Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392227 times)

lwise

• Scout
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4425 on: January 27, 2022, 04:07:42 PM »
It also harkens back to the first page, where the Kade killed a bunch of those little birds.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4426 on: January 27, 2022, 05:58:28 PM »
Yes, I was thinking that also, about the birds echoing back to the beginning.

If this had been the end of adventure 2 with an adventure 3 upcoming, I would have thought it was quite a good ending. As it is -- I doubt we're going to get, one page at a time between now and "spring" (what's "spring"? Equinox? Warm weather where Minna is? Something else? Minna may not have a clear idea, of course) -- anyway, I doubt we're going to get enough tying up of loose ends and insight into all the character development left out of the later part of adventure 2 to come anywhere near satisfying most of us.

However, it is what it is. And it is a nice page.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4427 on: January 27, 2022, 07:55:57 PM »
Indeed, nice page. And we have fanart and fanfic to continue the story. Because real, living stories never end.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Maple

« Reply #4428 on: January 27, 2022, 09:45:10 PM »
I already have a few ideas for something to write as a continuation from here. It will have to wait for my current project to finish, but the extra epilogue should be done by that time.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4429 on: January 30, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
I like the ending, in a way. If you read only the pages after Emil goes to sleep, it creates a plot hook for new adventures, ending on the calm bear's sleep.
Although lots of possible dialogue got skipped, at least the "physical necessities" (return to safety, death of Surma and Kade, release of Tuuri & Grandma) don't have loose ends.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4430 on: February 25, 2022, 07:22:53 PM »
The Kickstarter for Book 4 went live, in case y'all weren't already aware. 
Spoiler: show
I'm a little late - I was busy working, but saw discussion when I checked Discord before bed.  In the old days, I would have leapt back out of bed and rebooted the computer to bring you these tidings, but... well.

I know many of us have concerns about the news that Kickstarter is using blockchain, but here is the link anyway.  I don't know any other way to get the book in a timely fashion.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #4431 on: February 27, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »
IIRC hivemill mentioned that if KS leans fully into blockchain, then hivemill would just set up a regular preorder system (or some other alternative). This tweet says this is the last one that'll use KS.

Everything aside, the prologue's been pretty cute so far, and I'm glad Lalli seems a bit more comfortable with the crew since he struggled with that in the beginning.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4432 on: March 13, 2022, 09:35:07 PM »
Oh it's not just the crew if it ever was. Now that he's not being bothered by Danish spirits he has no shared language with; language barrier is weakened since he did learn a little Swedish and Emil has learned Finnish (don't know about Reynir); he is in his home country now and Onni is around too. No trolls, no nasty beasts; no sleep deprivation, plenty to eat...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
  • Preferred pronouns: Your Lordship
« Reply #4433 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:01 AM »
I already have a few ideas for something to write as a continuation from here. It will have to wait for my current project to finish, but the extra epilogue should be done by that time.

Do tell - I had a similar idea.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4434 on: March 18, 2022, 03:41:59 PM »
Are these snowmobiles using some kind of gasoline? Because if yes, where did that come from?

If not, why are they making such noise? Electric snow mobiles exist even now, and one of the best features is relative silence.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4435 on: March 18, 2022, 04:51:47 PM »
Are these snowmobiles using some kind of gasoline? Because if yes, where did that come from?

If not, why are they making such noise? Electric snow mobiles exist even now, and one of the best features is relative silence.

Maybe they run on alcohol from a still.

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
  • Preferred pronouns: Your Lordship
« Reply #4436 on: March 18, 2022, 05:13:35 PM »
What about an offshore oil rig that's still being maintained? The crew would've had an easier time of it when the rash it (I mean yeah sea beasts exist but the bigger rigs are pretty sturdy). Granted, it'd still have to be processed into gas and it sure wouldn't be cheap but seagull guy seems like a big enough wheel to get priority.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4437 on: March 18, 2022, 05:53:53 PM »
We have Word of Minna that there are no operational oil rigs and no petroleum industry. But yeah, alcohol or some sort of biodiesel might be a possibility. The ships we’ve seen look like they have combustion engines too.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #4438 on: March 18, 2022, 07:24:01 PM »
Petrol does lose its volatility over time.  Though most of it would be through water or junk.  I would assume if you find a store and go deep enough to avoid water in the bottom,  you can get something useful. 

Also the addition of dry gas (usually a alcohol based chemical), can replenish.  A snowmobile is a rather simple engine.  It is the electronics that make it complicated.  So I would assume it can be useable. 

The only thing would be more smoke, as the stuff would not be pure at all.

Also, there is this petrol you can buy that is supposed to last a long time without degrading.  When we bought our generator, we bought some of this in case of an emergency.  So if it is that kind of fuel, who knows
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:33:13 PM by dmeck7755 »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #4439 on: March 19, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »

Maybe they converted the engines to work on oil. 
I don't know elsewhere, but for a while you were able to purchase kits that allowed you to change a Diesel engine to one that would use oil.  In the US getting rid of cooking oil is really expensive.  So places like McDonalds or any fast food place spend a significant amount of money to have the stuff hauled away. 
Recyclers places won't take it, you can't dump it. So people were able to get free oil.  They would just need to clean/filter it and they were good to go.
In Germany and Poland they grow lots of rapseed (canola?) for biofuel.  I would think that year 90 peoples would know how and probably improve on the process (Provided they can keep the machinery going, or redevelope manual processes

You could also burn straight crude.  Though it would smoke a lot and smell really bad.

Silly tangent about oil disposal
Spoiler: show

Many people would flush oil down the drain and cause other issues
(Think of those fat-bergs. I remember one they had to clean out in London a few years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatberg. and https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/12/550465000/behold-the-fatberg-london-s-130-ton-rock-solid-sewer-blockage. https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/feb/04/fatberg-museum-london-display-pickling-age-waste if you are curious. Be warned they are really gross)

imagine a fat-berg troll EWWWW

I thought of other ways also.  (I feel a story coming on..).

It is interesting there are ways to modify engines to use other materials.

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa