Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392456 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4245 on: November 12, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »
Wavewright, I am much amused by that reference.

But you didn't respond with the requisite OY OY OY! ? (which, for the uninitiated, is the appropriate response to both of those calls in Australia) *pouts*
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4246 on: November 12, 2021, 09:56:07 PM »
Sorry! Barracking calls are not something I am good at!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4247 on: November 12, 2021, 11:13:20 PM »
But you didn't respond with the requisite OY OY OY! ? (which, for the uninitiated, is the appropriate response to both of those calls in Australia) *pouts*

I can do a pretty good OY OY OY if needed - I'm quite good at yelling.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #4248 on: November 13, 2021, 03:27:31 PM »
No, incorporated. ;D

GROOOAAAAN! Multilingual puns are the borst*!

*Portmanteau of best and worst, which is what the borst puns are.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

« Reply #4249 on: November 13, 2021, 11:08:24 PM »
‘Borst’ sounds like it should be some awful kind of sausage!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #4250 on: November 14, 2021, 03:37:38 AM »
‘Borst’ sounds like it should be some awful kind of sausage!
Well, as far as sausages go, I guess it is. :P
Spoiler: show

... you think that jab's the wurst I can dish out?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #4251 on: November 14, 2021, 05:31:04 AM »
I know borscht, and have made the beetroot version, as well as the cabbage and sorrel variants. Since the tuberous kind of parsley is rarely found here in Australia I substitute the root of Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum), of which I always have a generous crop, or celeriac, though the flavour is not quite the same. I prefer the vegetarian versions, though I do make a nice meaty one starting with boiling beef bones to make the broth and then adding all the little scraps of meat off the bones, or some finely shredded stewing steak. Since the beef butcher at our Farmers Market is always up for swapping meat or stock bones for bunches of the flowers I grow, and the pork butcher will generally swap her products for young fruit trees since she is starting an orchard, I normally have access to decent meat without great expense.

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4252 on: November 14, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »
I have said this in the comments already, but the combination of BOOM and smoke suggests the work of an Emil.

Beetroot borscht! Or barszcz as we Poles call it. A delicious part of my culture, and the bane of white tablecloths. In my family, we serve it with tiny mushroom ravioli at Christmas. I should really make some.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4253 on: November 14, 2021, 04:17:29 PM »
We used to have beet borscht as a cold soup in the summertime, with a dollop of sour cream in it.

The first time my sister's eventual husband came to visit, that was what was started off dinner. He had never had either cold soup or borscht, and found himself served a soup plate of cold pink liquid with a glob of sour cream in the middle. He thought we were having him on.

He looked around the table, and saw the rest of us eating our borscht; and figured that well, if we could eat that stuff with a straight face, so could he. And he did. He didn't tell us until years later that he'd thought we were playing a prank on him.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4254 on: November 14, 2021, 05:24:18 PM »
In parts of Poland, he would have been right to keep an eye on the colour of the soup... There's a tradition of serving something called "czarna polewka", "black soup", to rejected suitors. (It's even mentioned in our most famous epic poem.)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4255 on: November 14, 2021, 09:03:26 PM »
Interesting. I'm pretty sure he didn't know about that either, though.

(And in any case he didn't get rejected.)

JoB

« Reply #4256 on: November 15, 2021, 02:00:59 AM »
Beetroot borscht! Or barszcz as we Poles call it.
(German insists on doing the whole ordeal, "Borschtsch". It's my go-to example to explain how there's not just one Cyrillic Alphabet, and that the Shcha has a very tangible purpose within its natural range. Pretty much in line with the attempts to have the "sch" replaced by the Háček-S ("š") in German actually ...)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4257 on: November 15, 2021, 04:47:54 AM »
(German insists on doing the whole ordeal, "Borschtsch". It's my go-to example to explain how there's not just one Cyrillic Alphabet, and that the Shcha has a very tangible purpose within its natural range. Pretty much in line with the attempts to have the "sch" replaced by the Háček-S ("š") in German actually ...)

Well, the szcz in the Polish barszcz, which our neighbours in Germany might be emulating, is a consonant cluster, so could be naturally represented by two consonants (one representing sh and one representing ch, to make bah-r-sh-ch).

We also have ś and ć (and ź for that matter), but they represent different sounds. And we love to squish them together in clusters, as with out word for hello, cześć (/t͡ʂɛɕt͡ɕ/).

...which sounds a bit like a spitting fire? Like the one (Emil?) just caused? I really like the idea that ssss started with Emil blowing up a building containing his teammates, and will end in the same way.

JoB

« Reply #4258 on: November 15, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »
Well, the szcz in the Polish barszcz, which our neighbours in Germany might be emulating, is a consonant cluster, so could be naturally represented by two consonants (one representing sh and one representing ch, to make bah-r-sh-ch).
No way to be certain short of obtaining a time machine to go ask the Germans originally picking the transcription, I'm afraid, but nonetheless my guess would be that "Borschtsch" is more likely mimicking the "ʃʃ" cluster the Shcha stands for "in Ukrainian and Rusyn" ...

We also have ś and ć (and ź for that matter), but they represent different sounds. And we love to squish them together in clusters, as with out word for hello, cześć (/t͡ʂɛɕt͡ɕ/).
...which sounds a bit like a spitting fire?
Your language wouldn't happen to get raided every now and then by envious Klingon speakers, would it? >:D

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4259 on: November 15, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
We'll never know. But I suppose that the Germans had no other way to represent the ʂ of barszcz in their barbaric language...

I am surprised that nobody else is commenting on the page. I am actually looking forward to today's update! (Unless it boils down to 'trolls all dead, the group leaves the hotel and goes back to fighting the bear' -- I so want to see them fight something other than a bear. Or Surma. Maybe Sigrun could be awesome again?)