Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392408 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3840 on: January 13, 2021, 06:37:54 AM »
The bears seem to be in a station next to some highway, so at least they would be outside the central area, which would mean less critters around, but also less cover to approach. Luckily our heroes will soon have daylight.

That takes me to one question: What happens to trolls and beasts when they are exposed continuously to daylight?
We know they don't like it, that it hurts, but what would happen if Emil set the building where the bears are hiding on fire, forcing them out on an area without cover? Would they die from the exposure, like melting or burning, vampire style?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3841 on: January 13, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »
I'll have to go back and look it up, but haven't the bears returned to a base they use?  Is Onni being overly optimistic about them leaving the town?
Onni has been pursuing the kade all the way from Väinös post to Joensuu. We don't know at what point the kade hired some bear muscle, but if that happened to have been late enough to occur near Joensuu, Onni would be excused for not knowing about the bears' habits ...

The bears seem to be in a station next to some highway, so at least they would be outside the central area
The University of Eastern Finland, where the team caught up with Onni, is less than 2 km from highway 5, and residential areas sit a stone throw away from it in places ...

That takes me to one question: What happens to trolls and beasts when they are exposed continuously to daylight?
We know they don't like it, that it hurts, but what would happen if Emil set the building where the bears are hiding on fire, forcing them out on an area without cover? Would they die from the exposure, like melting or burning, vampire style?
We have no information on that beyond what the cleanse cycle implies, that is, that exposure over winter (cold) is more effective than over summer (light), and that the occasional grossling will still find suitable shelter.

OK, that and that the dusklings happily venture into sunlight while apparently wearing "shielding" only on top, and that werehouse less-happily did the same, and that werehouse's unshielded tentaclewolves merely had to stick to the shadows in the streets, ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3842 on: January 13, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »
The University of Eastern Finland, where the team caught up with Onni, is less than 2 km from highway 5, and residential areas sit a stone throw away from it in places ...
Agreed, but at least they (probably) won't be surrounded by several multi-storey buildings that can be filled with grosslings

We have no information on that beyond what the cleanse cycle implies, that is, that exposure over winter (cold) is more effective than over summer (light), and that the occasional grossling will still find suitable shelter...
Also agreed. But as you mentioned the grosslings seem to be affected only by direct sunlight. They seem to be fine in the shadows. That would be the reason why the cold is more dangerous to them: because it "penetrates" all spaces. We still don't know what happens due to a longer exposition to direct sunlight (or UV lights - we just know that those can neutralize the infectious agent).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3843 on: January 14, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »
Guys, we have to celebrate it! There is going to be a new chapter WITHOUT a Chapter Break! XoX
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3844 on: January 14, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »
Guys, we have to celebrate it! There is going to be a new chapter WITHOUT a Chapter Break! XoX

Spoiler: show
Don't mind me, I'm mostly testing out some new reaction images I uploaded.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:29:18 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #3845 on: January 14, 2021, 08:25:55 PM »
What a wonderful thing to happen!

(I'm not the only one who though, "My, what big teeth you have grandma!" the first time I saw the page, right?)
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #3846 on: January 14, 2021, 09:05:19 PM »
What a wonderful thing to happen!

(I'm not the only one who though, "My, what big teeth you have grandma!" the first time I saw the page, right?)
Phahahahaha, Lallicat, I’m rolling on a floor! :'D Now I cannot think anything else but this phrase when looking at the page!

I actually really like the palette of this upcoming chapter, forest/moss-green is my favorite color ever ;D

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3847 on: January 14, 2021, 11:00:50 PM »
-- but she's not going to have that other project done on time, is she?

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #3848 on: January 14, 2021, 11:07:16 PM »
-- but she's not going to have that other project done on time, is she?
Hopefully not... (how cruel of us) >:D :'D

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3849 on: January 15, 2021, 08:06:17 AM »
Why hope for that? I don't know if she might extend the less frequent page production of SSSS if the other project's not done.

JoB

« Reply #3850 on: January 16, 2021, 04:01:53 AM »
Since Disqus dislikes me replying to |Yucca| with the following, with three Streetview links in it, let me put it up here: There's indeed a "lift on rail, free" off the West side of the Koli ski resort, not a ski lift but rather the entrance to the complex, whose rails are a near-perfect match for the chapter title, right down to a "fat cable" running atop, though it's still yellow in Y0. ;-)

Assuming that Streetview, by chance, photographed the actual cart here, I'd say that it is self-propelled as it travels atop the rails (heck, it even has headlights like a properly licensed street vehicle ;-) and the "fat cable" is actually delivering electricity to the resort, rather than being a tow cable for the lift. (I'd expect it to run in rollers if it were, so as to prevent it moving sideways and chafing as it pulls the cart.)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3851 on: January 16, 2021, 05:53:17 AM »
That is the actual cart. I have traveled in it many times, but completely failed to consider it as the iconic view over lake Pielinen is on the other side :) I do think the cable does pull it though.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3852 on: January 16, 2021, 05:59:25 AM »
Here’s a video of the ride although it’s a lot nicer in winter. There used to be parking up at the hotel, but it was removed (and the visitor center for the National Park was built into the space) and the rail lift was installed to travel from the parking to the hotel level.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #3853 on: January 16, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
I do think the cable does pull it though.
Here’s a video of the ride
There clearly is *A* cable pulling the car; in the video, you can see it sitting in rollers on the uphill side, empty rollers as the camera shows the downhill side, and the bobbin rolling it up as the car approaches the upper terminal. However, it's a steel cable less than an inch thick, not the "fat yellow cable" seen in my Streetview link.

... does the top right sign on the resort really say "luontokeskus"? :lalli: :tuuri: :onni: XoX
[peruses Transgarble]
... ah, that's because in this case, "luonto" translates to "nature", not to the SSSS plot element of the same name. ;D

although it’s a lot nicer in winter.
I suppose that whoever has to dig it, especially the termini where the rails approach ground level, out of the snow repeatedly would likely disagree. >:D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3854 on: January 16, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
You are probably right and the fat yellow cable is power for the cable car. It’s not the power to the hotel though, the hotel predates the lift by many decades.

And the Visitor Centre is indeed Luontokeskus i.e. Nature Centre :) I think they have both lynx and some owls in there (taxidermy that is).