Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 143253 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
The Video Games Thread
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
A little place to talk about games and gaming.  What've y'all been playing lately?  Got any favorites, un-favorites, mixed emotions?
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
At the moment work sort of puts a lid on gaming. Been playing a little bit of Civ 5 multiplayer recently, some Space Engineers (indie game), Garry's mod and a little bit of Monster Hunter Tri.

But you can bet being swamped in work makes me dream about playing some of my old favourites: I want desperately to play some Metroid 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Phoenix Wright ... ugh, the list goes on. It would be impossible to list all my favourites really (although Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid 3 definitely are the top two). I also want to try out Tales of Vesperia. I've heard it's really good.

I also can't wait for the new Smash Bros to be released for Wii U. I am a massive Nintendo enthusiast.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
I like games-of-building-stuff; sandbox games like Minecraft but also open puzzle games* like the awesome SpaceChem, which is basically a visual programmation game, very interesting but also quite challenging (allegedly less than 1% of the people who bought the game actually completed the default levels —not to mention the challenges and custom levels; there is a free demo avalaible, however).

*: By "open puzzle game", I mean a puzzle game where instead of there being only one precise and unique solution per level, you often can come up with dozens of ways to solve a level, fine tune them to see what works best, try to find a more optimal solution, and so on —it's less "puzzle" and more "flexible problem solving"
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
At the moment work sort of puts a lid on gaming. Been playing a little bit of Civ 5 multiplayer recently, some Space Engineers (indie game), Garry's mod and a little bit of Monster Hunter Tri.

But you can bet being swamped in work makes me dream about playing some of my old favourites: I want desperately to play some Metroid 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Phoenix Wright ... ugh, the list goes on. It would be impossible to list all my favourites really (although Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid 3 definitely are the top two). I also want to try out Tales of Vesperia. I've heard it's really good.

I also can't wait for the new Smash Bros to be released for Wii U. I am a massive Nintendo enthusiast.
I really wanted to get Space Engineers.  Needed to hold off to keep those 20-odd dollars, though.  Yeah, my new work schedule is keeping me from playing much.  The last thing I played was Just Cause 2 (with lots of mods, of course) a couple weeks ago.  During summer vacation, before I started at my job, I was playing ... lots of stuff.  Mostly Pokémon, at the end of it, but also a lot of Kingdom Hearts, The Last of Us multiplayer, and Terraria.

I've never played OoT or any MGS game.  Haven't had the opportunity.

I like games-of-building-stuff; sandbox games like Minecraft but also open puzzle games* like the awesome SpaceChem, which is basically a visual programmation game, very interesting but also quite challenging (allegedly less than 1% of the people who bought the game actually completed the default levels —not to mention the challenges and custom levels; there is a free demo avalaible, however).

*: By "open puzzle game", I mean a puzzle game where instead of there being only one precise and unique solution per level, you often can come up with dozens of ways to solve a level, fine tune them to see what works best, try to find a more optimal solution, and so on —it's less "puzzle" and more "flexible problem solving"
You might like Hexcells.  It's kind of a flexible puzzler, and it's great.  It's like Minesweeper meets Sudoku, so there's lots of ways to solve each puzzle, but only one answer.  The last couple levels are a pretty tough challenge.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
I really wanted to get Space Engineers.  Needed to hold off to keep those 20-odd dollars, though.
It's pretty fun for a while, not really worth the 20 USD though. Now that they've got steam workshop support I hope to see more content and hopefully some new game modes though. It's more of an investment in game with potential really.

Also I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure Space Engineers is nowhere near actual engineering despite its pretentiousness.

I've never played OoT or any MGS game.  Haven't had the opportunity.

You what!?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
It's pretty fun for a while, not really worth the 20 USD though. Now that they've got steam workshop support I hope to see more content and hopefully some new game modes though. It's more of an investment in game with potential really.

Also I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure Space Engineers is nowhere near actual engineering despite its pretentiousness.

You what!?
I've played in betas before and it was really enjoyable, but yeah, 20 bucks is a bit much.  I got Starbound when it was on sale for $2, and put over a- uh, way too many hours into it during Christmas vacation last year.  Overgrowth is really fun, too.  I just wish the betas got more updates.  Have to wait months at a time for anything new to happen. 

The engineering I'm doing at work is really simple stuff.  The hardest part about it is just getting all the damn paperwork filled out.  I would have liked working at NASA, where they do the real hardcore stuff, but that's a dream of a dream, now.

I've played Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and I loved both of those (especially Twilight Princess.  Soooo good), but I've never gotten the chance to play the others, or MGSs.  My first console was a PS2, so I missed out on all the Nintendo-y goodness of the N64 days.  It was always the thing that my friends had that I knew I'd never get, because my parents are stingy about games.
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Lately? Skyrim. Skyrim. Skyyyrim.

I've been having major fun modding it, and modding it, and modding it again. Also exploration. I've found so many odd things, little easter egg type stuff, it's great. Favourite so far has been Bard's Rest or something, where I found this piece of architecture over a 200 meter or more drop that looks like a diving board made of stone, that only an idiot would jump off... which I consequently DID (after making a save point). Twice. First time I landed very wrongly and died, second time the ghost of the last bard that jumped off that place appeared, upgraded several of my skills, and told me the sad sad tale of his ludicrous death.

As for other games... I'm a PC and Nintendo DS gamer only. But I've played a large variety of stuff on those two :P
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fenris

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:37 AM »
Recently, a bit of Tropico 5, Europa Universalis IV and Dragon Age: Origins. Also been doing some mapmaking on Warcraft III, although I rarely play the game much these days.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:38 AM »
Currently I'm playing Wind Waker HD... Or I would if I could but the noise bothers my roommates who are both reading for exams and whatnot...

I'm not going to whip out a list of my favorite games since there's too many but let's just say that I am SO HYPED about the pokemon remakes! And also Dragon Age III. And the... Wii U Zelda games.. And Bayonetta.

I'm going to go broke.

Past games I've played a lot.. hm, Skyrim and Dragon Age... Animal Crossing New Leaf.. All of the handheld pokemon games... Pretty big titles.

One random favorite is Broken Age, in steam! I can't wait for them to publish the second part!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:54:31 AM »
Currently I'm playing Wind Waker HD... Or I would if I could but the noise bothers my roommates who are both reading for exams and whatnot...

I'm not going to whip out a list of my favorite games since there's too many but let's just say that I am SO HYPED about the pokemon remakes! And also Dragon Age III. And the... Wii U Zelda games.. And Bayonetta.

I'm going to go broke.

One random favorite is Broken Age, in steam! I can't wait for them to publish the second part!
Cool, so I'm not the only one who really really wants to get the new Pokemon games.  I cannot wait to get me a 3ds and start playing those.  The ones I'm waiting for right now are final fantasy 15, Little Big Planet 3 (!!!), and... Can't think of anything else cause I'm rushing out the door, but lots of things. This will be a tough year on my wallet.
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:09:27 AM »
Cool, so I'm not the only one who really really wants to get the new Pokemon games.  I cannot wait to get me a 3ds and start playing those.  The ones I'm waiting for right now are final fantasy 15, Little Big Planet 3 (!!!), and... Can't think of anything else cause I'm rushing out the door, but lots of things. This will be a tough year on my wallet.

FFXV looks so silly, haha. The roadtrip memes have already started to pop out... I don't have PS4 so I doubt I'll be able to play it any time soon.
Go get your 3ds right now! There's plenty of good games for it already... Pokemon XY is fine, but somehow it felt very distant. But games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing were very good, I enjoyed them a lot.

Mr_Nabby

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Man, I haven't played much games at all lately. I haven't had the time. But when Mother 4- The Fangame comes out this winter I damn well will make time!

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
Usually strategy games. Railway Tycoon, Age of Mythology and XCOM: Enemy unknown. But lately I've gotten the hang of Skyrim, after some excellent advice from people on this forum. So right now it's mostly that.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

FFXV looks so silly, haha. The roadtrip memes have already started to pop out... I don't have PS4 so I doubt I'll be able to play it any time soon.
Go get your 3ds right now! There's plenty of good games for it already... Pokemon XY is fine, but somehow it felt very distant. But games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing were very good, I enjoyed them a lot.
It does.  It looks completely stupid, but it looks like sooooo much hack n' slash goodness.  That's the same argument for playing Kingdom Hearts; totally stupid universe, story, etc., but the sword fighting is just fantastic.  Also, if you want a PS4, wait.  Wait for the games to come out and wait for the price to drop another 50-100 USD.  Right now there's only like 2 games worth getting for it.
My first pay day at my job was today so, depending on how things go, I might be ordering a 3ds pretty soon.  (*cough*Might pander for friend codes on here*cough*)

Usually strategy games. Railway Tycoon, Age of Mythology and XCOM: Enemy unknown. But lately I've gotten the hang of Skyrim, after some excellent advice from people on this forum. So right now it's mostly that.
Beware Skyrim.  I played it in high school, so I was safe, but I've lost roommates to that game.
Feel free to PM.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:37:07 AM »
I see why. I live with a guy who's played I don't know how many hours of that game, and others, for years. Right now it's war in the pacific. (I stole my avatar from one of his EVE characters since he called it my name). That is kinda how I'm introduced to new games BTW, from looking over his shoulder and seeing which ones I like. But yes, these past days after I've managed to play the game without getting motion sickness, I have been strangely.. tired..