Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392357 times)

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3870 on: February 25, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Thanks for explaining, guys! That is rather fun!
Groupoid, I was also surprised with the "grossling" term, but "butter good" is such an unforgettable joke that Minna explained under the page about the letter, that I don't know if anyone will ever forget it. (I might be mistaking, some times I feel like a real language nerd and remember weird things and jokes in the languages that I cannot even understand... some people may find it easy to forget).
Anyways, it does not hurt to make an explanation that is easy to find! ;)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3871 on: February 25, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »
Annuil, we regularly get people asking about what’s this with butter good over on the Disqus :) Maybe monthly or so. Not everyone pays attention to the language jokes :) And surprisingly many people forget such important things :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3872 on: February 25, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »
And we might write about the term "grossling". I was once very surprised reading that term in a fanfic, because I considered it to be a term made up by fans and non-canonical (not being used in the comic). But maybe Minna used it in a commentary once.
Groupoid, I was also surprised with the "grossling" term...
Dialogue box over panel 5 here; the speaker is, as you might expect, Sigrun.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3873 on: February 26, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
"butter good" is such an unforgettable joke that Minna explained under the page about the letter, that I don't know if anyone will ever forget it.

Not everyone pays attention to the language jokes :) And surprisingly many people forget such important things :)

And new people sometimes join, who don't know about the jokes because they weren't part of the forum when the jokes started.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3874 on: February 26, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
Dialogue box over panel 5 here; the speaker is, as you might expect, Sigrun.
Colour me surprised. Thanks for the reference. I (must) have missed this when reading. Such references I’d expect from a wiki or glossary.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3875 on: February 26, 2021, 04:31:58 PM »
As grey pointed out, I have been actively updating the wiki, but mostly the page linkee page (and should make more edits soon, I've fallen behind again).  I just got in there, made myself a login, and away I went. I am competent to cut-n-paste existing html, but that's the full extent of my knowledge.  JoB does setup and the actual admin stuff.  (If you can understand his discussions on the topic in the Website board, you may be competent enough to consider assisting.)

I remember certain bits, like Frances' comments about frantically knitting socks to help her through the stressful bits; this became the Urgent Socks.  The Dream Duck would have arisen after the sequence in chap 21 where Lalli & Emil fell asleep in the trash can, with people tying in that imagery with the duck in the Old Stone Bridge print, and other views of birds.  The Mead-Moose and squirrel cookies and the commentary surrounding that long predate my participation, but there has been some discussion reminiscing about the squirrel cookies, right about the timne Mirasol made that awesome Advent Calendar contribution.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3876 on: February 27, 2021, 03:23:13 AM »
JoB does setup and the actual admin stuff.  (If you can understand his discussions on the topic in the Website board, you may be competent enough to consider assisting.)
Actually, no, the Wiki never had another "admin" ("bureaucrat" and "sysop" groups) than its founder, Nimphy, last edit in 2014. Installing a new admin requires that one of the active contributors goes through the process of "adopting" the Wiki - or at least that was the procedure when I last checked (back when they still were Wikia, not Fandom ...).

Which is why I can't do anything about the color scheme, which did get FUBARed by one of the changes introduced by Fandom a while ago. The background used to be a much paler orange that allowed the "W" in the logo to be seen as more than just a relief ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3877 on: February 27, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »
Actually, no, the Wiki never had another "admin" ("bureaucrat" and "sysop" groups) than its founder, Nimphy, last edit in 2014. Installing a new admin requires that one of the active contributors goes through the process of "adopting" the Wiki - or at least that was the procedure when I last checked (back when they still were Wikia, not Fandom ...).

Which is why I can't do anything about the color scheme, which did get FUBARed by one of the changes introduced by Fandom a while ago. The background used to be a much paler orange that allowed the "W" in the logo to be seen as more than just a relief ...
That complicates things... According to Nimphy's profile the last time she was active in the forum was July 11, 2016...
If no one else has access to that at admin level and we don't have a way to contact her (that's why there should be at least two admins), wouldn't be better if we create another wiki, one that we could control?
I'm talking about but I never created a wiki and have no idea if it's hard or easy. But at least we would have the existing one as a starting point.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #3878 on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
Creating a Wiki is simple.
Tranfserring content from a existing one to a new one can be tricky.
Transferring things without destroying at least parts of it tends to be an epic task.

It might be possible to make the transfer easier by choosing the right version of the right software but to find out the best solution can be a lot of research or try and error.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3879 on: February 27, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »
Hey @moredhel it seems we are about to have a new Citizen very soon! Rest assured that there will be cake!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3880 on: February 28, 2021, 04:05:52 AM »
If no one else has access to that at admin level and we don't have a way to contact her (that's why there should be at least two admins), wouldn't be better if we create another wiki, one that we could control?
The main reason for me not to submit a request to adopt the SSSS Wiki myself so far was/is that I'm majorily unhappy about the way Fandom forces their updates down the throats of "nascent"/small wikis that don't have the technician workforce to deal with the fallout of that on top of trying to work on what they want their wiki to be, so I've been mulling the idea of "what if we move out?" some time ago. There is (was?) a way to download the entire Fandom-based wiki without admin privileges, but I have no idea how readily you can import that into a newly-created site.

For your reference, the wiki and this forum started roughly at the same time and used to basically have the same set of active users - until the Updates From Hell started to rain down. So, I'm pretty much still daydreaming of migrating the wiki onto the forum server, to use the same base of registered users ... but IIUC the forum's currently in a bit of an admin bind, too?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3881 on: February 28, 2021, 08:16:25 AM »
I remember certain bits, like Frances' comments about frantically knitting socks to help her through the stressful bits; this became the Urgent Socks.  The Dream Duck would have arisen after the sequence in chap 21 where Lalli & Emil fell asleep in the trash can, with people tying in that imagery with the duck in the Old Stone Bridge print, and other views of birds.  The Mead-Moose and squirrel cookies and the commentary surrounding that long predate my participation, but there has been some discussion reminiscing about the squirrel cookies, right about the timne Mirasol made that awesome Advent Calendar contribution.

From my digging in the very old threads of the forum I even found that apparently we used to have an entire palette of cookies, not just our Squirrelcookies. Namely: revival cookies, trollhouse cookies, triple-chocolate-cookies and cupcake-cookies.
(source: a picture, most likely from the meme-thread, that I saved on my computer after seeing it. I don´t remember who made it though, nor can I find it right now.) The context of these I don´t know, sadly.

(For some reason the entire cookie-discussion has interested me from the moment I joined this fandom, so that might be why I keep on bringing it up... ^^")
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3882 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
If I recall correctly, someone posted last December a picture of squirrel cookies. I looked for the post, didn’t find it, but I came across the Minnion Memes thread I’d mentioned. And at the Yarncrafter’s thread I found a post mentioning many varieties of cookies.
People who have baked their own squirrel cookies, what did you use for the crunchy bits?

JoB, what is the "Updates from Hell"?
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3883 on: February 28, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
I believe Mirasol is the current cookie chef and probably a honorary squirrel! (Or, actually, this being the internet - we don’t really have proof she’s not an actual squirrel!) But alas, the mystery of the mystery ingredient still remains :) (check the Advent Calendar 2020 thread)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3884 on: February 28, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »
Oh btw, not really related to the current page but to current date: February 28th is Onni’s name day in Finland. Happy name day, Onni! (The other name for 28.2. is Sisu. Sadly, no name day for Tuuri or Lalli)

:onni: :onni: :onni:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:28:18 PM by Jitter »