Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392260 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3735 on: August 15, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »
Considering that most people would include lifeforms up to and including (nematodes and) annelids into the concept, I suppose that a proper term would be "protostome" ... which would promptly gain the novel pronunciation "protest-o-me", I guess. >:D

I think a lot of people would include echinoderms and acorn worms (Hemichordata) among the creepy-crawlies, and they're deuterostomes. I like your suggested pronunciation of protostome, though!  :))

I didn’t even know there is a thing that is officially “bug”! In Finnish we have “ötökkä” which is usually used for insects and arachnids, but may include various other “creepy-crawlies”. Caterpillars etc are usually included.

Unless you mean something else by caterpillar than I do, remember they are insects.  ;)

You know what, maybe I´ll just paraphrase the sentence so I don´t even need a word for that... :'D

Keep in mind you've got a bit of a nerdy crew here... most people use "bug" in the broadest sense. I just get caught up sometimes in the futile crusade to reclaim "bug" for the Hemiptera.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3736 on: August 15, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »
Why would all the mammals be immune? If there's no source of infection on the island, non-immunes would have survived there, wouldn't they?

Perhaps there used to be sources of infection, leaving only immune animals, who then get immune young?

My first thought was similar to thorny's - why should they necessarily all be immune? But if the island isn't far out, which it appears not to be, then infected animals could reach it. Plus there are semi-aquatic mammals like mink and otter. So, anything susceptible must have died and not become a beast, and the immune ones multiplied. Any arriving beasts are few and far between, and can't infect any of the resident animals. I wonder if for that reason they move on?

If that island has had an outbreak, then - according to what Onni said - it had necessarily lost its mosquito population at that time, too. Where did the current population come from, with mosquito-free infested Silent Lands all around?

Maybe the local mosquitoes survived thanks to surviving human settlements, and then spread via stagnant water around the area.

It seems like mosquitoes are a real rarity, if Reynir had never encountered one before. But I need to remind myself that Minna is not a biologist... there are many mosquitoes that bite birds, which as non-mammals are immune. So really, there ought to be plenty of mosquitoes around, feeding on birds. I'm no mosquito expert, but at least some that bite birds also bite humans - that was the big concern when West Nile Virus turned up in eastern North America, that it would be spread from birds to humans, which did indeed happen. But the Minnaverse can have its own rules, and I should stop trying to apply our-world ecological concepts to a fictional version of the world!  :'D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3737 on: August 15, 2020, 08:50:31 PM »
Vulpes, yes, I’m aware caterpillars are insects :) But in appearance they are “worms” rather than “too many legs” (although they do have sort of legs but those are not the thin and disgusting variety). I found myself wondering whether e.g. snails are included in “ötökkä” and probably not.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3738 on: August 15, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »
Vulpes, I had not known, or had forgotten, that you were an entomologist. Must be such a fascinating job!

I’m just an enthusiastic amateur, but insects have always been fascinating to me, both because I understand enough about ecology to know how important they are in nature, and because I was the nerdy kid who started teaching herself to read while sitting in her dad’s lap while he read his way through the works of Jean-Henri Fabre. Only problem with that was that he had some volumes in the English editions, and most in the French. Back between the wars it was a bit difficult to find all the books, and most of the old volumes of Fabre’s work that were in my Gran’s library were the older French ones, while my dad could only find English ones to fill in the gaps. This switching back and forth between languages made learning to read a bit more difficult, especially when few of the folk around me used English in daily life. But I managed, and Fabre sparked a lifelong interest in the tiny creatures of our world.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:12:24 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3739 on: August 16, 2020, 05:23:57 AM »
If that island has had an outbreak, then - according to what Onni said - it had necessarily lost its mosquito population at that time, too. Where did the current population come from, with mosquito-free infested Silent Lands all around?
The eggs in still water places. THOSE would die out before laying eggs unless there was some non-infected mammal-blood for them.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3740 on: August 16, 2020, 06:54:33 AM »
Maybe the local mosquitoes survived thanks to surviving human settlements, and then spread via stagnant water around the area.
They're deep into Silent Finland (though I have no information about what distances a mosquito would or wouldn't call "a marathon") and Reynir apparently did not meet any in "the capital" / Finlands int'l harbor, either, which should be on the rather large side of existing settlements.

Any arriving beasts are few and far between, and can't infect any of the resident animals. I wonder if for that reason they move on?
Hm. The rules stated in-comic say that beasts aren't inclined to do much wandering, and don't have a "move on or starve!" motivation forcing them to. When I think about them having a nonzero chance of winding up on this Rash-free island, I'm primarily thinking along the lines of "washed into the lake in a storm and unwilling to just pop out some gills and fins" ...

I'm no mosquito expert, but at least some that bite birds also bite humans
The logic implied by Onni is that "if they're willing to bite mammals and there are any infected within range, they'll randomly try to nom one of those sooner or later and promptly die", which makes it somewhat irrelevant who their usual victims are.

The eggs in still water places.
... IIUC you're assuming that the Rash had come to the island and gone again in between the eggs being laid and having evolved into an imago? Fat chance, given the near-immortality of grosslings ...

Spoiler: math nerd talk • show

I could not find any info whether female mosquitos lay but one clutch, or several. In the latter case, she does, of course, not first do all the bloodsucking of her lifetime and then start laying eggs if and only if she didn't die from chancing onto a rashed victim, so there's a nonzero probability that she gets to lay eggs even in an infested area, and the infestation is going to kill off the mosquito population only over several of their generations. But still, what Onni stated is that seeing even a single mosquito is proof that there's no Rash in the vicinity.

I think a lot of people would include echinoderms and acorn worms (Hemichordata) among the creepy-crawlies, and they're deuterostomes.
The problem with that is that "deuterostome" (and thus the next-higher clade encompassing both, nephrozoa) does contain all the critters people usually want to not associate with "creepy crawly" and similar terms of endearment. :3

most people use "bug" in the broadest sense. I just get caught up sometimes in the futile crusade to reclaim "bug" for the Hemiptera.
So you're saying that that topic does not personally bug you? 8)

Speaking of faces: I have had another thought, based on recent greater experience with face masks. Reynir must be wearing his 24/7, no?
Actually, no. Even if we assume that Minna will occasionally just not draw it at all (in addition to half-transparent versions), it has been established that Reynir is sometimes out and about sans mask. After all, most grosslings have to bite him to get him infected ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

phocena

• Preferred pronouns: He/His, They/Their
« Reply #3741 on: August 16, 2020, 04:53:49 PM »
Full speculation mode now (disclaimer I am not an entomologist):
- I'd imagine that after several decades mosquitoes would evolve to avoid biting and be repulsed by trolls. Maybe even be magically repulsed by them at a distance beyond what they can smell.

- It also seems that in the Sahel, where all stagnant water dries out for 3-8 months, female mosquitoes there seasonally migrate 100 km or more by catching high wind currents (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1622-4), so its possible post apoc mosquitoes could learn to migrate as well - actually the fact millions of malaria bearing mosquitoes travel hundreds of kilometers across semi desert regions is already pretty post apocalyptic.

- Finally, mosquitoes don't actually need blood to stay alive - they feast on nectar. Blood is only required to provide protein needed to make eggs.

So it could be possible that some of our moSSSSquitos migrate across the lake system, feeding on nectar throughout their lifespan, and only the ones that find safezones would be able to lay eggs. Safezones that remain safe for several years could then support large mosquito populations as the eggs hatch and local mosquitoes continue to proliferate. However, this also means that surviving Finns would not be safe from the bane of mosquitoes either, barring magic.

EDIT: While mosquitoes are apparently rare, they seem common enough that Reynir, who grew up his entire life in an island with no mosquitoes, was able to know what a mosquito was within a year of being outside.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:07:23 PM by phocena »
native: :usa:
rusty: :mexico:
learning: :egypt:
want to learn: :southkorea:
maybe one day: :china:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3742 on: August 16, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »
It is only the females that drink blood, Males eat plant juices.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #3743 on: August 17, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »
Jumping in to say... I am SO glad that a version of Tuuri is back! I missed her ;-; now she has to STAY FOREVER. non-negotiable...
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3744 on: August 17, 2020, 06:53:12 PM »
So you're saying that that topic does not personally bug you? 8)

Haha, no, not really, despite going on about it. Every now and then I get into this with someone, just for fun - I'm fine with "bug" in the general sense of creepy-crawly and sometimes catch myself using it. And then there are all the other usages, one of which you demonstrated. If I tried to clean English of all non-Hemiptera uses of "bug", I'd go buggy!   ;D

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3745 on: August 18, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
If I tried to clean English of all non-Hemiptera uses of "bug", I'd go buggy!   ;D
It'd be downright hopeless for sure. I recommend quitting at the "bug-eyed" stage instead! ::)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3746 on: August 23, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
I’m jumping in with a question that is a little off of the theme of the thread, but I couldn’t find a better place to ask... I was looking through the official store (the one that always has a link to it under the pages of the comic) and I couldn’t find a way to buy the first two books in the hard cover... Is there some other place Minna sells them or they are just out of stock? I missed the time they were printed and didn’t buy them right away, so... does anyone know if there is a hope that they will be back in stock or I just lost my chance of getting them?

(I’m sorry if this isn’t the right thread…)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3747 on: August 23, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
I’m jumping in with a question that is a little off of the theme of the thread, but I couldn’t find a better place to ask... I was looking through the official store (the one that always has a link to it under the pages of the comic) and I couldn’t find a way to buy the first two books in the hard cover... Is there some other place Minna sells them or they are just out of stock? I missed the time they were printed and didn’t buy them right away, so... does anyone know if there is a hope that they will be back in stock or I just lost my chance of getting them?
I went to the Hivemill store and had no problem in adding to the cart the first book hardcover for 39$, and the second one for $35. I didn't proceed further, but it seems that they have them in stock. Maybe some browser problem on your side?
(The books are also available in the kickstarter as options).
Aside from Hivemill and Minna's own store (when it's open, and when she has books to deliver) there's no way to buy the books AFAIK. Except in French, from Aquileos.fr
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3748 on: August 23, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
Annuil, no problem for me either. When you enter the store the books 1 and 2 are the first two entries. It says "6 $" under it, which is the ebook, but clicking on that will take you to the hardcover. Note that the entry is both for the ebook and the hardcover!

There is also the 3-book bundle left on the Kickstarter, which includes all three in hardcover + stickers. The shipping date for that is late this year, in the Hivemill store I believe they have the books ready for shipping.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3749 on: August 23, 2020, 06:18:44 PM »
Oooh, thank you! I got it! I never opened it, because the website showed it as a $6 e-book... So I didn’t click the button! Thank you again, that solves the problem! ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿