Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392222 times)

Tindveden

• Drink Coffee! Do Stupid Things Faster with More En
  • Preferred pronouns: She, her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3945 on: March 25, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »
... you oughta know better than to tempt me ...

OK, OK, you win. Peace, and food for everybody

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3946 on: March 25, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
and i wonder

why is Kade using three bears as protection, when it could just as easily be vibing around Surma.
conclusion: Surma can and would harm Kade.

Perhaps Surma is too erratic, always haring off after sharp/loud sounds. Onni describes the Kade as "weak", I know he meant mentally or in magic powers or something, but it may also be incapable of keeping up with Surma.

I know it's unlikely -- she was immune, so even if she didn't get taken into the kade it seems unlikely she could trollify -- but I've still got the idea stuck in my head that Surma might be Grandma, having managed to fight the kade off enough not to get subsumed but not enough to have remained fully herself. In which case, I'd think the kade would most certainly want to stay well away from her.

I think there's just something about those hands that strikes me as an exaggeration of a thin old woman's hands.

Yikes. That is an interesting and unsettling prospect. As you say, unlikely, but it would be quite the plot twist. But shouldn't Onni be able to sense his grandmother? Or maybe he's just assuming... and we all know what happens when you assume something, right?

Right?
Spoiler: show

You make an ass out of u and me!

I'm sorry, I'm leaving now.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3947 on: March 25, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Peace and food sounds good to me! I knew how to do oldstyle gingerbread, but the fig rapé recipe is different to mine.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Tindveden

• Drink Coffee! Do Stupid Things Faster with More En
  • Preferred pronouns: She, her
« Reply #3948 on: March 26, 2021, 05:47:04 AM »
Peace and food sounds good to me! I knew how to do oldstyle gingerbread, but the fig rapé recipe is different to mine.

As long as we don't get the blueberry cake from Recipe swap (and other food related stuff)

PS: FYI for the rest of you: That was a silly "recipe". And in Norwegian too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:50:44 AM by Tindveden »

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3949 on: March 27, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »
And Surma does have a roughly human-shaped form, no? looks like a human was the original that Surma formed from?

And what is that bright light behind the bear?

Oh well, we might find out in three weeks. Or not. I think I am going to have to keep reading long enough to get that question answered, if it's going to be.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3950 on: March 27, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
The human-shaped form does give credence to the view that Surma is a troll. My bad, I thought Surma was a mythological creature embodied.
I think the light behind the bear is just her (and consequently our) focus on the top of the cliff.   She's coming back up, and she'll be loaded for bear, as the expression goes.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #3951 on: March 27, 2021, 06:01:38 PM »
thorny and Wavewright, I think both are correct. The seagull mage Vaino, if I remember correctly, refers to Surma as a troll, that is, the base form from which it developed was a human. But the name of Surma, given by humans referring to it, refers to the symbolic embodiment of violent death. There seems to be a usage of giving individual personal names to the really heavy-duty monsters, as was done for the bear beasts?

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #3952 on: March 29, 2021, 08:45:11 PM »
thorny and Wavewright, I think both are correct. The seagull mage Vaino, if I remember correctly, refers to Surma as a troll, that is, the base form from which it developed was a human. But the name of Surma, given by humans referring to it, refers to the symbolic embodiment of violent death. There seems to be a usage of giving individual personal names to the really heavy-duty monsters, as was done for the bear beasts?

The seagull mage called it an "exceptionally nasty critter", but didn't say either beast or troll (page 167).

Róisín

« Reply #3953 on: March 30, 2021, 05:58:04 AM »
I sit corrected!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3954 on: March 30, 2021, 06:10:18 AM »
Anyway from what we can see Surma looks very anthropoid, and it seems unlikely that another animal would take that shape... Unless it was an ape. (perhaps a gorilla? I wonder if there could be any on a zoo in Finland, or nearby Russia. Maybe a monkey on a lab...)

Therefore between beast or troll I'm still betting on troll! :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3955 on: March 30, 2021, 06:23:07 AM »
Anyway from what we can see Surma looks very anthropoid, and it seems unlikely that another animal would take that shape... Unless it was an ape. (perhaps a gorilla? I wonder if there could be any on a zoo in Finland, or nearby Russia. Maybe a monkey on a lab...)

Therefore between beast or troll I'm still betting on troll! :)
Aye. It's a biped now, and thus very likely has been before its infection as well. Other details (arrangement of leg joints and spine on the hip, lack of tail, ...) support a biped/human blueprint as well.

No sign of opposable thumbs, though, but except for the partially hidden right hand, it's four digits on every end, apparently. Might be Swedish. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3956 on: April 01, 2021, 04:52:03 PM »
Well, would you look at that. In recent news, it seems that a contagious disease has appeared that turns bears into monstrosities with totally aberrant behaviour, eventually causing brain death.
Extra, extra, read all about it ...

Can't decide whether it's an April Fools, or the entire outfit's a joke.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3957 on: April 02, 2021, 03:25:34 PM »
Well, would you look at that. In recent news, it seems that a contagious disease has appeared that turns bears into monstrosities with totally aberrant behaviour, eventually causing brain death.
Extra, extra, read all about it ...

Can't decide whether it's an April Fools, or the entire outfit's a joke.

And there's this...
A bit hard to take that as a serious source...
(and a quick search found no other instances of that episode, so I'll go for April fools)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3958 on: April 02, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »
I don't know about the 'time traveller', but the bear thing seems to be legit - I found it covered in a number of places. Here's one that's considerably less over-the-top (zombie bears, pfft).
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3959 on: April 03, 2021, 06:38:13 AM »
I don't know about the 'time traveller', but the bear thing seems to be legit - I found it covered in a number of places. Here's one that's considerably less over-the-top (zombie bears, pfft).
Oh, but that one is written in a completely different tone! Now I can believe in the story! (thanks!)

(and of course the "time traveller" is real, but we cannot and will not believe in it because if we did the future from which it came wouldn't become real, so he would not come at all and his story could not exist... Unless we go to the "multiverse" option, where those paradoxes can fit without great trouble. :) )