Author Topic: Introducing the Calendar!  (Read 1301 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Introducing the Calendar!
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
There is now a calendar option for the forum in the menu bar above.
This calendar displays some holidays, special SSSS dates, birthdays (if you have chosen to put them in your profiles) and events that users create. Right now there are a few events that I have already put in such as the art style swap deadline.

Events and holidays will display on the main forum page, birthdays will not.

To add your birthday to the calendar: you just need to put it in on your profile. Do not create an event for your birthday, the forum will add it automatically if you have it in your profile.

If you do not want your birthday to displayed on the calendar, you remove it from your profile. If you want your birthday but not your age to display in the calendar, you just put in the day and month of your birthday in your profile settings, but leave the year blank. If you want your age and not the date, just put the year and it will display your age only on your profile.

If you want to create an event, hit post event on the calendar tab. It will take you to the create event screen. Fill out the event specifics. Note that in the bottom before you hit create it will ask you if you want to start a new thread for the event. If you just want to post an event without creating a new thread make sure you uncheck the box that says link event to post. Otherwise it will assume you want to make a thread for the event and take you to a post screen. If you do create a thread with your event, the event will show up in the top of the thread where the polls usually do.

The calendar is not viewable to guests.

This is an experiment. Feel free to voice opinions, thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc about the calendar here. If it ends up being more trouble than it's worth we will remove it. If people like it and it is useful we will keep it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:50:38 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Introducing the Calendar!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
This is great!!!
Would it be possible to make it so the current-month view shows above the smaller 3 months?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mélusine

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
That's a good idea *Thinks to the meet-up* :) *Takes notes for some birthdays too*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »
This is great!!!
Would it be possible to make it so the current-month view shows above the smaller 3 months?

It is possible, Eri is working on it. It should be fine in a week or so :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »
Couple quick questions off the top of my head:
  • I take it that the layout isn't quite as intended? (See screenshot; I'm on a laptop with a 1366x768 display.)
  • No special marker (bgcolor) on "today" that I can see, nor a "return to today / current month" button ... ?
  • You're introducing week numbers - U.S. numbering, I guess, seeing them start with Sunday?
  • For the title: No BBcode, nor any other way to link to a(n external) URL instead of a thread, and silent truncation to some length limit, it seems?

native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
Wow, very handy!

If there is an existing thread or post (say, from Minnion Meetups), can you link to that when adding an event?
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
Couple quick questions off the top of my head:
  • I take it that the layout isn't quite as intended? (See screenshot; I'm on a laptop with a 1366x768 display.)
  • No special marker (bgcolor) on "today" that I can see, nor a "return to today / current month" button ... ?
  • You're introducing week numbers - U.S. numbering, I guess, seeing them start with Sunday?
  • For the title: No BBcode, nor any other way to link to a(n external) URL instead of a thread, and silent truncation to some length limit, it seems?

Eri is working on fixing the layout. It'll be a few days though because he also has school and life things to do.
There is no today marker, it does not give that option in the settings.
The calendar is set to US numbering because the forum is based in the US, so that is the default. The forum does not give us the option to change this, but it might be possible to look into the code format to change this. As it is though there is nothing I can do to change the layout.
Same with the BBC code. There is no way to change that for the calendar in the settings.

Things I can do in the admin settings:
prevent guests from seeing the calendar
add/display/edit/remove holidays, events, birthdays
tell the forum what to display on the main page
extend the years of the calendar (right now it has 2012-2020)
turn the calendar on and off

Anything else would have to wait until Eri or Hush is able to look at the code for the calendar.

Wow, very handy!

If there is an existing thread or post (say, from Minnion Meetups), can you link to that when adding an event?

Yes this is possible! I just did it. In order to link to an existing topic, you go to the thread you want to link and you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and there should be a button that says link to calendar and you just click that and create an event. It will link the first post of that topic to the calendar.

Edit: You can only do this if you were the one who made the OP for the thread or an admin/mod.
Here's what we'll do, if you make an event that should be linked to an existing thread, just make it on the calendar and I will come by and link it to the thread (or just ask the person who made the OP).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:19:13 PM by Feartheviolas »

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
Yes this is possible! I just did it. In order to link to an existing topic, you go to the thread you want to link and you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and there should be a button that says link to calendar and you just click that and create an event. It will link the first post of that topic to the calendar.

For advent calendar purposes, probably would be handy for meetups etc as well, is it possible to link to a specific reply, rather than the first post of the topic?
And if not, could some kind soul magic it so?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »
For advent calendar purposes, probably would be handy for meetups etc as well, is it possible to link to a specific reply, rather than the first post of the topic?
And if not, could some kind soul magic it so?

It works like the polls, so it doesn't go to a specific post. It goes to the whole thread.

One way we could get this to work is to get the event set in the calendar to link to the specific message id of a post, instead of the topic id. It would still display on top of the thread, but the url would be to a specific post. I don't know how to get it to do that though since it is not in the admin controls. This is something for our code wizards as well.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »
Quick heads up:
I made it so that today is highlighted, at least that was easy.
The layout is broken for one of those mysterious CSS black magic reasons and I have yet to investigate it, so that's why I said a week to Viola, but hopefully I'll figure it out sooner than that.
The rest requires looking under the hood, so that'll take a little time as well.
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
It works like the polls, so it doesn't go to a specific post. It goes to the whole thread.

One way we could get this to work is to get the event set in the calendar to link to the specific message id of a post, instead of the topic id. It would still display on top of the thread, but the url would be to a specific post. I don't know how to get it to do that though since it is not in the admin controls. This is something for our code wizards as well.

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE URLS TO LINK TO POSTS!! I think I might be able to do this for you.

Edit: I'm working on it, this will be 100% possible in the future though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:55:40 PM by Feartheviolas »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »
Granted I can only see what chrome dev tools show me, but I think one of the problems with the layout might be that the main calendar part (or at least the .cat_bar div) is set to clear on both sides.

(of course, that might just mess up something else. CSS black magic, yay.)

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
Maybe a rule suggestion, in order to prevent the calendar thing from going out of hand and people adding controversial things : "don't add dates to the calendar that aren't directly related to SSSS, the forum or its members"?
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Maybe a rule suggestion, in order to prevent the calendar thing from going out of hand and people adding controversial things : "don't add dates to the calendar that aren't directly related to SSSS, the forum or its members"?

Support!

Do we do the support thingy? Support anyway. Mosty because I'm not interested in non SSSS-related events on here (there are plenty of calendars elsewhere), because it would clog the calendar, and yes, because it has the potential to be controversial.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Maybe a rule suggestion, in order to prevent the calendar thing from going out of hand and people adding controversial things : "don't add dates to the calendar that aren't directly related to SSSS, the forum or its members"?
Support!

Do we do the support thingy? Support anyway. Mosty because I'm not interested in non SSSS-related events on here (there are plenty of calendars elsewhere), because it would clog the calendar, and yes, because it has the potential to be controversial.

Yes this is perfectly reasonable. Events should be pertinent to forum activities or to SSSS.
Holidays can only be added and changed by admins, so holidays shouldn't be a problem.