Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392246 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4080 on: May 28, 2021, 02:11:11 AM »
Maybe we should dig up the Cliffhanger Challenge thread :)

Meantime, somewhere else in Finland ...

... Väinö is sweeping the floor in his abode and stands dangerously close to his filing cabinet, events elsewhere threatening to have its doors come blown clean off.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

catbirds

« Reply #4081 on: May 29, 2021, 12:16:24 AM »
Two pages at once, neat! Also the first time Minna has posted on her twitter in a while.

I didn't expect Surma to just sit down and contemplate life, though. It probably moves by detecting loud sounds, then? Since Emil, Sigrun, and Mikkel were in its line of "sight" when it entered through the window and its first response was to the bear's loud roar. This must be the stealth sequence, so good luck Sigrun :)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #4082 on: May 30, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »
<snip>
I didn't expect Surma to just sit down and contemplate life, though. <snip>

Me neither, and yet again, Minna has managed to make me feel sorry for a hideously deformed creature that would slice and dice the main characters without... uh... I was going to say "without batting an eye", but I guess that's a given... without a moment's thought... uh... similar problem, is there thought going on there at all... aaaah... how about without the slightest hesitation? Yeah, that works!  :'D

Surma looks so despondent, sitting there waiting for the next loud sound to deal with, and I can imagine a little fragment of whoever this was wishing they could stop, and finally rest.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4083 on: May 31, 2021, 09:54:54 PM »
I don't think Reynir listens very well --

That might turn out to be for the best, though.

Maple

« Reply #4084 on: June 03, 2021, 12:07:19 AM »
I think this might not be the final battle with the Kade, because it's looking just a little too goofy. Minna has been pretty good about tone at her serious moments, so this feels more like "goofing off a little and something is going to happen that suddenly makes it very serious, and then they serious up and finish the job."

My bets are on Onni looking the Kade in the eyes and being infected, and that sets off a time limit for them to vanquish the Kade before Onni is lost.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4085 on: June 03, 2021, 12:09:52 AM »
Tuuri ... what? "Go and find grandma?" Is it possible that Ensi is still herself, somewhere in the dreamworld? Or is Tuuri tracking down the kade and luring it back to them?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4086 on: June 03, 2021, 02:28:58 AM »
I had wondered whether the Kade had chosen to transfer itself to Ensi’s body as a physical base. Useful as a deception on people who might have known Ensi well enough to trust her, and a good strong body even if old. Or whether Tuuri might be trying to locate Ensi among the souls trapped in the Kade?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4087 on: June 03, 2021, 05:23:56 AM »
My impression was that Tuuri was going to find Grandma Ensi among the souls. Possibly something similar as Onni finding Tuuri among the dead. That is what Onni needed Tuuri for, after all.

Also, I don't think Onni was originally planning to defeat the Kade, merely to get Grandma Ensi out of it. Lalli and Reynir being there might have brought a change to that part though.

Even if they do defeat the Kade, they still have Surma, two bears and several wormlike things to deal with; some of them may get to the mages' bodies while they're comatose. There is some hope that Reynir might not go into coma since Icelandic magic is different.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4088 on: June 03, 2021, 09:20:45 AM »
Lalli and Onni also access the dreamworld when they are merely asleep. Onni want into a coma after over-exerting himself summoning the Kokko, but other than that it’s just sleep.

Speaking of which, Reynir* has learned a neat trick: being able to fall asleep (or perhaps attain a sufficient trance) despite being separated by merely a 90-year old freezer door and window from a horde of grosslings!

* the same applies to the other ones, but they have been (more or less) properly trained, and accessing the dreamworld when needed is probably included.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #4089 on: June 18, 2021, 08:35:54 AM »
I thought that was the bear at first, and was wondering how she got in there, and whether she was also roaring in the waking world. But it's the luonto lynx.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #4090 on: June 18, 2021, 06:24:12 PM »
I thought that was the bear at first, and was wondering how she got in there, and whether she was also roaring in the waking world. But it's the luonto lynx.

That makes me wonder wether the bears could have souls/luonto-type things that show up in the Dreamworld-- I know the whole "condition of the soul" thing for infected mammals, but maybe the bears are different because they're slightly more magical? Could their relation to the Kade give them shape in the dreamworld?

Anyways, what I was also going to say: I know there's been discussion of the change in Minna's art style before (I don't remember wether it was on this thread or somewhere else), and the point to be made that it has become less meticulous and meticulously detailed over the years, especially recently, but I kinda like it! I mean, I love that incredibly detailed, more complex of earlier times, but I think the gradual change has made the current style more... fluid? Expressive? Dynamic? I was looking at this most recent chapter cover specifically and admiring the lines in our three Mages and all the swooshy patterns and colors. It all looks more fast and I really like it!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

catbirds

« Reply #4091 on: June 18, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »
Oh? Is Kokko dabbing here?

Anyways, what I was also going to say: I know there's been discussion of the change in Minna's art style before (I don't remember wether it was on this thread or somewhere else), and the point to be made that it has become less meticulous and meticulously detailed over the years, especially recently, but I kinda like it! I mean, I love that incredibly detailed, more complex of earlier times, but I think the gradual change has made the current style more... fluid? Expressive? Dynamic? I was looking at this most recent chapter cover specifically and admiring the lines in our three Mages and all the swooshy patterns and colors. It all looks more fast and I really like it!

:P Yeah, I don't know why, but I think the bits in the dream world suit her art style really well. To be clear, IIRC she uses a texture overlay to get the sort of watercolour-y effect and the dream world's more abstract and abyss-like appearance suit a more fluid and rough art style. It's still fun to look at, if only sometimes strange when applied to modern architecture. I think my favourite parts of SSSS were the nature and dream world bits anyway!

Spoiler: opinions opinions • show

I probably sound like a snob saying this, but these days I've grown fond of stories that use heavy visual symbolism, so SSSS art isn't My Thing anymore.

thorny

« Reply #4092 on: July 05, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »
They're all falling through the floor, right?

Shouldn't Sigrun be paying more attention to falling properly so as to have some chance of surviving the fall, instead of to being annoyed that neither bear nor Surma has noticed them yet?

Sigrun, do what cat!

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4093 on: July 09, 2021, 01:28:36 AM »
Did the Kade digest the soul-bird of Ensi (or someone else)? We have no confirmation yet, that the glowing ball of goo is related to Ensi, I think.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #4094 on: July 09, 2021, 06:04:43 AM »
Did the Kade digest the soul-bird of Ensi (or someone else)? We have no confirmation yet, that the glowing ball of goo is related to Ensi, I think.
No, we don't. Yet something attracted Tuuri to that particular place. Perhaps some spiritual sixth-sense? Anyway I'm really enjoying the way we readers are being juggled from one cliffhanger to the next. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society