Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392324 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3885 on: February 28, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »
I once offered around Toll House cookies (which are an actual thing, as Americans probably know), and it was either Windfighter or JoB (probably JoB) who immediately dubbed them Troll House.  (This was before we actually had the Troll House in canon, btw.) 
They made appearances in the welcome pack for a little while but disappeared, likely because people figured out that the brown gooey bits actually weren't chocolate.  *ahem*
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #3886 on: February 28, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
Oh btw, not really related to the current page but to current date: February 28th is Onni’s name day in Finland. Happy name day, Onni! (The other name for 28.2. is Sisu. Sadly, no name day for Tuuri or Lalli)

:onni: :onni: :onni:
Oh, wow, that's fun! I have read something about name "Onni" being one of the most popular names to gave a child in some year in Finland. Don't know if it's true though. Name "Lalli", on the other hand, is almost never used. Just a fun fact that most of you probably know, if you ever googled "Lalli". Lalli was one of the most famous killers in Finland :'D
That's probably why no one uses this name for their children. I haven't googled Tuuri yet, so I have nothing to say about her.

Also, Jitter, I wanted to ask you, knowing that you speak Finnish. Do you have the keyboard on your computer (if you have a computer) with all the letters that Finnish has but regular "QWERTY" doesn't? I mean, Russian keyboard has both Cyrillic and Latin letters, so I was wondering if you guys in Finland have special keyboards too.  ;)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3887 on: March 01, 2021, 10:18:31 AM »
If I recall correctly, someone posted last December a picture of squirrel cookies. I looked for the post, didn’t find it, but I came across the Minnion Memes thread I’d mentioned. And at the Yarncrafter’s thread I found a post mentioning many varieties of cookies.
People who have baked their own squirrel cookies, what did you use for the crunchy bits?

First of all, thank you for linking this amazing meme-thread! (We had chess-playing cookie dough? How cool is that!)

And uh... that squirrelcookie-baking would have been me, I guess. :'D
In this case I used chocolate-chips for the crunchy bits, as dark matter wasn´t available and members of my household are allergic to nuts. Tasted delicious, but was lacking a bit in the crunchyness-department.

I believe Mirasol is the current cookie chef and probably a honorary squirrel! (Or, actually, this being the internet - we don’t really have proof she’s not an actual squirrel!) But alas, the mystery of the mystery ingredient still remains :) (check the Advent Calendar 2020 thread)

He-he, "current cookie chef"? I like that! :D
Hm, from my experience during my cookie-research so far, the squirrels weren´t all that pleased with me trying to uncover their secret though... (If I ever disappear and it´s not because of school, you know what´s up!)
But still, there´s indeed no proof I´m not secretly one of them. ;)

Also, Jitter, I wanted to ask you, knowing that you speak Finnish. Do you have the keyboard on your computer (if you have a computer) with all the letters that Finnish has but regular "QWERTY" doesn't? I mean, Russian keyboard has both Cyrillic and Latin letters, so I was wondering if you guys in Finland have special keyboards too.  ;)

Oh, that´s interesting! Do you then have more keys on the keyboard or can you switch modes so either the Cyrilic or Latin letters show? Because that would be a real lot of more keys.

Also happy late name-day to Onni! :onni:
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3888 on: March 01, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Mirasol Thanks for linking your cookie-baking post.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3889 on: March 01, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Oh, that´s interesting! Do you then have more keys on the keyboard or can you switch modes so either the Cyrilic or Latin letters show? Because that would be a real lot of more keys.

According to wikipedia this is one Finnish keyboard layout:

I didn't find a clear answer on how it is when you have a mixed Cyrilic/Latin Russian keyboard, probably because I didn't search that hard... The ones I found were a bit confusing, but maybe thay have to be... :)

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3890 on: March 01, 2021, 03:50:36 PM »
Annuil, we certainly do! It’s the one Grey linked, i.e. the funny letters appear to the right of the English keyboard. They are in the same place to allow learning to type with all ten of your fingers :) and that’s the layout it’s been since I learned, about 30 years ago.

The Scandinavian letters are written a bit differently depending on the language. Finnish and Swedish have Ä and Ö, the corresponding letters in Danish and Norwegian are Æ and Ø. We also have Å, which is closer to O in Finnish (but is not used in actual Finnish, just in words that are actually Swedish, such as names). In my iPad Finnish keyboard, the Danish versions appear as alternatives when holding the ä and ö keys. Icelandic has some further letters, the ones shown with D and T in Grey’s example. Those are not available in my Finnish keyboard.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #3891 on: March 01, 2021, 06:25:47 PM »
Fun stuff! That is very interesting, Jitter! I do have a Finnish keyboard on my phone, those are easily switched, I was curious about permanent computer keyboards. Very cool!

Cyrillic alphabet has 33 letters where as latin consists of only 26, so the keyboard is just a little bigger. I have layouts for both Russian and English keyboard on my laptop, they are just mixed together, two letters on one key. It's just the matter of switching the language on the computer and switching the keyboard and the language in your own head :'D It is very confusing at the beginning but I have mastered both keyboards to type with equal speed on both. ;) I bet Chinese keyboards are waaaay more complicated!

Here is a pic of my Mac keyboard (they actually make Macs with Russian keyboard!):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_wQxB0rl00_O2u2bT
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:29:01 PM by Annuil »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3892 on: March 02, 2021, 03:59:48 AM »
JoB, what is the "Updates from Hell"?
Spoiler: rant • show

Every now and then, Fandom develops changes to the underlying system. They're quite famous for such changes to cater to what (they think) future users will want and turn a deaf ear to the protests of their existing users about all the individual-wiki things they break that way.

OK, that's a bit exaggerated. The latest round was triggered by their having to merge another entire platform (Gamepedia, wasn't it?) into theirs, and of course it's understandable that they don't want to keep supporting myriads versions of their software.

But nonetheless, Fandom announcing "we're planning an update" inevitably prompts thousands of comments from their user base about how it will/does break stuff all over the place, and usually not as much as even a "sorry" in return.

... and sure enough, now that I would like to link to an example, I find that "Community Central" has changed to the point that I can't even find the old howlfests, so have this for a measly example of what experiences updates tend to bring ...

I once offered around Toll House cookies (which are an actual thing, as Americans probably know), and it was either Windfighter or JoB (probably JoB) who immediately dubbed them Troll House.  (This was before we actually had the Troll House in canon, btw.)
The forum search suggests these, three, posts as possible origins ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3893 on: March 08, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Fun stuff! That is very interesting, Jitter! I do have a Finnish keyboard on my phone, those are easily switched, I was curious about permanent computer keyboards. Very cool!
Cyrillic alphabet has 33 letters where as latin consists of only 26, so the keyboard is just a little bigger. I have layouts for both Russian and English keyboard on my laptop, they are just mixed together, two letters on one key. It's just the matter of switching the language on the computer and switching the keyboard and the language in your own head :'D It is very confusing at the beginning but I have mastered both keyboards to type with equal speed on both. ;) I bet Chinese keyboards are waaaay more complicated!

Here is a pic of my Mac keyboard (they actually make Macs with Russian keyboard!):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_wQxB0rl00_O2u2bT

*sneaks back into this discussion days later* Ah, I see. That´s what I meant with switching modes. Thanks for the picture! :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #3894 on: March 16, 2021, 10:57:45 AM »
You're welcome, Mirasol!

Random question: is it just me or did Minna's style of drawing change in the past Adventure? It became a little less neat, sort of faster. However, I feel like it started to return back to a more careful type of drawing on the last couple of pages. At least that's what I see. :lalli:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #3895 on: March 16, 2021, 01:07:42 PM »
In my opinion Minnas drawing style changes constantly. I would say there were a little more details on the last pages. And the use of light and contrast changed. But this may be because of the weather in the story.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3896 on: March 16, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »
Her style definitely became a lot looser partway through Adventure 1. I get the impression now that she keeps it fairly sketchy except when the details matter, like the closeups on the facial expressions on the last couple of pages.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3897 on: March 16, 2021, 07:03:55 PM »
Maybe that's because she drew the last few pages after the bunny comic. And how her way of working & style changed during that. I think on p. 399 Reynir and Kitty look a lot like bunnies.
Maybe Surma will turn out to be a cutesy giant bunny with sharp claws, the bunny comic having infected it. :mikkel:
And oh, how I love how Minna does the lighting & coloring. I can't imagine how she does it (choosing colors & such).
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #3898 on: March 16, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »
I can't imagine how she does it (choosing colors & such).
You can watch it on her Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Hummingfluff/videos.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3899 on: March 18, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
Is that blood splashing through the panel in which Onni opens his eyes? or is it just more of the red Kade-color?