59:01): Hmm, probably like three weeks or something. It’s not gonna be too long, because the scripting part is kinda in a good spot, I’m not gonna take a month to finalise the script or anything and I still have a pretty good buffer of three pages right now, so I’m also not gonna have to take a really long time to build a page buffer. So yeah, maybe three weeks is going to be enough time. I’m really going to need time to rest out a bit, for a week, and fix the website, so I can accommodate some adventure stuff of the comic, without being weird or super messy, I’m going to simplify some things. That’s it. It’s not going to be a long break. The regular chapter break plus one week.

Q.: I see you've been confused by a cat as well haha.
A. (3:12:22): Yes, unfortunately she has a bad habit. First of all, when she sits at the door I will get up, and sometimes when she ran off with a food bowl and I will give her something, because maybe she’s hungry a little bit. Obviously she immediately learned that if she wants food she just go sit by that back door. So I’m trying to anti-learn her that.

Q.:  How long are your normal workdays?
A. (3:45:02): I get up at twelve, I start working around one, and I go to bed at four, but I do take breaks and go for walks during the day. I feel like my work days are about twelve hours. I would actually have to properly time it, my breaks and stops in-between, because I technically start working at one and stop working at four and go to bed, so that’s a really long time. Lots of breaks, and I also don’t work while I eat. So that’s an hour when I don’t do any work, and I take one hour to exercise every day, usually by going for a walk. I do work most of the day. I don’t really have a time when I “get off work” so to say and do something, I try to work as much as I can, because I enjoy it.

Q.: Do you crack your knuckles while stretching?
A. (4:11:12): No, I’ve heard that’s not actually a good thing to do. It can slowly wear down the joints in your fingers, or loosen them somehow. I never crack my knuckles, I’m very scared of doing that. I only stretch my fingers as much as I can in different directions and my wrists and the back of my hand and try to open my palm as much as possible.

Q.: I love playing Don't Starve so I was thinking do you have any preference which character you play as? I mostly play as the old lady/librarian or the scientist guy.
A. (4:12:44): I usually just play the default, what’s his name, Wilson, so he’s, I guess, the scientist guy. I also like the librarian, but I actually kind of see her as too powerful, because she had the whole thing with the books and stuff. And her only drawback was that she can’t sleep during insanity, and I never use the sleeping, like tents and straw strolls, so I had no downsides and only super powerful upsides with using her, so I stopped using her for that. The basic Wilson guy is the most balanced. In the Shipwrecked DLC I also liked the serpent girl just because her voice, whatever instrument it is, sounds cool and also she’s supposed to be super lazy [] but doing things, I find it really amusing. She’s complains about everything she has to do, like, if she has to pick up a rock she’s like “What am I, a pack mule?” I don’t have the most sophisticated sense of humour, I will find everything funny. I’m easily amused.

Q.: Honestly I was really getting tired of post apocalyptic stories until I found your comic and the Metro series and I think it’s because how different they are from your normal apocalyptic setting.
A. (4:25:07): I think most people tend to tire of apocalyptic settings when they’re the exact same as everything else—basic zombies, dystopia, trying to survive in some hole somewhere, trying to travel to a safe city. You only really need to mix something different in there, and it becomes new. It’s the same with basic fantasy and stuff that’s done a lot. It’s really easy to make something fresh just by mixing in something else.

Q.: Since you mentioned you like weird comedy, do you like Venture Bros? // It’s an animated, odd comedy tv series, it’s definitely in a category of its own.
A. (4:40:25): I don’t think I’ve heard of that. Let me know if it’s like, a new TV series, or is it a movie? Is it an old thing? Let me know. I tend to forget the names of everything, so it very well could be something that I have watched but I’ve forgotten. // Alright, then I’ve definitely not seen it. I think all of the animated comedy series I’ve watched are popular American things like South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, BoJack Horseman.

Q.: Besides French, are there plans (or conspirings) to publish the books in other languages?
A. (5:01:16): Not right now. I’ve kind of been hesitant to go into the book translation stuff, since I’m kind of scared of accidentally losing my rights to the comic or something like that. I finally agreed to it because this company contacted Hiveworks to ask if they could publish it in French, and Hiveworks had to kind of talk me into it, like tell me that it’s a good deal and they’d do the lawyer stuff for me so that I don’t have to worry about losing any rights. So this is the first one, and there isn’t a big plan to do a lot of others, but it’s been going well, so if there’s future opportunities to have it translated, I’m more open to it/less scared about it now. So, no plans right now, but it’s very possible that there will be other translations. [brief silence] The physical comics industry I think is a little bit in trouble right now. In a lot of countries it’s risky to publish new comics that aren’t old classics, because people just don’t read comics much outside the internet anymore. French is one of the few languages where publishing comics like graphic novels is still profitable, because it’s a part of French culture to read graphic novels. So there’s probably also a limit to what languages are possible to get translations for, because for a lot of languages there’s not a big enough market that a company will take the risk to translate a comic.

Q.: Just wondering, do you need glasses from doing digital art for so many hours of the day? Y’know what adults say about how computers make your eyes weak?
A. (5:09:03): No. I can’t see far away well, so I’ve needed regular glasses since I was a teenager. But I don’t use glasses when I draw, and not when I’m inside, because everything is close enough that I can see well. I do need glasses when I go outside so I can read signs and see people’s faces without having to be like one meter away from them [laughs]. No, I don’t think that has anything to do with me drawing digitally since I needed glasses before any of that became a thing, before I even had my own computer. Staring at the screen all day hasn’t given me any problems. It could be that the Cintiq screens are calibrated to suit the artist that has to look at it for a long time, so I don’t know if a bad screen could cause something. I know some people have to use those protective glasses to filter out something from screens or they get migraines, but I haven’t had a problem, I can keep staring at the screen for ten hours a day no problem.

Q.: Would you eat Mikkel's soup?
A. (5:19:51): The candle soup? Ehh...no. I am very picky with what I eat and I would be completely incapable of eating something that has a weird texture to it, or consistancy to it, or  a weird taste. I will just not be able to swallow any of it, chew it, I will just spit it out immediately.

Q.: Just curious, does your cat tend to walk all over your keyboard/tablet/computer?
A. (5:56:55): No, because my keyboard and computer are kind of packed away in a weird box-like corner, so she can’t get to them, but she will walk on my tablet sometimes when she wants to get into my lap. It’s kind of a steep angle, so she steps on the tablet, slide right off, and then settles where she lands.

Q.: Have people asked you for interviews before?
A. (6:07:03): Yes, sometimes, I think I’ve done a couple of interviews ages ago, I kinda stopped doing any of them because I got super stressed out at some point. I tend to not even look at my email unless I’m expecting a message from someone, so if I have gotten any interview requests since then, they’ve gone completely unnoticed. I think the time people wanted interview requests was when the first book of SSSS came out, and when I won some award I think, but other than that, not so much.

Q.: What type of mage would you prefer to be?
A. (6:15:23): I don’t really know. I guess the kind that lives at home so I guess an Icelandic mage and I am going to be “make the sheep bear more healthy little sheeplings” kind of mage. I wouldn't want to be out in the field.

Q.: Did you see the new Unknown Soldier remake that came last year?
A. (6:30:16): No, I did not. I am not interested in war movies at all. I’ve seen the original Unknown Soldier movie in school, in class, because it’s one of those movies you are supposed to see. I don’t remember a lot about it but it was good, one of the few movies in black and white that I’ve enjoyed, but I don’t like war movies so I wasn’t interested in a remake.

Drawing: Inspirations, Techniques, Process

Q.: Any more thoughts on what you'd like to draw for future streams?
A. (0:56:51): Yeah, I have a lot of ideas that I would like to draw, because, you know, I have a lot of bottled-up ideas that I’ve wanted to draw for the past year or so. I’ve had the time but I haven’t had the motivation to drawn outside of the comic, so I have a lot of ideas that I want to finally get to doing. I won’t say anything specific because I always change my mind, so I won’t get you hyped up for anything specific. One thing I did promise was that I would draw Reynir with his hair not in a braid, so I need to come up with some cool composition to work on; some week, don’t know when yet.

Q.: A little trivial question; what hand do you draw/write with?
A. (1:02:32): I’m right-handed, but I can colour sometimes with my left hand, which I do for the comic. I need time to rest my right hand a little bit, since I have, like almost every artist, joint and tendon problems, so I can switch to the left hand and keep doing this, just a bit slower. So yeah, colouring with my left hand is no problem. Switching back to my right hand right now. And that’s why I love my current Wacom tablet; it’s the Wacom Cintiq 12WX; it’s super-old and it’s super-small, but it has the hotkeys on both sides so you can use your left and right hand interchangeably, it doesn’t matter which hand you use. Well, I looked at the newer ones, and they only have the sleeker [striper?] ones, you have to turn it over if you want to be left-handed. I guess the assumption is that most people only use one hand and don’t need to turn it over that often. So yeah, I kind of need that both-handed capacity.

Q.:How do you draw urban/suburban backgrounds for panels/artworks?
A. (1:08:04): The same way I would draw nature backgrounds? There really isn’t a different kind of process to it. I use an exact type of lineart and colouring style. Or at least I try to? Maybe it looks different for some reason? But yeah, I usually look up some reference for the kind of buildings that I want and use those as a guide, just as I would do with nature scenes. I would look up the kind of nature I want to draw, and use that as a guide. I’ll probably, at some point, start doing additional livestreams where I just draw the comic pages the way I would regularly do, maybe cover up spoilery panels and stuff so you guys could see my process for those. Since it’s kind of difficult to describe how you draw a comic, especially when it comes to style questions.

Q.: Seeing you draw a comic page would be very interesting! (from Elleth)
A. (1:11:30): Okay, good. I will start doing that at some point, obviously I can’t right now since the, every page and every panel will kinda spoil what will happen next so I have to wait until we’re back to scenes where there’s more talking and stuff so that you can’t tell exactly what’s happening just from the artwork.

Q.: How do you make backgrounds?
A. (1:12:32): You mean for the comic? It’s kind of a mix of lineart and kind of painting below the lineart. I kinda do it the same way I would paint if I were to do it with watercolors, where I will first draw light line art with ink, and then paint with watercolors on top. I kinda do that same process digitally, but you know, it’s one of those things that’s really difficult to kind of describe. So yeah, I would have to show it on a livestream in the future.

Q.: Do you do commissions?
A. (1:47:51): No, I do not. I haven’t done commissions, well since I got to a point where I was able to support myself just by doing comics. Since I don’t really enjoy doing commissions, so I don’t want to do that unless I have to. [laughs] I did appreciate everyone who did commission me back then when I did take them, but yeah, it’s not something I really want to do if I have a choice.

Q.: Do you enjoy drawing landscapes more, or characters?
A. (1:48:33): I think single-character or two-character scenes where they are the focal points are usually more enjoyable because it’s kinda easy to make something, you know, impressive and tell a little bit of character story just by that and make something that’s easy to make and people will enjoy. Landscapes without characters in them can be a little be boring to make and to look at. But they are fun, though. What I don’t like is scenes with a lot of characters, so that you have to do a lot of detail on a lot of people. This is fun, though, because they are pretty small, and I know I’m not going to have to spend 50-hours drawing everyone [talking about the current drawing]. But if it’s, like, the crowd scene and I set the goal that it’s gonna be really detailed, then those are the scenes that I hate to draw the most. For some reason I thought the answer was what do I hate drawing the most when the question was what do I like drawing the most. [laughs] I guess character portraits, well, not portraits but situation pieces are the most fun.

Q.: I am absolutely in awe of your color shading. You make something that's so hard seem so easy.
A. (3:06:45): Well thank you,it used to be really hard to do this kind of shading, just paint, without layers and constant adjusting the settings. You really have to learn what colours go together, but you also have to learn to not be afraid of mistakes as you paint.

Q: I've grown up shading and drawing with pencil only so it's been hard to transition from B&W to color.
A. (3:10:34): Yes, I can understand that. I think I’ve always done colour on some level, even back then when I was a kid I used crayons. But if you work digitally, there’s actually a lot of ways where you can paint in B&W and kinda add colour afterwards, with different effect layers, with soft light, hard light, with different colour filters. People do it a lot, I heard it’s a great time-saver to paint in B&W only, and once that looks good you just add colours with filters. If you do digital art, look into that, if you have a hard time getting into colours, if you learned to do only B&W stuff.

Q.: Do you have any artist quirks?
A. (3:53:24): I do that thing that a lot of artists do, where if you draw someone’s expression, you make that expression while you’re drawing, without thinking about it. It often results in me having headaches because I’ll sit for one hour with some sort of horrible grin or scowl on my face. I don’t know if I have any other “quirks”, per se, but that’s a common one that I also have.

Q.: Have you ever experienced lack of self confidence when it comes to your work (or impostor syndrome)? If yes, how did you get over it?
A. (3:56:31): I don’t know if I have “imposter syndrome”. I’m not really sure what the definition for that is, but I see sometimes people talk about it, in passing other artists, and I’ve never really felt that I have that—whatever you’re talking about—but definitely self-confidence issues happen sometimes, like I might feel that my style is not good enough. I’ll look at other people’s work and be “Oh, I wish I could be drawing in that kind of style”, and my style is stupid and ineffective, and not expressive or pretty enough. Then my work might be messed up, because I start trying something else, but I also try to do my own style, and it looks ugly and stuff. The way I center myself back into the style that I have determined that I actually like—because I do like my own style. I have a folder with a lot of art from different people that kind of have elements of my style, that I know I like. I look at those art pieces when I feel directionless, and remind myself why I like those art styles, and why I try to aspire to be like them and not whatever random artist I happen to see and be like “wow, so much better than me”. Basically I have an inspiration folder that has art that’s kinda reminds me of my art but that isn’t my own art. Because if I do look at my own art when I feel like it, I will feel like it’s not great, so I need to look at other people’s art to remind myself where I’m going.

Q.: Any other artists you could mention as inspiration? I think your style looks a lot like Jean Giraud. I read a lot of his westerns as a kid.
A. (4:00:58): That’s the greatest praise you could give, because Jean Giraud aka Moebius is my greatest art inspiration. That folder I mentioned is 50% Jean Giraud art. So thank you a lot. That western comic that you mentioned, I don’t remember the name of it, but the style is the greatest and I guess ‘The Incal’, I think it’s called, is the other work that has a super great art style. He has a lot of different art styles and some of them are styles that I don’t try to copy, well, not copy, but be inspired by that much, like the surreal stuff he does, but his comic stuff is phenomenal. His linework and composition is what inspires me the most. I’m really happy that my work reminds you of his art style.

Q.: Did any real life places inspire this kind of forest settings?
A. (4:33:08): Yes, I’m trying to emulate the kind of shoreland that happens in the Finnish kind of räme/suo type of wetlands, or what are they called in English, bogs, marshlands, when you have a river flowing through, you usually have a really soft moss growing into the water, like the water beneath it but you can stand on the moss outgrowing, and eventually it’s grown thick enough so trees can start growing on it. Out here would be where there’s actually ground beneath it, that is moss that has been growing for thousands of years, it takes a long time to grow. So yes, those kinds of places and that kind of water. I actually look close when I visit these kinds of wetland areas for hikes. It’s definitely that kind of area where if you would walk in modern times, you would want to have planks to walk on it, because it’s dangerous to walk on it because you don’t know if the moss is thick enough to hold you and you can fall through, and then you’re trapped beneath this mess and you might not be able to get out, and you’d drown. This kind of thing is called a ‘suonsilmä’, meaning Eye of the Bog, and it will swallow you, and you will drown. This used to happen a lot, when people would go berry-picking a lot, without company and without cell phones, they would just vanish into the bog.

Writing: Character-creation, Pacing

Q.: I'm writing my own story based off of Finnish mythology. Do you have any resources for it, or did you get your ideas from growing up there?
A. (1:59:28): There are resources for it, but they’re mostly in Finnish, like what I’ve seen is that Finnish mythology isn’t really something that’s been super popular internationally, so there’s not a lot of translated works. I have a really big book about Finnish mythology, which is called “Suomalainen kansanusko”, with, like, a lot of information but it only exists in Finnish, so if you don’t speak Finnish it’s not going to help you. And other books on Finnish spells and stuff are only in Finnish, you can’t get them translated. The one thing that might be helpful is getting a translated Kalevala, which is the big national epos of Finnish mythology. There’s different versions of it translated, like, some are translated literally, some are translated trying to keep the poem structure, since it’s written in the Finnish runo poem style. So yeah, maybe try looking into one of those, maybe the one where you have the Finnish original and the translation in the same book, maybe that could help? Other than that, there’s not a lot of Finnish mythology stuff what I’ve seen in English. Like in contrast you can get a lot of Norse mythology stuff, because people know about vikings and things, so that sells; nobody knows about the Finnish mythology.

Q.: I too like the consistency of the story, but have there been any moments where you had to change your planned script of the story in the past?
A. (2:36:15): There are times when I adjust the script a little bit if I come up with a better idea and there are also times when I’ll write the script and there are places where I’m not exactly sure what I want to do and I just write a placeholder part to get the story to move past that space and then I see if I can come up with something better before I get to that place, and if I’m successful I will replace it with this new thing that I came up with. But I haven’t really changed huge parts after I decided what the story is gonna be.

Q.: I love your onomatopoeia. Do you spend a lot of time on them or do they just come naturally (because you are a genius)?
A. (2:39:45): [self-deprecating noise] Yes, because I have 200 IQ. No, they kind of come naturally. I see the scene and I try to...not really make the sound, but think of the sound in my head, how it would sound, and then I write down that sound. That’s how it comes. So I guess I’m able to kind of hear what’s happening if I try to envision it, or whatever the sound version of envisioning is.

Q.: Do you set aside days just for writing the storyline?
A. (3:48:07): Yes, that’s what I do during the chapter breaks. I have one week where I prepare the next chapter more carefully, and do a couple of buffer pages if I run out. That’s when I do most of the scripting—almost all of it. And then I do a big outline of the whole story before I start it. Now—the next adventure—I’ve already done the outline script so that I only need to focus more on polishing the individual chapters during breaks. Other than that, I do a lot of work in my head, like if I’m just going to bed, trying to relax, I might think about the story details for the future. A lot of the scripting is done by the time I sit down and finalize it.

Q.: Do you ever change the story once it's scripted?
A. (3:51:20): I change little parts, usually just by improving specific things if I come up with something better. I haven’t really changed anything major, that would take the plot in a different direction. When I’m in the stage where I’m thinking about major plot decisions, that’s the part where I’m changing things and removing things that don’t work out, and completely deciding to take things in a different direction. Especially when I start drawing something related to the plot point, I usually don’t change a lot.

Q.: What are your thoughts on using cliffhangers as a storytelling device?
A. (5:20:28): I don’t really have any specific thoughts on that. Unfortunately, I think that happens a lot with comics, because obviously you have to stop at every page. Scenes that wouldn’t normally be cliffhangers because they would be over in a few minutes because you just read them, become cliffhangers, but they can be really good if you end a chapter or even a book on a cliffhanger. It can make a person have to buy the next one to find out what happens. I’ve definitely read enough mangas and other comics like that in which you have to buy the next one because you don’t know if the main character is going to survive. Of course they’re going to, but you know.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »

Q.: While the comic takes in Northern Europe do you think there are any survivors in other places?
A. (5:47:16): I’m sure there are many places that have survivors. Some place that’s not too close to majorly populated places and that has an ability to get food from somewhere; like hunting or farming in safe place places that you can kind of wall off, you know, mountains, islands, those sort of places.

[ . . . ]

Q.: Did the rest of the world revert to their old ways as well?
A. (6:09:54): Well, if I was writing other societies in the SSSS universe, they would have similarly reverted to their old magic and beliefs and visual things from traditional stuff.

Picking these out to highlight because I think they're important, both to those of us curious about what's going on elsewhere in the SSSS world and to those writing about it, and to throw a little more light on some of the old conversations about diversity in the SSSS world -- to keep from hijacking I'll just say that Minna does seem to have assumed there would be diverse other survivors elsewhere.

And thanks to those who are transcribing this -- looks like a lot of work.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
I'll cover for Talimee if you don't mind.
Thanks Kis!!!

Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2018, 12:57:58 PM »
heheh, no problem (:

yeah, thorny, usually it takes about 6 hours and two or three people to cover most of the answers apart from minor mishearings and unclear words which would need additional run through a stream's recording and another hour to sort all of it. But it's quite amusing (at least for me) and profitable if you're still learning English. And Minna's voice is very nice!

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
Posting Saturday's chatlog now so that the transcribers can focus on transcribing Minna's mini Friday stream. As usual, the doc can be found here!

chatlog_010918

Trolls
Q.: Are there aquatic Trolls that look like Goblin Sharks? // It’s only freaky when you see them shoot their mouth.
A. (muted): Goblin sharks? I’ll have to Google that really quickly. Huh. Well, I’m sure a dolphin could turn into something like that, since dolphins are mammals. Yeah, that was one very unattractive animal. [laughs] I’m sure other goblin sharks find themselves really attractive, though, so no need to feel too sorry for them. // Ah? What? Oh I think I’ve actually maybe seen a video of that. They do that alien thing.

Q.: Would an internet troll with the rash make for some kind of Mega Troll?
A. (muted): [Something about it being just a regular troll on the internet since it would just be a random person sitting behind a computer.]

Characters
Main Cast
Q.: I've been wondering this since she was first introduced: are Sigrun's eyes actually violet, or just a really deep shade of blue?
A. (0:09:41): Well, I draw them violet just for comic reasons, because I like[am, like,] having characters with interesting eye-colors. Not really manga eye-colors, nobody’s gonna have bright yellow or red eyes, but they do give Sigrun a little bit of unnatural colors. But if it was more realistic portrayal of Sigrun, it would be more gray cold dark blue. But yeah, in the comic they are more violet. Emil’s eyes are also a little bit unnaturally turquoise. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone with quite that bright greenish-bluish eyes. Usually when someone has green eyes they are also a little bit darker.

Q.: Does Mikkel speak Bornholmian or Copenhagian?
A. (0:12:13): Oh, I don’t really know anything about Danish dialects, other than the stereotype that Danish people can’t really even understand what each other say. Like, the joke between Scandinavian people is that Danish is completely unintelligible, you can’t understand what they say and they can’t understand what each other says. But yeah, I don’t know anything about the difference between the dialects.

Q.: Will we ever get to see Lalli master the ability to change into his Luonto form in the future?
A. (0:29:26): It’s possible, we’ll have to see. It depends on if the story will call for it.

Q.: How come we haven't seen Tuuri in some of your recent sketches, like in the 'Day at the Beach' drawing?
A. (00:34:28): Because she is dead and it would be really weird to keep drawing her in every drawing, you know, going forward, since she obviously won’t be a main character anymore.

Q.: Mentioning how Lalli and Tuuri once went on an escapade to gather berries made me realize: would a young Lalli would know or care about the important difference between blueberries and belladonna berries? Because if not I worry for the poor sod who ends up eating whatever Lalli had been gathering.
A. (00:41:27): Yeah, I think he would know. I feel like any Finnish child would know what a blueberry looks like and what the different “do not pick” berries look like. At least, I’ve never picked accidentally any of the dangerous berries. I don’t know what the belladonna berry is or what it would be in Finnish, but yeah, I expect him to know.

Q.: You once said that Onni could never be a villain because he was too much of a wimp, but Emil might be - can you elaborate on what you meant by that, was it a joke or foreshadowing?
A. (00:42:25): It must have been a joke, *laugh*, Emil would not be a villain.

Q.: Is Emil suffering with greasy hair or has he been able to take care of it somehow
A. (01:01:29): In the current scene of the comic? Yeah, I think he would be having some problems with greasy hair but, you know, his hair is the kind where he would have to have, like, several weeks worth of grease before it would starts showing, so he’s not quite there yet. But yeah, he is suffering greatly right now.

Q.: If Emil and Lalli lived in our present day, what jobs would they have/what would they be studying in college?
A. (01:04:21): I feel like they would have some really mundane jobs. Like I know Emil would be having some really boring job, but he would have a motorcycle and he would go driving around the country looking cool and trying to not seem so boring when he’s out from work. And I kind of wanted to say that Lalli would have been forced into some sort of customer service like tech support job *laugh*, but that wouldn’t have worked out, he would be fired on day one. Maybe Lalli could work out as a programmer of some sort.

Q.: Modern day jobs/study subjects: how about Mikkel, Sigrun, Reynir and Tuuri?
A. (01:07:25): I think Mikkel would be working at some restaurant as a cook, and Reynir would be also working at a restaurant, like a fast-food place maybe? Or not maybe fast food, I was thinking they would be working on … or actually I’m not gonna say because I have planned a short comic at some point where we kind of see the characters in our times I think, so I’m not going to reveal everything that I’ve been thinking about on that subject.

Q.: In case of emergency can Lalli really shoot that cute thing in water with his rifle?
A. (01:36:12): No! It would be completely useless. *laugh* I mean, if it definitely came up, It has so much mass on top of its head, you can’t shoot its brain. They would have to run.

Q.: Can Lalli dance?
A. (01:44:45): Definitely not, and he would never agree to do it.

Q.: Who is the best dancer of the group?
A. (01:48:52): I think someone asked that last time, and I probably gave it an answer that I’ve forgotten so I’m going to give a completely different answer this time. Hmm. I think Mikkel would be good at learning, like, the kind of classic slow dances like tango, or I don’t know if tango is really ‘slow’ but, you know. At least not the crazy kind of dancing. And … that’s it. *laugh* Everyone else would be terrible.
(Note: A similar question asking about Sigrun dancing has been asked before in stream 040818, timestamp (3:20:--) under Characters)

Q.: Don’t know if this was asked before but if the crew has a chance to go anywhere in the world where would they go?
A. (01:57:57): The Canary Islands? They would all go there. That’s one of the main places where Nordic people go on vacation to get away from the cold.

Q.: Among other things that you have already talked about, was Lalli's upbringing by his parents influential in his behaviour?
A. (02:14:09): Not really, because his parents kind of didn’t get to raise him, his grandmother kinda took over and didn’t really let them have much say in it.

Q.: Does Lalli ever wonder how his life would've been if his grandma would've let him be raised by his parents?
A. (02:16:47): No, I don’t think he wonders about that. He has accepted his place in life.

Q.: Who did mostly teach Onni magic then? (see the question about Ensi’s relationship with Onni and Tuuri in Secondary Characters)
A. (02:20:43): There would have been other mages in the town, you know, ones that weren’t immune. They would have taught him. *pauses* And he would have also gotten more militaristic or military-specific training once they got to Keuruu.

Q.: Where does Emil's sudden attempt at manliness come from? He ran from trolls screaming for Sigrun not that long ago...
A. (02:39:51): Well, you know, he has accepted death, and that has awakened a stoic braveness inside him, and he would like to die in a non-embarrassing way. He has pride, you know. He’ll only run for help when he thinks that that’s actually going to keep him alive.

Q.: Did we miss seeing the crew celebrate Jul, or did they miss it? (Or has it not even happened yet in canon?)
A. (02:49:04): I think … actually, I’m not really sure, erm … I don’t really remember what time … No, yes, the mission did begin in fall, I think, so the Jul would have happened during the mission. I think I didn’t draw it because they maybe wouldn’t have really celebrated it, kind of in the same way that they don’t really celebrate each other’s birthdays because they are on a proper mission. They would have just said “Good Jul” and maybe Mikkel would have made a little bit extra good food, maybe? It wouldn’t have been anything special. Maybe I should have included it, but I didn’t *laugh*.

Q.: Could Reynir draw runes on his feet that would let him walk on water in the real world?
A. (03:35:14): I don’t think there is a rune for that, and if there was, I think it would have to be a very powerful mage. I doubt we will ever see Reynir walking on water in the real world, unless I decide to go super cartoony one day and have him run so fast away from some monster that he just runs right across the lake.

Q.: What would Sigrun's version of a perfect day look like?
A. (04:02:59): A great victory against some horrible giant in the mountains, and then a great feast back in town. Nah, actually this day would be just a feast without having to do the work. She’s a warrior, but she doesn’t love work that much.

Q.: If a friendly dog approached Lalli, would he pet it?
A. (04:30:20): Yeah, I guess, if it was like a calm dog that just came close to him, but if it was like a jumpy one or one that’s tried to lick him in the face or something, he would definitely not be too happy with it.

Q.: I'm curious, how much input did everyone have into their outfits this time around? Did they get to choose their clothes?
A. (04:59:11): Yes, in the comic I think we’ll see some of them getting to choose their own clothes, and some just pick some that’s lying around. But yeah, they’re not uniforms this time like they were in the last parts of the comic.

Q.: What would happen if the characters from SSSS met the characters from A Redtail's Dream?
A. (05:03:49): Well, there would be kind of a staring contest between Hannu and Lalli and probably Emil, because Hannu was kind of personality-wise a mix of Lalli and Emil, and those kinds of personalities might not get along when they first meet just as Emil and Lalli didn’t exactly… well, Emil was friendly and Lalli was the one who wasn’t interested, really. The rest of them, I guess they would get kind of along. I guess Hannu was the kind of character who would try to get away from all of them.

Q.: Would anyone in the crew listen to ABBA?
A. (05:22:49): Well, I guess the obvious answer would be Emil since he’s Swedish. I don’t know, maybe someone in his family would have kept or inherited some ancient ABBA CD. The rest, probably not.

Q.: And what song would be their favourite, if they do?
A. (05:23:14): I can’t answer that because I don’t know enough ABBA song titles *laugh*. In fact, I can’t think of a single one. Wasn’t like Waterloo one of their songs? I feel so uneducated right now.

Q.: What do you think is the best/most interesting reason why Mikkel's been fired?
A. (05:27:21): I like to actually keep those kind of wrapped under mystery, because it’s more fun for everyone to kind of matching their versions or reasons for why he would have been fired. Sometimes if you reveal too much about some things in your story it kind of loses its allure and mystery.

Q.: Are there any Shrek fans on the crew?
A. (06:03:46): Ehhh, oh my brain is shutting down completely. For a moment, I couldn’t even remember what Shrek was. I’m going to have to say no, they would not have been able to see that… or maybe I guess Emil would have been rich enough, and maybe his family could have obtained an ancient DVD player that still worked, but I don’t think Emil would have enjoyed it. The concept of the ugly gremlin (or whatever Shrek was supposed to be) being the savior of things would have really annoyed him.

Q.: Who among the crew do you think would like to draw as a way to kill time between salvage runs, or maybe just recreationally in general?
A. (06:25:25): I’m trying to remember because I think I did that one extra page after they had found kitty somewhere around those parts where they all drew a picture of her, and I’m trying to remember who I decided would be good at drawing. It might have been Mikkel, but I don’t know if he would actually like to draw. *thinking to herself* Who would like to draw? Reynir, would you like to draw? Maybe Sigrun would like to doodle. Ah, she wouldn’t be any good at it, but still.

Secondary Characters
Q.: Did Aino Hotakainen end up having to do a sauna birth after all after the world ended?
A. (0:13:01): Yeah, I think she would have. It would have been a proper return to tradition, and of course the child she gave birth to was blessed with magic.

Q.: What was Ensi's relationship to Onni and Tuuri?
A. (02:17:54): Fairly distant. She wouldn’t have been visiting very often, she would be working, out in the forest mostly. I think she would have, before Lalli was born, probably tried to train Onni a little bit in the ways of being a mage but would have given up since he wasn’t immune and she wouldn’t have been able to take him out into the forest. She would have been pretty indifferent towards them, but still would have recognized them as her grandchildren and had some level of protective, uhm, I don’t know how you would say… protective… mind about them? (Words do not come easy today)

Q.: Did Tuulikki and Jukka got to see Lalli any often?
A. (02:25:12): I think that was the namesake of the parents, I don’t quite remember *laughs*. If that was his parents, then I guess they would have got to see him like once every few weeks. And, you know, they would maybe stay for a week or so in the town.

Worldbuilding
Q.: Minna, do Finnish babies still sleep in boxes in Y90?
A. (0:07:57): I guess that’s the reference for äitiyspakkaus (maternity box) that you get from the government when you become a parent and is like a baby essential box? The box itself can be used as a cradle. I don’t know if the government would be giving out free boxes in Y90. It’s the luxury of the modern day.

Q.: Bornholmian is a lot closer to Swedish than Copenhagian is so Swedes can pretty much understand them. (follow-up to the question about Mikkel’s accent)
A. (0:14:00): Oh, that’s really cool. In that case, I would say they would probably be speaking some sort of Bornholmian with a little bit of influence from Copenhagian, since a lot of people would have fled and be rescued over time and be reintegrated into their society, so yeah, I think they would be speaking something close to Bornholmian, which could explain why Emil has been able to learn to understand him [Mikkel] so fast. That’s really good to know. For some reason I thought that Bornholmian would be more difficult to understand than regular Danish.

Q.: Christianity has a lot of elements (e.g. festivities, traditions) that have an origin in pagan religions. Do Y90 Nordic and Finnish religions have, likewise, inherited elements from Christianity?
A. (0:21:53): Yeah, because a lot of the mythology and, you know, “pagan” traditions in the Nordic countries have also been influenced by Christianity, you know, during the time when they kind of co-existed before Christianity became the main religion. So yeah, a lot of the non-Christian holidays and traditions in the Nordic countries still have some Christian influences, and they would still be there, because I kind of write a lot of traditions the way they exist today with more elements from whatever texts I happen to read to get information from. I’m sure there would be a lot of Christian influences that one could find.

Q.: How is football holding on in Y90?
A. (00:54:41): I was really confused for a moment when I read that because I thought ‘football holding’ was a thing that you were asking about and I was like “what is football holding? Is that something people do?” *laugh* But yeah, “how is it holding on?” Erm, I don’t know, actually. I mean, football is a thing that happens in the Nordic countries, and obviously in Iceland it’s a pretty big thing since they’ve been doing so well in the, you know, whatever the sports thing is that people care about. I don’t care about sports at all. I only know about it when it’s on the regular news for some reason, and by regular news I mean the economic news, I don’t even see the regular news. But yeah, I guess it would be holding on in some form. You know, you don’t need a lot of land to play it. In Iceland it would be played, I’m sure. But obviously the problem in the Nordic countries is that you need grass to play it, and the further north you go the less there is type of the area which actually has the grass to play on, it’s mostly just mud and snow and ice. Although in Finland I guess they would be playing suopallo, which is football except it’s played in a bog, or a swampy area, or just a mud pit. And it’s really just about people running around *laugh* in the swamp and kicking mud at each other and the ball is maybe a little bit secondary, but yeah that’s a pretty popular thing around here.

Q.: How authoritarian or democratic are Y90 governments? I would find it kind of weird that in a society were the military seems to be at the top of the pecking order it doesn't have a more"hands-on" attitude when it comes to politics
A. (01:12:29): Well, they would be super authoritarian because obviously they have to make sure nobody risks the whole society by doing something wrong, but the societies are so small, like, they are all less than 100,000 people, so they’re not like governing a huge country of millions of people. There’s just small cities, really, or large towns that are being governed, so everybody kind of agrees on the rules so there doesn’t have to be a lot of police stating, or that kind of thing. Like, in the Nordic countries, usually when there is a “you have to do this now for the sake of the country or we’re all going to die”, like during World War II, especially in Finland, people will do it, people will give their lives to protect the other people in the country. So when you have the countries be so small, like in the tens of thousands of people, everybody would kind of agree to the rules if it meant staying alive. Also the governments would be super small, it would be just a few people ruling. And really, they only would be deciding about security issues, obviously; they’re not exactly being weird about people’s lives as long as people aren’t endangering the society, and threatening to break into the secure areas.

Q.: I'm curious how Siv and her fellow researchers trained in science. Do you think there are university equivalents in Y90, or did a bright-eyed child get a job with an institute and learn on the job?
A. (04:03:56): Yeah, they would pretty much learn as interns on the job. I’m guessing there is some equivalent of universities, but they wouldn’t be that large. And I do think they would be a lot more hands-on and direct career-oriented. It’s obviously the post-apocalyptic world, you can’t really waste resources on students just studying something and maybe not even deciding to work in that field.

Q.: Do the Moomins still have pop-cultural relevance in year 90?
A. (04:28:55): In Finland, probably, because there are so much items and like things to eat from, like cups and things like that, that have Moomins on them. Like, they eat a lot with Moomin cups that are kind of like a collection item, and like every family would have to have some, so, you know, they’d be around definitely.

Rash, Magic and Ghosts
Q.: It's only in dreams that Finnish mages can change into their Luonto's form, right?
A. (0:23:36): I think so, but they might be able to use..  you know, obviously Lalli was using his luonto in the real world in different ways, but I don’t know if they would be able to transform into their form not in the Dreamworld. I’m not gonna say definitively because I might come up with a really great idea for a plot point so I’m not gonna chat anything out.

Q.: I recall the Rash was first spotted on some illegal immigrants on Spain, their origin beyond that a mystery. Did you have some origin point thought out? Would there be any survivors there?
A. (02:04:10): No, I kinda kept the actual origin as a mystery kind of because, well, it adds mystery to it *laughs*. But also I didn’t want to kind of specify what it could have been because I had different ideas, like it could have been a bioengineered like some sort of government disease, or it could have been a terrorist-engineered disease, it could have been something that originated in a jungle like an Ebola mutation kind of thing, and someone traveled past and caused it, or it could have been something that came from space in a meteor and it fell somewhere in the desert and someone stopped to take a break on the rock or something. In the end, I didn’t want to decide what the origin was so I had to kind of mask the origin in some way where it could be plausible that you wouldn’t be able to pinpoint where it was from. In the very very early script version that I didn’t write down but I remember I had in my head I actually had the origin properly in the lab, like I would have showed it in the prologue and I hadn’t decided what country it was? Maybe it was Germany or Denmark or somewhere in central Europe maybe, kind of like how they usually do it in movies where you see the outbreak start from some sort of lab. After I started going kind of crazy with magic and mythology stuff I decided that if I defined it too much I would kind of limit what I could do with it without people being like “Um, that doesn’t make sense.”

Q.: Will we be meeting any Icelandic Mages? I'm really curious to see what Reynir can learn; assuming he survives longevity enough to learn...
A. (2:53:25): Yeah, we’ll definitely get more into the Icelandic magic part in the future.

Q.:  Given the religious and symbolic closeness of the spear to Óðinn, is the weapon favoured by Icelandic Mages?
A. (03:32:41): No, in the comic, the Icelandic mages aren’t reliant on any combative rules. They would be kept far away from harm. They’re mostly for defensive and medical-related magic. They would be given a gun, just in case they need it.

Q.: So if Icelandic Mages are too sensible, what about Norwegian Mages?
A. (03:40:27): Well the Norwegian mages are … well, Icelandic mages aren’t actually Icelandic mages; they are Norse mages, and they would be in the same group as the Norwegian mages, trained in the same arts and have the same tasks. So the actual warlike Norwegians would be not mages, they would be fighting on the front lines.

Q.: How is your kitty today?
A. (0:10:53): Kitty has been really good, she’s been extra snuggly today! She came and snuggled in the morning after I gave her food and I went back to bed because I was able to, I didn’t have to do anything special today and she came and snuggled a little bit with me, and then she came and snuggled with me again a few hours ago when I was doing a little bit of sketching for next pages. And then I became really worried because she usually doesn’t want to snuggle more than one time a day, so I was like “Oh no, are you dying?! Is that why you want to snuggle today?” But she’s been acting normal otherwise, so I shouldn’t be too worried about one extra snuggle a day.

Q.: How is your drinking water today? Still bad?
A. (0:16:04): Yes, it’s still bad! It’s actually been expanded, first it was my little town where the water was bad because there was a pipe leak, but they did more water tests and the larger town nearby (nearby means tens of kilometers away) also has their water contaminated, so it’s actually not caused by the pipe leak, because it’s a mystery and now you should boil your water before drinking, the thing has been extended to all the surrounding areas too, so it’s not getting better. But apparently it’s not super-dangerous, no one's gotten ill, but there is bacterial contamination in the water system and I guess the bad part is that they found it in one of the central water towers and the filtering system in place should prevent that from happening so they’re like “We have no idea how this happened.” It seems that we’re going to have to fetch our water from the tankers for a little while still, probably a few weeks. It’s been three weeks now, and it’s probably going to be another month.

Q.: Have you seen the video of the Finnish man scaring away a bear by shouting 'PERKELE'?
A. (0:17:35): Yeah, I have. Someone linked it in the comments section, and my mom has also seen the video and she was like “Have you seen that video with the man going ‘PERKELE’?!” and I knew which video she was talking about.

Q.: Are there any Redtail's Dream hard copies left to get anywhere? I missed the last time you sold a bunch...
A. (0:27:57): No, they were all sold out back then years ago but I am planning to do another print for them together with Hiveworks now that they can help me, I wouldn’t be able to do it on my own. That’s coming up next actually, once we’ve wrapped up the Book 2 Kickstarter and all the backer copies have been sent out and it’s calmed down a little bit and the books have been added to the store, and then we will start working on A Redtail’s Dream Kickstarter. It’s probably gonna be some time next year. Pretty early next year, I think. No set dates yet, but it’s definitely on the horizon.

Q.: Not including places you've traveled to so far, to which places would you want to travel to in the future?
A. (0:30:40): Hmm, there's a few places. Visiting America would be really great. I kinda want to go to America and eat all kinds of stupid fast food that I’ve seen on TV. And I guess Canada would be cool to see, you know, the nature, it’s similar, obviously, to what’s over here but I guess there’s a lot of really cool mountains and waterfalls over there. And I would really like to visit some part of China some day. That I’m kinda scared of, because I wouldn’t be able to read signs, which terrifies me (the thought of going somewhere where I can’t read street signs) and that’s horrible. And there’s so many people! Crowds terrify me. But I do want to go there someday, I think I’ll have to go with a tourist group so that I don’t get lost and have to cry somewhere in a corner until someone comes and helps me. And I guess Japan would also be cool to visit, although it has the same problem with street signs and too many people scaring me, but yeah. I guess those are the places that I feel I would like to visit someday.
The street sign problem is...it’s, like, even going to a country where I kinda understand the language like France. even though could technically read the street signs and use Google translate, I just feel so lost all the time if I can’t read what’s around me. And I’m naturally a really anxious person, so I’m always really scared of getting lost.

Q.: On average, how large is the file size for a standard completed page? Do you export the page as a png/image file or keep it as a psd file?
A. (00:46:13): The original files of my pages (otherwise I have two pages on one file, uh, you know, the whole spread in one) and I think it’s around … 300 Mb? The original with all the layers and, uh, you know, dialogue aspects, text layers and stuff like that. Um, yeah, it’s pretty large. I have a professional Dropbox just to store all the humongous files. I probably have about one terabyte of just original comic files, also A Redtail’s Dream files are included in there. And when I export for the Web, I just crop out the one page and save it as a jpeg. But yeah, I keep the originals as psd’s.

Q.: I've been meaning to ask this for awhile but the comic downloads on A Redtail's Dream’s comic site do not work, is there any other place that they can be purchased and downloaded from?
A. (01:27:28): Yes, those links do indeed not work. The downloading service that I used back then, I don’t have access to it anymore, and my credit card for it expired, and so obviously the download shut down because of it. But yes, they do exist elsewhere, I put them up on Gumroad. I combined all four of them into one, they used to be two euros or dollars, I don’t remember, per mini comic, and I combined all four of them into one 5 dollar package I think, and put it on Gumroad. I don’t remember if I put the link anywhere. I posted it somewhere in like Update Post, since people were asking about it, but I’ll have to see what the link is.

Q.: *people talk about pies in the chat*
A. (01:42:41): Oh I see people talking about pies in the comments. Making me hungry. No, that’s a lie. I don’t really like pies. I don’t like the apple or blueberry kind of pies and I definitely don’t like the idea of a meat pie. So all pies are a big no no. I’ll be honest, I think I’ve only had pie once in my life, like an apple pie or something. And it wasn’t great, it was very mediocre, but it did come with really good vanilla sauce though, and I think I was one of the weird kids who would just go up and get vanilla sauce instead of any of the pie.

Q.:What are some of your favourite foods?
A. (01:44:56): The foods I like are really simple, I usually like really plain tastes. I like a regular non-vegetable inclusive lasagna, and I like in the same vein pasta bolognese, it’s basically the same food except in a different format. And a meat pizza, or I guess it’s also called a pizza bolognese, although then I’m a little bit picky about what the tomato sauce tastes like. I’ve tasted a lot of pizzas where it’s supposedly it’s the same, you know, obviously it’s cheese, meat and the tomato sauce, but if it’s even a little bit too sour I will not be able to eat it, or I will eat it, but I will not enjoy any of it. And I like chicken nuggets and hamburgers and I like ...erm... I realized I’m just listing all kinds of really unhealthy fast foods *laugh*. I really like fast foods. So I guess it’s good that I live in a small town where I don’t really have access to any of that, so I have to be healthy and eat just fish soup and, I dunno, meatballs. Fish soup is definitely also one of my favorites, but there’s only one special specific kind of fish soup: you try to feed me anything with, again, vegetables in it, it’s a no go.

Q.: What’s the most unusual dish you ever ate?  //  Do you mean blodpudding?
A. (01:49:53): I’ll have to think...since I’ve pretty much refused my whole life to eat anything unusual … hmm, yeah I really can’t think of anything. Like if I go to a restaurant and someone in my family has ordered like squid or something, and it’s “oh, who wants to try the squid?” I would never try the squid. Never once in my life. I would only eat something that smells good and looks good and when I poke it with my fork, it seems like the mixture is something that I will enjoy, otherwise it will stay on the plate, or I will hide it in a napkin and sneakily go and throw it away. That’s what I used to do in school, back when the teachers would watch you and make sure you eat whatever you have to eat. You know I guess maybe the most unusual food that I actually enjoyed is like those blood patties, they’re kinda like small pancakes made mostly of blood, or blood mixed with some kind of flour. You shove them in your mouth and they are yummy and sweet and taste very bloody and have a lot of iron in them. They’re not really unusual in that they are obviously a common food over here, but maybe internationally it would sound kind of gross. *pauses* Oh, and they’re not like blood patties in that they would be meat and blood or meat that is really bloody, it’s just the blood and some sort of thickening materials like flour or wheat.  //   No, not pudding! They’re like … actually, let’s see if I can find a Google image. *Minna searches in Google and posts a picture on stream* But yeah, that’s a common thing that you can buy in any tiny grocery store around here. I don’t enjoy it enough that I would actually buy it and eat it as an a adult, but it was one of the few foods in school that I would actually kinda enjoy. Most school foods were completely uneatable. I think that’s why I stopped eating lunch and dinner and only ate one meal per day, because I would always skip school lunch and only eat at home, so obviously over the years my body adapted to eating one warm meal per day. *reads a comment* Looks like liver? Yeah, it actually has a similar taste since liver and blood are both really rich in iron and have this irony taste, kinda weird sweet taste of blood which comes from the iron. The Swedish word for those was blodplättar, at least that’s what they were called in my school, since I went to a Swedish-speaking school. Not blodkorv, that would be mustamakkara, and they are proper sausages, those are not sausages. Those are a lot softer than sausages, they’re kinda something in between a pudding and sausage consistency.

Q.: Do you like pancakes?
A. (01:58:26): Yeah, I like the really thin kind of pancakes, not the actual pancakes that are one centimeter thick. I like the kinds that are really really thin, like the kind that are kind of like crepes, that kind of consistency or thickness, but sweet instead of savory. I really like those kind of pancakes, they’re called lettu or ohukaiset over here, but I haven’t had any in years because *clears throat* eh, I can’t make them! *laughs* I tried to, but I’m just not able to, I will either burn them or they will end up too thick and gooey on the inside, or they will break when I try to flip them in the pan, and it’s just a misery. The last time I had them was when I was living in Sweden because you could buy frozen plattar, and they tasted perfect if you put them in the oven for a few minutes, they become crispy and soft and it was amazing and you can’t get those in Finland. You had to make them yourself, and I’m not good enough at it. Which is a good thing because I would be eating them every week and get really unhealthy.

Q.: The first ones always go bad. (follow-up of previous question)
A. (02:00:35): Yeah, but I made a whole batch that was supposed to be twenty of them, and every single one got messed up. Like, there wasn’t even an improvement, like the first ones would be really bad and the last ones would be almost there. I couldn’t get anything right. Actually I think I tried twice, because I bought a properly sized pan after the first time, obviously doing the naive thinking of “Oh maybe it’s not me, maybe it’s the pan” And I bought the proper lettupannu type of pan and the failure was just as great. I kind of gave up. I would obviously learn if I tried enough but, you know, I took it as a sign as I should not know how to make them unless I’m ready to become fat and unhealthy.

Q.: Did you ever plan on making any more of those spell translation pages like the summoning the moon one? I've been looking back through my Book 1 recently, and I really like that page.
A. (02:35:27): Yeah, originally I was thinking I would do more of them ... but then I never did *laugh* because it was quite a lot of work, almost as much as one whole comic page, so it wouldn’t have been worth it. But I would like to do more, and I think I will in cases where there is some spell where it would be really good for everyone to understand what was actually said. But I don’t think I will do a lot of them just because there’s better things to spend my time on. That kind of sounded like I don’t think they’re worth anything, but I don’t know how to phrase it more delicately. There are other more useful things that take priority, I guess is a better way to say it.

Q.: Use stream to make spellpages (follow-up of previous question)
A. (02:37:50): It’s a possibility, but there are so many other illustrations that I want to draw! I have so many ideas that have kind of piled up over the years because I haven’t had really the motivation to do any of them, and now I really want to draw all of them, and the spell pages are not very high up on that list.

Q.: I recall you saying something about making a new design for the site during the next adventure...would you consider adding a feature that would allow you to switch between comic pages using the left and right keys on your keyboard? One of my friends mentioned that when I was showing him the comic the other day.
A. (03:36:16): Yeah, I could add that. I think I might have to poll about it because there’s also the problem that some people don’t have screens that necessarily fit the whole comic page, or there might be viewing it in a window position that is taking up the whole screen, and they use the arrow keys to navigate up and down, left and right to read the page and the keys that you type to go into the next page then that would kind of mess it up for some people. But yeah, I can do a poll and ask what people prefer to see, the amount of people would be bothered by it, if it’s none or one.

Q.: If you were forced to spend a year living with one of the main characters (not including Kitteh, cause that's too easy), who would it be?
A. (04:17:22): Hmm, a year? Is this like I’m trapped in a cabin with them kind of situation? Or am I free to go and come as I please? In either way, my first instinct was to say Lalli because obviously he would leave me alone to my work, but I feel like he would be kind of messy and leave unwashed dishes all over the place and drive me crazy, so maybe Mikkel because I think he would also leave me alone and work on whatever he is working on, except the difference is that he is a capable adult who would be taking care of his own mess. Probably even wash my dishes, because I can’t exactly claim that I am the tidiest person. I said “Oh, he would leave dishes all over the place”, and then I look at my tables and I see every single dish that I own is somewhere on some table. I’m not so filthy that my dishes would have like gross, smelly food in them, I tend to actually dump them under the water faucet at least once before I leave them on the counter, and most of the cups and things like that that are lying around I just drank water from them and then left them on the table. I’m not a disgusting person *laughs*. I feel like I was starting to give that impression. I want to make it very clear that I am not.

Q.: Have you done any timelapse recordings of your art before?
A. (04:49:02): No, I don’t think I have. I might have done, like, years and years ago, a short one, I seem to remember … no I haven’t done a timelapse, I did a really short recording just to show how I colored my first comic series, but other than that, no.

Drawing: Inspirations, Techniques, Process
Q.: What's the context for this drawing? Would it actually be a scene that's takes place at some point in the next comic?
A. (0:05:39): Well, this scene could possibly take place in the next part of the comic because it’s appropriately set in summer and they have the right costumes but I don’t know if it will be an actual scene. I could add it in a short one-page scene, they wouldn’t be attached by the monster, I don’t think. Yeah, it’s not gonna be a crucial moment, it’s more of a setting piece, something that I could use as miscellaneous non-spoilerish advertisement and things like that, because I haven’t really had any good illustrations to use for that kind of things until now, I only have vague portraits of the characters standing around and not really doing anything, so that’s the purpose of this piece. Something that I can add in tweets when I tweet out and like “Heeey, people, read my comic if you haven’t seen it before! This is what it looks like!” And then people will think that the comic actually looks pretty good and be tricked into reading it.

Q.: Minna, what is your favourite aspect of SSSS as a story?
A. (0:15:07): I guess the fact that I get to draw a lot of scenery from places where I’ve been and the kind of scenery that I like, because I really like drawing Nordic types of forests and landscapes. That was the whole point of the first idea that I came up with, I just really wanted to see post-apocalyptic Nordic scenery, and then I thought of making it into a comic somehow. So I guess that’s my favorite aspect. I get to draw things that I like to draw.

Q.: That's awesome! I was a bit starry-eyed when I was on the bus to Copenhagen because so many of the landscapes were so recognizable. (Especially around Odense, but Copenhagen itself as well.)
A. (0:18:07): Well I’m really happy about that, because Danish landscapes are what I’m least good at or what I’m least familiar at because they’re obviously very different from the forests in Sweden, Finland, and Norway. And also I’ve been to Iceland a couple times and to Denmark only once so I was like “Ohhh, this is gonna be really difficult! I haven’t really done farmlands and flat areas before.” But then I was able to do it justice and make it recognizable in a way. I do always use a lot of Google maps references when I try draw some area to make sure I get the vegetation and land variations and rock formations and ground type and everything correct.

Q.: After you finish this drawing what will you draw next or ideas you have for future streams?
A. (01:10:15): Next I actually think I’m gonna draw, since a lot of people have been requesting it for several years, one drawing where Reynir wouldn’t have his hair in a braid, where it’s like loose and properly visible. So yeah, I think that’s what I’m gonna try to do next week.

Q.: What program do you use?
A. (1:32:19): This is Manga Studio. Nowadays I think it’s called Clip Paint Studio? But it’s the same program.

Q.: Oh my god I thought Clip Studio Paint and Manga Studio were different programs.
A. (1:34:52): That used to be a big, confusing aspect of the program. I think it was originally branded Manga Studio, and then it got popular in more Asian areas, with manga-related artists and then some American company bought it and they wanted to rebrand it, because when you call something Manga Studio a lot of people assume you can only draw manga on it and it’s obviously meant to be used for illustration and things like that. so they rebranded to something more general, that doesn’t really say what exactly it can be used for, and at some point they were both used, the original company was selling it under the license of Manga Studio and the American company (or maybe it was UK or Germany-based) under the name of Clip Paint Studio, and I guess recently the name Manga Studio has stopped existing, because I guess the western studio bought all the licenses and that’s the only name it’s sold under now. But I bought it when it was Manga Studio still, so the program I have still appears as Manga Studio.

Q.: You did a lot of development of how you wanted the style of the comic to be before it started, but it evolved and changed over the 900+ pages. Is that from getting more comfortable with the way of coloring? And how do you feel about the change?
A. (02:44:38): I feel like the change has been happening over several years, and is happening because my taste kind of changes. The way I liked things to look in the beginning isn’t the same way I want things to look now, so they started changing because of that. And part of it is also maybe some development, and they may be (because I’m not sure) some things like maybe color choices are a little bit, I don’t know, more balanced than they were in the beginning. But, yeah, I don’t really have great control over how my style has changed, because it hasn’t really been deliberate, it’s mainly just been happening and I look back at older pages from last year and the year before that and before that, especially when we were at the beginning of the books, and I’m also a little bit surprised at how many different styles I see just within one book. Because even just within one year I will go to different paces about how I like to draw things. I guess I like my current style that I’ve arrived at, I feel like it’s been fairly stable for the last year, and I’m really trying to not let some sudden inspiration or admiration for some style influence me too fast or too noticeable.

Q.: Is there any color theme for a chapter that you really regretted? Or really liked?
A. (02:50:17): Well, there was that chapter where they were attacked for the first time by the ‘Sleipnope’, as he’s called, and his gang where I had like a yellow and black and a little bit of purple kind of color scheme and I felt like it was really difficult to work with at the time, and I  really regretted it at the time, but I looked at it recently and it’s actually not that bad *laughs*. So yeah, that’s the one that I really remembered that was really difficult, but I guess it wasn’t that bad after all. I think that if I was to say the worst color choices they would be the really boring ones where I would just look at them and go ‘ugh, not that interesting”. I don’t remember them because they aren’t interesting, so I wouldn’t be able to say which chapter specifically.

Writing: Character-creation, Pacing
Q.: Do you have any regrets for any story elements you've established in your webcomics so far? Like something you established long ago only to realize "Wait, that could have been done better in this way, or at Y instead of X." Anything like that?
A. (0:19:35): I can’t really think of anything that I regret establishing. It’s more like I feel like I’ve forgotten to include or expand on a lot of elements that I kinda started to implement and they kind of fell by the wayside and I kind of forgot that they existed. It’s more in that direction that I regret. I did a lot of designing of vehicle types and what the technology and stuff looks like, and then I ended up not getting to use any of it, because the adventure has been so far from new civilization, and it’s going to continue being like that. But I do think at some point I’m going to get to use my cool worldbuilding in the societies I’ve been planning. Yeah, I can’t remember anything that I regret including, because I think that I have the tendency that if I get bored with some idea, I just slowly kind of work it out of the story, so you won’t even notice that it was there, and then I forget that it existed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:27:25 PM by Mebediel »
Butter good.

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2018, 05:37:05 AM »
Oh, right, it's Saturday already. Thank you. Eh, should've finished Friday's chatlog yesterday  :-\

Upd: also, I have to apologize. In the chatlog for the stream of the 11th of August I wrote that Minna played only Dawnstar and Oblivion (TES games) this year, which is a mishearing, she actually played Don't Starve and They Are Billiions. Sorry for disinformation. (Everything's fiine now - I've already edited the original entries in the doc)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:15:29 AM by Kis »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2018, 06:18:20 AM »
Q.: Did we miss seeing the crew celebrate Jul, or did they miss it? (Or has it not even happened yet in canon?)
A. (02:49:04): I think … actually, I’m not really sure, erm … I don’t really remember what time … No, yes, the mission did begin in fall, I think, so the Jul would have happened during the mission. I think I didn’t draw it because they maybe wouldn’t have really celebrated it, kind of in the same way that they don’t really celebrate each other’s birthdays because they are on a proper mission. They would have just said “Good Jul” and maybe Mikkel would have made a little bit extra good food, maybe? It wouldn’t have been anything special. Maybe I should have included it, but I didn’t *laugh*.
I guess I should take that as official confirmation that we also crossed into Y91 sometime during the expedition ...

Q.: Who among the crew do you think would like to draw as a way to kill time between salvage runs, or maybe just recreationally in general?
A. (06:25:25): I’m trying to remember because I think I did that one extra page after they had found kitty somewhere around those parts where they all drew a picture of her, and I’m trying to remember who I decided would be good at drawing. It might have been Mikkel, but I don’t know if he would actually like to draw.
That'ld be here; cross-reference for artist ID here. I'm not much of an art critic, but I would strike Sigrun and Lalli off the shortlist. ;) Not that willingness to draw would necessarily coincide with talent, of course ...

Q.: What’s the most unusual dish you ever ate?  //  Do you mean blodpudding?
A. (01:49:53): [...] You know I guess maybe the most unusual food that I actually enjoyed is like those blood patties, they’re kinda like small pancakes made mostly of blood, or blood mixed with some kind of flour. You shove them in your mouth and they are yummy and sweet and taste very bloody and have a lot of iron in them. They’re not really unusual in that they are obviously a common food over here, but maybe internationally it would sound kind of gross. *pauses* Oh, and they’re not like blood patties in that they would be meat and blood or meat that is really bloody, it’s just the blood and some sort of thickening materials like flour or wheat.  //   No, not pudding! [...] The Swedish word for those was blodplättar, at least that’s what they were called in my school, since I went to a Swedish-speaking school. Not blodkorv, that would be mustamakkara, and they are proper sausages, those are not sausages. Those are a lot softer than sausages, they’re kinda something in between a pudding and sausage consistency.
Match found, it is a rather international concept to also make livestock's blood into dishes, as you can see, but using the term "pudding" for that (or meat) is a pronouncedly British thing IIUC and prone to cause confusion pretty much everywhere else. 8)

Q.: What's the context for this drawing? Would it actually be a scene that's takes place at some point in the next comic?
A. (0:05:39): Well, this scene could possibly take place in the next part of the comic because it’s appropriately set in summer [...]
... in summer. Well, I guess that means that they won't be doing another campaign into the Silent World in the next arc. Not even the Quartet's crazy enough to send them there during Get Eaten Season. (And the fact that they get new uniforms for the trip precludes a getting-marooned-there-against-plans scenario).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
Oh, right, it's Saturday already. Thank you. Eh, should've finished Friday's chatlog yesterday  :-\
No problem! It's the least I can do since I wasn't able to make Saturday's stream. I also just looked over Friday's chatlog really quickly and it looks like everything has already been edited and organized, so I'm going to go ahead and post it. I hope that's alright!

... in summer. Well, I guess that means that they won't be doing another campaign into the Silent World in the next arc. Not even the Quartet's crazy enough to send them there during Get Eaten Season. (And the fact that they get new uniforms for the trip precludes a getting-marooned-there-against-plans scenario).
I may be very, very wrong, but since the crew's new equipment also includes weapons for everyone, including Onni + last week's livestream was of the crew in their new uniforms about to be attacked by some water troll, they're probably somewhere in the Silent World, although possibly not as deep into completely new territory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As promised, the chatlog for Friday's inking stream!

chatlog_070918

Trolls
Q.: So why were the Dusklings talking in white speech bubbles most of the time? And did any of them escape from the giant?
A. (0:17:25): The white speech bubbles mean that they were speaking not telepathically, and the black speech bubbles are some sort of distorted monstrous speak. Somehow they still had working vocal chords. And I think maybe some of them escaped, the ones that were smart enough to actually start running and not turn back.

Q.: Would the big worm-y troll on the most recent page (the one that ate all those notoros) be a really large troll, or a giant?
A. (1:02:54): It would be a giant; it has a few people fused in there.

Characters
Q.: Has Sigrun’s fylgja been determined yet?
A. (0:11:40): I think I determined it as a Norwegian or Icelandic-style horse—well, not Icelandic—some sort of Norwegian workhorse. And her counterpart, Emil—no, not Emil—Mikkel, was able to be determined. They’re similar-sized, strong animals.

Q.: Will Reynir be given firearms training, since he's still going to be a part of the crew as a non-immune mage?
A. (0:19:30): Yeah, he would be given basic firearms training, but he would actually already have some? I think in Iceland most people would be given some firearms training, just in case. You know, they’re walking somewhere and infected polar bear happens to strand on Iceland and they would have to shoot it.

Q.: I really hope Emil and Lalli at least are running in the right direction xD
A. (0:21:12): Well, Lalli’s a scout, so he would at least be able to pick the right… south-west...whatever those are called, directions based on the sun. If it was just Emil, he might be running in the opposite direction accidentally.

Q.: Speaking about FF, does Onni count as a summon?
A. (0:45:40): No, he would be a summoner. And Kokko would be the summon.

Q.: Is Emil making "omg, we've missed the ship" face, or is it "omg, my hair is so ruined!" face? xD
A. (0:58:10): No, he’s supposed to make a “I can’t believe it, I’m still alive!” face. Nyehh. [laughs] I’ll try to make it into a little bit more of a smile.

Q.: Who has bigger eyebrows now, Emil or Mikkel? [regarding the drawing]
A. (0:59:30): Mikkel has bigger, Emil just has really dark eyebrows, so they sometimes look more prominent.

Q.: What did Emil and Lalli eat while they were separated from the group? Did Emil manage to feed Lalli during that time? When was the last time Lalli ate?
A. (1:00:00): I think they had… Emil had a little bit of that soup that they had with them before Lalli passed out, but I don’t think they really ate anything after that point because you can survive for several weeks without eating, and it’s only been a few days, so they’re at that part where they don’t really feel hunger, but they haven’t started starving just yet.

Q.: Out of curiosity, prior to their first venture into that infested building to find books, has Emil ever really fought a troll before (not counting what happened on the train)?
A. (2:31:56): No, not really, he has been kinda on a not very high ranking squad in the cleansers team, or no, not team, you know, where he was working, heh, so he would have been doing cleanup jobs after the real big-doers have been doing dangerous parts. He would have only been seeing fights from a little bit of a distance. And he himself would have to fight tiny rat trolls or rat beasts, not anything human-sized.

Q.: If Trond was a pokemon professor, what would he study?
A. (1:37:15): For some reason I want to say Pokemon eating-related things like digesting systems and food chains. I think there’s pokemon that eat rocks and trees and things like that. I mean, trees, I guess, make sense,  some animals can eat trees, too. But rocks? Ah, there’s definitely something to be researched in that area.

Worldbuilding
Q.: So on the uniforms collar you drew the emblem and three little round things surrounding it. I gathered one of them is the flag of their nation. but what are the other two? Immunity? Profession? Something?
A. (0:40:48): Yes, they would have been marks of their profession. But I was really lazy with them and don’t always bother drawing in more than just the main emblem.

Q.: How did you come up with the Swan of Tuonela as a bureaucrat, speaking of professions?
A. (0:43:13): I have no idea, really. I can’t remember.

Q.: Let's say I wanted to make a cosplay... what would those marks of profession look like?
A. (0:43:35): Hmm. Well, they would be pretty simple, like two-color emblems, like some sort of black and red moose emblem, like that, something simple, but I haven’t actually designed them, I don’t think. I was going to at some point, but since I wasn’t really drawing the markings properly, since they’re so small, I think I never did. The only one I think I designed is the cleansers’ info, the one with the cat and the flame right there [sketches out design in margins of screen], it’s in one of the info-pages, I think, but other than that, I don’t think I designed one for a warrior or the rest of the professions. If you want to use the buttons, use something kind of believable, use some sort of simple heraldic animal designs, like animal heads. Like maybe a moose head and a bull head and some eagle head, things like that.

Q.: If the crew wanted to have any kind of pet (aside from Kisa) what do you think they would choose?
A. (2:01:05): I mean, dogs are pretty nice, obviously. Reynir would have a dog at home and Mikkel probably too, on the farm, you know, immune dogs. I don’t know about the rest. If you can’t have a cat, a dog would be a second-best, in my opinion.

Q.: Have you ever thought about what types of pokemon any of the crew members would have if they were trainers?
A. (2:10:05): Yeah, I actually drew — last year, I think — a wallpaper where all of them had a pokemon assigned to them and also had, like, team leader outfits. I think Lalli was a Mystic-type of team leader and he had a Meowstic, a psychic cat pokemon, and Emil was a Fire-type trainer or team leader, obviously, and he had a Arcanine, and Sigrun was a Fighting-type of team leader with a Mienshao, and then we had Mikkel, I think, he was not a team leader, I think, he was a pokemon setter-type of worker and he had a Blissey, Reynir was an Ice-type trainer and he had a Glaceon, and Onni was in the picture too, he was a Ghost-type trainer and he had a... oh what’s that new owl-type... the Ghost-type owl... Decidueye? Yeah, he had that big owl ghost pokemon, and Tuuri was a Water-type gym leader with a Pelipper.

Q.: How is Kitty doing tonight?
A. (0:04:15): Fine, I think. She’s still sleeping.

Q.: Have you ever thought about occasionally playing a game in one of your livestreams instead of drawing for a change? Maybe even playing some games where people from the stream could join in too?
A. (0:09:11): I probably won’t, or if I do it it would be really rarely because I in general avoid playing games because that’s time I could use being productive. And I would rather draw than play games, even though I love playing games. I just feel really bad afterwards. The only times when I allow myself to play games is during my designated chapter breaks where I want to relax. I might play, you know, now and then, if I’m playing and feeling like streaming and hanging out with you guys anyway. But I wouldn’t make it a regular thing, I don’t think. And the only game I’m allowing myself to look forward for this year, or the remainder of this year, is the new DLC for Don’t Starve. And the second game I’ve already allowed myself to play was They Are Billions. And I have played it enough! And do not allow myself to play it anymore.

Q.: Do you think you could try drawing other things in the crew's art styles? It would be really interesting to see how each crew member would draw their own interpretations of a troll for instance.
A. (0:14:14): Yeah, that could be potential bonus content in the future.

Q.: What times do you usually upload new pages?
A. (0:23:04): I try to post around 2 AM my local time, but depending on what I’m doing or if I happen to be on an evening walk and come home late, I try to at least post at between 12 AM and 4 AM and then I go to bed; I try not to stay up later than that.

Q.: How'd the outline prompt for saturday's stream turn out?  //  I meant the sketch of Reynir with his hair down
A. (0:26:39): I don’t know what an outline prompt is, please specify in different words. *pauses* If you mean the sketch, I haven’t finished it yet.  //  Okay, so I almost understood. The sketch I haven’t finished, I’ve only done color composition sketch, that one I really like. I made it yesterday already, after the stream—not yesterday, last week, Sunday, and I really like it, but I’ll have to actually sketch in his face and everything. I can maybe show at the end of the stream the color composition sketch, because it looks pretty good. But yeah, it doesn’t have anything you can really call a proper sketch yet.

Q.: Did you see all the tips on how to make pancakes on pg 961? // I can also throw a pretty good crepe recipe your way if you’d like. That and carrot cake.
A. (0:29:43): I did, actually. It did tempt me to try again, I might have to, when I have cravings next time. Actually, what I think I have to do is buy the kind of pan where you make miniature versions of the mini-pancakes, because the huge problem I have is that I can’t get the thickness right: it will end up too thin and break all over or too thick and basically be garbage at that point. And also the flipping is impossible; I can’t do it without breaking it. So I think maybe a smaller one to kinda learn the ropes would help. You know, the kind where there is a big pan and then there is, maybe, 7 ot 8 tiny slots just for that purpose. I’m hoping at least it would be easier and I would have seven chances then and one of them turns out okay; it wouldn’t be a complete failure. // Thanks, but I don’t actually like crepes. I only had them once—I think my dad made them kind of as a “let’s experiment with non-Finnish foods” stuff like that—and it was really weird to me because the consistency was the same as Finnish pancakes, but they were savory, not sweet, and you were supposed to put meats and things on them, and it felt so weird and wrong! And carrot cake—eugh carrots! I hate carrots. No thank you. If I’m gonna eat cake, it better be something really delicious, like chocolate or ice cream or meringue.

Q.: Do you have a favorite necromorph type?
A. (0:46:26): Yeah, I think my favourite was the one that was spitting acid. It had its whole chest eroded away by the acid it was vomiting. I thought it was a really cool design, with you being able to see its lungs and innards.

Q.: The marks could be a fun idea for button pins for the Hiveworks store? [see first questions in Worldbuilding]
A. (0:47:09): Yeah, they would be. I have a lot of ideas I should and could do. I just need to take some time and work on some new stuff for the store.

Q.: What's your favourite part of making a page? Sketch, inking or colouring?
A. (0:57:00): Inking and the clean-up part of coloring, because they both are parts when I can not focus 100% and can listen to music or people talking (podcasts or YouTube videos), but the sketching part and the color-sketch part I have to focus a lot [on], so that’s difficult, so I don’t like it. But this part is pretty relaxing as long as I have a good sketch. If I have a really bad sketch, I have to focus a lot more.

Q.: [Not exactly a question, just Minna talking about her art process. Included here as it is likely of interest to those reading the logs.]
A. (1:05:28 to 1:06:42): Took about one hour, which is about what I tend to aim for if; you know, I have these size panels, or one row of panels, I try to aim for one hour, so if this was one panel (one large one), I would give it one hour if it had a background, and you know, two next to each other, 30 minutes per. So, that’s pretty good. And obviously, when I have really large panels with a lot of detail, it will have to take as much time as it needs; it can be two hours, even. And of course if it’s a whole-page mega panel, I give it all the time all the small panels would have been given otherwise. So it can be five hours of inking for one, or even more, six, seven hours for one full-page panel.

Q.: You said the adventure was close to over... how many weeks can we still expect to have of this one?
A. (1:15:07): Less than a month, at least. I have a hard time visualizing what pages I have left. I know exactly what pages I have left, I just have a hard time counting them in my head. I have to check.

Q.: What page size do you usually work in?
A. (1:59:55): I’ll have to check. Let’s see... 8500 times, 6 times and 200 and that’s two pages, obviously, so the width would be 4250 something. Not too big, that’s actually bigger than I would need it to be. Let’s see how this would print in centimeters... The height would be half a meter, which is way bigger than the actual comic page is when printed. I think I could be drawing this at almost half the resolution and it would still be large enough to be printed. I think the comic page or the book size is, like, 27 cm or something like that.

Q.: Not a question but maybe a suggestion: right now seems to be a good time to start an Indiegogo or Kickstarter for a comic. People seem to be flocking to those platforms to give lots of money to comic artists.
A. (2:34:40): Yeah, we’re gonna be doing probably one every year with Hiveworks, because obviously I’m finishing almost one book a year and I’m currently two book behind, because I didn’t do any for two years, I was a little bit burnt out from the first book, you know, fulfilling that all on my own, from my home, and I can’t stand the thought of doing that myself. So I waited a couple years until everything was ready, but… Yeah, people are getting more and more into the kickstarting and using Indiegogo for comics, but how much money you get for your comic isn’t really dependent on how popular the platform is. Yes, people are flocking into the platform, but they aren’t just browsing to see if they can find something interesting to back. People back comics that they already know, either by knowing the creator, like, knowing that they had done previous work, or they are fans of the creator from some other avenue; you know, you can be just an artist that has a big fanbase, that has [set their eyes to do] a comic and kickstart it and you will have a lot of money from your fanbase, but if you just go on Kickstarter without a fanbase beforehand, you will not make a lot of money, even if there’s tons of other people making money and people spending their money there; they won’t care about your work. And with that I’m trying to say that it doesn’t really matter that it’s right now really hot to be kickstarting a comic, it’s gonna be just as successful half a year from now. *pauses* What always matters is just taking care of making good product and building a fanbase that’s loyal to your product and not a platform.
Butter good.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
Have I already said how wonderful the transcribing team is? I didn't? Oh... TRANSCRIBING TEAM, YOU'RE WONDERFUL HUMAN BEINGS, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »
Agreed! This thread is a gold mine for those of us who can't make the livestreams!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2018, 01:13:06 AM »
Have I already said how wonderful the transcribing team is? I didn't? Oh... TRANSCRIBING TEAM, YOU'RE WONDERFUL HUMAN BEINGS, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Agreed! This thread is a gold mine for those of us who can't make the livestreams!

Thank you for thanking us!   ;)

No problem! It's the least I can do since I wasn't able to make Saturday's stream. I also just looked over Friday's chatlog really quickly and it looks like everything has already been edited and organized, so I'm going to go ahead and post it. I hope that's alright!

Yes, of course. I just finished it on Saturday instead (:
And also thanks to people who wrote the words I couldn't make out in that log

So much thanking all around, heh