Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392339 times)

yung_chrysanthemum

Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4335 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:16 PM »
In a comic filled with all kinds of eldritch horrors (ceiling troll will always haunt me), the way Mama Bear literally fell to pieces... that struck me as being rather graphic. The shock of Mama Bear's violent end displaced the emotional impact of dying with her dead babies for me, I think.

Unrelated: I just realized we have emoticons for the SSSS characters??  :reynir: :torbjorn:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #4336 on: December 12, 2021, 01:48:53 AM »
Wonder what he's going to do about the missing skulls?
Reynir the troll bait beast standhang-in?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4337 on: December 12, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
Apparently there was a tiny bit of skull there. Hope it's enough to work.

-- Kitty looks extremely comfortable.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4338 on: December 13, 2021, 04:43:35 PM »
I like this page, both for the art and for the dialogue. Partially because it shows my beloved landscape again, but for other reasons too. The characters are being themselves!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

catbirds

« Reply #4339 on: December 13, 2021, 05:32:59 PM »
Yeah, this page was decent! I can't believe the resolution that SSSS was headed towards for the past eight years was Nepotism though, but it's funny so oh well!

Good that Lalli successfully made it up there too.

Mikkel's ghost shoulder on the left is kind of distracting, but I'm sure it'd make sense once the page is formatted into a full spread.

thorny

« Reply #4340 on: December 13, 2021, 07:19:00 PM »
Ahhhh, skulls in a tree finally, where they belong.

I also like this page. Everybody is indeed being themselves. And I even like the smoke trailing through it.

Whether everybody wants to go live with Sigrun remains to be seen; though I don't know whether we'll see it. If the comic ends with them all still together, though, that's OK by me.

philman

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4341 on: December 14, 2021, 05:23:57 AM »
Yeah, this page was decent! I can't believe the resolution that SSSS was headed towards for the past eight years was Nepotism though, but it's funny so oh well!

Good that Lalli successfully made it up there too.

Mikkel's ghost shoulder on the left is kind of distracting, but I'm sure it'd make sense once the page is formatted into a full spread.

I get the feeling that Sigrun's idea of what her father will think of them is rather different to what he actually will.

Still, it is nice to know where the comic would have been heading next (Till Norge!), and it is probably the country we know least about.

catbirds

« Reply #4342 on: December 16, 2021, 02:42:22 AM »
Huh... the end of the fights of this adventure were really unsatisfying to me. I thought there'd be more to that. Oh well! I've said it before, I'm vaguely glad it's close to over.

Spoiler: rambling about visual communication for this page • show

I also feel like this page would've been a lot better with a transition panel or, as a lot of other comics have done, a little box saying the location. I'm trying to imagine flipping to it in a printed book, with the colour palette suddenly turning 40 shades lighter... it'd be pretty confusing. Recently I've been feeling like SSSS isn't exactly polished in terms of visual communication, but I'm not sure if that's just because I've been in design classes or because the level of detail here has gone down.

thorny

« Reply #4343 on: December 16, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
As to the spoiler: She did something very like that with the color palette in the prologue; pages 55 and 56. In that case, though, readers do get a two-word large print explanation of what changed.

As to the current page: he'd better not be!

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4344 on: December 17, 2021, 06:23:29 AM »
New theory: the seagull test is a bit of a trial by fire. Kadeified people don't feel the pain, so don't respond; safe people suffer and flail.

Stoic Onni is in trouble!

Actually, I am all in favor of Onni being possessed, if this leads to a ritual where we get some Hotakainen resolution. I am vaguely hopeful...
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4345 on: December 18, 2021, 02:50:25 AM »
Onni can well be calm - the birds have tested him rather thoroughly on the way in.  :onni:

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4346 on: December 20, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
I think I may have a theory about how the Gull-Alarm works.
If a person is not infected, then the gull will not hesitate to peck on the said person. But if the said person is slowly being kadefied or is infected, then it could just sit on that person's head and fly back immediately. Although the person in the latter situation is saved from the hard knock, they would unfortunately be "locked out" or be subject to immediate Kade-exorcising magic.

Edit: Looks like I did not see today's page properly. I did not notice that Väinö had explained the working of the Gull-Alarm.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:34:32 AM by Kiran »
Somewhat fluent:🇺🇸
Native language:🇮🇳(telugu)
Somewhat rusty:🇮🇳(hindi)
Trying to learn:🇳🇴

catbirds

« Reply #4347 on: December 20, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »
Yaaaay everyone's safe!

Again with the awkward transition, but, ehhh... oh well. At least it's a cute page!

thorny

« Reply #4348 on: December 20, 2021, 02:55:44 PM »
Kitty doesn't appear to have been pecked.

However it's quite possible that cats can't be kadeified. Maybe that can only happen to humans; or even only to human mages.

-- Väinö didn't explain why the gulls peck people who aren't possessed, though. It seems an odd way to indicate that. Maybe Minna just thought it was funny; though 'it's funny to hurt people' isn't a kind of humor I can really get behind.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4349 on: December 20, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »
I still think my "kades react to pecking differently" theory was better than "gulls are assholes, unless you're a kade."

Also, I am a little disappointed by the lack of drama...

fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others