Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392242 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3915 on: March 23, 2021, 09:01:24 PM »
Agreed, as I read the tea leaves Adv. II is the end, whereas at one point we were led to expect 5 adventures, one in each country, specifically with Iceland being the last. 
I am bracing myself because the end of Adv I seemed rushed, like she just wanted to get it over with.  We missed out on many aspects most of us were expecting to see, like scenes at the pickup point (we got a hug from Mikkel and great joke from Sigrun, and that was wonderful, but that was all), the news broken to the HQ crew (esp Onni), and the HQ crew travel to Iceland and debrief with the Nordic Council. 

Adv. II loose ends to date are fewer, but include:
-- Reynir's brother Bjarni was the only character outside of the crew and HQ to get his own introduction synopsis, which would indicate he was a major character.  Why?
-- Will we see the Sentinel Mage, or his grisly cabinet, again?  (esp if things turn pear-shaped for any of the crew)
-- Will Lalli get his boat 'deposit' back? (okay, that's a joke)
-- The Swan is expecting to bring back two souls to Tuonela - whose?

Things that may get glossed over in a grand rush to finish up:
-- We are expecting to see Tuuri's return to Tuonela (aside from fix-it feels), and a full culmination of the bargain made with the Swan (however it pans out)
-- We are expecting to see Ensi's fate as something other than an off-screen *poof* and/or pile of twisted flesh
-- Reynir having a point in this adventure other than a high perch for the cat to observe from
-- Sigrun & Mikkel's apparently burgeoning relationship (for the record - I'm in the camp that doesn't want to see Sigrun rendered into a housewife or other 'womanly' post-adventure role, like Reynir's sister), it would be nice to at least see if anything comes of this.

I sincerely doubt that we will ever get those portions of the overall backstory we've been holding out for.  These include: the story behind the fire behind Emil's house, the ongoing effects of Lalli camping in Emil's brain, Mikkel's backstory including the fate of his twin, and *snerk* what blackmail Trond had on Captain Asa.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Maple

« Reply #3916 on: March 23, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »
My understanding from what Minna said it that she will keep this story arc as innitialy planned, and that will be the end of SSSS.

There was a time when she had many other stories on her head and intended to keep doing SSSS for a long time. But now she seems headed in another direction, to create another project.

That made me sad. I really enjoy SSSS, and I enjoy even more this wonderful community that we have here. In some way it's a utopic place, where people respect and care each other while they politely share their thoughts and experiences. I pictured myself wandering the halls of this Forum and finding it empty and silent, and that's one sad picture.

But nothing stays forever, and we still have some time (I'd say a year or a little more). What we will do? I don't know, but I do know that I don't want to loose contact with the wonderful people that I met here.  :)

(Hi, I have been lurking for months but this comment is what drove me to make an account.)

It is a little sad to think of SSSS ending, but at the same time, it's not really an end. The beauty of fandom and the internet is that it is transformative. I wouldn't be surprised to see several "What If" stories and several "After the end of the comic" stories popping up once the comic ends. Even if Minna's part in the comic ends when this adventure ends, fandom will keep the comic alive.

So while I am sad now (even if I don't expect the comic to end 'soon', I figured it would be about as long as Adventure 1 so we have a couple years yet to go), I know things will eventually be okay. And hopefully you can find comfort in that too.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3917 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:28 PM »
(Hi, I have been lurking for months but this comment is what drove me to make an account.)

It is a little sad to think of SSSS ending, but at the same time, it's not really an end. The beauty of fandom and the internet is that it is transformative. I wouldn't be surprised to see several "What If" stories and several "After the end of the comic" stories popping up once the comic ends. Even if Minna's part in the comic ends when this adventure ends, fandom will keep the comic alive.

So while I am sad now (even if I don't expect the comic to end 'soon', I figured it would be about as long as Adventure 1 so we have a couple years yet to go), I know things will eventually be okay. And hopefully you can find comfort in that too.
Hi Maple! It's good to have you here.
You're right about the fandom. It will not end the day SSSS ends. Stories and drawings and more will be created for a long time, because the source is very good and the people on this fandom is excellent!
On one way we, creators, will have even more liberty because we won't have that little worry "what if I'm writing a story and something in the comic, like a character death, throws me completely off-canon". That was bottering me a bit* while I was setting up the continuation of one of my stories, "Lightning", that happens on Year 95.
(* Not that it's a big problem, because we always have the "what if" and "parallel universes" solutions.)

And we do have some time ahead of us! So let's enjoy it the best we can.

I wrote that just after reading Minna's statement, and I was really feeling sad at that moment. But life goes on, and your post made me feel even better, so thank you! :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3918 on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »
This consoles me, too. If Minna's abandoning SSSS after the end of this arc, that leaves people free to create their own ongoing adventures as fanfic in her world. I like that idea. This is one of the few stories I've read that has me truly emotionally invested in the characters. I look forward to seeing all the myriad ways the fanbase continues the story. I might even be bold enough one day to make a contribution to that myself. :)

Right now, I'm trying to work my way through all the thread topics and posts and ... there's just so MUCH here. I'm kicking myself for not joining sooner! There's so much content here it's a little confusing right now, but I'll get it sorted.

I already feel comfortable here and am certainly more chatty here than I ever was in Disqus. The Commentariat was always the nicest group of people on the whole dang internet and I feel like this place is The Commentariat, cubed. :)
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3919 on: March 24, 2021, 07:44:17 AM »
Agreed, as I read the tea leaves Adv. II is the end, whereas at one point we were led to expect 5 adventures, one in each country, specifically with Iceland being the last. 
I am bracing myself because the end of Adv I seemed rushed, like she just wanted to get it over with.  We missed out on many aspects most of us were expecting to see, like scenes at the pickup point (we got a hug from Mikkel and great joke from Sigrun, and that was wonderful, but that was all), the news broken to the HQ crew (esp Onni), and the HQ crew travel to Iceland and debrief with the Nordic Council. 

Adv. II loose ends to date are fewer, but include:
-- Reynir's brother Bjarni was the only character outside of the crew and HQ to get his own introduction synopsis, which would indicate he was a major character.  Why?
-- Will we see the Sentinel Mage, or his grisly cabinet, again?  (esp if things turn pear-shaped for any of the crew)
-- Will Lalli get his boat 'deposit' back? (okay, that's a joke)
-- The Swan is expecting to bring back two souls to Tuonela - whose?
I also felt that "rushed" feeling too. Adventure 1 ended and I was: What? Just that? Most important we never got to see the crew talking among each other and sharing their experiences. Damn, Lalli just blew a giant with his magic! Sigrun saw the battlefield after and was convinced no one could survive that. And yet we saw no consequences...

As for those points on Adv. II,  I'm convinced that, unless Minna decides to rush to the end, we will see the Sentinel Mage (it's just too interesting a character), probably when the crew comes back from the Silent World. Eventually we may get the boat deposit scene too. And surely the situation with the Swan will get resolved because it's in the core narrative.
Bjarni... I think Minna had a place for him on a future adventure, probably the Icelandic one. But we may never know.

Things that may get glossed over in a grand rush to finish up:
-- We are expecting to see Tuuri's return to Tuonela (aside from fix-it feels), and a full culmination of the bargain made with the Swan (however it pans out)
-- We are expecting to see Ensi's fate as something other than an off-screen *poof* and/or pile of twisted flesh
-- Reynir having a point in this adventure other than a high perch for the cat to observe from
-- Sigrun & Mikkel's apparently burgeoning relationship (for the record - I'm in the camp that doesn't want to see Sigrun rendered into a housewife or other 'womanly' post-adventure role, like Reynir's sister), it would be nice to at least see if anything comes of this.

I sincerely doubt that we will ever get those portions of the overall backstory we've been holding out for.  These include: the story behind the fire behind Emil's house, the ongoing effects of Lalli camping in Emil's brain, Mikkel's backstory including the fate of his twin, and *snerk* what blackmail Trond had on Captain Asa.
Those things will, hopefully, not get glossed over. It would be a pitty. As for Sigrun, I see it going the opposite way, with Mikkel assuming a house (and eventually kids) while Sigrun keeps doing what she does best.

I'd love to see the backstories, but agree that now we will probably have to live with fanfics about them...

I also hope that Minna thinks carefully on the ending. We all know that a bad or rushed ending may ruin an excellent story*, and that would be a shame for SSSS.

* think Game of Thrones. It was on the top of the top, and the way they handled the end seriously damaged the story, and the franchise.

Edit: Forgot to add that Minna should write an Epilogue to properly close the story. Something that has such an outstanding Prologue must have an equivalent Epilogue.
If she does that with her usual quality, which is very high, SSSS may be seen in the Future as a reference, even a classic, which would not only be good for us, fans, but also for her career and, why not, business. (after all this is her source of income, and the chances of keeping selling books in the future would be much higher if the story keeps its (outstanding) quality until the very end).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:08:10 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3920 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:59 AM »
Too bad it's going to end. The good news is that to be honest with myself, I already have another long-running story to fall back on. *slams her kindle against a piece of furniture in hope it will somehow get Ascendance of a Bookworm translated faster* On average, once I'm past my peak, I'm much more vulnerable to the work reaching a stopping point than I am to stuff happening with the creator.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:01:32 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3921 on: March 24, 2021, 09:33:24 AM »
I'll be sad to see SSSS end too, but I've been bracing myself for it since Minna announced that she was doing the bunny comic on the side. It seemed that she might be growing tired of SSSS, or at least wanting to explore some other direction... although I absolutely did not anticipate the direction it took. Wave, you make good points about the threads that may be left hanging. Fingers crossed at least some of them will be woven in properly! I'm especially curious about the burning house in Emil's dream, but sadly I expect that is one of the ones that will not be dealt with. It would have made most sense to resolve that during an adventure in Sweden. Fanfic writers, start your creative engines!

I'm glad this forum exists, with all its talented fan artists of all sorts. It's a wonderful world and great characters, which will continue to inspire, I hope.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Tindveden

• Drink Coffee! Do Stupid Things Faster with More En
  • Preferred pronouns: She, her
« Reply #3922 on: March 24, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
Minna posted the first page of SSSS on November 1 in 2013. In just over one month SSSS will have been running for 7.5 years.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:00:20 AM by Tindveden »

Maple

« Reply #3923 on: March 24, 2021, 06:14:16 PM »
This consoles me, too. If Minna's abandoning SSSS after the end of this arc, that leaves people free to create their own ongoing adventures as fanfic in her world. I like that idea. This is one of the few stories I've read that has me truly emotionally invested in the characters. I look forward to seeing all the myriad ways the fanbase continues the story. I might even be bold enough one day to make a contribution to that myself. :)

Right now, I'm trying to work my way through all the thread topics and posts and ... there's just so MUCH here. I'm kicking myself for not joining sooner! There's so much content here it's a little confusing right now, but I'll get it sorted.

I already feel comfortable here and am certainly more chatty here than I ever was in Disqus. The Commentariat was always the nicest group of people on the whole dang internet and I feel like this place is The Commentariat, cubed. :)

I know I personally have something in mind already, but I'm going to wait and see what happens with the comic before I go further than outline/planning it. What I have will work as a "What If?" AU, but if it fits with canon after Adventure 2 ends then I think I'll go with that route instead.

(Likewise, I'm kicking myself for not joining sooner too. I've been reading this comic for years without even realizing that there's a message board or comments.)

GMantis

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3924 on: March 24, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »
I thought that question at least got answered rather empathically on page 263?
Native: :bg:
Fluent: :gb:
Nearly fluent: :de:
Basic level: :ru:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3925 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
I thought that question at least got answered rather empathically on page 263?

You are not wrong!  Thank you for that joggle to the memory, and welcome!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3926 on: March 24, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »
Welp, I have added a new image to the Reaction Image Hoard.  I think we all feel this one this week.

This joins a previously uploaded one, also quite usable currently:

Gosh, there's actually a whole slew that are usable, eh?
Spoiler: so many emo reactions for the week • show

And my personal favourite for the week:

Thank you for coming to my Powerpoint presentation.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:14:04 PM by wavewright62 »

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3927 on: March 24, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »
Thank you for coming to my Powerpoint presentation.
[/spoiler]
Thank you, Wave, for making me laugh with your Powerpoint presentation! That last one is really well chosen. :)

GMantis

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3928 on: March 24, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »
From the last panel, it seems that Surma, while being very sensitive to piercing sounds, is not that bad at hearing much deeper sounds as well...
Native: :bg:
Fluent: :gb:
Nearly fluent: :de:
Basic level: :ru:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3929 on: March 24, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »
Bahaha, wave those are great! You summed up my emotions over the past few days beautifully!  :'D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: